Long Live Microsoft Paint!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Long Live Microsoft Paint!

Post by Moliere »

Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years
Microsoft’s next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.

First released with the very first version of Windows 1.0 in 1985, Paint in its various guises would be one of the first graphics editors used by many and became a core part of Windows. Starting life as a 1-bit monochrome licensed version of ZSoft’s PC Paintbrush, it wasn’t until Windows 98 that Paint could save in JPEG.
Last edited by Moliere on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Re: RIP Microsoft Paint

Post by LordMortis »

it wasn’t until Windows 98 that Paint could save in JPEG.
I remember that... not so... fondly.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Umm.. I still use paint... I think I may be the only one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:Umm.. I still use paint... I think I may be the only one.
I use it for conversion and really basic editing stuff all of the time (Like white washing or adding text). Not so much as a real image editor though.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I use it constantly for screen grabs. Often times a quick screen shot from our tracking software can save me time and frustration versus having to explain something over phone or email.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's not actually dead yet but has been given a terminal diagnosis.

As a deprecated feature they aren't developing it but haven't officially announced removal.

See here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brian wrote:I use it constantly for screen grabs. Often times a quick screen shot from our tracking software can save me time and frustration versus having to explain something over phone or email.
If you are using to grab a small piece of a screenshot, have you tried Snipping Tool?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Snipping Tool changed my life.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic wrote:
Brian wrote:I use it constantly for screen grabs. Often times a quick screen shot from our tracking software can save me time and frustration versus having to explain something over phone or email.
If you are using to grab a small piece of a screenshot, have you tried Snipping Tool?
I've been happy using Greenshot.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Brian

Post by Brian »

coopasonic wrote:If you are using to grab a small piece of a screenshot, have you tried Snipping Tool?

Nope. Wasn't even aware of it.

Stupid progress.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Brian wrote:
coopasonic wrote:If you are using to grab a small piece of a screenshot, have you tried Snipping Tool?

Nope. Wasn't even aware of it.

Stupid progress.

Very handy especially when the cropping tool built in to Office projects leaves the image in tact and you don't always want people to be able to see the whole image.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Moliere wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
I've been happy using Greenshot.
I really like Greenshot, but I'll like it even more when they add an eraser tool to it.

I still occasionally end up using Paint when I want to combine two related screenshots into one file that I need to send to customer - so I still combine them in Paint.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I use Paint once in a blue moon when, for some reason, I need to edit a graphic on Wife's machine. She doesn't have any graphics programs installed, so I just reach for the one I know is always there.

Myself, I still favor PaintShop Pro 4.1, a 1996 shareware version that has just the right balance of simplicity and versatility. I bought PSP 10 many years ago but found it to be an overcomplicated Photoshop wannabe, so I still prefer good ol' 4.0. It won't install in the modern Windows environment, but it still runs if you just plop the folder down and doubleclick the exe. And since I actually paid for PSP 10 I don't feel guilty about exceeding the 30-day license for 4.1. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Snipping tool is nice, but I need to occasionally add an arrow or call out box. I guess I need to look and see what IrfanView has.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Snipping tool is nice, but I need to occasionally add an arrow or call out box. I guess I need to look and see what IrfanView has.
I use Irfanview occasionally because it parses large .tif files that MS photo viewer in its various names and incarnations cannot handle.

I tend to pastes pictures in to word or powerpoint or outlook where I can add arrows and such. However, I note that Outlook doesn't keep the arrows and such where you put them when you mail the image with arrow and such layered on them. grumble grumble
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote:Snipping tool is nice, but I need to occasionally add an arrow or call out box.
Greenshot is great for that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gilraen wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Snipping tool is nice, but I need to occasionally add an arrow or call out box.
Greenshot is great for that.
Built in and easy, huh? Noted.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:Snipping tool is nice, but I need to occasionally add an arrow or call out box. I guess I need to look and see what IrfanView has.
You can't add text, but snipping tool let's you draw and highlight on the image you capture.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I switched to Paint Shop Pro, before they got sold to Corel or whoever it was. Then I switched to PaintNet. That's the perfect program for me. It has just enough advanced features, relative to something like Paint, that it does everything I need it to do. It's simple to use because it's not loaded with ALL the features of something like Photoshop. In my experience you have to choose from pro level stuff like Photoshop, or wannabe imitators like GIMP who manage to have terrible user interfaces or overly simple programs like Paint. PaintNet hits that sweet spot of being slick to use and capable.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I use it to quickly send a screenshot to some User of what they need to do, or what I see, etc. - but to add something or crop the image, etc...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote:
I also just use it for screenshots. In fact I used it yesterday. I take a shot then paste it into Paint then save it and upload to tinypic for someone to view. Never used ti as a real paint program. Come to think of it I haven't looked at my FPT site in YEARS!! ugh.

Ill check out Snipping.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Paint.NET is the bee's knees.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, Paint, you were always there to remind me that I've not yet installed something better every time I got a new or newly imaged machine. Now I guess I'll just right-click on the file and stare blankly when the "Open with" command has nothing to offer. I wish I could say something nice about it but....32 years and virtually no improvement? What was the product team doing all that time? Golfing with Ballmer?
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote:Ah, Paint, you were always there to remind me that I've not yet installed something better every time I got a new or newly imaged machine. Now I guess I'll just right-click on the file and stare blankly when the "Open with" command has nothing to offer. I wish I could say something nice about it but....32 years and virtually no improvement? What was the product team doing all that time? Golfing with Ballmer?
Well they were fulfilling every singly demand you made on them and regarding your needs from a default paint program.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I gave them credit for that, didn't I? :P I never could stand using it to actually do anything. In the early days, Paint Shop Pro was my friend. Lately it's been a cheap-ass derivative of Photoshop.
Black Lives Matter
newcomer

Post by newcomer »

Yeah heard the news, pretty sad in deed been using paint for the longest time especially in print screen.
Writer at Bushwacker by day, and a couch potato by night....
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

newcomer wrote:Yeah heard the news, pretty sad in deed been using paint for the longest time especially in print screen.
If you're a bot, you're good. And if you aren't, welcome.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I used Paint just today. I use it to doctor up helmets for my fantasy football league. Never needed anything grand to do that. If paint goes away I'll have to find something else that is simple to use.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Microsoft will eventually kill everything you love. It's their way.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I remember PC Paintbrush :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zombie Paint
Today, we’ve seen an incredible outpouring of support and nostalgia around MS Paint. If there’s anything we learned, it’s that after 32 years, MS Paint has a lot of fans. It’s been amazing to see so much love for our trusty old app. Amidst today’s commentary around MS Paint we wanted to take this opportunity to set the record straight, clear up some confusion and share some good news:

MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free.

Paint 3D – the new app for creativity, also available for free with the Windows 10 Creators Update, will continue to get new feature updates. In addition to the new 3D capabilities, many of the MS Paint features people know and love like photo editing, line and curve tools, and 2D creation are in Paint 3D.

So, thanks for all the MS Paint love, keep the feedback coming via the Paint 3D app, and keep creating!
newcomer

Post by newcomer »

Kraken wrote:
newcomer wrote:Yeah heard the news, pretty sad in deed been using paint for the longest time especially in print screen.
I would you say that I'm a bot? :think:
Writer at Bushwacker by day, and a couch potato by night....
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

newcomer wrote:
Kraken wrote:
This is a Turing test, isn't it?
Daehawk

Re: Long Live Microsoft Paint!

Post by Daehawk »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote:
newcomer wrote:
Kraken wrote:
This is a Turing test, isn't it?
Perhaps an ad for the Blade Runner 2049?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Didn't Microsoft learn anything? Listening to angry idiots is why we have Trump now.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jeff V wrote:Listening to angry idiots is why we have Trump now.
Because Democrats are enlightened and civil in their discourse? :roll:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Listening to angry idiots is why we have Trump now.
Because Democrats are enlightened and civil in their discourse? :roll:
Wait, what? The angry idiots did not vote for a democrat, their discourse has been irrelevant. They voted for the shit show we have there. And now they voted to keep a piece of junkware that could easily be replaced by something much better.

Idiots - this is why we can't have nice things.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Knock off the R&P brushwaiving.