So my second job kinda effects everyone....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

So my second job kinda effects everyone....

Post by Scuzz »

So I didn't want to put IRS in the title but I have been working nights the last 5 months for the IRS, "perfecting" tax returns that for one reason or another didn't go through the computer clean. I probably have another couple weeks before they lay me off and I am ready for that. Working from 8am to 11:30 at night is starting to wear me down.

Anyway, I wanted to note a few problems I have seen so that those of you who file taxes may avoid these problems. So here we go......

1. Put your SSN on your tax return. Make sure it is the correct SSN for you and every dependent you are claiming. Make sure that when you print the return to mail, or to send electronically that you actually show your entire SSN. Too many people (and paid tax prepares) file returns with the SSN's showing like this ***-**-1234. You do that and your refund will be delayed and all your dependents will be denied.

You have no idea how many people do that.

2. Sign your return. Sounds obvious doesn't it. But both you and your spouse have to sign the return or the IRS will mail it back to you.

3. Include all schedules. ALL schedules.

4. Find a last name for your kids and stick with it. I see this as being hard for some people but the IRS matches up dependents names with their SSN and if they don't match we disallow the dependent. So taxpayers need to notify the SSA or use the same last names for their kids. You can just imagine how tough this is with latino surnames.

5. You know what...if you make $100k and yet still insist on preparing your own taxes and filling out the form with a pen (and then correcting it with pen) maybe you are an idiot.

I have also learned something I didn't know. "Undocumented" people really do file tax returns and get refunds if they follow the rules. They can't get EIC or some other credits but they can get a refund of over paid with holding. The IRS and SSA will supply them with temporary SSN's that have to be renewed. If they are not renewed they lose all rights.

How do I know they are "undocumented"? Because they file returns using one SSN and name (probably their real name) while submitting W-2's using another name and SSN. Yea, that is much more common that you think.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Re: So my second job kinda effects everyone....

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote:I probably have another couple weeks before they lay me off and I am ready for that.
So that is when you're scheduled to start auditing Trump's tax return?
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

On illegals filing taxes, I always assumed many do. Look at it this way, if I'm the government tax guy I want EVERYONE to file and pay what they owe. I don't care about anything else. If I started taking action against certain people for non tax related issues, all that does is stop them from filing.

It's kiinda in the same category of driver's licenses. I'd want everyone to get tested and get licensed. It's stupid, in my opinion, to run the system in a way that results in some people avoiding getting licensed. All that does is result in unlicensed drivers being on the road, how is that good?

So, good for the tax guys, collecting from them. And good for them for filing.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you're doing something criminal and trying to stay under the radar, don't mess with the IRS. Just ask Al Capone.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I probably have another couple weeks before they lay me off and I am ready for that.
So that is when you're scheduled to start auditing Trump's tax return?
All elected officials tax returns go to a special place unknown, probably in Russia.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Another thing I meant to mention, if you you use a Schedule D or have qualifying dividends you should be at least looking into what using the tax rates there will do for you. For some people they can save lots of money, even with minor amounts of dividends.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Scuzz wrote: 3. Include all schedules. ALL schedules.
That's part of why I e-file (even though e-filing state return costs extra). So I don't have to manually attach a dozen forms and W-2s and 1099s and try and figure out if I forgot some piece of paper somewhere. I'll just let TurboTax send to the IRS whatever it deems necessary.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You're posting this two months too late. Possibly 3 or 4 months late.

I am going to put a lien on your property with compounding daily interest until you go back in time and remedy this situation.
There is no hug button. Sad!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

killbot737 wrote:You're posting this two months too late. Possibly 3 or 4 months late.

I am going to put a lien on your property with compounding daily interest until you go back in time and remedy this situation.
That post plus your avatar is gold!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
mori

Post by mori »

Because they file returns using one SSN and name (probably their real name) while submitting W-2's using another name and SSN.
Can I do that as a citizen? I am curious.

ie, I do work off script and do not want my employer know what I am doing so I use an alias so if somebody asks, I am just Joe Blow that no one has heard of.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

mori wrote:
Because they file returns using one SSN and name (probably their real name) while submitting W-2's using another name and SSN.

ie, I do work off script and do not want my employer know what I am doing so I use an alias so if somebody asks, I am just Joe Blow that no one has heard of.
No because you're not supposed to do that.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

mori wrote:

The problem of course with them doing it is that the person whose SSN they are using is going to benefit from the SS side instead of them. I have actually seen letters included with tax returns where the tax payer admits to using someone elses ID and SSN and asking if we can transfer his SS earnings to his account. No, we don't do that.

As I said above, the SSA will give them a temp SSN that they can renew and use. But some don't use it, or are afraid to use it and many never renew them.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Something else I wanted to mention was the effect of ACA on the IRS. It is a mess. Even now, after what, 4-5 years, the IRS starts the tax season unsure what to do about ACA reporting and ACA forms. Aside from bad or missing SSN's and signatures, I bet the IRS spends more time corresponding with taxpayers about ACA stuff than any other thing.

But, as we say at work, it means more longer employment for us.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jeff V wrote:If you're doing something criminal and trying to stay under the radar, don't mess with the IRS. Just ask Al Capone.
OMG you are right! I tried looking him up to talk and found out he's dead.. The IRS don't play around..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Punisher wrote:
Jeff V wrote:If you're doing something criminal and trying to stay under the radar, don't mess with the IRS. Just ask Al Capone.
OMG you are right! I tried looking him up to talk and found out he's dead.. The IRS don't play around..
Nah, that was from the syphilis. The whores don't play around either (although it's possible they were colluding with the IRS... :ninja: )
Black Lives Matter