NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Lassr »

Woohoo! Nice to see a semi-healthy Bama D. Although more injuries tonight.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 am Woohoo! Nice to see a semi-healthy Bama D. Although more injuries tonight.
Yeah, I’m sure that extra bye week Bama got for not having to play a conference title game helped. That must be nice. :p
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 am
Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 am Woohoo! Nice to see a semi-healthy Bama D. Although more injuries tonight.
Yeah, I’m sure that extra bye week Bama got for not having to play a conference title game helped. That must be nice. :p
Did help some although I would have liked an SEC title. Didn't help OSU last year.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Were they, or were they not one of the best 4 teams? THAT is what everyone pitched a goddamn fit for with the BCS. You bitched and whined to get a playoff -- to get the best 4 teams. You get the best 4 teams and now you are bitching again. The real agenda was to try to cock block the SEC. That's the real agenda.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

UCF might still be the best team in the country. Guess we'll never know. But this championship should probably have an asterisk since they were left out cold...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 am UCF might still be the best team in the country. Guess we'll never know. But this championship should probably have an asterisk since they were left out cold...
Nah, Bama is the best team and they will roll over Georgia.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 am
Were they, or were they not one of the best 4 teams? THAT is what everyone pitched a goddamn fit for with the BCS. You bitched and whined to get a playoff -- to get the best 4 teams. You get the best 4 teams and now you are bitching again. The real agenda was to try to cock block the SEC. That's the real agenda.
The question isn't whether or not Bama and Georgia are the two best teams. I don't think you'll get much argument on that point.

The question is whether anyone outside of the states of Alabama or Georgia cares.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Jaymann wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 am UCF might still be the best team in the country. Guess we'll never know. But this championship should probably have an asterisk since they were left out cold...
Maybe. But we'll never know with regards to UCF. They didn't lose to Auburn which is more than either team in the championship can say. I have no real problem with the 4 teams picked but I do think UCF deserved a shot.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 am
Jaymann wrote:
Maybe. But we'll never know with regards to UCF. They didn't lose to Auburn which is more than either team in the championship can say. I have no real problem with the 4 teams picked but I do think UCF deserved a shot.
IMHO I think they would have gotten beaten by any of the 4 teams in the payoffs. Auburn plays terrible away from their home stadium against good teams. They have not won a major bowl game under GUS Malzhan since he's been there. Their one bowl win is the Birmingham Bowl. They played with no fire against UCF.

I just don't know who would have been left out to give them a shot and I don't like the idea of 8 teams in the playoffs.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am
I just don't know who would have been left out to give them a shot and I don't like the idea of 8 teams in the playoffs.
Exactly. Who are you leaving out to make room for UCF?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 am
In the existing 4-team playoff, no one. In an 8 team model, UCF would certainly deserve a spot.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote:
The question isn't whether or not Bama and Georgia are the two best teams. I don't think you'll get much argument on that point.

The question is whether anyone outside of the states of Alabama or Georgia cares.
Which state/college team does the whole country care about?

I love you man, but when you get in this mode, I hear all your posts in my surly teenager’s voice.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

McNutt wrote:
I think the playoffs should be expanded to 8. I think the four teams were fine that are left. Alabama... Is the one that could be left out due to not winning the conference but... I think it's probably the best team so... Hard to make room for UCF. But again we'll never know how good they actually are because they never really got a shot.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, I think either Clemson or Alabama would have/will absolutely destroy Georgia.

And once again I felt a bit traitorous pulling for Bama against Clemson. Ugh.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When they do the final rankings can a team leapfrog one of the final four?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:

I love you man, but when you get in this mode, I hear all your posts in my surly teenager’s voice.
I think an all sec final is hard to care about. It doesn't come across as very interesting. I know I won't be watching it. Basically it's the conference championship that should have been if Alabama hadn't dropped the ball against Auburn. I agree that it's not intriguing or interesting. A little more regional variety would be nice. But... That's just the way the playoffs can go. It'll be good but it's just not a sexy matchup outside the region in my opinion.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ok, so I think what you guys want is an inter-conference championship?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:When they do the final rankings can a team leapfrog one of the final four?
Of course. The final rankings are a poll.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 pm
Jaymann wrote:When they do the final rankings can a team leapfrog one of the final four?
Of course. The final rankings are a poll.
It would be hilarious if Bama won the championship but UCF was ranked #1.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm Ok, so I think what you guys want is an inter-conference championship?
Not me. I want the two best teams playing in the championship and not a game based on network ratings.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 am
Skinypupy wrote:

There isn't a team the entire country cares about...never claimed there was.

However - and I'm being strictly autobiographical here - out of the 4 possible outcomes from yesterday, there were three that I would have eagerly watched in a Championship game. We happened to get the one that I personally could not possibly care less about.

Maybe everyone else thinks Bama/Georgia is an exciting matchup and I'm just an outlier. Somehow, I have my doubts that's the case.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I know a lot hoped for Oklahoma vs Bama. That would have been intriguing match up. But again, defense doesn't always win championships in today's game but you got to have some defense. That has not been a priority in the BIG 12 yet.

What i really wish they would do is create another division in college football. Power 5 div and a lower FBS division and have a playoff in each. It will never be fair with the big money programs vs the other programs.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I thought maybe this was Oklahoma's year. Now I have to root for an SEC team to beat Bama.

Bama, a team that didn't even make it into it's own conferences championship game. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:11 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm Ok, so I think what you guys want is an inter-conference championship?
Not me. I want the two best teams playing in the championship and not a game based on network ratings.
Me too, PERSONALLY. But I completely get how for many people, 2 teams from different conferences are preferable, or more 'interesting' if you will. I get it. And I probably do enjoy the post-season games more when two teams are from different conferences, but my interest in seeing the two best TEAMS face off (with an ultimate winner as BEST team) trumps (ugh) that enjoyment.

I guess it also depends on how much someone identifies with their conference, vs a specific team.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:35 pm I thought maybe this was Oklahoma's year. Now I have to root for an SEC team to beat Bama.

Bama, a team that didn't even make it into it's own conferences championship game. :roll:
:roll:

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

As one of the long-time SEC bashers who always felt that they got into the BCS Championship based more upon reputation than earning it on the field, I actually have no problems with this matchup (well, one), and am looking forward to it, as they actually earned it this year.

I want to see if Georgia can win a fistfight in the trenches with Alabama and run the ball/stop the run. I was impressed with Oklahoma's OL in that game. I want to see if Hurts can actually play QB, or if Fromm can get enough time to challenge the Alabama secondary. I want to see Minka Fitzpatrick try to take on Chubb head-on like Ronnie Lott and Ickey Woods.

What I don't like is that this game will be played indoors on astroturf (field turf, whatever). This is a game screaming for real grass, and mud and the elements and John Facenda doing the voice-over.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah I'm not trying to bash it. These teams have earned this no doubt. It just isn't as interesting to me. But no doubt they've earned this game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In other news, RichRod at Arizona just got fired because of sexual harassment allegations. :shock:

Wonder if the 11 players who signed early LOIs with AZ can get out of them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The Arizona Wildcats on Tuesday fired football coach Rich Rodriguez after six seasons in the wake of a sexual harassment allegation the university began investigating in October and a recent notice of a hostile-workplace lawsuit to be filed against the school.

"After conducting a thorough evaluation of our football program and its leadership, both on and off the field, President [Robert] Robbins and I feel it is in the best interest of the University of Arizona and our athletics department to go in a new direction," athletic director Dave Heeke said in a statement.

In a letter to the Arizona community, Heeke and Robbins said Arizona's Office of Institutional Equity retained the law firm of Cohen Dowd Quigley to investigate the allegation, which was made by the former administrative assistant to the 54-year-old Rodriguez. ESPN generally does not identify a person who has reported sexual harassment.

After the investigation began, the former employee hired an attorney and declined multiple requests to participate in the investigation into her allegations and was "unwilling to turn over communications that she alleged provided support for her allegations," the letter stated.

The investigation, which concluded Dec. 28, determined the allegations could not be substantiated, but, according to Heeke and Robbins, "Arizona Athletics did become aware of information, both before and during the investigation, which caused it to be concerned with the direction and climate of the football program.
The university said it would honor the separation terms of Rodriguez's contract, which was set to run through May 31, 2020. Arizona is required to pay 100 percent of what remains on what it refers to as his "university-funded compensation" -- an amount that totals $5.46 million.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am After the investigation began, the former employee hired an attorney and declined multiple requests to participate in the investigation into her allegations and was "unwilling to turn over communications that she alleged provided support for her allegations," the letter stated.
Does that part seem really weird to anyone else?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on whether or not she thought she could get a bigger payout by going the lawsuit route.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am After the investigation began, the former employee hired an attorney and declined multiple requests to participate in the investigation into her allegations and was "unwilling to turn over communications that she alleged provided support for her allegations," the letter stated.
I think it shows that she didn't trust the school and wanted to keep her "ammo" for possible future litigation.

Fresno State went thru a lot of this 15 years ago. Several female coaches sued the school and individuals and won. This was all going on while the school was dealing with some federal Title 9 problems. It also led to pretty much a complete cleaning house in the athletic department and maybe a retirement or two.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:In other news, RichRod at Arizona just got fired because of sexual harassment allegations. :shock:

Wonder if the 11 players who signed early LOIs with AZ can get out of them.
Reading between the lines, it looks more like they wanted to fire him, but waited to investigate the allegations first (to see if they could avoid the buyout? ).

He was definitely on the hot seat all year.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am
I think it shows that she didn't trust the school and wanted to keep her "ammo" for possible future litigation.

Fresno State went thru a lot of this 15 years ago. Several female coaches sued the school and individuals and won. This was all going on while the school was dealing with some federal Title 9 problems. It also led to pretty much a complete cleaning house in the athletic department and maybe a retirement or two.
Her "ammo" isn't one time use only, though. If she goes through with the suit, it'll all come out in discovery anyway. I assume her attorney has a strategy for why she was uncooperative with the investigation, but I'm no litigator, so I don't get it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Why are they still holding a game next week?

That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:52 pm Why are they still holding a game next week?

LOL, that's awesome.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Monday night's winner should play UCF, and the winner of that should play the Cleveland Browns.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:52 pm Why are they still holding a game next week?

LOL, that's awesome.
I have heard the Athletic Director of UCF on ESPN radio talk about how many times in the past there have been co-champions. His argument, they went undefeated and beat the team that beat the two teams in the NCG.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As much as I love what UCF did this year, they do need to quit pretending like an undefeated G5 has never been done before.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm As much as I love what UCF did this year, they do need to quit pretending like an undefeated G5 has never been done before.
And how many of those G5 teams beat an SEC school that had the distinction of beating both teams that are playing in the NC game? I say give them their due and let them have their moment. It not like other schools have not padded their championship resumes.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?