Anyone have a 3D printer?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Anyone have a 3D printer?

Post by Punisher »

As title suggests...
I am in the process of designing some things to print out and wonder if anyone has a 3D printer and wants to help me test.
The plan is to make some magnetic scenery for 28mm tabletop games (and maybe others)
No timeline for completion yet..Just started the design and some basic testing on my printer.
It may never get completed.. for any number of reasons.
Not sure what i am going to do with it if it works. Might post for free on Thingaverse, might look into Kickstarter, might do nothing...
If anyone is interested let me know.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Re: Anyone have a 3D printer?

Post by Kraken »

No. We are cranky old people who see no point to all these modern gadgets.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm waiting for the 3d printer market to mature before I get one. When someone can use their 3d printer to print out the parts to make another 3d printer, then I'll think about it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gameoverman wrote:I'm waiting for the 3d printer market to mature before I get one. When someone can use their 3d printer to print out the parts to make another 3d printer, then I'll think about it.
RepRap
Not counting nuts and bolts the latest RepRap can make 70% of its parts; the other parts are designed to be cheaply available everywhere. The primary goal of the RepRap project is to create and to give away a makes-useful-stuff machine that, among other things, allows its owner cheaply and easily to make another such machine for someone else.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:
gameoverman wrote:I'm waiting for the 3d printer market to mature before I get one. When someone can use their 3d printer to print out the parts to make another 3d printer, then I'll think about it.
RepRap
Not counting nuts and bolts the latest RepRap can make 70% of its parts; the other parts are designed to be cheaply available everywhere. The primary goal of the RepRap project is to create and to give away a makes-useful-stuff machine that, among other things, allows its owner cheaply and easily to make another such machine for someone else.
Yeah, this has been the case for a while. Many existing purchasable printers already contain multiple 3D printed parts.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote:No. We are cranky old people who see no point to all these modern gadgets.
https://3dprint.com/87913/dentca-fda-3d-print/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I do need new dentures...
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

At my last job we got a 3D printer around 2009 or so. The first thing our tech did was download the plans for the version upgrade components.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The Meal wrote:At my last job we got a 3D printer around 2009 or so. The first thing our tech did was download the plans for the version upgrade components.
I didn't bother doing that with my first printer, but it was a budget one I got for $90 on Amazon during Black Friday and it worked. My 2nd, larger printer ended up with a broken hotend after about 3 weeks. The place I got it from was processing replacement parts, but the whole process was going to take weeks to do since they were in China and backed up. I ended up printing parts to upgrade my hotend to a better one.. Then in the middle of the night during a print job, the printed mount snapped.
I ended up ordering a stainless steel one from Shapeways and it came out awesome. It is much better then my printed one. no movement at all.
I've had it for about a month or so now and no issues with it at all.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:character-blues: GabeN says:

3D Print and Sell Your Own Valve Merchandise

Shapeways Magazine announces that 3D printing company Shapeways is partnering with Valve to offer the opportunity to legally sell your own merchandise based on Valve properties. This program is already underway, and they are highlighting the best offerings in a Shapeways + Valve Hub, though sadly no one has yet figured out a way to 3D print hats. Here's the deal:
We’re incredibly excited to announce that, thanks to a first-of-its kind program, Valve and Shapeways are partnering up to empower our communities of creators to make and sell 3D printed, gamer-created merchandise and accessories based on Valve’s games and hardware.

Starting today, you can take advantage of a new Valve licensing agreement on Shapeways. This will not only allow you to create merch around any of Valve’s games and game assets, but also mods and accessories for hardware like the Steam Controller and Steam Link.

For Shapeways designers, this means that the Valve and Steam game communities will now have access to your products, and you can advertise and promote your Valve-related products anywhere you like.

For Valve games’ fans and Steam hardware users, we’re here to help you take your help you take your fan art into the physical world, whether you’re just learning to design for 3D printing, or have a whole set of heroes ready to bring to life.

But the really revolutionary part of this partnership is how easy it is for you to licence your products. You just upload your model to your shop (as always, make sure to use tags and accurate descriptions to make sure shoppers can find you), and you will automatically be prompted to opt in. You’ll have the option to opt out of the license if you get the prompt in error.

Once you opt in, you’re good to go. No other approvals needed. No takedowns, no missed revenue. We’ll automatically deduct a 10% royalty from sales of merchandise connected to the game franchises and send them to Valve. No royalties are deducted on accessories developed for Steam hardware. And that’s it!

We’ll feature the best of your Valve and Steam-related designs on the Shapeways + Valve hub, and we’ll be promoting some of your most amazing designs in Shapeways Magazine and on social media. We’re already seeing some cool merch inspired by DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, and Portal, but we know you’re just getting started.

We’re thrilled to be able to create a way to reward your creativity while unlocking the incredible potential of Valve’s fandoms. Check out our Valve hub for inspiration and all the nitty-gritty details of how the license works. Then, show us what you can do!
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

spotted @ Blues <--- more embedded links than I transferred
Ain't nobody got time for that
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This 3D printer is certainly cheap enough at $59.99 I wonder if it's any good?
https://www.hexpress.shop/index.php?rou ... gQcaiqDhaU

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

That is a Snapmaker
https://www.amazon.com/Snapmaker-Engrav ... =snapmaker
I'm gonna say scam on that...
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

got a Creality Ender 3 for my dad for xmas. i wonder if he'll use it...
Montag

Post by Montag »

I have an Ender 3 Pro. Can do neat things. Thingiverse is where it's at.
words