NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Skinypupy »

Today was the opening day of training camp and my season tickets arrived today, so I figure it's as good a time as any to get things rolling for this year. :horse:

I honestly have no idea what to expect from Utah this season. Between draftees and undrafted free agent pickups, Utah sent 16 players to the NFL last year (second only to Michigan), so there was a ton of talent leaving the program. That said, there's still a very solid core of young players that - if they gel - could do something pretty special. We were picked to finish 2nd in the P12 South media poll, behind USC. While I appreciate the optimism, I think that speaks more to Whittingham's reputation as a coach than anything else.

There has been a bit of excitement the last few days, as former Oregon WR Darren Carrington (he of the multiple suspensions, including the title game) just enrolled at Utah as a grad transfer after getting booted from the Ducks. I'll reserve any enthusiasm until he actually suits up, but Whit has a pretty good reputation of keeping knuckleheads on the straight and narrow. If he can keep his head on straight, he could be a HUGE weapon for us this year.

Overall, I'm anticipating a dropoff from last year, but that we still end up in a bowl game with 7 or 8 wins.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Scuzz »

Well, this will be my one Fresno State post of the year (probably). We have a new coach but the same old QB. We play two of our three first games on the road, against Alabama and Washington. It could be a long year.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Gonna be interesting to see if 'SC is ranked above the Huskies.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Gonna be interesting to see if 'SC is ranked above the Huskies.
They finished the year last year ahead of them and beat them last year, so I expect they will be.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

UCF kicker has been ruled ineligible for taking money for YouTube videos
UCF’s statement on the kicker released Monday read:

“The waiver, which was granted, stated De La Haye could maintain his eligibility and continue to monetize videos that did not reference his status as a student-athlete or depict his football skill or ability. The waiver also allowed him to create videos that referenced his status as a student-athlete or depict his football skill or ability if they were posted to a non-monetized account. De La Haye chose not to accept the conditions of the waiver and has therefore been ruled ineligible to compete in NCAA-sanctioned competition. UCF Athletics wishes him the best in his future endeavors.”
Seems like an awfully slippery slope.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

These guys are slave to a system that literally makes billions off them. I think it would be awesome if the student athletes showed a united front and refused to play football until the system is fixed. Imagine how fast the NCAA would jump to fix things if they started losing their nationally televised cash cow. The players really have far more power that they know but it would take a strong united front and that would be very difficult to pull off.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rshetts2 wrote:These guys are slave to a system that literally makes billions of them. I think it would be awesome if the student athletes showed a united front and refused to play football until the system is fixed. Imagine how fast the NCAA would jump to fix things if they started losing their nationally televised cash cow. The players really have far more power that they know but it would take a strong united front and that would be very difficult to pull off.
They aren't slaves. They are free to go make a living, and not accept the scholarships and restrictions. They could wait and play Canadian football or NFL football, or Arena League football age starts at 18.

Go play there if they want. Nobody is forcing them to go to college and play football.

If you read the article, the rule, and his refusal to abide by it are pretty clear:
NCAA bylaw 12.4.4 addresses athlete self-employment.

The rule states an athlete “may establish his or her own business, provided the student-athlete’s name, photograph, appearance or athletics reputation are not used to promote the business.”

Most of De La Haye’s 59 videos document his daily life as a UCF athlete. The kicker’s channel has jumped from 63,275 subscribers in June to 89,954 shortly after UCF announced he was ineligible Monday.
He's trying to make money off of being a student-athlete, not anything else. Without the athletics relationship, he wouldn't have the content that he is trying to monetize.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Why shouldn't he be able to monetize his name and the fact that he's a student-athlete? The universities make millions off of the names of these students, why can't the students cash in, too? Just because the rule is clear doesn't mean that it's fair or makes sense.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:Why shouldn't he be able to monetize his name and the fact that he's a student-athlete? The universities make millions off of the names of these students, why can't the students cash in, too? Just because the rule is clear doesn't mean that it's fair or makes sense.
+1

The NCAA needs an enema when it comes to their Cash Cow ways, or at least that's my opinion, no matter the way it's spelled out on the books.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

They aren't slaves. They are free to go make a living, and not accept the scholarships and restrictions. They could wait and play Canadian football or NFL football, or Arena League football age starts at 18.

Go play there if they want. Nobody is forcing them to go to college and play football.
Yeah you got me, the term slave was hyperbole. I really didn't mean to imply that the NCAA had these boys working the cotton fields. But since the path to NFL football goes through the NCAA, I think the comparison is apt. If those other options were actually a valid path to the NFL, without first trying to go through the NCAA, you may have a point. The percentage of NFL players who did not attend college is almost non-existent.
Its that way because the NCAA makes the rules and profits incredibly from it. The NCAA has totally rigged the game so, your opinion is as much hyperbole as my slavery remark. Hell, maybe more.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy wrote:Why shouldn't he be able to monetize his name and the fact that he's a student-athlete? The universities make millions off of the names of these students, why can't the students cash in, too? Just because the rule is clear doesn't mean that it's fair or makes sense.
Problem is this would make it possible for boosters to basically pay for kids to come to their school. Do we really want that? The first thing that should happen is for the Power 5 conferences to break away from the NCAA, because they are in a totally different revenue world than everybody else.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

DOS=HIGH wrote:
Problem is this would make it possible for boosters to basically pay for kids to come to their school. Do we really want that? The first thing that should happen is for the Power 5 conferences to break away from the NCAA, because they are in a totally different revenue world than everybody else.
That's just not true. If you allow players to accept endorsements or sign at autograph shows or make money off of a YouTube presence, you can still have rules against boosters and bagmen paying for recruits (and they'll be just as poorly enforced as they are now ;) ).

I've got no issues with P5 schools breaking off (they've already started the process). I don't know how they'll deal with basketball (or regionally popular money-making sports like hockey or baseball), but I'm sure they can figure something out. If I were a fan of a non P5 school, I don't know how I'd feel about that.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy wrote:
DOS=HIGH wrote:
That's just not true. If you allow players to accept endorsements or sign at autograph shows or make money off of a YouTube presence, you can still have rules against boosters and bagmen paying for recruits (and they'll be just as poorly enforced as they are now ;) ).
It would be exploited way more than the current shenanigans and a major headache only Power 5 schools would be willing to put up with.
I've got no issues with P5 schools breaking off (they've already started the process). I don't know how they'll deal with basketball (or regionally popular money-making sports like hockey or baseball), but I'm sure they can figure something out. If I were a fan of a non P5 school, I don't know how I'd feel about that.
If/when this happens, the other conferences should move their football to the spring. It would generate more money and attention than they currently receive. The NCAA Basketball Tournament wouldn't be the same though, particularly for small schools.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rshetts2 wrote:

Yeah you got me, the term slave was hyperbole. I really didn't mean to imply that the NCAA had these boys working the cotton fields. But since the path to NFL football goes through the NCAA, I think the comparison is apt. If those other options were actually a valid path to the NFL, without first trying to go through the NCAA, you may have a point. The percentage of NFL players who did not attend college is almost non-existent.
Its that way because the NCAA makes the rules and profits incredibly from it. The NCAA has totally rigged the game so, your opinion is as much hyperbole as my slavery remark. Hell, maybe more.
Even if the NFL is too stingy for a developmental league and they can play arena ball as soon as they are 18..

I'm a college football fan who would rather go the Ivy League route than pay players.

I'd still care, and so do Ivy league fans.

Remember that a lot of these rules were in place before the huge TV contracts, because people were trying to cheat then too.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm all for giving student athletes a stipend and letting them monetize themselves like every other person in the US.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

DOS=HIGH wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:That's just not true. If you allow players to accept endorsements or sign at autograph shows or make money off of a YouTube presence, you can still have rules against boosters and bagmen paying for recruits (and they'll be just as poorly enforced as they are now ;) ).
It would be exploited way more than the current shenanigans and a major headache only Power 5 schools would be willing to put up with.
I don't see it. If anything, there would be less pressure to cheat and have payoffs to players if they were allowed to make money off of their images.
Pyperkub wrote:Even if the NFL is too stingy for a developmental league and they can play arena ball as soon as they are 18..
Not every kid who plays college ball would have the opportunity to go to the arena league. There aren't enough teams, and some players wouldn't be good enough.
Pyperkub wrote:I'm a college football fan who would rather go the Ivy League route than pay players.

I'd still care, and so do Ivy league fans.
I really don't understand this attitude, but it's not material to this discussion. We haven't been talking about paying players - we've been talking about letting them profit off of their images in the same way that universities profit off of the images of their players. While it does make sense to pay the players given the vast sums of money that NCAA teams make off of the players, can't we at least let them make a few bucks off of a YouTube channel?
Pyperkub wrote:Remember that a lot of these rules were in place before the huge TV contracts, because people were trying to cheat then too.
The rules were ineffective then, they're ineffective now, and they'll continue to be ineffective if players are allowed to profit off of their images.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Of course, everyone around here in totally pumped for the season. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Gamecocks. If we can keep Bentley upright, I think we have a shot at most of the games on our schedule.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:Of course, everyone around here in totally pumped for the season. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Gamecocks. If we can keep Bentley upright, I think we have a shot at most of the games on our schedule.
I really have no idea what to expect this year, except that my expectations are generally low. We are still in the early stages of Muschamp's plan, whatever that may be. And with young/new players at that (minus the white bearded dude who transferred from baseball minors - can't wait to see what he can do this year)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Big question for Bama is whether QB Jalen Hurts can improve this year, He regressed toward the end of the season last year.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

So, how about Ohio State?

Not a super good fan of them, but I live in Ohio, so I think we are obligated to hate Michigan and at least root in passing for Ohio State.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I can imagine that if monetizing your college athletic career was a thing then schools in larger cities with big media would probably have a definite advantage over schools in urban settings with smaller populations. It would also inevitably lead to schools helping the students promote themselves.

On the other hand, I do think many of the rules need to be relaxed and students should have more leeway in what they can and can't do. Let's face it, very few of them will ever earn a living from their sport of choice.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote:I'm all for giving student athletes a stipend and letting them monetize themselves like every other person in the US.
Even schools like Fresno State now pay their student athletes stipends. That is common now, although the amount varies. I think at Fresno State (this is based on a flawed memory mind you) that student athletes get an extra $2,000 or more per semester for "extras".
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote:
I can imagine that if monetizing your college athletic career was a thing then schools in larger cities with big media would probably have a definite advantage over schools in urban settings with smaller populations. It would also inevitably lead to schools helping the students promote themselves.

On the other hand, I do think many of the rules need to be relaxed and students should have more leeway in what they can and can't do. Let's face it, very few of them will ever earn a living from their sport of choice.
Schools in the Southeast and California have advantages in recruiting bases. Major football factories have recruiting advantages due to name recognition and facilities. College athletics has never been about presenting a level playing field for all competitors. Toledo does not have the same shot at recruits as Michigan does. Hell, Purdue does not have the same shot at recruits as Michigan does. While this does have the potential to be an advantage for someone going to a major market vs. a smaller rural one (although I really doubt that there would be a lot more opportunity for students at Northwestern vs. students at Nebraska, for example), I don't think it's anything that should prevent something so basic as a person having the right to their own image.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well, much of the NCAA's argument against is that each student athlete should have equal opportunity at whatever the money making venture is. That wouldn't exist at all schools.

You are talking about the advantages that certain schools have, I am not addressing that imbalance.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote:Well, much of the NCAA's argument against is that each student athlete should have equal opportunity at whatever the money making venture is. That wouldn't exist at all schools.

You are talking about the advantages that certain schools have, I am not addressing that imbalance.
That may have been what you meant to address, but what you said was:
Scuzz wrote:I can imagine that if monetizing your college athletic career was a thing then schools in larger cities with big media would probably have a definite advantage over schools in urban settings with smaller populations.
That's why I addressed the issue of the advantages that schools might or might not have.

Now, to address what you intended to address, which was that student athletes should have equal opportunities at the money making ventures, that's a bit of a specious argument. First, the NCAA has been pretty clear that they don't want student athletes to have access to any money making opportunities, so for them to suddenly pivot and say that they just want equal opportunities for students doesn't fly. Second, the NCAA doesn't do much to ensure that athletes have equal opportunities in other areas. For example, most student athletes don't get an equal opportunity at a Stanford level education. Plus different schools offer different stipends. If the NCAA is truly throwing out that "equal opportunity" argument, then they're at the point of throwing anything at the wall and praying that something sticks. That's a good sign for student athletes and their advocates.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The NCAA has been pretty tough on allowing boosters to give student athletes jobs though. (Assuming they find out about it).

And that second quote you used is talking about the advantages some schools would have over others recruiting based on the increased ability of the SA to make money at that school.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote:The NCAA has been pretty tough on allowing boosters to give student athletes jobs though. (Assuming they find out about it).
Assuming they found out about it is key, isn't it? ;) That wouldn't change in allowing student athletes to profit off of their own images. The (poorly enforced) rules against boosters giving no-show jobs or just flat out paying students would still be there (and would still be just as poorly enforced). I'm not advocating for a complete Wild West in recruiting (well, I'm not advocating that here, anyway ;) ). I'm just saying that the student athletes should be able to profit off of a YouTube channel (or an autograph show, etc.).
Scuzz wrote:And that second quote you used is talking about the advantages some schools would have over others recruiting based on the increased ability of the SA to make money at that school.
Exactly. You said that some schools would have recruiting advantages because of this. I said that there are already plenty of recruiting advantages for various schools, and the NCAA doesn't really exist to level the recruiting playing field.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You've brought up some great points ImLawBoy, hopefully the NCAA will change this draconian policy. They've pissed of Marco Rubio, the senator from Florida that's for sure. Be interesting if Congress passed a law overriding the NCAA bullshit.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

the NCAA doesn't really exist to level the recruiting playing field.
I believe that this is not only true but that the NCAA is rather financially vested in keeping certain schools super relevant. If you are ever curious about the underlying motives of the NCAA, follow the money.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

rshetts2 wrote:
the NCAA doesn't really exist to level the recruiting playing field.
I believe that this is not only true but that the NCAA is rather financially vested in keeping certain schools super relevant. If you are ever curious about the underlying motives of the NCAA, follow the money.
I think the NCAA's biggest fear is the Big 5 conferences going off on their own and telling the NCAA they don't need them.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Love him or hate him, UCLA QB Josh Rosen is certainly good for a quote:
There are guys who have no business being in school, but they're here because this is the path to the NFL. There's no other way. Then there's the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.
:pop:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Florida suspends 7, including their top receiver, for the opener vs. Michigan.
Florida has suspended troubled receiver Antonio Callaway and six other players for the team's season opener against Michigan.

Defensive end Keivonnis Davis, defensive lineman Richerd Desir-Jones, linebacker James Houston, linebacker Ventrell Miller, defensive lineman Jordan Smith and offensive tackle Kadeem Telfort also won't play Sept. 2 against the Wolverines in Arlington, Texas.

The players were suspended for misusing school-issued funds, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Sunday because Florida did not release details of the suspensions.

"We have a small group of players that have made some choices that are extremely disappointing," coach Jim McElwain said in a statement. "Action has been taken: They have missed some practice and will miss the Michigan game. We will use this as a learning opportunity and we will have some players step up as we move forward."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hurricane Harvey damage will likely mean the LSU/BYU game this weekend gets moved. Not sure where yet.
The Tigers' season opener against BYU will "almost certainly" be moved out of Houston because of the historic flooding in Texas created by Hurricane Harvey, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said Sunday through a school spokesman.

Officials are weighing several options for a potential relocation of the Tigers-Cougars game, including playing it in LSU's Tiger Stadium or in the Superdome, multiple sources confirmed to The Advocate. A move seems more than likely, something that Alleva confirmed in his statement.

"Almost certainly it will not be played in Houston. He has not been told that officially, but he is almost certain the game will not be able to be played in Houston on Saturday," Bill Franques, an athletic department spokesman, said Sunday night, citing Alleva.

"It most certainly will be moved to another venue. What venue that will be, he wasn’t able to say yet. He knows game officials have been in contact with several different venues and that a decision will be made as soon as possible, naturally as early in the week as possible so that the teams, management officials and everyone, including ESPN, can be prepared for wherever the game may be played."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Indiana hanging with the Buckeyes!

Welcome back NCAA Football!

disarm

Post by disarm »

Pyperkub wrote:Indiana hanging with the Buckeyes!

Talk about a total breakdown in the second half...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

disarm wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Indiana hanging with the Buckeyes!

Talk about a total breakdown in the second half...
Credit to Ohio state, they made the adjustments. IU was still hanging around late in the third though before Ohio state started landing haymakers.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Nice to see that Indiana isn't changing their spots despite changing head coaches. Keep it close into the third, and then it ends in a blowout.

I'm ready for the big unknown to start this weekend. Michigan lost 17 starters to graduation or the NFL, including 10 on defense. The good news is that the starting QB is back, and our D line should still be tremendous (they rotated heavily lasts year, and had great numbers even during non-garbage time (i.e., even when they weren't playing Rutgers or Penn State)). The bad news is the secondary is woefully inexperienced and we're replacing all of our primary receivers and starting running backs. The good news is we open against a Florida team that has 10 players suspended (at last count), including their starting RB and No. 1 WR, and they're starting a freshman QB.

It remains to be seen if this will be a bit of step back due to inexperience, or if Harbaugh's recruiting the last couple of years will pay dividends in the manner of OSU a couple of years ago after they lost so many players to the NFL.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was a little nervous coming into last night's game against North Dakota. Yes, they're an FCS team, but we are replacing 16 players that went to the NFL, breaking in a brand new QB, and a new offensive scheme.

Ended up looking pretty decent. Tyler Huntley (the true sophomore who won the job from senior incumbent Troy Williams) looks to be the real deal, and has some really good chemistry with new addition Darren Carrington (the Oregon grad transfer). O-line needs a little work and the penalties need to be cleaned up (11 for 135), but it was a good, vanilla showing for a first outing.

A much bigger test when we go to BYU next week. Very interested to see how the Cougars fare against LSU on Saturday, after they had such a lackluster opener.

P12 side note: I know you can never take much from a first game, but Arizona State looked reeeeeeealy bad against New Mexico State.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It remains to be seen if this will be a bit of step back due to inexperience, or if Harbaugh's recruiting the last couple of years will pay dividends in the manner of OSU a couple of years ago after they lost so many players to the NFL.
Yep, Michigan could go either way this season. The new guys could click and they could challenge OSU for the title or they could prove that they are simply too inexperienced for prime time and face plant badly. I think the Harbaugh is a good enough coach, that the team won't take a major step backward but I also dont know if they are ready for an OSU level of play right now. Hopefully they gel early and take it to the Buckeyes when they finally cross paths. This will be an interesting season for Michigan. They can establish themselves as back to being an elite "we retool not rebuild" kind of team with a good season.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Strong showing Texas. :lol: