Dogs are expensive... Anyone have pet insurance?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Dogs are expensive... Anyone have pet insurance?

Post by naednek »

So Friday we take the kids to a SF Giants Triple A (The Rivercats) game. We got home late from the game and let Toby loose around the house while we got the kids ready to bed. This gave him some time to stretch out after being in his pen for about 5 hours. Right now he still has accidents so we keep him there when we are not home.

We all go to bed and around 1:45am we hear Toby vomiting in his crate. We get everything cleaned up and go back to bed, only to awake two hours later to hear him yakking again. Eventually he yakked 3 times in a 6 hour period. We took him to the vet in the morning as he wouldn't eat or drink, and later had the squirts. They first tested for Parvo which thankfully came back negative. He was fully vacinated but wanted to be sure it wasn't that, as it is deadly the longer you wait to treat.

Ran some blood tests and found out some things were low and it was suggested that he ate something that had Xylitol, a "sugar free" sweetener used in sugar free gum, candy, some types of peanut butter and most sugar free food.

It could have been anything, and we think it might have been some cotton candy that the kids had residue on their hands and face. Or he ate something when we were getting the kids in bed as he was fine when we left for the game.

$400 later he is home. They had him on IV's and gave us some special food to get him back on track. He's eating well, but is very tired. He's still not his usual self and hope it's just him being tired from all the poking and prodding yesterday.

We are on a wellness plan at Petsmart that is similar to insurance but doesn't cover everything like bloodwork and exrays. Our plan was to use this plan the first year since it covers shots, neuter, office visits, thinking Toby wouldn't be seen for anything serious at a young age.... Well that backfired.

What insurance do you use, and what should we look for?

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Re: Dogs are expensive... Anyone have pet insurance?

Post by Kraken »

Glad your pooch is ok. $400 actually isn't too outrageous for a vet emergency.

As for insurance, just transfer whatever you can afford into a savings escrow every month. I call mine "medical" to cover both vet and doctors bills. In theory, I'm gradually building up a balance while our cats are young and healthy that I'll need when they start breaking down in 10-15 years. In practice, Wife is spending it on dental bills a lot faster than I can save it. But her 3-year program to build a bionic mouth will finally be over next year, and the account can finally start working as intended (assuming no other medical emergencies in the interim).

If you have the discipline and organization to do that, it's better to pay yourself than an insurance company, because odds are you'll pay more in premiums than you'll get back in benefits. They're kinda counting on that.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have 3 cats and no dog, but I don't have any pet insurance. They are very old now (18 each this year), so I'm paying out about $1500/year altogether for their meds and checkups and such. For their first 13 years they cost me ~200, for shots and a yearly exam. I'm leaving out food and other obvious expenses.

I think the Kraken way is probably the best. I'm lucky and I can spend a few grand when an emergency arises, although given the age of my pets I have to weigh the cost vs quality of life (I am my own "death panel", just like every insurance company).

My friend has a known-expensive dog, so he got the insurance right away. It seems to be working out for him. I don't know what his premiums are but he takes his pooch in for heart things and dental cleanings and sends in the bill for reimbursement, and I guess they send him a check or something.

If you have the means, do the monthly pet fund saving thing and who knows, maybe if your pet passes from natural causes you can save that fund for the next pet.
There is no hug button. Sad!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We have 6 dogs (four of them Yorkies) and we just take our chances.
Yorkies do throw up a lot. Usually some kind of food didn't agree with them. They have very sensitive stomachs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

We have the Petsmart/Banfield Wellness plan as well.
I think there are different tiers you can get for it, but you should also be able to see what the bill is without the plan. Typically for stuff that isn't 100% covered, it still provides a discount similar to human medical insurance.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think the trick is finding a local vet that will take that insurance, not that I have any pets, of course.

According to articles... Xylitol is in deodorants and toothpastes. Given you have a small dog, doesn't take a lot to affect it.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
naednek

Post by naednek »

ya, this has done a number on him. He went back to the vet yesterday for follow up. They said he looks much better than the day before. He was still laying around without much energy, but was eating and drinking. Last night he had lava diahrea every 2 hours... Took him again today to be checked out for dehydration. If they suggest more iv's that's another $400.

we need Obama care for animals :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

So Toby went back in yesterday for more IV treatment... The new theory is that he didn't ingest any Xlyitol but has a genetic condition regarding liver shunts that are common in Yorkshire Terriers. We have to wait till he's done spewing hot lava and then test for that. If he does have it, it means surgery and a new diet. Not sure where we'll from that point. I can't keep spending $300-500 every couple of days.

Now the possibility of insurance is pretty much gone as now he'll have a pre-existing condition... This sucks all around.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

We use Nationwide, formally VPI insurance. We pay about $100/month for 3 dogs but I get a discount through work. They cover a wellness visit each year, all vaccinations, and 90% reimbursement of medical claims for accidents, injuries or illnesses.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Toby had a Ultrasound today and turns out he doesnt' have a liver shunt, but has a thick intestine or IBD. He now has to eat prescription food to help him digest. $80 for a 17 pound bag.

Ultrasound was $450. They gave him a vitamin B shot that's $20, all told, Toby just ate my one time bonus that I received 2 months ago. All $1700 of it. That was supposed to pay for next year's vacation. Time to start saving again.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

naednek wrote:IBD. He now has to eat prescription food to help him digest. $80 for a 17 pound bag.
Hill's Prescription Diet Digestive Care is $61 for 17.6 lb w/ shipping on Chewy.com

Also see

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... pets.aspx# which has a good discussion on overall diagnosis and maintainence.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I had the PetSmart/Banfield Wellness plan for a long time. That worked out well, but my dog needed surgery and I ended up switching him to a similar plan at a different vet. We saved a significant chunk of change that way, and whatever expenses I did have to pay for out of pocket went on to my CareCredit card, so I would generally get between 6 months and 2 years to pay it off interest free.

Now I don't have any plan, because my wife is a receptionist at a vets office. We get most treatments for pennies on the dollar, and pay cost for medication and prescription food. :P
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kasey Chang wrote:Hill's Prescription Diet Digestive Care is $61 for 17.6 lb w/ shipping on Chewy.com
I've used PetFlow in the past, and I would recommend it. You can get on a subscription service with them. I could have them ship the food early, delay it, skip a month, and cancel without any fees or issues. I never had any problem with it, and the only reason I stopped using it is because our dog has allergies and we have him on a food trial now.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

soulbringer wrote:We use Nationwide, formally VPI insurance. We pay about $100/month for 3 dogs but I get a discount through work. They cover a wellness visit each year, all vaccinations, and 90% reimbursement of medical claims for accidents, injuries or illnesses.
That sounds pretty reasonable, almost makes me want to take the leap. Just need to get a bit more off my plate first. :(
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm about to spend my escrow refund to get my two girls fixed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm about to spend my escrow refund to get my two girls fixed.

Can't you just tell them not to date any drummers?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
naednek

Post by naednek »

damn dog ate one of my daughter's doll's shoe... $3.5K later... Thank God for insurance
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's one expensive doll.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Don't worry, my tenant stepped on my dogs foot and broke it. $5K later (yes I should have gotten insurance) his foot is in a huge bandage with a screw and four pins in it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our dog was once given a $3000 diagnosis. That was borderline "doggie heaven" as far as I was concerned, but my wife agreed to it only because she recently came to us from my deceased mother. Turned out to only be a $800 version of the diagnosis, so she was able to keep living. Cleaning her poo stains from the carpet tonight is testament to that.

I don't think I'd get pet insurance because nobody in our family appears to be especially attached to any animals in the house. When we had some unwanted kittens that were feral in nature (they never bonded with humans), I had to remove them from the premises. My son still thinks it's a secret he's just party too...he'll whisper that they are "at the farm." :D
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife is on Medicare and Medicaid so I think it would be free for her.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ended up being around $1900. No surgery. Still pissed