NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Pyperkub »

Mora never recovered from the coordinator losses. Started strong but the failure to adequately replace DC Snow killed him. He promoted Ulbrich,who wasn't ready to be a DC, and when he had to fire him, UCLA's brief run as linebacker u ended and the defense never got back to where it needed to be. Them after letting Mazzone go (which was the right choice), he made another disastrous choice to promote from within and wasted Rosen's sophomore year. The Fisch hire has been excellent, but Bradley has not.

Good luck coach Mora,and thanks for always representing UCLA with class and dignity.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If Kelly is the target, Guerrero better have him locked up already. If this drags on, Guerrero will either screw it up or get fired too.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rumors earlier this week was that Kelly was heading to Florida. Maybe one reason UCLA fires Mora now was to get an offer in before Kelly makes something official.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Rumors earlier this week was that Kelly was heading to Florida. Maybe one reason UCLA fires Mora now was to get an offer in before Kelly makes something official.
Rumor has it, Kelly's agent is in/on the way to LA to discuss it. Of course, Florida rumors have Kelly in Florida.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:10 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Rumors earlier this week was that Kelly was heading to Florida. Maybe one reason UCLA fires Mora now was to get an offer in before Kelly makes something official.
Rumor has it, Kelly's agent is in/on the way to LA to discuss it. Of course, Florida rumors have Kelly in Florida.
Kelly out of the running at Florida. Ugh...I really didn't want to face a Chip Kelly team every year in the P12 South.

Oh, and let's all take a second and LOL at Miami. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So now if Wisconsin wins out they are in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just read that Florida was talking with Scott because they didn’t think Kelly would choose UF over UCLA (decision coming Tuesday), but UF is still holding out hope for Kelly. Seems unlikely though.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kelly is in at UCLA. Congrats to Pyper, goddammitsomuch for the rest of us.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

That is probably the least surprising news of the season. When the UCLA job opened up, it seemed like a foregone conclusion. Kelly already has complete familiarity with the LA recruiting connections and the entire PAC. Hopefully he can bring relevancy back to the program, because that will be good not only for UCLA but for all of the PAC.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The surprising thing is that UCLA is committing to go for it. In the past, our AD would have assembled a committee and search firm, waited too long, and ended up with a 3rd/4th choice who would have been hamstrung by missing the early signing period and gimping the incoming recruiting class, as well as the assistant coach hiring. It's also surprising that UCLA beat out the SEC for him - finally having world class facilities was probably a huge factor in Kelly's choice over Florida, who is rather behind the SEC curve in facilities.

I actually thought he'd end up at Texas A&M, but I think A&M waited too long to pull the trigger.

I'm expecting Kelly to pull in a top 5 class this year, even with the late start. UCLA timed it perfectly so that the announcement came in time to be on College Gameday and to dominate the coaching portion of the NCAA newscycle this weekend.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Down goes Bama! I'm sure they will still make the final 4, but nice chaos!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Down goes Alabama. It's going to be so much fun to go into work in Monday!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:59 pm Down goes Bama! I'm sure they will still make the final 4, but nice chaos!
If Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Georgia all win next weekend, how does Bama get in?
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Now we're all but guaranteed to have two SEC teams in the playoffs. Bama and whoever wins the SEC title game. Oh joy.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm Now we're all but guaranteed to have two SEC teams in the playoffs. Bama and whoever wins the SEC title game. Oh joy.
How does Bama get in over an unbeaten Wisconsin? Or Oklahoma?
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:03 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:59 pm Down goes Bama! I'm sure they will still make the final 4, but nice chaos!
If Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Georgia all win next weekend, how does Bama get in?
A 1-loss Bama gets in over an undefeated Wisconsin, I think. I'd like to think that a conference title and an undefeated season outweighs strength of schedule difference (and SEC bias), but I'm not sure it will.

Wisconsin should hope Auburn gets seal-clubbed by Georgia, as that would make Bama's loss look worse.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:11 pm
A 1-loss Bama gets in over an undefeated Wisconsin, I think. I'd like to think that a conference title and an undefeated season outweighs strength of schedule difference (and SEC bias), but I'm not sure it will.

Wisconsin should hope Auburn gets seal-clubbed by Georgia, as that would make Bama's loss look worse.
With how the rankings have come out so far this year, I don't see Bama getting in over an undefeated Big Ten champ.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:11 pm

With how the rankings have come out so far this year, I don't see Bama getting in over an undefeated Big Ten champ.
Maybe. Clemson and Oklahoma (assuming they both win next week) are #1 and 2. If Georgia wins, they're in at #3. The question will be whether Bama drops in front of or behind Wisconsin (assuming they win) at #4. Or what happens if Auburn wins. Does a 2-loss SEC champ get in?

All of it is further support for an 8-team playoff, so I'm fine with it. :)
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I am guessing that three the top 4 will now be Clemson, Wisconsin and Oklahoma. The 4th team will be interesting. I think that Miami is toast after losing to a 4-7 team, so it could be Bama, Georgia or Auburn. If its not Bama then I think Bama's chances take a major hit. If its either Georgia or Auburn then that will work itself out in the SEC championship game. I believe Wisconsin is a lock if they beat OSU, a top ten team, in the Big Ten Championship. Georgia is already ranked behind Wisconsin and I don't see them passing them unless Wisconsin loses. If Wisconsin, Oklahoma or Clemson loses things get tricky. If two or even three of those teams lose, then things get really wild. No matter how this plays out some deserving teams are going to be left out in the cold.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The College Football Playoff’s Doomsday Scenarios:
Image Scenario 1: Auburn wins the Iron Bowl
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I stated a few weeks back I thought Bama would lose a game because their defense was too banged up, problem tonight was the offense just looked horrible. I could not tell they had a game plan at all. And all the errors. I have not been impressed with Daboll all year as OC and I hope he's not back next year.

I think for Bama to get in it's going to take some upsets. But the way they looked tonight it might be best if they do not.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I predicted 7-5 for Utah going into the season. Given the massive amount of injuries and a brutal schedule, I'm OK with 6-6...especially since a couple of those were close losses against really good teams that could have gone either way (USC, Stanford, Washington).

I'm glad they're going bowling, as this young squad could use all the practices they can get. On to bigger and hopefully better things next year. :horse:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:

I used to think so, but I'm changing my mind. Alabama's schedule isn't looking that great, and they haven't looked good in their last 2 games after the lb injuries. They'll get in over Ohio state and TCU, but not Wisconsin or Oklahoma.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agree that Alabama does not get in after that showing and other schedule factors.

I would love to see Auburn play Clemson, and hopefully take that continuous smirk off of Dabo Swinney's smug mug for a few days. I loathe his face. The similarity to Trump's shit eating grin is too much for me to bear.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:36 am Agree that Alabama does not get in after that showing and other schedule factors.

I would love to see Auburn play Clemson, and hopefully take that continuous smirk off of Dabo Swinney's smug mug for a few days. I loathe his face. The similarity to Trump's shit eating grin is too much for me to bear.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:36 am Agree that Alabama does not get in after that showing and other schedule factors.

I don't think Auburn beats Clemson in a rematch.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Arizona State fires Todd Graham this morning. Didn’t see that coming, as ASU actually overachieved relative to where they were expected to be this year (bottom of the P12 South).

Not that I’m complaining...I can’t stand that guy.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

Their only loss is versus probably the country's hottest team right now, a rival, on the road in one of college football's toughest environments to play. The committee does take injuries into consideration, and so they should consider that Alabama's injured players will be back to close to 100% by the time the playoff games start. Still one of the best 4 teams in the country in my opinion, biased as that may be.

There are other top 7 teams that have ugly losses against unranked terrible opponents. Not fluke trick-play losses -- BAD losses with wide point spreads. How on earth do you even consider putting an Ohio State team with such a terrible blowout loss to an unranked opponent in over Alabama?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

As much as I hate to side with Alabama, they are certainly one I'd the best four teams in the country and their only loss was against a great team.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 pm I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

Their only loss is versus probably the country's hottest team right now, a rival, on the road in one of college football's toughest environments to play. The committee does take injuries into consideration, and so they should consider that Alabama's injured players will be back to close to 100% by the time the playoff games start. Still one of the best 4 teams in the country in my opinion, biased as that may be.

There are other top 7 teams that have ugly losses against unranked terrible opponents. Not fluke trick-play losses -- BAD losses with wide point spreads. How on earth do you even consider putting an Ohio State team with such a terrible blowout loss to an unranked opponent in over Alabama?
So let’s say Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Georgia all win. Who does Bama replace?

I agree that Bama should probably be in over OSU should they win, but I hate the idea of rewarding a team (having to play one less game) because of when they lost.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msduncan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 pm I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

Who here is advocating for Ohio State to make the playoffs?

As others here have said, if Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin all win on Saturday, they all deserve to be in the playoff over Alabama. And Alabama won't get in over the winner of Auburn/Georgia, either.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A few interesting coaching rumors flying around today. Looks like Sumlin is headed to ASU, and Dan Mullin is going to Florida. Which seems to indicate Scott Frost to Nebraska, by default.

Those would be good moves for all three teams, I think.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Greg Schiano to Tennessee.

Great move for them too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 pm

So let’s say Clemson, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and Georgia all win. Who does Bama replace?

I agree that Bama should probably be in over OSU should they win, but I hate the idea of rewarding a team (having to play one less game) because of when they lost.
I take it MSDuncan meant Bama would be the first one in IF one of those teams slipped up. OSU over Wisconsin is a possibility. I think Bama slips in if that happens.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm

I take it MSDuncan meant Bama would be the first one in IF one of those teams slipped up. OSU over Wisconsin is a possibility. I think Bama slips in if that happens.
No, MSD thinks Bama belongs, regardless of how Saturday plays out. But for some reason, his ire is directed at undeserving Ohio State and not deserving Oklahoma or Wisconsin.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

I don't, but Alabama needs help next weekend to get in. Specifically, they need Ohio state to win. 1 loss TCU avenging their loss to Oklahoma could easily jump them, as could 1 loss Miami with a win over Clemson, as they would both be conference Champs with better wins than Alabama.

Ohio State, as much as ESPN wants to push them, ain't getting in.

Think of it this way, what's Alabama's signature win? LSU or Mississippi St. Both good teams, but not anywhere near Oklahoma/Clemson/Auburn on a neutral field (the last, in case Georgia wins the SEC championship). And if Wisconsin wins, unbeaten plus a win over tOSU for a conference championship probably does the trick.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Oh I'm not saying we replace anyone if everyone wins. I'm saying if things happen next weekend they should be in.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 pm Greg Schiano to Tennessee.

Great move for them too.

Or not.

Wow. :shock:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Good luck getting a big name to come there now, Volunteers fans.
Hodor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

holy smokes

gf.me/u/zhnmhs