[movie] HHhH - WW2 Nazi SS assassination film

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] HHhH - WW2 Nazi SS assassination film

Post by Daehawk »

Known here in the US as The Man with the Iron Heart

International trailer

1942: The Third Reich is at its peak. The Czech resistance in London decides to plan the most ambitious military operation of WWII: Anthropoid. Two young recruits in their late twenties, Jozef Gabcik and Jan Kubis, are sent to Prague to assassinate the most ruthless Nazi leader - Reich-protector Reinhard Heydrich, Head of the SS, the Gestapo, and the architect of the "Final Solution".
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Re: [movie] HHhH - WW2 Nazi SS assassination film

Post by Rip »

Will definitely see it at some point.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In. I love a good WW2 espionage movie.

Unfortunate title, though, even if it was the novel's.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The Germans unleashed a severe retaliation. Hitler lashed out by murdering thousands of Jews. He wanted to kill 10,000 Czech political prisoners, but high-ranking Nazi and military commander Heinrich Himmler convinced him that they needed the Czechs to keep the Protectorate industrially productive. Still, more than 13,000 were arrested, and 5,000 were murdered in reprisals. Due to false information, the Nazis thought the assassins were hiding in Lidice, a village near Prague, and also found a radio resistance transmitter in Ležáky. The Germans took revenge on Lidice by killing all 199 men in the town, arresting the 195 women and sending them to Ravensbrück concentration camp and taking the 95 children, eight of whom were given to German families. Most of the children disappeared; in all probability they were gassed. Lidice was razed June 9, 1942, and the ruins were bulldozed. The revenge on Ležáky was a nightmare as well. All the adults were murdered while the children disappeared, except for two who were handed over to Nazi families. The town was razed.
I'm not sure it was worth it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's kind of weird that there are two recent movies (including this one) on this same topic, which is rather obscure except for those really knowledgeable about World War 2. Project Antropoid came out last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAKCJcXC5c
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote:It's kind of weird that there are two recent movies (including this one) on this same topic, which is rather obscure except for those really knowledgeable about World War 2. Project Antropoid came out last year:

Thanks--Haven't heard of that one either.

It's interesting that HHhH is a French film, but the principle actors are mostly British or Austrialian.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And it also makes me wonder why there haven't been more movies made from Alan Furst novels.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:
Grifman wrote:It's kind of weird that there are two recent movies (including this one) on this same topic, which is rather obscure except for those really knowledgeable about World War 2. Project Antropoid came out last year:

Thanks--Haven't heard of that one either.
It was pretty good, I caught in on the plane on a flight to Spain. From just the trailer of the newer movie, it looks like there will be more about the target of the assassination than in the first movie. In Anthropoid, it was just given that he was an evil Nazi douchebag, while this one seems to tell more of his story.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watched Anthropoid last night and enjoyed it, as much as one can enjoy a film like this. It certainly gave me a bit more insight to the Czechoslovakia story.
It's almost as if people are the problem.