NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:14 pm
PLW wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm I think they would be first in if Alabama or Georgia blew the other out in the SEC CG, but if they play a close well played game I would bet they both make it. ND gets in if they win out as does Clemson.
What about a 1-loss Oklahoma/TCU?
Both Alabama and Georgia have road trips @ Auburn coming up. Auburn gets at least one of them, IMHO, if not both.

Wisconsin may make it, but a 1-loss Clemson/TCU/Oklahoma/UW/ND will pass them.
I forgot to add 1 loss Alabama or Georgia too (though the case for Alabama is shakier).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

And I guess Iowa is now rated.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm And I guess Iowa is now rated.
Iowa should only be ranked when playing @ home ;).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Scuzz wrote:So Fresno State played like crap and still barely beat BYU. That is easily the worst BYU team I have ever seen. What is it....injuries, coaching, recruiting?
Really bad coaching. Everything comes down to that. Sure there are injuries and some areas with a deficit of talent but none of that explains the dumpster fire. And they likely still have more talent across the board than teams that have beaten them (sorry usu and Fresno). Sadly now BYU is stuck with a legend at oc doing a terrible terrible job and no good way to replace him. He actually managed to make Taysom Hill look bad last year (previously was a dark horse Heimann candidate who had managed to grab minor attention in the NFL this pre season) and now has destroyed the confidence of a once Ellie 11 mvp qb who was freshman of the year just a couple of years ago. Detmer is a disaster. No way around it.

They need to just clean house and pay real money to get a real coach (sorry sitake). Or at the very least real coordinators. I've stopped even watching the games this year honestly, which is the first time in a very very long time. They just aren't even fun to watch. They lose in boring fashion even. This is not only the worst team since before Lavelle Edwards (70s) but the least fun team ever to watch as well. It's too bad. Maybe the current coaches can pull it together but I doubt it.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Fresno State played really well against San Diego State several weeks ago but have not played up to that since. It looks right now like they could end up playing Boise for the title, assuming they get back to form.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Speaking of San Diego State, Rashaad Penny is a beast at running back. He passes my eyeball test for translating well into the NFL, and he has played 4 years at SDSU.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seven turnovers? Seven goddamn turnovers??? :evil: Yet, somehow, we were still had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to tie. This team just can't figure out how to get out of it's own damn way.

Looks like the "Rumble in the Rockies" ( :roll: ) between Utah and CU on the last game of the season will decide who goes bowling and who stays home. Ugh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Not necessarily a Miami fan, but it's always fun to watch Notre Dame get squashed.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Baroquen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm Not necessarily a Miami fan, but it's always fun to watch Notre Dame get squashed.
It is obvious now ND does not belong in the final 4.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm Ugh, Bama lost two more LBs for the year last night. that is 4 total so far and the few remaining are dinged up. This most likely will cost them a win along the way. And the new offensive coordinator, Daboll, still not impressing me. Scoring on sheer talent it seems and not well executed plays especially against tougher defenses.
and the injuries almost cost Bama against Miss St. Hope they new guys can figure it out by the Auburn game...although I don't think the injuries will allow Alabama to win the NC this year. Too much to overcome in a short time but you never know.

also it seems ND & Georgia were pretenders. Georgia's big win was against ND and ND was up because their one loss was a 1 pt loss to Georgia...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Lassr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm
Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm Ugh, Bama lost two more LBs for the year last night. that is 4 total so far and the few remaining are dinged up. This most likely will cost them a win along the way. And the new offensive coordinator, Daboll, still not impressing me. Scoring on sheer talent it seems and not well executed plays especially against tougher defenses.
and the injuries almost cost Bama against Miss St. Hope they new guys can figure it out by the Auburn game...although I don't think the injuries will allow Alabama to win the NC this year. Too much to overcome in a short time but you never know.

also it seems ND & Georgia were pretenders. Georgia's big win was against ND and ND was up because their one loss was a 1 pt loss to Georgia...
Depends on timing. If Bama can make it past auburn, a couple of these missing linebackers are expected to be cleared later this month. It will take them some time to get into rhythm with practices, but they would certainly be a potential resource during the post season.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Looks like the Badgers are just hosed, no matter how many games they win. Seems unfair.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Chip Kelly to Florida may be close.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Looks like the Badgers are just hosed, no matter how many games they win. Seems unfair.
They aren't. Beat Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio St and they are in. It's a back loaded schedule.

RMC

Post by RMC »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 am
Lorini wrote:Looks like the Badgers are just hosed, no matter how many games they win. Seems unfair.
They aren't. Beat Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio St and they are in. It's a back loaded schedule.

But those are three games that should be pretty tough, especially if they meet Ohio State in the final game.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RMC wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 am

But those are three games that should be pretty tough, especially if they meet Ohio State in the final game.
Well, yeah. The reason they aren't in the top 4 is because they've played a weaker schedule so far. Beat the tougher teams on your schedule when it counts the most and that's no longer an issue. As of now, UCF has arguably played a tougher schedule and could well have a more valid complaint.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The thing that's annoying is that it's not the Badger's fault that their schedule isn't tough but they get punished anyway. We'll see what happens at the end of the season, hopefully Ohio State won't go on a losing streak and that game "not matter" either.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lorini wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm The thing that's annoying is that it's not the Badger's fault that their schedule isn't tough but they get punished anyway. We'll see what happens at the end of the season, hopefully Ohio State won't go on a losing streak and that game "not matter" either.
It is and it isn't. They set their own non-conference schedule. Now, BYU probably didn't look like such a bad game when it was scheduled, but they put Utah State and Florida Atlantic on their schedule of their own volition. The Big Ten West is weak, which hurts their schedule and is not their fault, but if they win out, they'll be in. The committee is simply not going to leave out an undefeated Big Ten champion, regardless of their weak non-conference schedule.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 pm The thing that's annoying is that it's not the Badger's fault that their schedule isn't tough but they get punished anyway. We'll see what happens at the end of the season, hopefully Ohio State won't go on a losing streak and that game "not matter" either.
An out of conference schedule that features Utah State, FAU and BYU doesn't help. Especially as weak as Wisconsin's division of the Big10 is.

I think if everybody wins out right now Wisconsin gets left out. Maybe that would help lead to a 8 team playoff, which is what I want. Win your conference and you are in.

EDIT: Miami and Clemson play each other still so there will probably be one spot open.
Last edited by Scuzz on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm
An out of conference schedule that features Utah State, FAU and BYU doesn't help. Especially as weak as Wisconsin's division of the Big10 is.

I think if everybody wins out right now Wisconsin gets left out. Maybe that would help lead to a 8 team playoff, which is what I want. Win your conference and you are in.
Yeah, but win your conference and your in, puts a lot of opportunity for 2 and 3 loss teams to get into that final 8, are you okay with that?
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah, but win your conference and your in, puts a lot of opportunity for 2 and 3 loss teams to get into that final 8, are you okay with that?
It would leave three open spots. I think I can guarantee an SEC team gets one of those, leaving two spots for 2 loss teams. If a 3 loss team deserves it, I have no problem with that.

Right now the playoffs would look like this...

Notre Dame vs Alabama
Georgia vs Clemson
Auburn vs Miami
Wisconsin vs Oklahoma
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Who (besides their fans) wants to see Georgia and ND in the playoff? They were blown out - consider them eliminated!

You're missing the PAC 12 champ from your scenario. Maybe you could eliminate one of the three (three!) SEC teams?

How does the SEC merit so many teams in a down year for the league, anyway?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

EDIT: Miami and Clemson play each other still so there will probably be one spot open.
Yup, but if Auburn beats Alabama and then Georgia beats Auburn in the SEC Championship it will be pure, unadulterated chaos.

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Man it's depressing every time I see BYU mentioned as a negative to Wisconsin's schedule. Even if BYU weren't world beaters some years they were at least normally seen as a great out of conference game for strength of schedule, especially coming to Provo. Ugh. What a bad year.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 pm
RMC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

It would leave three open spots. I think I can guarantee an SEC team gets one of those, leaving two spots for 2 loss teams. If a 3 loss team deserves it, I have no problem with that.

Right now the playoffs would look like this...

Notre Dame vs Alabama
Georgia vs Clemson
Auburn vs Miami
Wisconsin vs Oklahoma
And who knows if Ohio State wins out, where does that put Wisconsin, and the Big 10. Most likely left out of the Final 4. But still a lot of Football left to play, and odder things have happened.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm Who (besides their fans) wants to see Georgia and ND in the playoff? They were blown out - consider them eliminated!

You're missing the PAC 12 champ from your scenario. Maybe you could eliminate one of the three (three!) SEC teams?

Oh, the playoff scenario listed is the top 8 off the polls as of Tuesday.

Going with the 5 conference champs you would have to drop Notre Dame for the USC/Washington (?) winner.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 pm Man it's depressing every time I see BYU mentioned as a negative to Wisconsin's schedule. Even if BYU weren't world beaters some years they were at least normally seen as a great out of conference game for strength of schedule, especially coming to Provo. Ugh. What a bad year.
Do you really think BYU did a smart thing by going independent? I guess for now they make more money with the potential for a bigger payday but in the current system they would be better off aligned with, say the Mountain West, and hoping to get that one big spot in a New Years Bowl game and the money that goes with it.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Scuzz wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 pm Man it's depressing every time I see BYU mentioned as a negative to Wisconsin's schedule. Even if BYU weren't world beaters some years they were at least normally seen as a great out of conference game for strength of schedule, especially coming to Provo. Ugh. What a bad year.
Do you really think BYU did a smart thing by going independent? I guess for now they make more money with the potential for a bigger payday but in the current system they would be better off aligned with, say the Mountain West, and hoping to get that one big spot in a New Years Bowl game and the money that goes with it.
Yeah I still think independent was and is the right move. I miss some things about conference play, but to be perfectly honest the mountain West now really is a fairly watered down conference. I would rather be in the mountain West if it had stayed the same and Utah, TCU had not left and Boise had joined. But once Utah was invited to the PAC the writing was on the wall, the conference was taking a step down. It was only a matter of time before someone came calling for TCU and sure enough that happened soon after.

There really isn't anything the mountain West can offer BYU that isn't a step down right now. It would mean a weaker schedule (BYU already plays Boise State every year which is the best the mwc can offer), a smaller pay day, and a worse TV deal. Right now I can watch just about every BYU game on ESPN, even when they are 3-8. The mwc was terrible with TV. The only plus side would be slightly better bowl access. But honestly since BYU went independent they haven't been good enough for that to even matter.

Independence isn't perfect, but I still think it's a lot better than the current mwc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 pm Right now I can watch just about every BYU game on ESPN, even when they are 3-8.
I'd be more than a little concerned about what happens if that downward trend continues.

Let's say the next two seasons are also rough. Then what happens when ESPN (and their steadily-declining revenue) decides to renegotiate the BYU TV contract after the 2019 season? Especially when the $$ already isn't what everyone thought it was.

I'd agree with you that the MWC isn't the answer, but I'm not sure how sustainable Independence is either. BYU's in a tough spot all around.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 pm Right now I can watch just about every BYU game on ESPN, even when they are 3-8.
I'd be more than a little concerned about what happens if that downward trend continues.

Let's say the next two seasons are also rough. Then what happens when ESPN (and their steadily-declining revenue) decides to renegotiate the BYU TV contract after the 2019 season? Especially when the $$ already isn't what everyone thought it was.

I'd agree with you that the MWC isn't the answer, but I'm not sure how sustainable Independence is either. BYU's in a tough spot all around.
No doubt they need to return to their winning ways or they are in more trouble than they would be in a conference.

The money isn't power 5 money, but it isn't mwc money either. Honestly if BYU joined a g5 conference now I think they would lean AAC rather than mwc. The mwc is really just not what it used to be. Or they could consider reforming a new conference with the best of the g5... Again. That's a very long shot but would be ideal for many teams involved.

The next round of realignment will be very interesting to watch, especially if the big 12 finally implodes (let's be honest that conference is still a flaming wreck in terms of leadership). I would hope BYU would stay independent at least until then, and as long as it remains the best option available. Which it currently is.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

You suppose BYU is just baggage that a big conference doesn't want to mess with? And I am not sure why anyone conference would think that but I believe it is true.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Scuzz wrote:You suppose BYU is just baggage that a big conference doesn't want to mess with? And I am not sure why anyone conference would think that but I believe it is true.
BYU certainly brings a lot of baggage, whether that's fair or not. The sports are solid, academics are solid, honestly by any metric they should be in a power 5 conference. But it's been that way for years. I mean in the big 12 BYU would have been the biggest basketball arena, one of the biggest football stadiums, one of the top ranked schools academically, it's really not even close.

The issues stem from several things-
1. No Sunday play. BYU will never play on Sunday no matter what. It's non negotiable despite what people seem to think. How has BYU gotten around this so far? By always being a big fish in a smaller pond. The WCC rearranged their schedule and their tournament to accommodate BYU joining. Would a power five conference do the same? Doubtful.
2. A perception of being difficult to work with. I think this is highly overplayed, but teams in the mountain West constantly stated BYU is hard to with with. They probably are to some degree. But... I think more of it had to do with BYU winning a some 60% of all championships in all sports while in the mwc. And I think it has to do with some schools being more important to a conference than others. In the old mwc it was no secret that it was Utah and BYU that kept the conference relevant and ran the show. Eventually TCU joined as well and was relevant.
3. But the biggest of all- BYU is not only owned, but run by the Mormon church, and everything that entails. It's still largely ok in the United States to be softly prejudiced against Mormons. Not sure why that type of prejudice is ok... But it seems to be accepted by our society. Even celebrated at times. I think that absolutely has played a role in conference expansion moves.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm It's still largely ok in the United States to be softly prejudiced against Mormons. Not sure why that type of prejudice is ok... But it seems to be accepted by our society. Even celebrated at times.
At the risk of moving this to R&P, there's a difference between being prejudiced against Mormons, and choosing not to invite a church-owned school to a conference due to that church's practice of discriminatory behavior.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm
Scuzz wrote:You suppose BYU is just baggage that a big conference doesn't want to mess with? And I am not sure why anyone conference would think that but I believe it is true.
BYU certainly brings a lot of baggage, whether that's fair or not. The sports are solid, academics are solid, honestly by any metric they should be in a power 5 conference. But it's been that way for years. I mean in the big 12 BYU would have been the biggest basketball arena, one of the biggest football stadiums, one of the top ranked schools academically, it's really not even close.

1. No Sunday play. BYU will never play on Sunday no matter what. It's non negotiable despite what people seem to think. How has BYU gotten around this so far? By always being a big fish in a smaller pond. The WCC rearranged their schedule and their tournament to accommodate BYU joining. Would a power five conference do the same? Doubtful.
2. A perception of being difficult to work with. I think this is highly overplayed, but teams in the mountain West constantly stated BYU is hard to with with. They probably are to some degree. But... I think more of it had to do with BYU winning a some 60% of all championships in all sports while in the mwc. And I think it has to do with some schools being more important to a conference than others. In the old mwc it was no secret that it was Utah and BYU that kept the conference relevant and ran the show. Eventually TCU joined as well and was relevant.
3. But the biggest of all- BYU is not only owned, but run by the Mormon church, and everything that entails. It's still largely ok in the United States to be softly prejudiced against Mormons. Not sure why that type of prejudice is ok... But it seems to be accepted by our society. Even celebrated at times. I think that absolutely has played a role in conference expansion moves.
The make-up of the Big12 would tend to lend itself to a group that might not care for the Mormon Church.

Isn't Baylor a religious school? Yea, google says it is a private Baptist University. And then there is TCU.

I remember hearing the argument that BYU, because of the religion aspect tended to have older and more mature athletes, which many considered a built in advantage.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm It's still largely ok in the United States to be softly prejudiced against Mormons. Not sure why that type of prejudice is ok... But it seems to be accepted by our society. Even celebrated at times.
At the risk of moving this to R&P, there's a difference between being prejudiced against Mormons, and choosing not to invite a church-owned school to a conference due to that church's practice of discriminatory behavior.
Call it what you want to call it. Justify it how you want to justify it. I call it prejudism.

And I was speaking about more than conference affiliation. I'm taking society at large is ok being softly prejudiced against Mormons. Conference affiliation is just one more manifestation.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Scuzz wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm

The make-up of the Big12 would tend to lend itself to a group that might not care for the Mormon Church.

Isn't Baylor a religious school? Yea, google says it is a private Baptist University. And then there is TCU.

I remember hearing the argument that BYU, because of the religion aspect tended to have older and more mature athletes, which many considered a built in advantage.
Hilariously LSU brought up the age difference before destroying BYU this year. The actual average age difference between the teams ended up being six months or so. Big whoop. It's a tired excuse. If it was a real advantage to take two years of from football like most BYU players do everyone would be doing it. They aren't. It's not.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm Who (besides their fans) wants to see Georgia and ND in the playoff? They were blown out - consider them eliminated!

Just imagine the fun if the FBS went a 24 team playoff like the FCS uses!
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Notre Dame and USC are Catholic universities.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Notre Dame and USC are Catholic universities.
USC? Private, yes, but not catholic.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »