[News] Nazi artifacts found in Argentina

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[News] Nazi artifacts found in Argentina

Post by Isgrimnur »

ABC News
In a hidden room in a house near Argentina's capital, police believe they have found the biggest collection of Nazi artifacts in the country's history, including a bust relief of Adolf Hitler, magnifying glasses inside elegant boxes with swastikas and even a macabre medical device used to measure head size.

Some 75 objects were found in a collector's home in Beccar, a suburb north of Buenos Aires, and authorities say they suspect they are originals that belonged to high-ranking Nazis in Germany during World War II.
Among the disturbing items were toys that Bullrich said would have been used to indoctrinate children, a large statue of the Nazi Eagle above a swastika, a Nazi hourglass and a box of harmonicas.
The investigation that culminated in the discovery of the collection began when authorities found artworks of illicit origin in a gallery in north Buenos Aires.

Agents with the international police force Interpol began following the collector and with a judicial order raided the house on June 8. A large bookshelf caught their attention and behind it agents found a hidden passageway to a room filled with Nazi imagery.

Authorities did not identify the collector who remains free but under investigation by a federal judge.
The main hypothesis among investigators and member of Argentina's Jewish community is that they were brought to Argentina by a high-ranking Nazi or Nazis after World War II, when the South American country became a refuge for fleeing war criminals, including some of the best known.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fretmute

Re: [News] Nazi artifacts found in Argentina

Post by Fretmute »

Isgrimnur wrote: . . . and a box of harmonicas.
That's the problem with harmonicas. You just need too damn many of them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not the greatest student of history, but I'm having a hard time remembering the John Popper of Nazis.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
tgb

Post by tgb »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm not the greatest student of history, but I'm having a hard time remembering the John Popper of Nazis.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Are Nazi artifacts illegal in Argentina? I've seen this on several different news sites now, and not one has gone into why it was such a big deal, aside from historical interest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote:Are Nazi artifacts illegal in Argentina? I've seen this on several different news sites now, and not one has gone into why it was such a big deal, aside from historical interest.
Historical interest, that's Hitler's house in Argentina in the above photo. At least this guy believes it I'm sure
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I spent a year abroad there, not in Buenos Aires, but in the "second" city, Cordoba, and remember an almost surreal weekend when my host family took me to visit a relative's house, who had living with them (?) quite an old man who spoke English with a Germanesque accent. Was always accompanied by a young man (driver and seemed like his servant, really). I had some very interesting conversations with him about language (he spoke about 7 IIRC), but it didn't hit me until later what he likely was.

Also, not too far from the house I stayed in, there was a HUGE old hotel type place that was in ruins, but you could see how it was amazing at one time - crystal chandeliers, extravagant furnishings...but now the forest had grown into it completely. And just out in the middle of nowhere, much like that house in the photo above.

Almost "in hiding" but not quite. :D
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

em2nought wrote:Image
Is that the Inalco House?
The History Channel's "Hunting Hitler" did an episode on it.

I watched the entire 2 seasons of it, and it was pretty fascinating, but calls for a good amount of suspension of disbelief.

The finale of Season 2 was about Colonia Dignidad, which was again fascinating, and disturbing. I had never even heard of it until that episode. The film Colonia or "The Colony" (2016) was also based upon it. Also disturbing.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Giles Habibula wrote:
em2nought wrote:Image
Is that the Inalco House?
The History Channel's "Hunting Hitler" did an episode on it.

I watched the entire 2 seasons of it, and it was pretty fascinating, but calls for a good amount of suspension of disbelief.

The finale of Season 2 was about Colonia Dignidad, which was again fascinating, and disturbing. I had never even heard of it until that episode. The film Colonia or "The Colony" (2016) was also based upon it.
That house is the supposed residence in Patagonia, yes I now see that it's called "Inalco" in some sources. Hadn't heard of the Chile thing either. Now fat cats letting other fat cats escape justice, those things I can believe more and more everyday. :think:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If Inalco is in Patagonia, then not the same one. There is a hotel in La Falda that is Nazi famous (Hotel Eden) but looks way too nice in the photos I saw. Same area though.

At least in 1994, this place I was taken to was very far off the beaten path, and the surrounding woods had almost reclaimed the structure.