[TV series] Watchmen

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: [TV series] Watchmen

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

From Wikipedia:
In a lengthy Instagram post from Damon Lindelof while the show was in early production, it was revealed that the Watchmen series will not be a direct adaptation of the original source material, instead, being "remixed"; aiming to tell an entirely new story set in the world where the events of the original storyline took place. The series will also showcase different points of view, with the only characters from the original storyline confirmed to appear in the series being Doctor Manhattan, the former Silk Spectre, and former hero Ozymandias.
Premise

"Watchmen takes place in an alternative, contemporary reality in the United States, in which masked vigilantes became outlawed due to their violent methods. Despite this, some gather around in order to start a revolution while others are out to stop it before it is too late, as a greater question rises above them all; who watches the Watchmen?"

Setting

The series takes place in Tulsa, Oklahoma in an alternative reality in 2019—one with no internet or smartphones—34 years after the comic ends. Robert Redford is the longest-serving President of the United States, having been elected in 1992. After a radical group of Rorschach followers that calls themselves "The Seventh Cavalry" (wearing homemade Rorschach masks) commits simultaneous attacks on the houses of police members, the police start wearing masks.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

October 20th.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

January 5th
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:P

TechRadar
Where can I watch it? HBO (US), Channel 4 (UK), Foxtel (AU)
When will it be released? October 20
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I need to watch the movie. I know it wasn't as good as the comics, but I am curious.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:51 pm :P

TechRadar
Where can I watch it? HBO (US), Channel 4 (UK), Foxtel (AU)
When will it be released? October 20
I thought we were just throwing out random dates :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Early reviews have been good...

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/watch ... 202181390/

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/10/15/wa ... eview-hbo/

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-revi ... ew-897290/

I'm very optimistic, but I'm also a huge Damon Lindelof fan anyway. The Leftovers buys me a tremendous amount of leeway.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jag wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm I need to watch the movie. I know it wasn't as good as the comics, but I am curious.
If nothing else, it has one of the greatest opening credit sequences of all time:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Any impressions? I watched last night and came away impressed. A good first episode doesn't necessary mean quality will follow, but it's a good sign. It's still hard to tell where they're going with this after just the first episode, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I enjoyed it. Despite how much I enjoyed the last two seasons of The Leftovers, I'm still wary of Lindelof after the bad taste Lost left in my mouth, but so far it seems pretty interesting and I have no idea where it's going.

As I side note, I probably wouldn't have picked up on many of the world-building things if I hadn't read reviews (e.g. "redfordation"). Presumably they will be more directly explained in future episodes.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like that it's 20 years after the end of the comic. They can draw upon the world that Alan Moore built but have flexibility in going their own direction.

Oh and also liked it a lot. Hope the acting and writing holds up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Really, really liked it. I enjoyed the comic (heck,I even enjoyed the movie) but I like that they're just using that as backstory to tell a new story.

As usual with a Lindelof show I have no idea exactly what's happening or where it's going. :oops:
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:08 pm I enjoyed it. Despite how much I enjoyed the last two seasons of The Leftovers, I'm still wary of Lindelof after the bad taste Lost left in my mouth, but so far it seems pretty interesting and I have no idea where it's going.

As I side note, I probably wouldn't have picked up on many of the world-building things if I hadn't read reviews (e.g. "redfordation"). Presumably they will be more directly explained in future episodes.
https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

For more supplemental story material - fun stuff.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure about it yet. It may just be because Lindelof's track record for me isn't that great, though. But until I start to see the multiple plot points he's laid out come together....and in a meaningful manner...I'll reserve my judgement.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Malificent wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:14 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:08 pm I enjoyed it. Despite how much I enjoyed the last two seasons of The Leftovers, I'm still wary of Lindelof after the bad taste Lost left in my mouth, but so far it seems pretty interesting and I have no idea where it's going.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

For more supplemental story material - fun stuff.
That material is fantastic btw. Really fills in the gaps between the comic and the show and provides tremendous worldbuilding.

Good summary here, but definitely read the source material. Especially about the Rorshach journal.
Spoiler:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Watched episode 2 last night. Still not entirely sure where we're going, but I'm seriously enjoying the ride. The music (in part by Trent Reznor) is doing a great job of setting the mood.

I also just looked at the Peteypedia for this week's episode, and they have a court opinion regarding a rehearing in a suit filed (and apparently dismissed) by survivors of the 1921 Tulsa Massacre against OK, Tulsa, and the Tulsa PD. On a lark I searched the citation number that they gave this case: 391 F.3d 1155. Sure enough, it's an actual case involving the Tulsa Massacre (Alexander v. Oklahoma), but in the real world the rehearing was denied. There's no written opinion on the denial, but there is a dissent which is largely mirrored by the Peteypedia entry. I thought that was a cool touch.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jean Smart just knocking it out of the park in episode 3.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 am Watched episode 2 last night. Still not entirely sure where we're going, but I'm seriously enjoying the ride. The music (in part by Trent Reznor) is doing a great job of setting the mood.
It's full on eighties horror/sci fi film background music. I keep expecting to see John Carpenter or Goblin listed in the music credits.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:15 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 am Watched episode 2 last night. Still not entirely sure where we're going, but I'm seriously enjoying the ride. The music (in part by Trent Reznor) is doing a great job of setting the mood.
It's full on eighties horror/sci fi film background music. I keep expecting to see John Carpenter or Goblin listed in the music credits.
That mixed with NIN/Industrial sounds. I think it works.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was actually stating that as a positive.
He won. Period.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

The movie has long been on my watch list but haven't got around to it. I've been under the impression it's a sort of anti-hero superhero movie? Sort of? Never dug too deep as I try to avoid spoilers and heard it's a good film.

I started this series a little wary since I don't know the source material but after the first episode and a little reading I gather that's not a bad thing, that this is a show based in the same world but many years later?

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes although a story about white supremacists and squid storms vs. masked cops and a few superheroes who don't seem very super isn't at all what I was expecting. Plus Jeremy Irons scenes have felt like they were guest written/directed by David Lynch and I have no idea what they're about.

Then this current episode airs and I feel like I'm just now missing out on not having watched the movie.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The movie was not great (although I didn't think it was as terrible as some people did), but it did follow the comic closely and would serve as a quick way to get the background information that would make the show more understandable.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't remember much from the movie, but I do remember thinking it was overly long and pretty boring. After three episodes, though, the show has definitely made me more interested in trying to find the book.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually like the movie. Jackie Earle Haley is the living embodiment of Rorschach.

...not to be confused with Horseshack, who was the living embodiment of a Sweathog.
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Daveman wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:56 pm The movie has long been on my watch list but haven't got around to it. I've been under the impression it's a sort of anti-hero superhero movie? Sort of? Never dug too deep as I try to avoid spoilers and heard it's a good film.

I started this series a little wary since I don't know the source material but after the first episode and a little reading I gather that's not a bad thing, that this is a show based in the same world but many years later?

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes although a story about white supremacists and squid storms vs. masked cops and a few superheroes who don't seem very super isn't at all what I was expecting. Plus Jeremy Irons scenes have felt like they were guest written/directed by David Lynch and I have no idea what they're about.

Then this current episode airs and I feel like I'm just now missing out on not having watched the movie.

That's a pretty good 17 minute long explanation of what happens in Watchmen and why it's important.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'd meant to post sooner but thanks a lot for that video, it helped a lot. Still want to see the movie at some point.

The show has been great, and the last two episodes in particular were fantastic. Glad I got over my initial expectation bewilderment.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daveman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm I'd meant to post sooner but thanks a lot for that video, it helped a lot. Still want to see the movie at some point.

The show has been great, and the last two episodes in particular were fantastic. Glad I got over my initial expectation bewilderment.
The entire graphic novel is on Amazon right now for $4.99 on e-book which can be read on pc or tablet via comixology app or other reader. I got it for my ipad. Well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSN8LE/
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The last episode was a really inventive way to tell a hero’s origin story and they did a great job in incorporating the complexities of race and sexual identity in the shaping of the hero’s story.

It’s a shame that the season is getting close to the end but the quality of the writing, direction and acting make me excited for season 2.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I've decided that I'm just going to watch the show as a bunch of individual episodes. It's more enjoyable that way. That way I won't be disappointed if it doesn't build toward something brilliant. The characters are interesting and they've taken some chances on how a Watchman style world might look today.

The one area my plan is failing: Please don't screw up Dr. Manhattan.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daveman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm I'd meant to post sooner but thanks a lot for that video, it helped a lot. Still want to see the movie at some point.

Not to dissuade you from the movie, but the graphic novel really is fantastic and has a lot more backstory than made it into the film. I'd recommend both.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am The last episode was a really inventive way to tell a hero’s origin story and they did a great job in incorporating the complexities of race and sexual identity in the shaping of the hero’s story.

It’s a shame that the season is getting close to the end but the quality of the writing, direction and acting make me excited for season 2.
I'm not a big fan of the flashback when used in shows. I didn't like last episode as it did little to move things forward and I didn't really "feel" like I needed explination of the life story of grandpa to see where things are headed.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:55 pm The one area my plan is failing: Please don't screw up Dr. Manhattan.
We'l see but clearly he'll play a major role in the last two episodes.

Really, really enjoying this series - probably may favorite series of 2019.

I don't think Season 2 is a given. From what I understand this story will come to a resolution in episode 9. I'm sure there will be some loose ends and enough leads to allow a season 2 if it's greenlighted but I think the idea is for Season 1 to be able to stand on its own.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Exodor wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:55 pm The one area my plan is failing: Please don't screw up Dr. Manhattan.
We'l see but clearly he'll play a major role in the last two episodes.

Really, really enjoying this series - probably may favorite series of 2019.

I don't think Season 2 is a given. From what I understand this story will come to a resolution in episode 9. I'm sure there will be some loose ends and enough leads to allow a season 2 if it's greenlighted but I think the idea is for Season 1 to be able to stand on its own.
Yep, I did not see that episode ending coming.

Also, I'm glad they didn't try to explain the elephant.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am The last episode was a really inventive way to tell a hero’s origin story and they did a great job in incorporating the complexities of race and sexual identity in the shaping of the hero’s story.

I'm not a big fan of the flashback when used in shows. I didn't like last episode as it did little to move things forward and I didn't really "feel" like I needed explination of the life story of grandpa to see where things are headed.
It didn't move anything forward? It put the whole story together, gave context to it all, and made it meaningful. It was probably the best use of a 'weak trope' and elevating it that I can remember.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’ve been loving this series so far, despite having no connection to the original comic. Somehow every episode just seems to get weirder and weirder, which is great.

I do have one quibble, though:
Spoiler:
after taking the nostalgia pills, Angela has flashbacks that include when her grandfather “killed” the chief of police. Yet that happened the same night Angela first meets her grandfather and takes him to her restaurant. So when did her grandfather have time to make new nostalgia pills that included him mesmerizing and killing the police chief?
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 pm I’ve been loving this series so far, despite having no connection to the original comic. Somehow every episode just seems to get weirder and weirder, which is great.

Spoiler:
after taking the nostalgia pills, Angela has flashbacks that include when her grandfather “killed” the chief of police. Yet that happened the same night Angela first meets her grandfather and takes him to her restaurant. So when did her grandfather have time to make new nostalgia pills that included him mesmerizing and killing the police chief?
I think you have a point but there is an out --
Spoiler:
IIRC they found the pills after it was dropped from the sky. They could have been "updated" between that night and the return of car. He now had time to add that memory in.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The last two episodes were phenomenal. I watched Ep 7 last night and, not to get too cliched, was sitting on the edge of my couch for the last 15-20 minutes. I haven't checked out the Peteypedia for that episode yet, but I'll get to that today. If you haven't been reviewing that, you might want to check it out. It's adding some interesting context that I don't know whether it will be introduced in the show.
Spoiler:
For example, one of the entries for Episode 6 (I think) mentioned that Lady Trieu is suspected of funding Vietnamese separatist terrorist groups, which adds an extra layer to Episode 7's interactions between Lady Trieu and Abigail.
malchior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm

It didn't move anything forward? It put the whole story together, gave context to it all, and made it meaningful. It was probably the best use of a 'weak trope' and elevating it that I can remember.
Yeah, Draz's comment doesn't make much sense to me on multiple levels. First, there's nothing wrong with flashbacks in general. If a story is told in full linear fashion, you lose the opportunity for revealing past information that both shapes the future story and sheds light on scenes we've already seen (unless you'd prefer that information being revealed in real time via boring exposition). Episode 6 (and parts of Episode 7) did this exceedingly well. Second, I don't know how one could view Reeves's past as unnecessary to see where things are headed. It explained both why he killed the chief and why he is continuing to do what he's doing.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 pm I’ve been loving this series so far, despite having no connection to the original comic. Somehow every episode just seems to get weirder and weirder, which is great.

Spoiler:
I think you have a point but there is an out --
Spoiler:
IIRC they found the pills after it was dropped from the sky. They could have been "updated" between that night and the return of car. He now had time to add that memory in.
Ah, I think you're right. I had thought he had been carrying them when she first met him. Quibble rescinded!
Black Lives Matter