NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:36 pm The biggest reason for going to 8 in my mind would be the inclusion of schools like UCF or Boise St.

If that were to happen, I'd also want the first round to be at home fields, and make wild card/non conference champion entrants play a true road game. Make wild card entrant Alabama beat UCF @ UCF in other words.

This way, the small college upsets of the ncaa basketball tourney could happen too, and home fans would get intersectional matchups they never get to see, and new rivalries could grow.
I think the main reason to go to 8 teams is to make every conference champ (power 5) an automatic qualifier. Having Alabama play only 4 away games would no longer matter to schools outside the conference. You win against your conference and you are in. But if you take the chance and schedule weak outside your conference and then not win your conference you are probably done for. It would also allow a dominant small school the chance to get in.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pretty cool article on the impact of Urban Mayer at Utah:
Meyer and Utah proved a match made in a bottle of lightning. In two years, Meyer won 22 games and led the Utes to the Fiesta Bowl, forever altering the perception and trajectory of the program.

“When he came out,’’ Hill recalled, “I made it clear that I expected him to do well and, if that happened, he would have other opportunities. I said, ‘We want to keep you long-term, but if you hit the biggest of bigs, I’ll give you a hug and wish you luck.’

“And he hit the biggest of bigs.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Given the recent vote I withdraw all complaints against Alabama being in the playoff without playing a top tier schedule or winning their conference. They may have another national title too, provided Jones is seated before the tax vote.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Cotton Bowl is an intriguing game with USC vs. Ohio State, an old school Rose Bowl match up. Probably both teams one bad loss away from the final four. Who is the real pretender?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So the Jeff Tedford hire ended up being brilliant as Fresno State went from 1-11 to 10-4. And with three of the losses coming to Alabama, Washington and Boise State on the road. This season was way more than anyone expected.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:So the Jeff Tedford hire ended up being brilliant as Fresno State went from 1-11 to 10-4. And with three of the losses coming to Alabama, Washington and Boise State on the road. This season was way more than anyone expected.
And he'll be back for next year!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A mediocre Utah team beats a more mediocre West Virginia team in a yawner of a bowl game. Frustrated with Huntley at QB, as he almost never gives up the ball on the read option. Our RB was averaging 10 YPC, and the QB was still yanking the ball out and keeping it himself. That will need to get fixed, or he's gonna get destroyed next year.

Still, a win's a win, and Coach Whit now moves to 11-1 in bowl games. Dude just doesn't lose when he's got time to prepare. Good to end the season with a win, and look forward to better things next year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 pm A mediocre Utah team beats a more mediocre West Virginia team in a yawner of a bowl game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:A mediocre Utah team beats a more mediocre West Virginia team in a yawner of a bowl game. Frustrated with Huntley at QB, as he almost never gives up the ball on the read option. Our RB was averaging 10 YPC, and the QB was still yanking the ball out and keeping it himself. That will need to get fixed, or he's gonna get destroyed next year.

Still, a win's a win, and Coach Whit now moves to 11-1 in bowl games. Dude just doesn't lose when he's got time to prepare. Good to end the season with a win, and look forward to better things next year.
The defense was pretty dang good. Fumbled punt inside the ten and hold them to an fg? Looked like a dominant performance to me.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:15 pm
Skinypupy wrote:A mediocre Utah team beats a more mediocre West Virginia team in a yawner of a bowl game. Frustrated with Huntley at QB, as he almost never gives up the ball on the read option. Our RB was averaging 10 YPC, and the QB was still yanking the ball out and keeping it himself. That will need to get fixed, or he's gonna get destroyed next year.

The defense was pretty dang good. Fumbled punt inside the ten and hold them to an fg? Looked like a dominant performance to me.
The defense did OK, considering they were missing three starters in the secondary, two on the d-line, and one linebacker. That said, WVU was missing all of their offensive production (stud QB, 1,000 yard RB, half the O-line)...a fact that the announcers were kind enough to remind us about every, oh, 30 seconds or so.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 pm A mediocre Utah team beats a more mediocre West Virginia team in a yawner of a bowl game. Frustrated with Huntley at QB, as he almost never gives up the ball on the read option. Our RB was averaging 10 YPC, and the QB was still yanking the ball out and keeping it himself. That will need to get fixed, or he's gonna get destroyed next year.

Ugh - as a WVU fan, I couldn't even watch it. I knew it would be ugly going in without our QB and all. Only good news for us is that Grier is coming back for his senior season (as is Stills, his main WR threat). Maybe the extra practice time was good for the underclassmen. So yeah, hopefully better things come next year.

Congrats to Utah on another bowl win!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A cool moment from yesterday's bowl game that went unnoticed.

With nothing but dwindling seconds left in his career as a college quarterback, Troy Williams bent down, swiftly untied the laces on his left cleat and held it up toward the sideline.

He needed to come out of the game.

Turns out, Williams took himself off the field in his final appearance.

Utah’s senior quarterback then jogged off the field in the final moments of the 30-14 win over West Virginia in the 2017 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl in Dallas on Tuesday afternoon. The decision personified the “C” stitched onto the jersey of the two-time team captain.

Williams jogged off so redshirt freshman and walk-on quarterback Drew Lisk, a graduate of Jordan High, could take the last snaps of Utah’s 2017 season. Lisk, who served as Utah’s primary scout team QB this season, handed off the ball once to senior backup running back Jordan Howard then kneeled out the clock, cementing Utah’s fourth straight bowl win and 11th under coach Kyle Whittingham.

It had to be tough for Troy Williams this year. He won 9 games as a starter last year, gets voted Captain, then gets benched for a true sophomore a week before the season starts. Through it all, he showed nothing but class, performed well when he came on, and exemplified what it means to be a team leader. Gonna miss that dude.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jesus, PAC 12. Anyone else want to bother showing up for a bowl game?

Oregon got destroyed by Boise, UCLA got drilled by K State, and Arizona is down 31-14 to Purdue at halftime. :?
Pyperkub

Re: Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Jesus, PAC 12. Anyone else want to bother showing up for a bowl game?

Oregon got destroyed by Boise, UCLA got drilled by K State, and Arizona is down 31-14 to Purdue at halftime. :?
UCLA without Rosen was always going to be that way. Modster only played well in one game at home. Away from home he wasn't good enough to make up for our defense.

With Rosen, we win that game, even with the curveball KSU threw with the QB change.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Agreed. I was more surprised by Oregon and Arizona, although the Cats came back and made it a hell of a game last night.

Glad we played them before the switch to Tate at QB. That kid is a freak.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:26 pm Jesus, PAC 12. Anyone else want to bother showing up for a bowl game?
And then Stanford went down to TCU. By contrast, the Big 10 is thus far doing very well.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Michigan State thumped Washington State as well. I was surprised. I did think the Spartans would win but I expected a much closer game. Nice comeback season for MSU after a rough 2016. Rough bowl season for the PAC.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Washington State kind of collapsed towards the end of the season.

I expect Ohio State to crush USC tonight. I hope not, I am not a USC fan but I always root for the PAC-12 and I hate OSU.

There should be a couple good games tomorrow. Washington vs Penn State could be very good. I think Wisconsin should handle Miami.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

rshetts2 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:37 pm Michigan State thumped Washington State as well. I was surprised. I did think the Spartans would win but I expected a much closer game.
I knew that would happen once they announced Falk was out. He was Wazzu's entire team...that offense was nothing without him running the show.

I expect SC to get crushed tonight as well. The P12's dismal bowl showing aside (ASU dropped another one today for the conference's 6th loss), USC really isn't all that good. Hell, we almost beat them on the road, and OSU is playing with something to prove after getting bumped out of the playoff. Darnold makes a boneheaded mistake for every great play he makes, and a team with a good defense should be able to capitalize on that. OSU by at least 14, I expect.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:09 pm Darnold makes a boneheaded mistake for every great play he makes
and there was your really bad interception from Darnold.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

and the PAC officials during the NW/UK was some of the worst ever. Toss UK's best player in the 1st quarter on a bogus call. That ref is getting ripped by everyone and he should be disciplined.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 am and the PAC officials during the NW/UK was some of the worst ever. Toss UK's best player in the 1st quarter on a bogus call. That ref is getting ripped by everyone and he should be disciplined.
Welcome to our hell every. Damn. Week.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

With a fight to end it all. Clown shoes. :roll:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And USC goes down in a flurry of turnovers. Another Big 10 win and PAC 12 loss.
Last edited by Jaymann on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 am
Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 am and the PAC officials during the NW/UK was some of the worst ever. Toss UK's best player in the 1st quarter on a bogus call. That ref is getting ripped by everyone and he should be disciplined.
Welcome to our hell every. Damn. Week.
and I believe a PAC ref team is calling the Clemson-Bama game. :x
and Bama is dead last again this year in number of penalties called against their opponent.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pac12 officially having the worst bowl season ever. 1-7, likely to be 1-8 if Penn State holds on to win.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dang, three more wins for the Big 10. Only Michigan has a chance to blemish the record.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yep the Big Ten is killing it in bowl games this season. 7-0 with U of M left. I think U of M had better win or they will be the only Big Ten team to crash and burn! Hey, Jimmy boy, no pressure dude.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And a big FAIL by Michigan. Nice to see both Harbaughs go down like scum within 24 hours.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, I thought that game was over at half time. Some of the worst playing I’ve seen from Gamecocks this year.

Interesting late call from Harbough to go for it @4th and 10?! Our defense was not great this year, but we weren’t that bad!
PLW

Post by PLW »

That was a happy new year's present. Only team in the nation who's 1-0 in 2018!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Congrats USCe on the win. I too thought it was over. Good halftime adjustments.

Auburn doing their usually suck away from home job. SNASS. (Situation Normal Auburn Still Sucks)

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had no idea UCF went winless in 2015. This team looks like it belongs in the final four.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Great win by UCF, shouldn’t have really been that close. That QB was awfully fun to watch. Frost did a remarkable turn-around there.

Shame that’s the highest UCF can ever hope to reach. Utah knows those feels all too well.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A strong defensive showing so far in the Rose Bowl. :lol:
Pyperkub

Re: Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:A strong defensive showing so far in the Rose Bowl. :lol:
Well, compared to last year...

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm A strong defensive showing so far in the Rose Bowl. :lol:
Well Georgia made some defensive adjustments.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As much as I dislike rooting for SEC teams, I dislike Baker Mayfield even more.

So...go Dawgs?

Edit: holy shit, what a game!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bleh, an all SEC final. Well grats to Bama and Georgia.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 am Bleh, an all SEC final. Well grats to Bama and Georgia.
Couldn't care less about a Bama/Georgia matchup. Makes my next Monday night that much easier to schedule.