Ariana Grande Concert Explosion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Ariana Grande Concert Explosion

Post by malchior »

There has been a report that there was an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert with a "number of fatalities reported". The performer herself has been reported as being "ok".

According to a Live thread on Reddit - security was light without even bag checks. Maybe related, maybe not.

Edit: NBC is going with an Unconfirmed report from "officials" that more than 20 killed with over a hundred injured.
Enough

Re: Ariana Grande Concert Explosion

Post by Enough »

Ugh, this is awful. They are now reporting that it is being investigated as a suicide bombing.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Manchester police statement on bbc says 19 dead 50 injured so far
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I was hoping that title didn't think what I thought it meant.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Reports now that it happened outside the venue, which would explain why it happened at the end of the show.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Authorities now confirming that it was a suicide bomber, waiting for the crowd to exit the arena, into a large foyer and tunnel leading to the train station.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm really not feeling very PC right now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Darned Presbyterian fanatics. Sympathies to the dead, dying, injured, and their families. :(
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Iran condemns UK attack

LONDON: Iran condemned a suicide attack at a pop concert in Manchester that killed 22 people, but in an apparent swipe at Western security cooperation with Gulf Arab states said "artificial alliances" would not eliminate such threats.

"Terrorism will be uprooted only by taking comprehensive measures, and avoiding double standards," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted as saying by state news agency IRNA on Tuesday.

"Artificial alliances would not stop the expansion of cancerous terrorism in the world."

Monday's attack at a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester killed at least 22 people and wounded 59.

U.S. President Donald Trump opened an anti-terrorism centre in Saudi Arabia during his tour in the region, and accused Iran of being a key source of funding and support for militant groups in the Middle East.

Iran denies the claims and says Saudi Arabia is the real source of funding for Islamist militants.

In a separate comment reflecting heated rhetoric between Tehran and Riyadh, former commander of the Revolutionary Guard, Mohsen Rezaei tweeted: "Terrorist explosion in Manchester is the result of Trump's sword dance with the chief of terrorists."

Trump and White House officials took part in a ceremonial sword dance in Saudi Arabia on Saturday after signing a US$110 billion arms sale with Riyadh, Iran's arch-rival in the region.

Rezaei is now secretary-general the Expediency Council, a body that mediates in disputes between different parts of the state and is independent from the government.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fucking hell. Should know better than looking at the news every morning. How horrible.
malchior wrote:
According to a Live thread on Reddit - security was light without even bag checks. Maybe related, maybe not.
Don't think it would have mattered. And even if they put in an exclusion zone outside, the bomber would have waited outside of that.

Heard there was an arrest so maybe there will be better information soon.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Fucking hell. Should know better than looking at the news every morning. How horrible.
That pretty much sums it up. Targeting civilians is evil. Targeting an event that is likely made up of children and teenagers? Profound sadness is all I can feel.
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

Smoove_B wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Fucking hell. Should know better than looking at the news every morning. How horrible.
That pretty much sums it up. Targeting civilians is evil. Targeting an event that is likely made up of children and teenagers? Profound sadness is all I can feel.
And my understanding was that targeting non-combatants is forbidden in the Koran, so this is just dispicable.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Holman

Post by Holman »

ISIS has claimed responsibility, and authorities are pointing out that this seems to have been a fairly sophisticated bomb requiring some level of training. This probably wasn't a lone-wolf operation.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote:ISIS has claimed responsibility, and authorities are pointing out that this seems to have been a fairly sophisticated bomb requiring some level of training. This probably wasn't a lone-wolf operation.
I heard this -- sophisticated plot requiring training and coordination -- over and over again last night on CNN. But I didn't hear any evidence for that. Is it just not being released? They were comparing a suicide bombing attack to a person driving a car through a crowd and said that one is much more likely to be a lone wolf than the other. But why? Is it so hard to make a bomb that can be manually detonated in a crowd? If the Boston Marathon bombing idiots could make those remote detonated pressure cooker bombs, I don't see why the fact that it was a suicide bombing, alone, would indicate a high level of sophistication requiring multiple actors and logistical support. What am I missing?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

All I've heard is that the bomb seems to be of the sort that requires bomb-maker training. This might (I don't know) mean that the explosives weren't the kind you can make in your kitchen.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

From an article this morning in WaPo:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said late Monday that there was “no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving music venues in the United States,” but added that Americans may see “increased security in and around public places and events as officials take additional precautions.”
This response I really don't get. How is increasing security at concerts going to do anything other than inconvenience people and make an otherwise enjoyable experience a complete bear?

I saw U2 in Seattle earlier this month, and the security was tight. Metal detectors and bag checks outside of all entrances. They actually refused to allow in ANY bags that weren't see through. My wife had a very small purse, and they tried to make her throw it away. She only got it in because she emptied the contents into her pockets and rolled up the purse and showed security that it was small enough to fit in her pocket as well. Then she was allowed to bring it in . . . Just stupid.

And all the time while we were waiting outside (probably 45 minutes) in a mass of humanity, I kept thinking, if this security is supposed to make us safer, it's having the opposite effect. We're all crowded up here like sitting ducks.

Also, from what I've read, this attack happened after the concert and just outside the venue when everyone was streaming out. The attacker likely didn't even make it inside. Increased security to get into the venue is not going to help in situations like this.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We went to see the Lion King in NYC about 2 months ago and the security presence was noticeable. Not only we were subject to a pat down, but they were checking bags and thee was a K9 unit walking up and down the line of people waiting to get in. I haven't been to a major sporting event in a few years, but it seemed to be a step up (slightly) from what I remember (casual pat-down). Regardless, the foyer/entrance area of the theater would have been an easy target for someone wearing a suicide vest to hit as the show was ending and the in and out crowd was mixing. This is exactly the type of thing I've been expecting for a while because there's really nothing you're going to do to stop it. Attacks on malls, movie theaters or concerts -- any place where you have tons of people moving around, there's really only so much you can realistically do.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote:We went to see the Lion King in NYC about 2 months ago and the security presence was noticeable. Not only we were subject to a pat down, but they were checking bags and thee was a K9 unit walking up and down the line of people waiting to get in. I haven't been to a major sporting event in a few years, but it seemed to be a step up (slightly) from what I remember (casual pat-down). Regardless, the foyer/entrance area of the theater would have been an easy target for someone wearing a suicide vest to hit as the show was ending and the in and out crowd was mixing. This is exactly the type of thing I've been expecting for a while because there's really nothing you're going to do to stop it. Attacks on malls, movie theaters or concerts -- any place where you have tons of people moving around, there's really only so much you can realistically do.
There's no more "casual pat-down" when getting into sporting events anymore. Every game I go to now has you either pass through a metal detector with your pockets empty, or get wanded by a hand held metal detector with your pockets empty. All bags get searched. And for NFL games, it's clear bags, or you don't get to bring it in (other sports aren't that bad yet). At Verizon Center, they even make people turn on laptops that they bring to games (why people are bringing computers is another story for another time), slowing things down even more.

If you go to ANY sporting event with a large crowd now, you have to get there early or know where gates with short lines are, or there's a chance you're getting in late due to the security check.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote:From an article this morning in WaPo:
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said late Monday that there was “no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving music venues in the United States,” but added that Americans may see “increased security in and around public places and events as officials take additional precautions.”
This response I really don't get. How is increasing security at concerts going to do anything other than inconvenience people and make an otherwise enjoyable experience a complete bear?

I saw U2 in Seattle earlier this month, and the security was tight. Metal detectors and bag checks outside of all entrances. They actually refused to allow in ANY bags that weren't see through. My wife had a very small purse, and they tried to make her throw it away. She only got it in because she emptied the contents into her pockets and rolled up the purse and showed security that it was small enough to fit in her pocket as well. Then she was allowed to bring it in . . . Just stupid.

And all the time while we were waiting outside (probably 45 minutes) in a mass of humanity, I kept thinking, if this security is supposed to make us safer, it's having the opposite effect. We're all crowded up here like sitting ducks.

It's all theater. The more inconvenienced people are, the safer it must be, right?

The clear bag thing is a joke. I tried to bring a bag into an NFL game. The wouldn't let me but I didn't want to leave the bag. So I walked to the official NFL clear bag selling guy, paid $15 for a clear bag, and put my bag inside it. At the checkpoint, they looked at the clear bag, saw my previously verboten bag inside, and waived me through. Took the same clear plastic bag last fall, same thing. No checking, they just see it's the official bag and off you go.

And yeah, the checkpoint funnels are basically kill zones.

I don't go to games much anymore. When I do I get tickets that have valets at the special gate (United Center) or that allow entry via the suite or media gates.

2 search warrants executed in Manchester in connection.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:We went to see the Lion King in NYC about 2 months ago and the security presence was noticeable. Not only we were subject to a pat down, but they were checking bags and thee was a K9 unit walking up and down the line of people waiting to get in. I haven't been to a major sporting event in a few years, but it seemed to be a step up (slightly) from what I remember (casual pat-down). Regardless, the foyer/entrance area of the theater would have been an easy target for someone wearing a suicide vest to hit as the show was ending and the in and out crowd was mixing. This is exactly the type of thing I've been expecting for a while because there's really nothing you're going to do to stop it. Attacks on malls, movie theaters or concerts -- any place where you have tons of people moving around, there's really only so much you can realistically do.
There's no more "casual pat-down" when getting into sporting events anymore. Every game I go to now has you either pass through a metal detector with your pockets empty, or get wanded by a hand held metal detector with your pockets empty. All bags get searched. And for NFL games, it's clear bags, or you don't get to bring it in (other sports aren't that bad yet). At Verizon Center, they even make people turn on laptops that they bring to games (why people are bringing computers is another story for another time), slowing things down even more.

If you go to ANY sporting event with a large crowd now, you have to get there early or know where gates with short lines are, or there's a chance you're getting in late due to the security check.
The only sporting events I go to these days are Utah football games, but for a crowd of just under 50K, there's no metal detectors there. They do a cursory bag check (searching far more for verboten alcohol than anything nefarious, I suspect), but that's basically it. It would be rather easy to sneak in a weapon simply by sticking in a jacket instead of a bag.

Will be interesting to see if that gets tightened up after events like this.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I went to a Mets game and they had no issues with me bringing in my camera backpack and I had all kinds of random bits in it. I'm thinking next time I'll just leave it behind. Not that I'm really eager to hit a Mets game right now anyway. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
DD*

Post by DD* »

Yet another example of that "religion of peace" being spread throughout the world...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Holman

Post by Holman »

DD* wrote:Yet another example of that "religion of peace" being spread throughout the world...
You can't make a distinction between extremist violence and the mainstream? Really?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It does seem to be getting harder.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When I drove to Wichita Falls, I would pass a Muslim cemetery. Not once was I attacked by zombies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Which religion of peace do you mean? Looks like "Christians" aren't doing too well yourselves in that love thy neighbour stakes. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... 30-says-un
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Don't get in the way of their beliefs man, they'll come after you next.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If you guys want to discuss the religious aspects of this, we have another forum for that.

Thanks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Several arrests in Manchester. Haven't had a chance to catch up but it sounds like they cast a pretty wide net, hopefully they get to everyone involved.

One of the locations was an AirBnB location. Going to raise some issues there.

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: One of the locations was an AirBnB location. Going to raise some issues there.
Why would it raise issues just because it is an AirBnB?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Homeless Hero In Manchester Attack Gets Help From Billionaire
Mr. Rogers said when things get scary to "look for the helpers." That is exactly what Stephen Jones was on Monday night when the bombs went off at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester. Jones is a homeless man, and when he heard the explosions he was sleeping outside the arena. He ran towards the chaos to help the wounded, especially the children, flee the scene.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow