DAMN! That's TWICE! I want some butts!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DD*

DAMN! That's TWICE! I want some butts!

Post by DD* »

Tom Cruise says Top Gun II is in the works

I feel the need - the need for speed!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Re: DAMN! That's TWICE! I want some butts!

Post by hepcat »

I feel the need...the need to avoid this.
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

hepcat wrote:I feel the need...the need to avoid this.
C'mon hep, you know you love it!

Enlarge Image

*click to embiggen for all the Maverick 'Murica you deserve!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Where's the remake for a Cruise film we really need? A remake that answers all those questions we had after it broke into our national consciousness and made us believe again? I'm talking about Cocktail, of course.
When he pours, he reigns.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

First, good quip about avoiding it, Hepcat. I feel the same way. I've never felt this was a story that needed to be continued. But look what Stallone was able to do with the last Rambo movie. Maybe I'll love it too.

Second, did Cocktail really have a tagline "When he pours, he reigns"? If so, that is genius.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Where's the remake for a Cruise film we really need? A remake that answers all those questions we had after it broke into our national consciousness and made us believe again? I'm talking about Cocktail, of course.
When he pours, he reigns.
Risky Business?

All the Right Moves?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I expect I'll see this opening weekend and in my current place in life only a new Star Wars movie gets that from me.

I think I was 14 when Top Gun was released and I can't say how many times I've seen it.

Somewhere in the early to mid 2000s it became much more fun for me to make fun of Top Gun (totally unrealistic and in some places cheese overload).

To paraphrase Jim Rome:

I'm not a 'naval aviator' so I don't know what they do for fun, but I'm pretty sure they don't get oiled up and play shirtless volleyball on the beach while howling at the moon and listening to Kenny Loggins' 'Playin' with the Boys' blaring on the radio.

Tom may be nuts but I'm usually entertained by his movies.

My only concern is what kind of movie this will be in 2017. The world is so different than 1985. Even with the constant perceived threat of nuclear armageddon back then it was a great time for a 'fun' military themed movie.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Second, did Cocktail really have a tagline "When he pours, he reigns"? If so, that is genius.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Redfive wrote: To paraphrase Jim Rome:

I'm not a 'naval aviator' so I don't know what they do for fun, but I'm pretty sure they don't get oiled up and play shirtless volleyball on the beach while howling at the moon and listening to Kenny Loggins' 'Playin' with the Boys' blaring on the radio.
Jim Rome is great when he breaks down movies. My favorite is when he called out Yoda for being the galaxy's biggest coward for holing up on Dagobah and his calling Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory the laziest freeloader ever. He stays in bed all day too decrepit to move until Charlie gets the golden ticket. Then he's dancing up a storm. And when Wonka tells Charlie that he gets to live in the Factory the first thing Grandpa Joe says is, "Me too?"
DD*

Post by DD* »

Some people have no respect for the classics...

Charlie: So, lieutenant, where exactly were you?

Maverick: Well, we...

Goose: Thank you.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.

Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?

Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Iceman: [coughs whilst saying] Bullshit.

Goose: No, he was man. It was a really great move. He was inverted.

Charlie: You were in a 4g inverted dive with a MiG28?

Maverick: Yes, ma'am.

Charlie: At what range?

Maverick: Um, about two meters.

Goose: It was actually about one and a half I think. It was one and a half. I've got a great Polaroid of it, and he's right there, must be one and a half.

Maverick: Was a nice picture.

Goose: Thanks.

Charlie: Eh, lieutenant, what were you doing there?

Goose: Communicating.

Maverick: Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations. You know, giving him the bird!

Goose: [Charlie looks puzzled, so Goose clarifies] You know, the finger

Charlie: Yes, I know the finger, Goose.

Goose: I-I'm sorry, I hate it when it does that, I'm sorry. Excuse me.
Fucking Oscar-worthy stuff right there!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cocktail is practically Arthur Miller in comparison.

Brian: I'm looking for the Manager.

Doug: What's the problem? Did you find a hair in your quiche?

Brian: No, I'm looking for a job.

Doug: Ah, you'd like to put a hair in somebody else's quiche.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember when Tom Cruise would turn the volume down for the chorus to Addicted to Love and then crank it back up and repeat while the bar sang out loud. That was awesome!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think the movie still holds up today. I rewatched it a few years ago and I was amazed at how good it was.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
DD*

Post by DD* »

Top Gun was my go-to demo movie when I first got into home theater. Check out the Dolby Pro-logic surround, dude :)

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

DD* wrote:Top Gun was my go-to demo movie when I first got into home theater. Check out the Dolby Pro-logic surround, dude :)
Ours too. Brought my dad over for it, and pretty much the next day he went out amd got himself a surround sound system and 35" tv.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I like Top Gun, but back then Tom Cruise was basically in his "churn them out by the books" mode. Almost EVERY movie he did in that era was he's about to "master" something and had a mad fling with some woman and struggle against some guy.

When you think about it, Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Cocktail, have the SAME general plot!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kasey Chang wrote:I like Top Gun, but back then Tom Cruise was basically in his "churn them out by the books" mode. Almost EVERY movie he did in that era was he's about to "master" something and had a mad fling with some woman and struggle against some guy.

When you think about it, Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Cocktail, have the SAME general plot!
Risky Business and Legend too. :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It wasn't just his movies from that era that had that same plot...

And, I assume:

Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Do you guys really want to spend 2 hours watching Val Kilmer try to squeeze into the cockpit of a jet?

Probably in 3D to boot.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Hold up. "Edge of Tomorrow" doesn't follow the canned early-Cruise movie plot.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I liked Edge of Tomorrow, but it is a movie about him trying to get better at something while falling for the girl who is mentoring him. Seems to sort of fit the theme...
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:Do you guys really want to spend 2 hours watching Val Kilmer try to squeeze into the cockpit of a jet?

Probably in 3D to boot.
Reminds me of a childhood friend whose father was quite large. When the topic of war stories came up, this kid's dad mentioned he was a ball turret gunner in a B-24 during WW2. My dad would ask, "for Christ's sake, Milt, how did they cram your fat ass into that little turret? Did they build the plane around you?"
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote:Do you guys really want to spend 2 hours watching Val Kilmer try to squeeze into the cockpit of a jet?

Probably in 3D to boot.
No, but I'd gladly spend 2 hours watching him try to out-insane Marlon Brando again.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I liked Edge of Tomorrow, but it is a movie about him trying to get better at something while falling for the girl who is mentoring him. Seems to sort of fit the theme...
Only if you define the "theme" so broadly that it includes just about every plot involving a protagonist with a love interest. This is like a great copyright idea/expression debate. I'd argue that you are stretching "the idea" underlying Cruise's films out to such a ridiculous degree that it sweeps in not only Cruise's films but like 95% of all action/sci-fi movies (and other genres, too).

But that's probably way more serious discussion than Tom Cruise films deserve (even though I do really like "Edge of Tomorrow").
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Tomcat was retired from US service in 2006. I look forward to the new version being him flying a Triton out of a CONEX in the California desert.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Kurth wrote: Only if you define the "theme" so broadly that it includes just about every plot involving a protagonist with a love interest. This is like a great copyright idea/expression debate. I'd argue that you are stretching "the idea" underlying Cruise's films out to such a ridiculous degree that it sweeps in not only Cruise's films but like 95% of all action/sci-fi movies (and other genres, too).
I'm just following the Chang Reliable Assessment Principles (CRAP)™ for judging Tom Cruise's movies. I make no claims to the validity of those well-established criteria.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Am I the only one that disliked Edge of Tomorrow? I thought the premise was fun, but that its execution was terrible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote:Am I the only one that disliked Edge of Tomorrow? I thought the premise was fun, but that its execution was terrible.
No, 14,552 other people were also wrong.
AUDIENCE SCORE

90%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.2/5
User Ratings: 145,532
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Tomcat was retired from US service in 2006. I look forward to the new version being him flying a Triton out of a CONEX in the California desert.
Yea, should be fun seeing how make a dogfighting flick with a bunch of planes designed for standoff engagements.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Rip wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:The Tomcat was retired from US service in 2006. I look forward to the new version being him flying a Triton out of a CONEX in the California desert.
Yea, should be fun seeing how make a dogfighting flick with a bunch of planes designed for standoff engagements.
Isn't that exactly what the Tomcat was, a standoff platform? I thought the Phoenix missile had an engagement range of beyond visual which was one of the reasons why making fun of the movie was fun. (I realize the missiles they were firing in the movie were not the Phoenix).
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that it was Cold War posturing, I doubt there were BVR rules of engagement.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

They should turn the new movie into a disaster movie. F-35s not working, catapults broken, Iranian high speed torpedoes slamming into $36 billion dollar carrier and sinking it in the Strait or Hormuz. Iranian version of Mav, in his old F-14 held together with chewing gum, buzzing Tom Cruise on the bridge of the Gerald R. Ford. :ninja:

"Cocktails for Two: The Real Natalee Holloway Story" might be fun. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i have absolutely no clue as to the relevance of Natalee Holloway in that post.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Redfive wrote:
Rip wrote:
Isn't that exactly what the Tomcat was, a standoff platform? I thought the Phoenix missile had an engagement range of beyond visual which was one of the reasons why making fun of the movie was fun. (I realize the missiles they were firing in the movie were not the Phoenix).
I was capable of engaging from a distance but its strength was dogfighting.

Because 25% of the Tomcat’s lift came from the large area between the wings — popularly referred to as the “tennis court” — the Tomcat didn’t have a very impressive roll rate relative to airplanes like the A-4 or F-16. But its large horizontal stabilizers gave Tomcat pilots significant pitch authority, which made the jet a lethal dogfighter in the right hands.
http://www.businessinsider.com/17-photo ... s-11111113
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote:i have absolutely no clue as to the relevance of Natalee Holloway in that post.
Aruba, Jamaica
Kidnapped by Scientologists?
It could happen!
Stop funding for NPR
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Well, i will go on record and say that Top gun was best dating movie to learn from. Back when i ran dating biz, the home work would be to watch top gun. Aside from crazy flying, the other parts of interactions were gold.
So ya, i will be watching top gun 2 at release! And i dont watch anything at release. Got to give the credit where it is due.
Top gun was really super movie, it was what super food to other food. This is purely from dating perspective, every interaction line was solid.
The confidence on the border of cocky, playful banter, being able to walk away....... too good, too good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rip wrote:I was capable of engaging from a distance but its strength was dogfighting.
I must have missed the sub-launched variant.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Rip wrote:I was capable of engaging from a distance but its strength was dogfighting.
I must have missed the sub-launched variant.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I was a submarine based Tomcat pilot.....