[Movie] Black Panther

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [Movie] Black Panther

Post by hepcat »

The more I think about how it's being called a cultural event, the more I begin to understand why. The only other film I can think of in recent memory that portrayed Africa as something other than a death sentence for white people, a backwards land full of savages, and/or a comic land full of cultural gaffes in comparison to white culture is, I kid you not, Coming to America (although a case could be made that that last one was a major part of the movie's comedy). I can only imagine how a young black teenager going into this film will feel after finally seeing a superhero who shares his skin color and isn't a sidekick...even if they still have to tack on the "black" label to his name (baby steps, I know).
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Supervolt!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They don't call you Whitefish, do they?
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Invictus?
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So I guess Mandingo was ahead of his time?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pmInvictus?
starring that great black actor Matt Damon. :wink:
So I guess Mandingo was ahead of his time?
Mmmm...Susan George. :wub:
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm
starring that great white actor Morgan Freeman. :wink:

FTFY.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:29 pm

FTFY.
Wasn't he Damon's sidekick in that film? :P

I'm not trying to downplay the film, but it still was more about a white person's experience. BP is almost entirely a black cast. Something that's unusual without relying on one or more of the stereotypes I mentioned.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Movie Review: Black Panther
by Kurt Loder
It's too bad, in a way, that we have to focus on the racial breakthrough that this movie represents—although of course we do. Here, for the first time ever, is a $200-million Marvel blockbuster that's been entrusted to a black director (Ryan Coogler), two black writers (Coogler and Joe Robert Cole), and a pair of top-shelf black production and costume designers (Hannah Beachler and Ruth E. Carter). And of course the cast—at least two of whom will emerge from this picture as bigger stars than when they went into it—is almost entirely black.

Of more immediate interest, though, I'd say, is the fact that Black Panther is a ripping action flick on which a great deal of care has been expended. Kugler, best known till now for Fruitvale Station and Creed, has a gift for clarifying narrative complexities, for moving things along in a snappy manner without spinning our heads, and for balancing the story's elements of physical exhilaration and deep-seated emotion. In these regards alone, the picture is a notable achievement.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurt Loder is still around???
Covfefe!
Montag

Post by Montag »

So about this one scene
Spoiler:
I haven't seen it, but I am going to. I justed wanted to do something mischievous.
Looking forward to your impressions.
words
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

to be sure, that is a vestige of the early '70s
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yeah, that is true.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Amazing: I just spent 30 minutes checking every theater in range, and every showing of Black Panther in my area (from Saturday 10am to Sunday evening) is sold out except for a few scattered seats in the very front row.

Even the recent Star Wars tickets have been easier to buy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

hepcat wrote:
pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:29 pm

FTFY.
Wasn't he Damon's sidekick in that film? Image

I'm not trying to downplay the film, but it still was more about a white person's experience. BP is almost entirely a black cast. Something that's unusual without relying on one or more of the stereotypes I mentioned.
If I remember right invictus is more Mandela than the rugby guy. Also Long walk to freedom was great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:21 pm Amazing: I just spent 30 minutes checking every theater in range, and every showing of Black Panther in my area (from Saturday 10am to Sunday evening) is sold out except for a few scattered seats in the very front row.

Yeah, I’m not planning on seeing this for a few weeks. Fighting the crowds ain’t worth it.
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

hepcat wrote:
Holman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:21 pm Amazing: I just spent 30 minutes checking every theater in range, and every showing of Black Panther in my area (from Saturday 10am to Sunday evening) is sold out except for a few scattered seats in the very front row.

Yeah, I’m not planning on seeing this for a few weeks. Fighting the crowds ain’t worth it.
If you have a Dolby nearby, pre-purchase tickets and the crowds become meaningless. Though you may want to smuggle snacks.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t want to risk having to sit right next to a guy who brings his own spray on butter and uses it liberally and loudly throughout the movie....again. I like a buffer between me and the great unwashed masses. :D
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

hepcat wrote:I don’t want to risk having to sit right next to a guy who brings his own spray on butter and uses it liberally and loudly throughout the movie....again. I like a buffer between me and the great unwashed masses. :D
Legit, the Dolby by us has big individual lazy boy seats that provide a motorized reclining leather buffer and in-seat subwoofers between you and any popcorn spraying heathens. No touch... Bad touch...

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Fantastic movie.

And absolutely worth seeing in a Dolby Cinema if you have one nearby.
Hodor.
Combustible Lemur

This movie is AWESOME.

Teeheehee... Sneakers.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Saw it tonight. Loved every minute of it.

For some reason I was expecting a less focused origin story since the character had already been introduced, but was really happy that they didn't dilute the movie.

This feels like a very different Marvel film, in a good way. While it has humor, it's not the constant barrage of a Guardians or Thor: Ragnarok. And it's not a wall to wall blur of action sequences like the Avengers films. It's balanced, it's smart, and if you're not a Black Panther fan begging for a sequel by the end of it, you must be dead inside.

The sad thing? That they had to scrounge up every African-American actor/actress they could find to fill out the cast. Short of maybe Will Smith and Oprah Winfrey, the cast list was like the Family Feud survey answer to "Name a black actor that white people might have heard of." It really exposed how strikingly small that Hollywood population is. Hopefully the success of this movie changes that.

I got really interested in Afrofuturism awhile back, and this movie is a terrific example of how blending that cultural perspective into the sci-fi/fantasy genre can open up fantastic new worlds. I'd have to see it again to really say what my ranking of it is compared to other Marvel movies, but it's easily Top 5 if not Top 3.

P.S. Andy Serkis was fantastic....stop hiding this guy behind motion capture.

P.P.S. Watching Martin Freeman speak with an American accent was disconcerting. :D
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

This may be one of the first movies where I was truly conflicted about the villain. No, not Klaue.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 am The sad thing? That they had to scrounge up every African-American actor/actress they could find to fill out the cast. Short of maybe Will Smith and Oprah Winfrey, the cast list was like the Family Feud survey answer to "Name a black actor that white people might have heard of." It really exposed how strikingly small that Hollywood population is. Hopefully the success of this movie changes that.
Morgan Freeman? Don Cheadle? Giancarlo Esposito? Jeffrey Wright?

That's just off the top of my head.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Glad they dialed back the humor from the Thor/ GotG levels - it would have been out of place in this movie.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I largely enjoyed the film. Wakanda was amazing. I wish they would have made a version of Wakanda in Animal Kingdom at Disney World, rather than Pandora. Michael B Jordan also provided one of the better villains in the MCU. He’s complicated, ruthless, and sympathetic. He’s very reminiscent of Magneto. You can identify his goals, and he may even be right. He’s trying to do the right thing, he’s just going about it the wrong way.

My only criticism is there wasn’t a scene that tugged at my heart strings. They came close, but missed the mark.
Spoiler:
I totally forgot that the General was married to the leader of the Blue Tribe, right up until the rhino licked her. I wish they had more of their story sprinkled throughout, so that the scenes where they face off would have been more powerful. More scenes could have also helped explain why blue leader was so loyal to Killmonger. Yes, he killed Klaw. But he completely turned his back on T’Challa after he failed to capture him once? I didn’t buy it.
Overall, another worthy entry into the MCU. I understand it shattered expectations at the box office, which is fantastic. This movie deserves a lot of praise.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 am P.P.S. Watching Martin Freeman speak with an American accent was disconcerting. :D
Fargo season 1 will cause you to have panic attacks if you found that disconcerting.
Covfefe!
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I didn't really enjoy it. Having seen all the Marvel movies except Ragnarok I think maybe I am getting a little be bored of the universe. The story really was pants, telegraphed and boring. It was all quite dark especially the fight scenes making it difficult to see the actual action. I am struggling to see what BP brings to the fight in all honesty it felt like a James Bond movie with all the tech and set up.

Wakanda itself was great and so was most of the acting.

I thought it was a 6/10 movie and while I know they won't move from this tried and tested formula I would really like one of the movies to step outside and really go for a decent storyline rather than the same old tropes.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. Was extremely proud of the movie and how it portrayed African culture.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Reemul wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:58 amin all honesty it felt like a James Bond movie with all the tech and set up.
The first half of the movie did seem like a fast-paced Bond film, but I really liked those elements.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In Chicago today, 300 schools are being offered free tickets for students to afternoon showings if they stick around for a discussion on career choices and community service afterwards. I think that's fantastic. I'm guessing there are a lot of cities doing that too. At least I hope so.
Covfefe!
DD*

Post by DD* »

Have tickets for 8:45 tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Got to see this yesterday, A+

No spoilers, since it is the first weekend and all, but what I liked best was the core of the story- family dynamics. Marvel movies, as entertaining and well done as they are, can be a bit impersonal sometimes. At the end of the movie it can feel like the events of the movie had no real impact on the characters, they just shrug it off and move on.

This movie has characters who both do things and have things done to them, and they carry the weight of those things throughout the movie. That made the movie have more impact in my opinion.

Michael B. Jordan, wow. He owns every scene he's in and that's no small feat since everyone in this movie brought their A game.

I also really appreciated the look of the movie, the art design. It's distinctive and does a great job of making it feel like a real place. Some of the Marvel movies can be boring to look at in terms of the visuals, not this one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I couldn’t place Jordan until I looked him up and was reminded of his stint on Parenthood, which was quite good.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gameoverman wrote:Marvel movies, as entertaining and well done as they are, can be a bit impersonal sometimes. At the end of the movie it can feel like the events of the movie had no real impact on the characters, they just shrug it off and move on.
Wha?

I don’t agree at all with this. Tony Stark was so traumatized from the events of the Avengers that he had PTSD in Iron Man 3, created Ultron in Avengers 2, and was so traumatized from THAT that he sided with the government in Civil War to reign in his power and authority.

Spider-Man was so affected from Civil War that he spent all of Homecoming trying to prove to Tony that he deserved to be an Avenger.

Cap went from screaming ‘Merica! while running into battle into distrusting government enough to go underground.

Thor has gone from a hot headed warrior, to a mopy prince who didn’t want the crown, to a king who will take extreme measures to keep his people safe.

Some films and characters do it better than others, but the MCU is what it is because the events of one film have a direct impact on the next.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:I couldn’t place Jordan until I looked him up and was reminded of his stint on Parenthood, which was quite good.
He was great in Creed, which was surprisingly good and had the same director as Black Panther.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm I couldn’t place Jordan until I looked him up and was reminded of his stint on Parenthood, which was quite good.
Definitely watch Creed. Same director too.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Saw this on Saturday night and totally enjoyed it on many levels. The cinematography, toning, costuming, set pieces and sound are all superlative. The villain is one of the more interesting ones in the Marvel universe. Overall a top-notch super-hero flick that gets a full ten out of ten tentacles from me!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm I couldn’t place Jordan until I looked him up and was reminded of his stint on Parenthood, which was quite good.
Definitely watch Creed. Same director too.
And The Wire. And Friday Night Lights! Dude is great in just about everything I've seen him in. Granted, I didn't see the Fantastic Four movie...
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Snuck out to see this today. It was great. I want to see it again.

I agree with the earlier thing about the Marvel movies kind of blending together. I'm mostly burned out on them. The points raised about each feeding into the next are valid, but that's kind of the problem. I have a terrible memory, so I wind up forgetting things. Then I feel like I have to see all of them to keep the story straight, even if I'm not interested in some, and it starts to feel like work that I don't want to do.

But this one is fantastic.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Guardians of the Galaxy, especially the second one, did the family dynamics/personal thing well. So I'm not saying Marvel doesn't do it. It's just that in some movies it just amounts to paying lip service to it.

Scarlet Witch gets accused of causing mass civilian casualties, that's a heavy trip to lay on her. It is used for plot purposes, the need for oversight and such. However, it doesn't really impact her or any of the others personally from then on. They all start making decisions on how they feel on the issue and move on from there. I'd compare it to tv shows that have episodes where a character is shown having a particular interest, but just for that episode. Then it's never mentioned again. Marvel movies have things that are used in the moment for plot reasons then they never have any impact again. Black Panther did a good job of making things, even little things like the rhinos, pay off later. It's like nothing is wasted in this movie, it's very well made.