tjg_marantz

RIP Chris Cornell

Post by tjg_marantz »

52, poo.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Post by LordMortis »

Local news is saying probable suicide. :( Be at peace. I was just thinking about him the other day, reading the lyrics to Cop Killer from Lollapollooza back in the early 90s.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy shit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While Soundgarden was my least favorite of the "big four" grunge bands (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam), Cornell had some serious pipes. Seriously, that dude could do amazing things with his voice. My favorite song of theirs was off the "Singles" soundtrack, Birth Ritual. RIP Chris.

Crazy to think that of that big four, Pearl Jam is the only one with a surviving singer. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote:While Soundgarden was my least favorite of the "big four" grunge bands (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam), Cornell had some serious pipes. Seriously, that dude could do amazing things with his voice. My favorite song of theirs was off the "Singles" soundtrack, Birth Ritual. RIP Chris.

Crazy to think that of that big four, Pearl Jam is the only one with a surviving singer. :(
For me Louder Than Love was what Nevermind or Ten was seemingly for everyone else my age. I never became a huge huge fan the SubPop or Seattle sound but "Hands All Over" being played at the clubs always came on right as you were hitting the magic "I'm still a minor and I may have had one drink too many moment." That album would be in the top five soundtracks of my youth.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I saw Soundgarden open for Guns n Roses back when I first started college. I had never heard of them before (Soundgarden) but I loved GNR. Soundgarden was fantastic and put on a hell of a show. Axl Rose was over an hour late and GNR was just meh.

Dang shame.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Damn.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Real bummer. Especially if the suicide reports are true...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, this sucks. Soundgarden was my least favorite of the big four grunge bands as well. However, I learned to appreciate them later in life and particularly learned to appreciate Chris Cornell when he headed up Audioslave. I'd be willing to say he was THE best vocalist to come out of the grunge movement.

When I read the news this morning I immediately thought of my co-worker who is an absolutely huge Chris Cornell fan. She was utterly devastated.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He had a really good James Bond song too
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote:I'd be willing to say he was THE best vocalist to come out of the grunge movement.
In terms of technical ability, that's without question. For all his amazing range, however, I always found Cornell's delivery to be rather emotionless.

Layne Staley brought that utterly tortured emotion, which made him my favorite.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree. Cornell had the power but Staley had that weird sound/style that was fascinating.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This has made me the sads. Like most, Soundgarden was never my favorite of the big 4 (although I liked all of them), but I always thought Cornell had the best voice in the group. I was a much bigger fan of Audioslave. And Cornell's various covers (Billie Jean, Nothing Compares 2 U) are phenomenal (IMO). That said, Layne Staley was my favorite out of that bunch. For the reasons others have stated.

I guess Eddie Vedder is the last man standing.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:I guess Eddie Vedder is the last man standing.
Forget Mark Lanegan at your own peril - still delivering the goods after 30+ years. Vedder is definitely more well known, but not nearly as prolific. Of the so-called big four, Soundgarden was my favorite, but I've really come to enjoy the entire catalog of Lanegan.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Lannegan is still out there huh. Wow he has an awesome voice. Loved Uncle Anesthesia. Some of his music after Screaming Trees was more bluesy which i didn't care for.

Sorry to see Cornel go. As many here he wasn't my favorite of the seattle bands, but their music was good. I think I saw em live during lolapolooza. Dont remember much of the show. Yeah inebriation!

Just sad to see him depart and if it was suicide, that sucks. But I can't judge that. Looks like Chris broke his rusty cage and ran.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A colleague had tickets for a show in eight days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:While Soundgarden was my least favorite of the "big four" grunge bands (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam), Cornell had some serious pipes. Seriously, that dude could do amazing things with his voice. My favorite song of theirs was off the "Singles" soundtrack, Birth Ritual. RIP Chris.

For me Louder Than Love was what Nevermind or Ten was seemingly for everyone else my age. I never became a huge huge fan the SubPop or Seattle sound but "Hands All Over" being played at the clubs always came on right as you were hitting the magic "I'm still a minor and I may have had one drink too many moment." That album would be in the top five soundtracks of my youth.
I'm right there with you on Louder Than Love and "Hands All Over." Very sad to see this news.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:I guess Eddie Vedder is the last man standing.
Forget Mark Lanegan at your own peril
Mark Lanegan wasn't a front man for one of the big four.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:Mark Lanegan wasn't a front man for one of the big four.
True, but he existed before and exists after. He's likely the most underappreciated artist of the so-called "grunge" scene, IMHO.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Road Rash on the 3DO got me hooked on Soundgarden. I must have heard Rusty Cage about 8 billion times because of that game. And yes I was one of 5 people that bought a 3DO. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Octavious wrote:Road Rash on the 3DO got me hooked on Soundgarden. I must have heard Rusty Cage about 8 billion times because of that game. And yes I was one of 5 people that bought a 3DO. :lol:

Same here. It was that soundtrack that hooked me when I rented the console :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Mark Lanegan wasn't a front man for one of the big four.
True, but he existed before and exists after. He's likely the most underappreciated artist of the so-called "grunge" scene, IMHO.
Tad? (Though I wasn't a fan. I was never a real "grunge" guy. I was an "industrial" guy.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote:Tad? (Though I wasn't a fan. I was never a real "grunge" guy. I was an "industrial" guy.)
Lanegan was making music at least 4 years before TAD. Soundgarden and Screaming Trees formed in 1984, but the alleged "true" fathers of Grunge were Malfunkshun and Green River, both around 1980. Malfunkshun gave us Mother Love Bone via Andrew Wood and Green River gave us Pearl Jam and Mudhoney. I still listen to Temple of the Dog and now wish I'd seen their reunion tour last year. I can clearly remember hearing Nirvana for the first time in high school. After that, they all sort of blur together. This whole thing is really bringing me down. :(
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I can clearly remember hearing Nirvana for the first time in high school. After that, they all sort of blur together. This whole thing is really bringing me down. :(
Nevermind came out in the fall of our senior year in high school, but I don't remember grunge becoming a thing on the east coast for a while after that. By our freshman year in college, it was *everywhere*. At the time, Pearl Jam's Ten was the album that sold me. I didn't really care for Nirvana until much later (after Cobain's death). If I'm just sitting around listening to things from that era these days, it will almost always start with Alice in Chains.
Make up bags of change
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I can clearly remember hearing Nirvana for the first time in high school. After that, they all sort of blur together. This whole thing is really bringing me down. :(
Nevermind came out in the fall of our senior year in high school, but I don't remember grunge becoming a thing on the east coast for a while after that. By our freshman year in college, it was *everywhere*. At the time, Pearl Jam's Ten was the album that sold me. I didn't really care for Nirvana until much later (after Cobain's death). If I'm just sitting around listening to things from that era these days, it will almost always start with Alice in Chains.
Louder Than Love was first, last, and always for me. "Full on Kev's Mom" was as eye opening for what music could be as was Ministry's "Flashback".
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, Nevermind (and Smells Like Teen Spirt) were fall of 1991. Amazingly, Pearl Jam's Ten was released right around the same time - August of 1991 but didn't take off until later in 1992. Badmotorfinger from Soundgarden was October of 1991. I remember the MTV playing the HELL out of all those songs, but yes showing up to college in the Fall of 1992 was grunge-tactular - and that's exactly when Dirt from AiC was released (September of 1992).

Also, we are f-ing old.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think I'm going to lose a lot of cred here by admitting that I have never heard of The Screaming Trees.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was at lunch one day with some co-workers and we got on the subject of music. We were sitting there talking about old 90s bands and our first albums, etc. And I just happen to look over and there was this group of teenagers at an adjacent table just laughing their asses off at us.

Getting old sucks, but on the bright side I make more money than they do and don't have a curfew. :horse:
Rip

Post by Rip »

My daughter just saw Soundgarden and Mastodon back on May the 6th in Carolina.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:I think I'm going to lose a lot of cred here by admitting that I have never heard of The Screaming Trees.
I'd be genuinely shocked if anyone didn't recognize Nearly Lost You when hearing it.

Here..
Make up bags of change
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

as a Seattle resident, this is big news here. check out KEXP.org's live stream
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

RunningMn9 wrote:
McNutt wrote:I think I'm going to lose a lot of cred here by admitting that I have never heard of The Screaming Trees.
I'd be genuinely shocked if anyone didn't recognize Nearly Lost You when hearing it.

Here..
All I Know got a ton of airplay as well.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

RunningMn9 wrote:I'd be genuinely shocked if anyone didn't recognize Nearly Lost You when hearing it.

Here..
Yes, I've heard that. I had no idea who played it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... 8352-story
The Wayne County Medical Examiner has confirmed the cause of death for rocker Chris Cornell as hanging by suicide.
sigh
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The Wayne County Medical Examiner needs an editor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fretmute wrote:The Wayne County Medical Examiner needs an editor.
At least Fox 2 does.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I'd be willing to say he was THE best vocalist to come out of the grunge movement.
In terms of technical ability, that's without question. For all his amazing range, however, I always found Cornell's delivery to be rather emotionless.

Layne Staley brought that utterly tortured emotion, which made him my favorite.
I saw Cornell do an acoustic show at a theatre a few years ago.
The stripped down versions of his songs made me appreciate his voice much, much more. Without having to scream over guitars, bass and drums, you could hear the small intricacies and the subtle changes in range.
His voice was truly an instrument.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

It's interesting. All of my friends on Facebook (and you guys here) are talking about all of this music that I know nothing about. I had never even heard of Chris Cornell. Heard of Soundgarden, but if you offered me a million dollars to name one of their songs, well, I'd still be showing up at work tomorrow.

The early 90's appear to be a blind spot in my musical repertoire.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote:Yes, I've heard that. I had no idea who played it.
Well, there's no time like the present. The album it is off of Sweet Oblivion is top notch; it's still in my current rotation. Oddly enough Mark Lanegan has stated in interviews he really doesn't like all his early work. After you get into that, go and get Whiskey for the Holy Ghost.

But I didn't come here to talk Lanegan...or maybe I did. The other really big point in time I remember with Chris Cornell was when he released his first solo effort - Euphoria Morning, but it wasn't until years later that I learned one of the songs ("Wave Goodbye") was written in memory of Jeff Buckley. Regardless, Euphoria Morning is another album that is still in my current rotation and one I listen to frequently. For those hung up on his blunt-instrument Soundgarden voice, try this album as a way to hear him in a different way.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I always liked Hunger Strike, personally.

I wasn't a huge fan of Cornell's music, even though I really liked his voice. And somehow Superunknown was one of the first CDs I ever owned.