RIP Roger Moore

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

RIP Roger Moore

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Still get teased for preferring him to Connery.

Watching Moonraker this week.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Re: RIP Roger Moore

Post by malchior »

I grew to like Connery more over time but Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Still get teased for preferring him to Connery.
He's my favorite Bond.

RIP :(
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Roger Moore didn't have the tough guy image that Connery brought to Bond, but I always thought he was a more believable spy. The biggest shame though is that they mostly gave him just awful scripts.

RIP Sir Moore.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

malchior wrote:I grew to like Connery more over time but Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with.
Thats exactly me. My first Bond movies were Roger Moore ones. I begged to go see Never Say Never Again and was like WTH? WHo is this playing Bond!?? In fact its that movie that made me read up on Bond and who played him. I had no idea there were so many.

Then all those years I had to put up with asshats making fun of Moore and his hair. Sad thats all they could muster :) In time I grew to love them both and the others were ok too.

RIP Roger. Was a wild ride and you did it with class. May you have all the Octopussy you want. :)

No pic yet? For shame...

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue May 23, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

He brought a sense of humor to the role that other Bonds have struggled with (or in the case of Craig, abandon altogether). His movies had some of the cheesiest plots, but I liked him -- nobody did it better.

Time was not kind to him though, interviews I saw of him in recent years did not seem like the same person.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote:I grew to like Connery more over time but Roger Moore was the Bond I grew up with.
Same here.

RIP
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I did not like his Bond at all (and he was the one I grew up with as well.) But I did really like his as the Saint and (in recent viewings of the show) as Beau Maverick.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
tgb

Post by tgb »

I also have fond memories of The Saint. I had no idea he was that old. RIP
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Connery rocks as Bond but I always found Moore to be the right mix of class, brawn and humor for the best overall as well. RIP Roger Moore, I sense some Bond movies in my future.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Archinerd wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Still get teased for preferring him to Connery.
He's my favorite Bond.

RIP :(

Same here. Yes, Sean Connery defined the role, but Roger Moore I feel added a bit more nuance to the role. He was a bit more camp, sure, but also a product of his time, one that his era fully embraced. One can be argued that Connery's bond is very much a product of his time also.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I agree with everybody. RIP
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember seeing Moonraker as a kid (it was the first James Bond movie I'd ever seen), and that must have been '80 or 81 on HBO or broadcast TV (definitely not in the theater). What a different time...can't imagine showing that movie to a 7 or 8 year old now. Dr. Goodhead? Hilarious.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:I remember seeing Moonraker as a kid (it was the first James Bond movie I'd ever seen), and that must have been '80 or 81 on HBO or broadcast TV (definitely not in the theater). What a different time...can't imagine showing that movie to a 7 or 8 year old now. Dr. Goodhead? Hilarious.
That was the first I had seen in the theater and it was weird because I was like 10 and it felt modern when in my mind James Bond was about olden times stuff. To that date, my strongest impression came from Live and Let Die, with the Tarot and the belly dancing and Tattoo and the house of mirrors and VooDoo from the 7Up guy (though it probably wasn't actually the 7Up guy). That was best and most spooky spy story ever to a kid such as I was.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:I remember seeing Moonraker as a kid (it was the first James Bond movie I'd ever seen), and that must have been '80 or 81 on HBO or broadcast TV (definitely not in the theater). What a different time...can't imagine showing that movie to a 7 or 8 year old now. Dr. Goodhead? Hilarious.
Because kids today would understand the reference? :?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kids today with their buttchugging and internets...who the hell knows? They were actually disconnected thoughts in my mind, but I sort of smooshed them together. I haven't seen Moonraker in like 30 years but I seem to recall there being some questionable parts of the movie. Like I remember watching it as a kid with my parents and feeling uncomfortable. I don't think an 8 year old would understand Dr. Goodhead but zero gravity space humping hugging?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Loved Moore as Bond. Total camp, but still cool. Moonraker was the first 007 film I saw, probably in the early to mid-1980s. I think I was in third or fourth grade, and I remember we had a snow day. We had just gotten our first VCR, and my parents let my sister and I go to the video rental store in town and pick out whatever we wanted to watch. My sister hemmed and hawed for a while, but when I saw the cover of Moonraker, my decision was made:

Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moore as Bond didn't start out as camp, Live and let Die could have been a Connery Bond movie.

I think it has to do with the fact that The Spy who Loved Me and Moonraker (among other Moore Bond movies)weren't even loosely based on Fleming's source material, but rather completely rewritten for the screen, using only the titles.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think of Live and Let Die as one of the silliest Bond movies and I absolutely hate it. Yes, even sillier than Moonraker. With the Southern sheriff and the voodoo guy who gets injected with air. Ugh. So, so bad.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote:I think of Live and Let Die as one of the silliest Bond movies and I absolutely hate it. Yes, even sillier than Moonraker. With the Southern sheriff and the voodoo guy who gets injected with air. Ugh. So, so bad.
But it had the best theme song!
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jeff V wrote:But it had the best theme song!
I'm pretty sure you meant to say A View to a Kill -- which to me was THE James Bond movie experience I'll always consider definitive and the first one I absolutely saw in a movie theater. Christopher Walken? Tanya Roberts? Grace Jones? Hello? Exactly.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blech

I can't see how you can hate Live and Let Die for it's sillyness though but I still see it through the memory of an 7 or 8 year old in late 70s watching "late" movies on network television.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A "View to a Kill" had the best theme song!
I liked Moore's camp mostly but sometimes wished for less.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote:A "View to a Kill" had the best theme song!
I liked Moore's camp mostly but sometimes wished for less.
That's #3 on my list.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Camp, you say?

Youtube

His take on the Bond character was the one I liked best, with Connery coming in a very close second. Dalton was too damn serious, Brosnan was more Rambo than Bond and Craig... well, he's all gritty and realistic or whatever.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

As a kid I saw Connery's Bond movies on tv, but I saw Moore's Bond movies in the theater and I preferred Roger Moore. Oddly enough, when I got older I thought Lazenby's movie was the best one of all of them, but I don't recall seeing that one as a kid.

Anyways, The Spy Who Loved Me is really my favorite Bond movie experience. To this day I still remember the gasps from the audience in the theater, then the applause at the sight of the parachute, during the opening scene of that movie. From then on that movie was gold. I thought he was great, his Bond was funny yet he had a way of snapping at people that made him seem dangerous in an unpredictable way. I don't blame him for the later Bond movies that lost their way, that wasn't under his control. Proof is look at how long it took for them to figure out how to make a kickass Bond movie again after Moore was out.

edit: The Spy Who Loved Me has the best theme song, it's not even a contest. Plus, I liked The Wild Geese, if you haven't seen it I think it's worth checking out.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Octopussy was a dumb movie with a dumb title. But Rita Cooidge singing All Time High was fantastict.

However, the best song from any Bond movie is We Have All the Time in the World by Louis Armstrong for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. That song was our first dance at my wedding.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

RIP Sir Roger Your Bond may not have been the best but you had a great run and brought a lot of fun to the role.

I always have been and always will be a Connery Bond man. That being said I enjoyed Moore's take on Bond, even with all the camp and silliness.
My tastes run rather similar to Gameovermen's apparently. I thought the opening sequence to The Spy Who Loved Me was just about perfect right up to the parachute ski jump rolling into the theme song. And I also liked George Lazenby's turn as Bond. He was very Connery like but with a bit more heart. On Her Majesty's Secret Service was one of my favorite Bond movies of all time.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Goldfinger is the best Bond song ever. And, the best Bond movie ever.

Heathens.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Goldfinger's theme song is top three and the movie is definitely the best ever.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote:Goldfinger is the best Bond song ever. And, the best Bond movie ever.

Heathens.
Seriously. I mean it's interesting to debate what the second best Bond theme song is, but we should really frame the discussion that way instead of acting like we're discussing the very best Bond theme.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:
I'm pretty sure you meant to say A View to a Kill -- which to me was THE James Bond movie experience I'll always consider definitive and the first one I absolutely saw in a movie theater. Christopher Walken? Tanya Roberts? Grace Jones? Hello? Exactly.
Smoove wins. The rest of you can bugger off. I saw Octopussy in the theater first, but saw A View to a Kill quite a few times while it was running.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

CNN article (missing an editor that article is. If I can pick up a few mistakes, I'm sure you all will notice a lot more.)
(CNN) Roger Moore, the actor famous for portraying James Bond in seven "007" films between 1973 and 1985, has died after a battle with cancer, according to his family. He was 89.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'll admit it. I loved Moonraker! Spy Who Loved Me was pretty good too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Best song is For Your Eyes Only from Sheena Easton

And the 7up guy is Geoffrey Holder and he was in Live and Let Die.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My second favorite Bond after George Lazenby. But his Simon Templar is second to none. I used to rush home after school every day to watch old reruns of it on a local tv channel. That and The Avengers. RIP to a truly class act.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well of course, Lazenby nailed it and exited the set with a mic drop. But can you hum the theme song of Her Majesty's Secret Service?

My top 5 Bond theme songs (not movies!)

Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney/Wings)
Nobody Does it Better (Spy Who Loved Me) (Carly Simon)
View to a Kill (Duran Duran)
Skyfall (Adele)
Die Another Day (Madonna)
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jeff V wrote: But can you hum the theme song of Her Majesty's Secret Service?
I can sing it word for word. It's a great song.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Live and Let Die is permanently imprinted in my mind.

Freshman year of HS, I took Tennis to avoid the mass of humanity that was general PE. The courts were next to the band practice field. That was their song of choice for the year, so I got to hear it played in snippets for months on end as they practiced for their competitions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote:
Jeff V wrote: But can you hum the theme song of Her Majesty's Secret Service?
I can sing it word for word. It's a great song.
I believe the lyrics were something like:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Secret...ing...stuff. Doing...things
Yeah yeah yeah
Majesty!
Secret Service!
Yeah...oooh baby
I'm...really...ummm...secret!
Ooooh weeeee...secret!
Her...MAJESTY...yeah!
He won. Period.