NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by McNutt »

Skinypupy wrote:Strong showing Texas. Image
That was ugly. Different coach, same Longhorns.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Holy crap. USC's long snapper is completely blind. No joke.

Maybe not the starter, but he came on for a PAT. It was awesome.
PLW

Post by PLW »

1-0. Now we need to build on it!

Enlarge Image
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Skinypupy wrote:Strong showing Texas. :lol:
Not only the first time Maryland has beaten Texas, it's the first time they scored a point against them.

Not to completely overreact, but Maryland is a football* school!

*no, I know it's not...
Stupid & lazy
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:1-0. Now we need to build on it!

Enlarge Image
I was as shocked as all the other pundits and Vegas who missed that call by a mile. Happily shocked of course.

Defense needs work and conditioning though. Muschamp should be up for that (and he could use some conditioning himself, sheesh! Looks like he's gained 30 lbs in a year)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

UCLA...holy shiat. :shock: TAMU was up 44-10 in the third, and Rosen brought them back behind 491 yards and 4 TD. That's crazy. At one point, ESPN's game percentage predictor had TAMU at 99.9% chance to win.

Shame they don't have a defense though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Left the game at halftime, but did catch the 4th quarter at a pub.

Still in shock. Did that really happen?!?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

A&M summed up their season in one game, they usually start the season strong and then collapse toward the end of the season.

Gonna be hard for Sumlin to survive much longer with performances like that
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote:Left the game at halftime, but did catch the 4th quarter at a pub.

You left the game?! What kind of fan are you?? :D
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

FSU-Bama was a physical game. FSU lost their QB and Bama lost 2 of their LBs for the year. Bama's losses will be easier to overcome though. I hated to see the injury to Francois.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Left the game at halftime, but did catch the 4th quarter at a pub.

You left the game?! What kind of fan are you?? :D
One who had high hopes for this season, only to see all the things we have done wrong for years crop up in the first half.

Gashed by the run - check.
Unable to protect Rosen - check.
Unable to run the ball - check.
Unable to get off the field on 3rd down - check
Dropped balls on 3rd down - check.

And Rosen wasn't playing well at all - airmailing balls, and throwing behind receivers and just not looking good at all. Was thinking about dumping my season tix walking out of the Rose Bowl - especially after stopping at a TV and seeing A&M extending the lead to 41 (and eventually 44) to 10.

Then the comeback happened, but I was still really down - not even feeling like we had won the game, given how poorly we had seemed to play for 3 quarters, and thinking that all the old problems were going to be the same this year.

Flew home yesterday evening and re-watched the entire game.

Once UCLA switched back to their base 4-3 from the 4-2-5 which had been getting gashed, the bleeding stopped in the run defense and the Bruins started getting stops. Starkel being out did help, but not too much, as Mond wasn't playing that poorly despite the stat line. Still, in such a close game, it may have been the difference.

UCLA also fixed their protection schemes and play calls to exploit weaknesses in the A&M defense, as well as give Rosen some quick-hitters on shorter drops, Rosen started playing better.

The running game also got a lot better, with Jamabo getting some chunk yards and looking good in both pass protection and out of the backfield.

And lo and behold, the Bruins team I thought would come out to play this season was the one we saw in the 2nd half. I don't think we'll see that big a screwup half again this year, but running QB's may still give Bradley's defense some issues (thinking down the road to the Arizona schools, Oregon and Utah especially), but it certainly seems like the pieces may be coming together like I thought they would this year.

We still have a very, very tough schedule (road trips to Memphis, Stanford, Washington, Utah and USC), but we look like we have a team which is capable of winning them all (depth is thin on the OL with our top backup out for the season however, it doesn't look like we can afford any injuries there).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I pity that A&M player that let the late interception attempt slip through his hands. He will be waking up in the middle of the night trying to make that catch.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:I pity that A&M player that let the late interception attempt slip through his hands. He will be waking up in the middle of the night trying to make that catch.
Yup, but A&M got a couple of gifts too:

1. UCLA also dropped a pretty good shot at an INT
2. IMHO, Rosen's arm was pretty clearly going forward on the fumble ruling which gave A&M the ball inside the 10
3. Rosen was sacked and fumbled and a UCLA player jumped right on it, but somehow lost it and A&M recovered.

Rosen made some spectacular throws as well as some spectacularly lucky ones.

Also, the blocked FG was a result of something the UCLA coaches saw on tape and conveyed to the block team, which Pickett remembered just before the block.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

McNutt wrote:Holy crap. USC's long snapper is completely blind. No joke.

Yea, as I understood it he came on for only that one play and the other team was aware of the situation. It was a nice touch by both teams.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have long been a UCLA fan and I had to turn that game off in the second quarter. I didn't know UCLA had won until many hours later when some commentator mentioned it.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote:

Yea, as I understood it he came on for only that one play and the other team was aware of the situation. It was a nice touch by both teams.
Apparently the USC coach made a deal with the WMU coach that USC would not attempt to block WMU's first PAT if WMU would do the same when USC brought in that player. He can obviously snap the ball well, but has issues blocking (as you can imagine).

Michigan looked pretty good outside of consecutive INTs returned for touchdowns (first off the hands of the receiver; second on a bad overthrow). It's hard to say how much it means this early, but it's nice to get a thumping in on a Power 5 program (which has won its division the last two years) to start things off. The next game that concerns me is Air Force. It's not that Air Force has the talent to match Michigan, but the service academies run those funky offenses.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A great breakdown of how many fits UCLA gave A&M on defense in the 2nd half:
These route breaks, and Rosen’s timing and quick release, aren’t terribly common at the college level. This execution in the middle is a basis for some of the better NFL offenses, and the Aggies didn’t know what to do about it. So for a few drives, they were just roasted by Wilson or another receiver like Darren Andrews, who were operating in open spaces, thanks in part to Wilson drawing attention ... and in part by the Aggies’ attempts to blitz their way out of this dilemma.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

Apparently the USC coach made a deal with the WMU coach that USC would not attempt to block WMU's first PAT if WMU would do the same when USC brought in that player. He can obviously snap the ball well, but has issues blocking (as you can imagine).
Very cool of both teams to agree to do that.

This is "rivalry week", and I couldn't care less. Partly because I've got much more important things going on (Dad's funeral is the same night as the game), but partly because I really just don't give much of a crap about the Utah/BYU game anymore. If we beat them, meh. If we lose to them, meh. I'd have traded a loss to BYU with a win over Oregon or Colorado last year 10 times out of 10. Not playing for anything but pride/bragging rights has really taken most of my interest out of this game, and I really just wish both teams would move on to scheduling new OOC opponents.

I don't think BYU is as bad as they looked against LSU last week, but I do think Utah has the athleticism edge. My guess is that it'll be yet another close game, and the Cougars could very well pull out a win this year...they're overdue for one. Or we could thump them, who knows. About the only result that would really surprise me is a 10+ point BYU win, but even then...meh.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

This is "rivalry week", and I couldn't care less. Partly because I've got much more important things going on (Dad's funeral is the same night as the game), but partly because I really just don't give much of a crap about the Utah/BYU game anymore. If we beat them, meh. If we lose to them, meh. I'd have traded a loss to BYU with a win over Oregon or Colorado last year 10 times out of 10. Not playing for anything but pride/bragging rights has really taken most of my interest out of this game, and I really just wish both teams would move on to scheduling new OOC opponents.

I don't think BYU is as bad as they looked against LSU last week, but I do think Utah has the athleticism edge. My guess is that it'll be yet another close game, and the Cougars could very well pull out a win this year...they're overdue for one. Or we could thump them, who knows. About the only result that would really surprise me is a 10+ point BYU win, but even then...meh.
Uh, you did beat Oregon last year (as well as BYU) :mrgreen:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

We most certainly did not. Carrington (who is now with Utah) made a ridiculous game-winning TD catch with :02 left on the clock.

You're probably thinking of Oregon St., who we did beat.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Scuzz wrote:

We most certainly did not. Carrington (who is now with Utah) made a ridiculous game-winning TD catch with :02 left on the clock.

You're probably thinking of Oregon St., who we did beat.
Nah, I was remembering the blowout in Eugene 2 years ago, I guess.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We beat BYU. Yay. Probably the most boring game in the history of the Holy War, but an ugly win is still a win.

Huntley (the sophomore QB) is showing flashes that he could be really good, but the penalties absolutely kill us. Glad we have another tune-up game before conference play starts, as we still have lots to work out.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan didn't look great beating Cincinnati, but got the job done eventually. I'm hoping it's a bit of a hangover from the opening week victory and will serve as a wake up call to a young team. Now I just have to worry about that damned Air Force offense next week.

And how about the Eastern Michigan Fighting Emus taking down Rutgers? What a great addition to the Big Ten . . . .
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:Michigan didn't look great beating Cincinnati, but got the job done eventually. I'm hoping it's a bit of a hangover from the opening week victory and will serve as a wake up call to a young team. Now I just have to worry about that damned Air Force offense next week.
Radio has not been kind to your team this morning. They respect the Harbaugh is doing the best with what he has and they are in no position to second guess him but then they are asking why this is the best he has.
And how about the Eastern Michigan Fighting Emus taking down Rutgers? What a great addition to the Big Ten . . . .
Eat me.... Of course, I never had much live for my alma mater. But still... Eat me!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Michigan didn't look great beating Cincinnati, but got the job done eventually. I'm hoping it's a bit of a hangover from the opening week victory and will serve as a wake up call to a young team. Now I just have to worry about that damned Air Force offense next week.
Radio has not been kind to your team this morning. They respect the Harbaugh is doing the best with what he has and they are in no position to second guess him but then they are asking why this is the best he has.
Eat me.... Of course, I never had much live for my alma mater. But still... Eat me!
Hey, I'm complimenting Eastern! You beat what is nominally a Power 5 team. I'm also lamenting that EMU went with Eagles instead of Emus, of course, but that's perfectly fair game.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote:Hey, I'm complimenting Eastern! You beat what is nominally a Power 5 team. I'm also lamenting that EMU went with Eagles instead of Emus, of course, but that's perfectly fair game.
We voted as a student body when they changed the name. EMUs won, I think, and then they took the vote away. Of course if that vote had taken place 2017 instead of 1991, we probably would have voted for SportsteamMcSportsface.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LordMortis wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Hey, I'm complimenting Eastern! You beat what is nominally a Power 5 team. I'm also lamenting that EMU went with Eagles instead of Emus, of course, but that's perfectly fair game.
We voted as a student body when they changed the name. EMUs won, I think, and then they took the vote away. Of course if that vote had taken place 2017 instead of 1991, we probably would have voted for SportsteamMcSportsface.
At UC Santa Cruz the student body voted on Banana Slugs, and that is what they go by.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scuzz wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
At UC Santa Cruz the student body voted on Banana Slugs, and that is what they go by.
That's my alma mater! And they must have taken that vote a hellava long time ago, they were already the Banana Slugs in 1969.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

UCSC
The Banana Slug, a bright yellow, slimy, shell-less mollusk commonly found on the redwood forest floor, was the unofficial mascot for UC Santa Cruz coed teams since the university's early years.
In 1980, when some campus teams wanted more organized yet still low-key participation in extramural competition, UC Santa Cruz joined the NCSS's Division III in five sports. The application required an official team name, and UCSC's chancellor at the time, Robert Sinsheimer, selected a new moniker: the sea lions.

While the chancellor considered sea lions more dignified and suitable to serious play than Banana Slugs, the new name did not find favor with the majority of students, who continued to root for the Slugs even after a sea lion was painted in the middle of the basketball floor.

After five years of dealing with the two-mascot problem, an overwhelming proslug straw vote by students in 1986 persuaded the chancellor to make the lowly but beloved Banana Slug UCSC's official mascot.
And UCSC was founded in 1965.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Once a Huron, always a Huron.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:Once a Huron, always a Huron.
I still want the Eastern Michigan University School For Children Sweatshirt. That thing was beautiful. It's the only Alma Mater swag that ever appealed to me. It was the closest official looking sweatshirt to "EMU School for the Socially Misfit" (Misfit being the polite word for a word that we do not use on OO, even in proper context)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tough trip for the Bruins coming up in a 9am PST kickoff @ Memphis in their first road test. Here's an interesting look at how dominant Rosen and the UCLA (passing) offense has been since the comeback started:
Over the past five-plus quarters when Rosen has been in the game, UCLA has scored on 12 of 14 possessions, the two empty ones coming when time expired and the Bruins weren’t actually trying to score...

...After stopping Hawaii and forcing a punt, UCLA’s first drive started at its own 1-yard line, at which point a false start penalty cost the Bruins 18 inches and made it first and 99 1/2 to go for a touchdown.

Seven plays and barely three minutes later, Rosen dropped a 25-yard pass that was as precise as a digital watch into the hands of Darren Andrews, and the Bruins had a 7-0 lead and no real reason for concern the rest of the day.

“It’s definitely enjoyable to watch him work,” Fisch said. “He’s worked hard at it to be locked in.”

Locked in? Is that what you call it when a quarterback goes 22 of 25 for 329 yards and five touchdowns?

And all this following a fourth quarter in which Rosen burned Texas A&M for 292 yards and four touchdowns?

Locked in, plus some.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wow, what a way to lose a guy. Great job, Texas Tech.
Well, a lot of things played into it. It was over time. When I got hurt [Week 5 at Kansas], there was no communication between me and my coach [Kingsbury]. When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was. So that happened. And then going from a week-to-week basis not knowing whether I was going to play or not and how short the leash would be if I had an average half, how quickly I would be pulled or anything like that. It was making me uncomfortable, and I just didn’t want to be there anymore. I loved Lubbock and I loved my teammates. But going through that and then them tell me they’re still working on a scholarship for next fall, and I wouldn’t have one for this semester coming up. It was all that.
Trotter: So when you told Coach Kingsbury, what was his reaction and what was that conversation like?

Mayfield: I mean, he was shocked, although he was quoted saying he knew one of the quarterbacks was going to transfer. He was shocked to think it was me leaving.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Another fun CFB note from this weekend:
Rodrigo Blankenship hit two field goals, including the 30-yarder that ended up being the winning score, in Georgia’s 20-19 win over Notre Dame on Saturday night.

He may have had a better day on Friday.

After the win, Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart revealed to the team in the locker room that he put Blankenship on scholarship. Well, Smart didn’t tell the team. He had Blankenship do it himself.
Though it sounds like he should have done it last year.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good thing Rosen is a stud, because the UCLA defense can't stop a bloody nose. Memphis just scored to go up 48-45, with 10 minutes left.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Florida...holy shit!!

If you're Tennessee, how on earth do you let a receiver get behind you like that?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bama got the win but defense is really hurting with the 5-6 missing LBs out with injuries. Should get 2 back next week but the two best ones are out for the year. Offense is improving slowly but D is a weak point this year.

Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So much for the 17 point point spread for the USC game, at least they won.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Michigan's defense has been stellar but if they do not find their offence soon, it could be a real tough season in the Big 10 for them. I really don't think Speight is the answer.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?