Ouch, my crotch, er, my hip!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Re: Ouch, my crotch, er, my hip!

Post by Default »

Not going home today, after all. They were suppose to give me a raised commode and someone entered the wrong code. I have certain protocols that l have to maintain for six month and one of them is bending the leg at a greater than 90° angle. Some, maybe l finally get my complimentary sponge bath.

Held up by a safety requirement!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken

Post by Default »

stessier wrote:Congrats!!

How is the pain? How long until they start weening you off the drugs? With all the opioid news, taking the things makes me nervous (not that I'm in line for a hip replacement, but when I had oral surgery).

All opiods do for me is clog me up. :horse: Some Dilaudid, and blood thinners, but l expect only occasionally using painkillers after next week. The pt people said l was doing very well. With another day here, l should be twerking in no time!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Good news. Push the PT as much as they will allow. It's the key to feeling better--although it will suck hard until then.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon

Post by Default »

Just got up to water the garden, and was in agony. I was pushing today and l felt it. The dementia patient that was screaming all night doesn't help.

Post by Default »

Third day in the hospital. They have located a commode for me, so l can be released, but I'm just sitting around, cooling my heels. Still sore, operated leg is weaker than the other, but I can't wait to be moving around. Had my kid bring over a pair of bathing suits, as l had not anticipated the bulk of the bandage. A kilt would work well in this situation.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When my oldest kid broke his hip and was in a spica cast for 6 weeks, we bought a bunch of oversized lounge pants, and my mother-in-law split them on the seams and sewed on snaps along the edges where the seams were. This let us put pants on him more easily (although all the little snaps were a bitch) without having to worry about moving his legs too much. Not sure if something like that would work for you (or if its worth it - not sure how long you'll need it).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Don't count out the mumu! Homer pulled it off.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Post by Default »

stessier wrote:Don't count out the mumu! Homer pulled it off.
Now yer talkin'!

I have my commode, getting sprung in half an hour.

Post by Default »

ImLawBoy wrote:When my oldest kid broke his hip and was in a spica cast for 6 weeks, we bought a bunch of oversized lounge pants, and my mother-in-law split them on the seams and sewed on snaps along the edges where the seams were. This let us put pants on him more easily (although all the little snaps were a bitch) without having to worry about moving his legs too much. Not sure if something like that would work for you (or if its worth it - not sure how long you'll need it).

Re-experience "Hammer Time"? I'm in!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Default wrote:They have located a commode for me, [...] but I'm just sitting around, cooling my heels.
Um... Possibly you're doing it wrong.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote:
Default wrote:They have located a commode for me, [...] but I'm just sitting around, cooling my heels.
Um... Possibly you're doing it wrong.
DAMMIT!!!

Post by Default »

Sugery Monday, Thursday can stand without a walker or cane. Damn! Pain under control. Will probably move to Tylenol tomorrow. Amazing to think that l had major surgery and am healing this quickly. Saturday or Sunday, will start using a cane, at least around the house.

Post by Default »

Friday. I can stand unaided, although I can't use a can yet. Pain is negligible, except for an unpredictable hamstring issue. I have no Tylenol in the house, so l took the prescription meds. As soon as l have some otc, l won't need the opiod. I was able to rest on my side last night, as long as l had a pillow between my legs. Worst issue so far is l am terribly stiff after sleeping.

:-D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Can I have your opioids?

Post by Default »

Kraken wrote:Can I have your opioids?
Just letting you know, they made a mistake at the pharmacy and gave me the suppository version.

Post by Default »

Day 6 :
Since the operation, the target leg has been swollen and painful in two places. First was the surgery site, the posterior hip replacement, and just above the knee. I was discouraged from using ice on the swelling as that would slow the healing process.

Now that I can go to the Tylenol and ice regimen, I can lose the opiod constipation and the stool softener, and l can put weight on my bionic hip. Progress!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Glad to read up cause I have been thinking of you. Keep on being smart about things and taking the help as it comes. Love that you can still joke around, not that I would expect anything else!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White

Post by Default »

Nurse just left. Bp good, wound looks good. She said to eat a lot of protein to promote healing. Yay, chicken. Bad news. Blood ir is far too high. 4.2, instead of 2.1. A nose bleed means a trip to the emergency room. A decent cut with a kitchen knife means, and I quote, "bleeding out". I am off the blood thinner until Thursday, when I get my next ir test, and possibly off it until Monday. Juggling tomahawks is off the table for a while.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Glad to hear you're doing well!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Post by Default »

stessier wrote:Glad to hear you're doing well!
Just documenting for the next person who has to go through this.
tgb

Post by tgb »

As I posted previously, my Dr. had said that I could postpone the surgery as long as the cortisone shots were helping. I had one ordered but never made it before I landed in the hospital last week. Monday I called and rescheduled for tomorrow.

This afternoon I had a follow up visit with my primary, and casually mentioned what I had planned. He freaked out and said that it was the worst thing to do with a history of ulcers, especially 10 days after serious abdominal surgery. So I called the orthopedist and he said t was this or nothing.

Oy.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

Post by Default »

<cringe>

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't punt the surgery a few months down the line. I can't imagine trying to recoup from two surgeries at the same time. Is your doctor suggesting a rehab facility?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Default wrote:<cringe>

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't punt the surgery a few months down the line. I can't imagine trying to recoup from two surgeries at the same time. Is your doctor suggesting a rehab facility?
No. He's suggesting that I consult with my primary about a "cooling down" period and then get the shot.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

Post by Default »

Hopefully, the shot will do more for you than it did for me. It should, most people aren't as active at work as l am. I've had impingement for the entirety of my life, I just thought it was normal.

Post by Default »

11 days after surgery, took a 1/2 block walk with a cane. Reasonable amount of fatigue, no pain meds needed, just ice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to hear that you're on the mend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Indeed. Keep us posted.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Default wrote:11 days after surgery, took a 1/2 block walk with a cane. Reasonable amount of fatigue, no pain meds needed, just ice.
Sword cane I presume? Don't let us down.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote:
Default wrote:11 days after surgery, took a 1/2 block walk with a cane. Reasonable amount of fatigue, no pain meds needed, just ice.
Sword cane I presume? Don't let us down.
Had to use the straight one. The curved was not as useful for hobbling.
Inr down to 1.6, or the consistancy of a shamrock shake. Waiting fir a callback from the nurse, will probaby end up on a 2mg dose of warfarin. I may be sensitive to bloodthinners, it being the first time I have to use them. Stitches are scheduled to be removed in two weeks.

Post by Default »

Day 12:
Did not use the walker at all today. Cane only from here out. If necessary, I can get around without a cane, although it's a slow progress. Took a three block walk today, and rested afterward, but didn't need pain meds. Pretty astounding to think how far I have come after such major surgery.
The visiting nurse is taking the stitches out Monday, which should help me sleep better. One more week of in home pt and then I move to an out-patient basis. Concurrently with that, I will be utilizing the nearby walking trail to build up my endurance.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Good for you. Nice to see you making such progress.

Post by Default »

It is astounding.

Post by Default »

Two weeks after having my old hip sawed out and replaced, I took a half mile walk. I will be done with the cane by Wednesday, therapist wants to replay today's walk without a cane. As of this moment, I can drive an automatic with out any issues, although I don't want to drive any great distance, at least until I am off the warfarin.

Thoughts for any future hip replacement candidates.
Prepare!
Have a cane, a walker, a shower chair and a commode ready. The commode or raised seat for the toilet is something that you will use the longest time. A shower chair is mandatory, because you are going to be unsteady on your feet. You do not want to fall while you are on anticoagulants. Get a long handled sponge to wash your legs with. you won't be able to bend for a while. Pick these up at a thrift store if you want to save a couple of bucks, or borrow them from somebody that has them.
Have a support structure in place!
Prepare a lot of microwave meals. You aren't going to be up to cooking, so, the easier, the better. Consult with your doctor about your diet. Leafy green vegetables contain large amounts of vitamin K, which promotes blood clotting and that will influence the dosage of anti-bloodclot meds.
Don't be a hero!
Make sure that you have people to help!
They boot you out of the hospital the next day if they can. I ended up staying an extra day in the hospital, because they messed up the commode order and it is necessary to prevent dislocating the hip. I am glad that I had the extra day because l was a mess. My ex and the kids were wonderful. Don't pretend that you can do the same things if you just "man up". It is easy to dislocate your new hip if you don't follow your protocols. Let your family and friends do for you. Being selfish is a good thing, at least for the first month.

I'm very pleased with the rapidity of my recovery, and the absence of pain and discomfort is a wonder. I highly recommend the surgery, if you are a candidate for it. One side benfit is the lowgrade depression that I have been dragging around seems to have lifted. Conclusion? Pain is no fun, why put up with it?
Last edited by Default on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for writing that up. I've had arthritis in my hips and knees for years and, while I'm a long way from needing medical attention, it's likely to get there someday if something else doesn't kill me first. Whenever I wince or grumble about pain, Wife mentions replacement, as if it's like taking the car in for new shocks. I've been relating your experience to show her that it's kind of a big deal.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Thanks for the walkthrough. Now that I know what to expect I can plan accordingly.

Post by Default »

Kraken wrote: Whenever I wince or grumble about pain, Wife mentions replacement, as if it's like taking the car in for new shocks. I've been relating your experience to show her that it's kind of a big deal.
Yes, it is a big deal, but you are talking 2-3 weeks of discormfort for painfree mobility. It's worth it. It might be possible that they can go in and resurface the joint, so investigate that option. I think that you would only lose a week from your business.

Post by Default »

Last post on this topic, unless questions come up. Woke up stiff, which is to be expected. Went into the kitchen, made breakfast and realized after 15 minutes that I wasn't using my cane, nor did I need it. 18 days since total hip replacement.

Color me satisfied. :D

Post by Default »

Week 4
There have been some wrinkles in the recovery process. I am moving arround very well, to the point where the surgeon thinks l can skip physical therapy, however the incision has not healed properly. The stitches underneath the skin have prevented the wound from closing, allowing a mild infection to set in. Yesterday, he removed several in an office visit and if the or is free, he will go in, clean it out more thoroughly and l will come how with wound vac attached to me.
A wound vac is exactly what it sounds like. A dressing is placed one the area of my incision, an airtight seal goes on top and a small hose evacuates the air. This is supposed to reduce healing time by 80%.
Was not expecting this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Default wrote:Last post on this topic...
Hey, you promised!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

coopasonic wrote:
Default wrote:Last post on this topic...
Hey, you promised!
I know! I just want this nonsense over so l can get back to working like a dog!