NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Toe

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Toe »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 pm Good luck getting a big name to come there now, Volunteers fans.
So "big name"s won't come to UT because their fans don't like pedo-enablers? What a strange time we live in.
RMC

Post by RMC »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:09 pm
msduncan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 pm I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

Their only loss is versus probably the country's hottest team right now, a rival, on the road in one of college football's toughest environments to play. The committee does take injuries into consideration, and so they should consider that Alabama's injured players will be back to close to 100% by the time the playoff games start. Still one of the best 4 teams in the country in my opinion, biased as that may be.

There are other top 7 teams that have ugly losses against unranked terrible opponents. Not fluke trick-play losses -- BAD losses with wide point spreads. How on earth do you even consider putting an Ohio State team with such a terrible blowout loss to an unranked opponent in over Alabama?
Who here is advocating for Ohio State to make the playoffs?

As others here have said, if Clemson, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin all win on Saturday, they all deserve to be in the playoff over Alabama. And Alabama won't get in over the winner of Auburn/Georgia, either.
I think as someone from Ohio, I have to vote for the overrated OSU team get into the final 4, so they can get smacked around again. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Toe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
pr0ner wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 pm Good luck getting a big name to come there now, Volunteers fans.
So "big name"s won't come to UT because their fans don't like pedo-enablers? What a strange time we live in.
Toe there is no proof he enabled anyone. Someone said that they heard from someone else that he said he knew 'something'. Everyone has since said, that they did not say that since.

So if we want to start blaming people for a perceived thing that they might have heard/said and what they actually meant, then we are in a totally new world.

Now, if he did enable any of that, he needs to be terminated from his current job, at OSU as well as never get a new job. But no proof and no other red flags since seems like a horrible thing to harm a persons career for.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Toe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
Schiano isn't a "pedo-enabler". Try again.
Hodor.
PLW

Post by PLW »

RMC wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 am I think as someone from Ohio, I have to vote for the overrated OSU team get into the final 4, so they can get smacked around again. :)
This was floating around Clemson during the total eclipse.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:(
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Looks like the next big coaching vacancy is going to be FSU, as rumors are floating in the Twitterverse that Jimbo Fisher has already accepted Texas A&M's offer to be their next head coach.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The Sandusky connection is killer I see. Also do you guys think a Super Bowl winning NFL coach would really want to go to college coaching? Gruden can have the Raiders coaching job any time he wants it.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If the playoffs seriously consider Ohio State after getting demolished twice this season - once at home and once by a terrible Iowa team - then the playoffs are meaningless. Saturday's outcome for OSU should simply be playing spoiler to Wisconsin's title hopes and nothing more. They don't deserve it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Here's my (valuable) prediction as to how things shake out:

Pac12 - Out of playoff. I can't see a way a team gets in here.
SEC - Winner of championship is in playoff, even if it's a two loss Auburn. Getting a second team (Alabama) in will depend on a few factors.
ACC - Winner of championship is in playoff. No second team in.
Big 12 - Oklahoma is in if they win. Big 12 is out of playoff if TCU wins (potentially opening a slot for Alabama or Ohio State).
Big 10 - Wisconsin is in if they win. OSU gets in if they win and Oklahoma loses (i.e., both Alabama and OSU are in with this scenario). If OSU wins and Oklahoma wins, it will be interesting to see whether Alabama or OSU gets in. Alabama doesn't really have a signature win, but they have only the one loss to a very good team. OSU will have two top ten wins (PSU and Wisconsin) and a conference championship (which is supposed to be a factor for the committee to consider), but they've got one loss to a very good team (Oklahoma) and a terrible blowout loss to a mediocre team (Iowa). It's a coin flip at that point.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Regarding Tennessee, I think that some folks might be using the Sandusky connection to justify trying to scuttle the hiring of a second tier (in the eyes of Vol fans) coach. It didn't matter so much whether the allegations were true - he just needed the stink of them to justify losing the job. TN fans appear at this point to be somewhat delusional that they will be able to lure a successful NFL coach (who, by the way, has no college coaching experience - ask Lovie Smith if coaching in college is the same as coaching in the NFL) or get some other A list coach. From what I understand, their recruiting footprint suffers a bit in that their primary SEC East competition are in more talent rich states (Georgia and Florida). The job may not be that attractive these days (kind of like Nebraska). Of course, many people thought Michigan fans were delusional about attracting a successful NFL head coach to a state without the best recruiting profile, so . . . .

Speaking of the Wolverines, Wilton Speight has officially announced his intention to grad transfer for his fifth year. With O'Korn graduating, that leaves redshirt sophomore Brandon Peters or redshirt freshman Dylan McCaffrey (of the football McCaffreys) in the driver's seat next year (barring an unlikely grad transfer or one of the two true freshmen QBs coming in winning the job). Certainly can't be worse than O'Korn, and I'm looking forward to Harbaugh finally having one of his QB recruits be the man. Speight did about as much as could realistically be expected of him, and I wish him the best (maybe at Virginia?), but the raw talent level of the new QBs is a step up.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I think there are a lot of possible combinations for the playoffs. One reason I would like 8 teams is so that every conference winner gets in automatically. But, based on what we have....

SEC CG Winner.....Auburn or Georgia
ACC CG Winner....Clemson or Miami
Wisconsin if they beat OSU
Oklahoma if they beat TCU

If OSU wins or TCU wins you might see a Clemson get in if Miami beats them. I wouldn't be shocked if the committee gave OSU a spot if they won. Since the committee claims it is how you are playing now that counts maybe USC gets in if they beat Stanford in the PAC12 CG.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 pm Speaking of the Wolverines, Wilton Speight has officially announced his intention to grad transfer for his fifth year. With O'Korn graduating, that leaves redshirt sophomore Brandon Peters or redshirt freshman Dylan McCaffrey (of the football McCaffreys) in the driver's seat next year (barring an unlikely grad transfer or one of the two true freshmen QBs coming in winning the job). Certainly can't be worse than O'Korn, and I'm looking forward to Harbaugh finally having one of his QB recruits be the man. Speight did about as much as could realistically be expected of him, and I wish him the best (maybe at Virginia?), but the raw talent level of the new QBs is a step up.
O'Korn looked terrible against OSU. He holds the ball way to long.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

Their only loss is versus probably the country's hottest team right now, a rival, on the road in one of college football's toughest environments to play. The committee does take injuries into consideration, and so they should consider that Alabama's injured players will be back to close to 100% by the time the playoff games start. Still one of the best 4 teams in the country in my opinion, biased as that may be.

There are other top 7 teams that have ugly losses against unranked terrible opponents. Not fluke trick-play losses -- BAD losses with wide point spreads. How on earth do you even consider putting an Ohio State team with such a terrible blowout loss to an unranked opponent in over Alabama?
I don't, but Alabama needs help next weekend to get in. Specifically, they need Ohio state to win. 1 loss TCU avenging their loss to Oklahoma could easily jump them, as could 1 loss Miami with a win over Clemson, as they would both be conference Champs with better wins than Alabama.

Ohio State, as much as ESPN wants to push them, ain't getting in.

Think of it this way, what's Alabama's signature win? LSU or Mississippi St. Both good teams, but not anywhere near Oklahoma/Clemson/Auburn on a neutral field (the last, in case Georgia wins the SEC championship). And if Wisconsin wins, unbeaten plus a win over tOSU for a conference championship probably does the trick.
Edit. Forgot TCU has 2 losses. Alabama gets in over them as well. Ohio state doesn't (split with Oklahoma and tougher schedule wins out). If Ohio state and TCU win, the fourth slot could open up to. .. UCF.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 pm Speaking of the Wolverines, Wilton Speight has officially announced his intention to grad transfer for his fifth year. With O'Korn graduating, that leaves redshirt sophomore Brandon Peters or redshirt freshman Dylan McCaffrey (of the football McCaffreys) in the driver's seat next year (barring an unlikely grad transfer or one of the two true freshmen QBs coming in winning the job). Certainly can't be worse than O'Korn, and I'm looking forward to Harbaugh finally having one of his QB recruits be the man. Speight did about as much as could realistically be expected of him, and I wish him the best (maybe at Virginia?), but the raw talent level of the new QBs is a step up.
O'Korn looked terrible against OSU. He holds the ball way to long.
The only thing worse than him holding the ball too long is when he actually throws it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

With half decent QB play Michigan turns the beginning of Saturday's game against OSU into a blow out. With O'Korn over throwing every wide wide wide open receiver....well, you saw or heard what happened.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy:

Apparently Tennessee is now after Todd Bowles, who allegedly wants out of his NY Jets job.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pete Carroll went from the Patriots to USC and made it relevant again after years of neglect but he at that time hadn't taken a team to the Super Bowl.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am Looks like the next big coaching vacancy is going to be FSU, as rumors are floating in the Twitterverse that Jimbo Fisher has already accepted Texas A&M's offer to be their next head coach.
A&M is not a better job than Florida State. I would be shocked if he moved.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am Looks like the next big coaching vacancy is going to be FSU, as rumors are floating in the Twitterverse that Jimbo Fisher has already accepted Texas A&M's offer to be their next head coach.
A friend of mine who works at FSU says the donors and boosters there are NOT happy with how this season went. There could be some pressure on Fisher that hasn't really been reported yet.
Hodor.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:59 pm
A friend of mine who works at FSU says the donors and boosters there are NOT happy with how this season went. There could be some pressure on Fisher that hasn't really been reported yet.
Well, good for A&M if it happens. That would be a great hire for them.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm
Pyperkub wrote:
msduncan wrote:I don't buy that Alabama should be out of the playoffs because of their schedule.

I don't, but Alabama needs help next weekend to get in. Specifically, they need Ohio state to win. 1 loss TCU avenging their loss to Oklahoma could easily jump them, as could 1 loss Miami with a win over Clemson, as they would both be conference Champs with better wins than Alabama.

Think of it this way, what's Alabama's signature win? LSU or Mississippi St. Both good teams, but not anywhere near Oklahoma/Clemson/Auburn on a neutral field (the last, in case Georgia wins the SEC championship). And if Wisconsin wins, unbeaten plus a win over tOSU for a conference championship probably does the trick.
Edit. Forgot TCU has 2 losses. Alabama gets in over them as well. Ohio state doesn't (split with Oklahoma and tougher schedule wins out). If Ohio state and TCU win, the fourth slot could open up to. .. UCF.
I don't see any way UCF gets in, just based on the strength of schedule argument.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:17 pm ImLawBoy:

Apparently Tennessee is now after Todd Bowles, who allegedly wants out of his NY Jets job.
ESPN is bringing up the name of Tee Martin. Isn't he the current offensive coordinator?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:17 pm ImLawBoy:

ESPN is bringing up the name of Tee Martin. Isn't he the current offensive coordinator?
I believe he's USC's OC. I don't know why they're spending all this energy on a coaching search - Brady Hoke already has an apartment there and everything!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 pm
Pyperkub wrote:

I don't see any way UCF gets in, just based on the strength of schedule argument.
3 games against solid teams (with a blowout win over Memphis already - 2 over an otherwise unbeaten Memphis isn't a bad resume builder), could give them an opening to allow the Committee to chose a group of 5 team, just so they can say they have - but yes, very unlikely. I think it would actually bring them into the discussion, at least a bit.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Interesting local tidbit, BYU fired Ty Detmer as their Offensive Coordinator today. Can't imagine that was a fun conversation for Holmoe to have with an school legend.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Just want to say that Fresno State (9-3) beat Boise State on Saturday and is ranked 25th in one poll. One heck of a turnaround from last years 1-11 season. Two of Fresno's loses were to Alabama and Washington.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm Just want to say that Fresno State (9-3) beat Boise State on Saturday and is ranked 25th in one poll. One heck of a turnaround from last years 1-11 season. Two of Fresno's loses were to Alabama and Washington.
And yet, Boise is favored in the championship game rematch...

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm Just want to say that Fresno State (9-3) beat Boise State on Saturday and is ranked 25th in one poll. One heck of a turnaround from last years 1-11 season. Two of Fresno's loses were to Alabama and Washington.
And yet, Boise is favored in the championship game rematch...
Well, it is in Boise and beating any opponent twice in a season is pretty tough, especially two weeks in a row. I am not sure Boise had their heart in the first match up since the second was already a sure thing. But they didn't look like the traditional Boise team and Fresno, while not as flashy offensively, has a much better defense than in the past few years.

PS....I don't expect Fresno to win, but then I didn't expect them to win last Saturday either.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote:Interesting local tidbit, BYU fired Ty Detmer as their Offensive Coordinator today. Can't imagine that was a fun conversation for Holmoe to have with an school legend.
Makes me sick but it was the right call. Sitake should probably be gone too. Ugh detmer being fired makes me sick.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So Bama is out, Miami is out, Auburn is in and Wisconsin is in. If the top four win out, Bama is toast. Good, I'm looking forward to new teams in the championship.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Lorini wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 pm So Bama is out, Miami is out, Auburn is in and Wisconsin is in. If the top four win out, Bama is toast. Good, I'm looking forward to new teams in the championship.
?

If TCU wins, Bama is likely in.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msduncan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 pm So Bama is out, Miami is out, Auburn is in and Wisconsin is in. If the top four win out, Bama is toast. Good, I'm looking forward to new teams in the championship.
?

TCU isn't top 4.

If Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin all win on Saturday, Alabama isn't getting in.
Hodor.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

pr0ner wrote:
?

TCU isn't top 4.

If Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin all win on Saturday, Alabama isn't getting in.
If TCU wins Oklahoma loses therefore Alabama is most likely in.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:43 am
pr0ner wrote:
?

TCU isn't top 4.

Yes. But MSDuncan's "?" seemed to indicate that he thought TCU was top 4. As things stand, Bama is out.
Hodor.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:43 am
pr0ner wrote:
?

TCU isn't top 4.

I just heard an analyst make an argument that Ohio State should be in above Bama if they beat Wisconsin, because they would be a conference champion, and Bama's best win was against LSU. <shrug> Let the hate begin if that actually happens, because OSU does not deserve to be in the TOP 4 with how they played this year.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

?

Yeah that doesn't contradict anything I said since they are playing Oklahoma and Oklahoma is in. I am therefore puzzled by the ?.

?

:D
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 amI just heard an analyst make an argument that Ohio State should be in above Bama if they beat Wisconsin, because they would be a conference champion, and Bama's best win was against LSU. <shrug> Let the hate begin if that actually happens, because OSU does not deserve to be in the TOP 4 with how they played this year.
The argument for OSU is that they will have beaten two top ten teams (Penn State and Wisconsin), an absolute pummeling of another top 25 team (48-3 over Michigan State), and are a conference champion (and conference championships are something that the committee is supposed to take into account). The argument against OSU is losing big at home to Oklahoma and getting crushed at mediocre Iowa.

The argument for Alabama is only one loss to a strong (albeit 2-loss) Auburn team on the road. The argument against Alabama is lack of signature wins and no conference championship.

I don't think either team has a particularly strong playoff resume.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If Alabama gets in (due to a Oklahoma or Wisconsin loss) it only strengthens the argument for an 8 team playoff and that the committee has it for Alabama.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 pm
RMC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 amI just heard an analyst make an argument that Ohio State should be in above Bama if they beat Wisconsin, because they would be a conference champion, and Bama's best win was against LSU. <shrug> Let the hate begin if that actually happens, because OSU does not deserve to be in the TOP 4 with how they played this year.
The argument for OSU is that they will have beaten two top ten teams (Penn State and Wisconsin), an absolute pummeling of another top 25 team (48-3 over Michigan State), and are a conference champion (and conference championships are something that the committee is supposed to take into account). The argument against OSU is losing big at home to Oklahoma and getting crushed at mediocre Iowa.

The argument for Alabama is only one loss to a strong (albeit 2-loss) Auburn team on the road. The argument against Alabama is lack of signature wins and no conference championship.

I don't think either team has a particularly strong playoff resume.
Ohio State is overrated this year, and has been. But I am a homer, so have to further the argument. :)