Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

Post by Moliere »

Boxing champion vs. MMA champion, fighting under boxing rules.

Floyd Mayweather
Pro: defensive skills, boxing experience

Conor McGregor
Pro: youth, power, size

Jim Lampley EPIC break down of Mayweather vs McGregor

My pretend money is on Floyd Mayweather. Conor only wins by getting a lucky power punch in to knock Floyd out.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

Post by McNutt »

I think the odds of landing a KO punch (the only way McGregor wins) is 100/1. Floyd is going to make him look silly.
Last edited by McNutt on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Tnis is an even more ludicrous scam than Mayweather's previous PPV fight. I pity the simpletons willing to pay for it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This doesn't seem fair at all. The boxer gets to box while the fighter has to box.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't like any of that MMA crap, and Mayweather is a shitty human being. Pass.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The most annoying part is all the hype they're trying to generate for pay per view sales. It's taking Tyson's "I'm going to eat your kids" to a whole new level. Conor McGregor must have a social media team looking this stuff up in order to find more ways to get in Floyd's head. I hope Floyd sticks with his defensive game.
The craziest part about the whole thing, though, was that, aside from Draymond getting served, McGregor was actually running a long and inappropriate troll on Mayweather from the outset. Apparently, McGregor has been doing his homework, because the Watson jersey wasn't a coincidence—it was a reference to allegations that Watson at one point was texting affectionately with the mother of Mayweather's children, Josie Harris. The exchange between Harris and Watson allegedly enraged Mayweather to the point that he dragged Harris out of bed by the hair, and punched and kicked her before security could break up the attack. Mayweather was arrested for domestic violence—a crime that he has been frequently accused of.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Five more days.

How Conor McGregor Can Beat Floyd Mayweather
Spoiler:
“a snowball’s chance in hell”
Conor McGregor blasting heavy bag with power punches
Blasting should be in quotes. :lol:

Compare that to Tyson
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

To be fair, it's pretty obvious McGregor isn't being very serious with his punches in that clip.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Covenant72 wrote:To be fair, it's pretty obvious McGregor isn't being very serious with his punches in that clip.
Then he shouldn't have held a press conference with a hundred observers to show it off... :lol:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
mori

Post by mori »

Anyone who has ever seen a McGregor fight knows it will not get past the 3rd round. Either he knocks out Mayweather, or McGregor becomes a punching bag until he gives up. I have one friend taking $100 bets who is completely convinced the fix is in and that McGregor has to win in order for there to be a rematch. I just don't care that much.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

I came into this thread reading Connor MacLeod.

Totally different match-up.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Shinjin wrote:I came into this thread reading Connor MacLeod.

Totally different match-up.
There can be only one.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

For some reason I'm excited for the fight. We are doing a fantasy football draft Saturday, and will buy the pay per view when the draft is over.

I'll be rooting for McGregor, if only to see bookies everywhere weep openly.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Stumbled into watching this. Haven't seen a boxing match in a long time. It did seem like they dragged it out so buyers wouldn't be annoyed at a short fight. Was like McGregor hit a switch in the ninth and was exhausted. Tough to see some of those punches in real time, but looked real painful in the slo-mo.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It went as expected: Floyd let Conor flail around for a few rounds so he could figure him out. Then he started advancing and by round 9 he was dominating. Conor spent most of the fight trying to grab him from behind and throw hammer punches to Floyd's head.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Moliere wrote:It went as expected: Floyd let Conor flail around for a few rounds so he could figure him out. Then he started advancing and by round 9 he was dominating. Conor spent most of the fight trying to grab him from behind and throw hammer punches to Floyd's head.
There were also times when it looked like Mayweather was quickly turning his back to McGregar. I was at a large party so I didn't really hear the announcers well, but I'm pretty sure they were even talking about it at one point.

All I know is that the fight was entertaining enough, and I won $60 thanks to McGregar hugging his way out of the 9th to get TKO'd in the 10th. And the post-fight interview with McGregar was pretty good. "Let me wobble back to me corner..." :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched the fight as well. My main takeaways is how easy it is now to finds streams of PPV thanks to Twitter.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I lost $20 on the fight. I had McGregor getting TKO'd in the 5th round. I failed to take into account that boxing rounds are shorter and he would get a lot more breaks. Two other guys guessed closer to Round 10.

You could tell by Mayweather's demeanor he was not threatened at all. He was just biding his time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does that mean that Mayweather gets to keep MacGregor's lucky coin?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Figured this would be the end from the start. Mayweather fought the fight he always had and McGregor could only do half his fighting. Why he even accepted I dont know. Well yes I do and he even said it the other day..:I still get 75 million for losing"...So there ya have it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A lot of videos talking about how terrible Conor is at throwing a punch. No power, bad footwork and posture.

Teddy Atlas explains that by stopping the fight the Ref helped Conor in two ways: 1) he prevented him from getting completely knocked out and carried out of the ring and more importantly, 2) Conor and all the idiots like Skip Bayless can harp about it being too early. I hope there is no rematch. He doesn't deserve it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote:He doesn't deserve it.
Doesn't matter. What matters is how many yahoos will splurge on PPV despite knowing that Mayweather never, ever will accept a fight that he could possibly lose.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I can't imagine anyone paying for a rematch. It was a sideshow that relied on the question "can an MMA fighter stand with a world-class boxer?" We know the answer already.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Courtesy of 50 Cent's Instagram. :lol:

Also, I thought it was funny how during the Ref's pre-fight instructions he never once looked at Floyd. He just kept saying "let's stick to the rules of boxing" over and over.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

McNutt wrote:I can't imagine anyone paying for a rematch. It was a sideshow that relied on the question "can an MMA fighter stand with a world-class boxer?" We know the answer already.
Is that answer yes? 10 rounds seems like a pretty good showing. Honestly, I'm not sure the whole thing wasn't fixed. Neither fighter seemed to even get bloodied, let alone look like they'd gone 10 rounds in a boxing match.
msteelers wrote: There were also times when it looked like Mayweather was quickly turning his back to McGregar. I was at a large party so I didn't really hear the announcers well, but I'm pretty sure they were even talking about it at one point.
I watched a "rerun" of it on youtube and one of the announcers mentioned it MANY times and seemed pretty angry that the ref wasn't doing something about it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni