NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by msduncan »

I've seen a lot of great victories in the decades that I've been an Alabama fan, but that one last night might have been the greatest of them all. I really don't have many more words than that. Roll Tide.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Congrats to Alabama. Quite the dynasty. Entertaining game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fantastic game. Kicking myself for stopping watching it at end of half.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Georgia with the points!

Vegas is happy this morning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am Fantastic game. Kicking myself for stopping watching it at end of half.
That's pretty much when I started watching it. Turned out to be a great game, even if I really didn't care who one. Loved how classy Jalen Hurts was to stay involved and keep rooting even after he had been pulled.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am Fantastic game. Kicking myself for stopping watching it at end of half.
Loved how classy Jalen Hurts was to stay involved and keep rooting even after he had been pulled.
Yeah, that stood out to me as well, just from watching the highlights of the second half.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the Bama placekicker got the reprieve of a lifetime.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am Loved how classy Jalen Hurts was to stay involved and keep rooting even after he had been pulled.
Yeah, that stood out to me as well, just from watching the highlights of the second half.
Well he still wanted his Championship bonus.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am And the Bama placekicker got the reprieve of a lifetime.
baffles me how Bama always has kicker issues. #1 prospect was signed last year and yet he never saw the field which makes me thinks he is stinking it up in practice.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

College kickers are weird. Plus, the rankings of high school kickers are pretty random. It's not nearly as well established and documented as it is for other high school players.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

College kicking completely baffles me. Utah has it figured out somehow. Their kicking game seems to almost always be spectacular but it seems to not really relate to high school rankings at all.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Georgia with the points!

Plus I get to lord it over Jaymann!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It was a good game but Georgia should have won. Interesting listening to the "experts" this morning and how they saw the game. I heard Lane Kiffen on ESPN call that last play a "bad call with bad defense".
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, yeah. But to be fair I was picking Bama when others said they would not make the final four.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, yeah. But to be fair I was picking Bama when others said they would not make the final four.
Not me ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

What a fascinating game that was! Georgia was clearly the better team until Tua stepped on the field.

Most college football teams, at least in recent decades, win the National Title because they are a great team that is led by an Elite quarterback with a hot hand. A Cam Newton, DeShaun Watson, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart, or Jameis Winston. But Alabama has traditionally won its titles with no-name QB's. The last time Alabama graduated a QB who became a regular starter in the NFL was Richard Todd back in the early 1970's (Though the first three Super Bowls, and four of the first eleven, were won by Alabama QB's).

For Alabama to have gotten its hands on such a promising QB when they are already winning National Titles is just obscene. Watching Tua throw that game winning pass made me think of how people must have felt when they heard about the Soviet Union testing its first nuclear weapon. :shock:

Anyway it was a very entertaining, but very frustrating, year from the perspective of this Auburn fan (It doesn't help that I'm also a huge Atlanta Falcons fan :mrgreen: ). I hope that next year is just as interesting.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It's 34 bowl victories.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm This is fantastic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOQXg_c960/
Saw that earlier. SEC Shorts has a lot of funny clips. Those guys are good.
MY favorite is still the one they did after the Bama-USC game and the Kentucky hires Archaeologist. Oh and the Arkansas road trip is a classic.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It is a shame we never got the Saban-Carroll matchup while PC was still @ USC however. Would have loved to see one of those. Harbaugh with Luck against PC (What's your deal?) was awesome, however.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It seems strange that Harbough was able to put better teams together at Stanford than at Michigan. Or has it all come down to the lack of a QB at Michigan?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There's a variety of theories on the matter, but before we get into that, let's look at Harbaugh's records with Stanford:

2007 - 4-8
2008 - 5-7
2009 - 8-5
2010 - 11-1

Records at Michigan:

2015 - 10-3
2016 - 10-3
2017 - 8-5

Also, in 2016, Michigan was two inches away from going to the Big Ten title game. Assuming a repeat of the earlier game against Wisconsin (admittedly, a big assumption), that would have been Michigan in the playoff.

So, why hasn't Harbaugh had more success at Michigan so far? First of all, they're playing in what is currently the toughest division in college football. Second, the previous administration left the offensive cupboard bare, particularly on the offensive line (combination of poor recruiting and some busts). Linemen probably take the longest time to develop. Third, he didn't have any strong QBs when he came to Michigan. He did a great job developing grad transfer Jack Ruddock in 2015, and Speight looked really good for most of 2016 (until he got injured). His other transfer (O'Korn) was a bust last year, and Peters was still very young. Keep in mind that his receivers and tight ends were largely inexperienced, too. For receivers who are used to just outrunning and outjumping the competition in high school, it can take time to learn to run routes properly.

The next two years should be very interesting. The offensive line is much improved, but still needs work in pass protection. There will be a glut of Harbaugh-recruited QBs plus Shea Patterson transferring (hoping he's immediately eligible). Last year's WR class great, so hopefully they'll be improved with a year of experience. The defense should be lights out again. Unfortunately, the schedule has Michigan at MSU and OSU next year (thanks, Dave Brandon), plus we open up at Notre Dame, so that will up the degree of difficulty again.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Unfortunately, the schedule has Michigan at MSU and OSU next year (thanks, Dave Brandon), plus we open up at Notre Dame, so that will up the degree of difficulty again.
When I saw that schedule posted, I thought ouch! Harbaugh's got his work cut out. Still the flip side of that is, if you can survive that schedule, you can position yourself very well for the NC playoff series. I'm sure Jim will sell next season as a great opportunity.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It was nice of the Big10 to arrange a CG appearance for Wisconsin every year when they set up the divisions.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm It was nice of the Big10 to arrange a CG appearance for Wisconsin every year when they set up the divisions.
2 things

1. The geographic split is SO much better than the Leaders & Legends BS.
2. Nebraska was supposed to be better than they have been. If Scott Frost can't do it however, then they are doomed to become Iowa - very good every once in awhile, but lacking the recruiting base to maintain a Conference Championship contender.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm It seems strange that Harbough was able to put better teams together at Stanford than at Michigan. Or has it all come down to the lack of a QB at Michigan?
They had some of the worst QB performances I have ever seen out of that school. I don't know who is to blame but having absolutely zero backup plan is what did them in this year. Chalk it up to the o-line or lack of a rush option, whatever. You could pencil O'Korn in for 3 turnovers a game, and that if he only played one half.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm
Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 pm It seems strange that Harbough was able to put better teams together at Stanford than at Michigan. Or has it all come down to the lack of a QB at Michigan?
They had some of the worst QB performances I have ever seen out of that school. I don't know who is to blame but having absolutely zero backup plan is what did them in this year. Chalk it up to the o-line or lack of a rush option, whatever. You could pencil O'Korn in for 3 turnovers a game, and that if he only played one half.
Also the loss of QB/WR Coach/Passing game coordinator Jedd Fisch to UCLA. He did some really good work with our offense this year as the OC. He'll be an OC again somewhere soon, and probably a Head Coach (if Kelly even lets him go, which I don't think he's done yet, as Kelly hasn't hired an OC yet).

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Alabama losing:

Bo Scarbrough (RB)
Ronnie Harrison (safety)
Minka Fitzpatrick (who is going to make someone's NFL team very very happy)
Da'Ron Payne
Calvin Ridley

Decided to come back:

Damien Harris (surprised me. our leading rusher this year)
Isaiah Buggs

We will have a real QB controversy now. Saban is usually loyal to his QBs, but I just don't know how you can keep a future superstar on the bench. Barring injury, Tua will be the first Alabama QB to be a starter on the next level at QB in half a century.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Michigan's WRs were not deep this year and losing their best one (a true freshmen at that) so early really killed the passing game. And O'Korn's arm. That didn't help the passing game any either.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Remus West wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am Michigan's WRs were not deep this year and losing their best one (a true freshmen at that) so early really killed the passing game. And O'Korn's arm. That didn't help the passing game any either.
I think it was his head more than his arm. Poor decision making.

The WRs on the roster have a chance to be terrific, especially Black (the one who was injured) and Peoples-Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop (and hoping that the O-line can protect the QB long enough for him to get a pass off to them).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am
Remus West wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am Michigan's WRs were not deep this year and losing their best one (a true freshmen at that) so early really killed the passing game. And O'Korn's arm. That didn't help the passing game any either.
I think it was his head more than his arm. Poor decision making.

The WRs on the roster have a chance to be terrific, especially Black (the one who was injured) and Peoples-Jones. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop (and hoping that the O-line can protect the QB long enough for him to get a pass off to them).
Yeah. I was kidding about O'Korn's arm. I like the future outlook but the division does look pretty grim with OSU and MSU both being very good and also young.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Re: Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:Alabama losing:

Bo Scarbrough (RB)
Ronnie Harrison (safety)
Minka Fitzpatrick (who is going to make someone's NFL team very very happy)
Da'Ron Payne
Calvin Ridley

Decided to come back:

Damien Harris (surprised me. our leading rusher this year)
Isaiah Buggs

We will have a real QB controversy now. Saban is usually loyal to his QBs, but I just don't know how you can keep a future superstar on the bench. Barring injury, Tua will be the first Alabama QB to be a starter on the next level at QB in half a century.
McCarron was almost traded for a 1&2, but yeah, Tua looks amazing. Does need to wear a mouth guard tho.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So after 1/2 a game Tua is being penciled in as an NFL starter in 2-3 years? Really?

I guess I can list Mayfield as a future Hall of Famer then.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm So after 1/2 a game Tua is being penciled in as an NFL starter in 2-3 years? Really?
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either. Yes, the kid came in and had an amazing showing in the title game. But how much of that success is due to catching Georgia by surprise because they didn't really prepare for him?

Will he be able to do the same things when defensive coordinators have the chance to analyze multiple weeks of game film from him? Maybe...but maybe not.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think the only real question is whether Tua will be better in the NFL than Tom Brady. Based on his one half of play against good competition, the answer is obviously yes.

P.S. Tom Brady threw for 369 yards in his final college game - against Alabama.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm So after 1/2 a game Tua is being penciled in as an NFL starter in 2-3 years? Really?

I guess I can list Mayfield as a future Hall of Famer then.
It wasn't just the National Championship game, though that one certainly had all the pressure and all the importance heaped upon his shoulders.

He had a whole season of highlights during the 2nd half of a bunch of games (mop up duty):

Tua Freshman Highlights

Edit:

Even if you don't watch all those highlights above (understandable), I highly recommend watching this play:

incredible scramble/throw
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

And a lot of the buzz is coming from analysts, recruiting orgs, and mentors that have said they've seen him since high school and he's worthy of the hype. Marcus Marriota, Terrell Owens, the Mannings, etc.

Does that equal an automatic? No. But he's got more pro football potential from a natural talent standpoint than any QB that has come through the program in ages.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm So after 1/2 a game Tua is being penciled in as an NFL starter in 2-3 years? Really?...
You have to understand that, compared to Jalen Hurts, Tua looks like the second coming of Johnny Unitas. :P That's why so many Alabama fans are so excited: No one can remember the last time an Alabama QB had that good of a half, in any sort of game! :mrgreen:
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Apollo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm So after 1/2 a game Tua is being penciled in as an NFL starter in 2-3 years? Really?...
You have to understand that, compared to Jalen Hurts, Tua looks like the second coming of Johnny Unitas. :P That's why so many Alabama fans are so excited: No one can remember the last time an Alabama QB had that good of a half, in any sort of game! :mrgreen:
I know this was sorta meant as a joke, but it's true. :p
It's 34 bowl victories.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The NFL is full of starting QB's who had good halves and played well during mop up time. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

UCF National Champs!

Its official.
UCF was officially listed among college football national champions in the 2018 NCAA record book released this week.