[Documentary] Zero Days - Stuxnet virus

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just finished watching this, and wow. Mind blown.

Anyone else see it? One of those documentaries I think EVERYone should see after I watch it.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VgIayOpjEc

Basically, it's looks into who created Stuxnet, how it worked, and the broader implications of not cyber defense, but national cyber offensive weapons (which apparently we have some big 'uns).

Fascinating stuff.
Anonymous Bosch

Re: [Documentary] Zero Days - Stuxnet virus

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Yup, I also thoroughly enjoyed it (and share your sentiments in feeling like it's one of those crucial documentaries everyone ought to watch).

It's utterly captivating, and aptly emphasizes the importance of openly discussing and establishing cyber warfare doctrine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The book was really good. I gave it 7 of 8 tentacles when I reviewed it a few years ago.

Good luck getting the government to openly discuss anything. They hoard important software vulnerabilities like priceless treasures - they have no interest helping private industry bulletproof their systems; they wants to have the ability to pull off Stuxnet-like shit when enemies use compromised software or firmware.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i will do, but now i'm torn between reading the book or seeing the documentary. i assume the book is far more detailed - does it go into technicals? i would be interested in that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hitbyambulance wrote:i will do, but now i'm torn between reading the book or seeing the documentary. i assume the book is far more detailed - does it go into technicals? i would be interested in that.
I haven't seen the documentary so I can't compare the two. The engineering of the virus was sheer genius, I'm not sure how well that translates into the documentary but those who watched it seem as impressed as I was with the book. The reverse-engineering by the Kaspersky team was also pretty fascinating. I always recommend the book first, because if you watch the video first, you might never get to the book.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, did not realize there's a book. Might have to download it from library if they have it. I would absolutely read it even though I've seen the documentary. Hell, if anything that made me want to read/know more details, though I felt it was pretty thorough.

There are some videos shown that are key to the whole thing though (screens from some terminals at the Iranian nuke facility), so not sure how they would convey that in the book. Pics?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

BTW, for anyone interested in seeing this that has Amazon Prime, you can watch it for free by way of a 7-day free trial of Showtime on Amazon Channels. If you don't want to risk being charged for the full service, just cancel it immediately after activating the trial. It'll still be good for 7 days, after which you definitely will not be charged for the full service.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Definitely worth that little bit of PITA to watch this, IMO.