NCAA Football 2017 season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: NCAA Football 2017 season

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm If Alabama gets in (due to a Oklahoma or Wisconsin loss) it only strengthens the argument for an 8 team playoff and that the committee has it for Alabama.
Also strengthening that argument IMO is the fact that there is a whole spectacle/ ESPN full day show on the the whole "Who's In?!?" dilemma as it plays out. In a more perfect situation, there wouldn't have to be so much speculation and BS. Hell, maybe they did it this way FOR the spectacle and the drama. Who knows, I've become so damn cynical these past several months, I will believe any shitty reason.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And the new coach for ASU is...Herm Edwards. Wait, what?

A guy who hasn't coached in10 years and who only coached at the college level for a few years back in the late 80's? Yeah, I can see that experiment ending well. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:45 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm If Alabama gets in (due to a Oklahoma or Wisconsin loss) it only strengthens the argument for an 8 team playoff and that the committee has it for Alabama.
Also strengthening that argument IMO is the fact that there is a whole spectacle/ ESPN full day show on the the whole "Who's In?!?" dilemma as it plays out. In a more perfect situation, there wouldn't have to be so much speculation and BS. Hell, maybe they did it this way FOR the spectacle and the drama. Who knows, I've become so damn cynical these past several months, I will believe any shitty reason.
The NCAA basketball tournament has an entire day of hoopla (see what I did there) around the start of their playoffs. Why should football have less?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Remus West wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:01 am
The NCAA basketball tournament has an entire day of hoopla (see what I did there) around the start of their playoffs. Why should football have less?
Perhaps because they actually do have less. Like 64 less.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
RMC

Post by RMC »

I think basketball has a lot of hoopla about seeding, and they do talk about the ones that didn't get in, but that is less of an argument then what seed that they were placed in.

I guess I would like them to expand football to 8, just to make it so some of these smaller conferences would have a chance of sending a team to the playoffs. Currently, even if you are perfect but from a smaller conference, there is little chance of you getting in.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
The Meal

https://imgur.com/OqyoB0I

Post by The Meal »

The spectacle and the drama are negatives?!? Not from ESPN's (or any sports media) perspective. And to be honest, I'm sort of into sports for spectacle and drama. YMMV (and clearly does). Fortunately for you, there's no A Clockwork Orange type of forced consumption of entertainment media you don't enjoy.

Recall that there were times in the old system where the spectacle and drama regarding national champs played out in the days after the bowl games were all wrapped up (see: msduncan's signature). At least the athletic endeavors now settle the question of who's champ.

I'm all for 8 teams in the BCS playoffs. But I don't have a dog in the hunt, and just sort of enjoy watching the good college teams play each other as a fan of the process. I couldn't stand the previous non-playoff system, so guys who latch onto the history of the thing tend to disagree with my perspective.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

As a Fresno State fan I have no dog in the NC hunt. I just think that since each of the Big 5 conferences schedules different, has different membership and each creates it's own champion that those champions should by default get into the playoffs. With an 8 team playoff that leaves room for exceptional teams who don't win a Big 5 Conference title.

Whether that be a Boise State or UCF, or a one loss conference runner up, or an independent.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Let me clarify: When the spectacle and drama is created by what will come out of the smoke of a backroom decision (obviously exaggerating for emphasis), as opposed to athletic talent (via wins), I think there is a lot of room for improvement (and of course it IS better than previously...much less smoke, as it were)

When they make an entire marketing slogan around "Who's In?!" simply because it's up to a bunch of dudes' fickle brains as opposed to a more objective system, I wish for a better system, that IS possible. It's just not in place for whatever reason in NCAA football.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

NCAA football playoffs, unlike NCAA basketball, has been held back by the tremendous amount of money that is the traditional holiday bowl games.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Your crazy land NCAA Football news roundup for Friday, December 1:

Jimbo Fisher has resigned, effective immediately, from FSU, to become Texas A&M's next football coach.

Ole Miss got another year tacked onto its self-imposed bowl ban, along with three years of probation, a bunch of show-cause orders, and a two conference game suspension for former coach Huge Freeze.

Tennessee AD John Currie was fired as a result of the ongoing drama in the Volunteers' head coaching search. Currie was trying to get Mike Leach to leave Washington State to come to Tennessee. Scuttlebutt is that Phil Fullmer wants to be AD and is using the coaching debacle as a way to get Currie out the door so he can become AD and pick Tennessee's new coach.
Hodor.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm Your crazy land NCAA Football news roundup for Friday, December 1:

Jimbo Fisher has resigned, effective immediately, from FSU, to become Texas A&M's next football coach.
Wow. I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

I guess he really wanted back in the SEC.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm Your crazy land NCAA Football news roundup for Friday, December 1:

Ole Miss got another year tacked onto its self-imposed bowl ban, along with three years of probation, a bunch of show-cause orders, and a two conference game suspension for former coach Huge Freeze.

Tennessee AD John Currie was fired as a result of the ongoing drama in the Volunteers' head coaching search. Currie was trying to get Mike Leach to leave Washington State to come to Tennessee. Scuttlebutt is that Phil Fullmer wants to be AD and is using the coaching debacle as a way to get Currie out the door so he can become AD and pick Tennessee's new coach.
Fulmer named Tennessee AD

Hopefully this brings back the Fulmer Cup on EDSBS!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Was that the contest to see who had more players arrested or something like that?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:06 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Was that the contest to see who had more players arrested or something like that?
Yup

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Does USC deserve to be in the discussion? I'm a hardball USC/UCLA fan so you guys discuss :).
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its simply not going to happen for USC. No matter what happens in the other championship games, there is no path through for them. In the SEC, you have Auburn and Georgia, whomever wins is in. The ACC is also a whoever wins is in game. That's 2 slots gone no matter what. In the BIg Ten, Wisconsin is a lock if they win and if OSU wins, theres no way USC passes them and Alabama both. And in the BIg 12, Oklahoma wins and they are in. If TCU wins, there's no way USC jumps Alabama or most of any of the other teams that could lose their championships. Unfortunately for USC, Alabama is the fly in the ointment in almost every scenario for USC. USC is toast.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So you're saying there's still a chance for them?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

USC lost its chance when they were blown out by notre dame. In an eight team playoff they would be in
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Chrisoc13 wrote:USC lost its chance when they were blown out by notre dame. In an eight team playoff they would be in
Bingo. The loss to wazzu was OK, but adding the blowout loss and their best win is Stanford kills them.

If you are going to have two losses, you're going to need some big wins, and USC doesn't have those.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well then I'll look forward to watching USC on New Years day (not at the Rose Bowl I understand that).
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:58 pm Well then I'll look forward to watching USC on New Years day (not at the Rose Bowl I understand that).
I doubt you'll be watching USC on New Years Day.

December 30 in the Fiesta Bowl is where USC is most likely playing.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I really thought TCU would put up more of a fight than that. Team Chaos is now 0-1 for today.

Oh, and that UCF-Memphis game was fantastic.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looks like Auburn were paper Tigers...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Team Chaos: 0-2. That was a dominating Georgia win.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ohio State is doing their best for team chaos. This is how Alabama gets in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Clemson just locked up the #1 seed with a dominant performance against Miami.
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:24 pm Looks like Auburn were paper Tigers...
Get them away from home and they resort to their normal mediocre self.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Seriously though -- 35 point loss just three weeks ago to an unranked team. I know you guys have Bama fatigue but I'm not sure how you can justify putting in a 2 loss team with a RECENT loss like that in ahead of Bama.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, Alabama should be in with the OSU win but with humans involved on the committee I'm not sure.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Would the recent matter so much? Unless you mean recent as in championship game or something similar? I don't know much about this, so these are questions.

Yeah too bad for the Badgers, I didn't watch the second half but OSU just tore up their defense in the first half.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sorry Miami. That was a freaking massacre. My Dad (a Hurricane alumn) is not happy. Not one bit.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

msduncan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am Seriously though -- 35 point loss just three weeks ago to an unranked team. I know you guys have Bama fatigue but I'm not sure how you can justify putting in a 2 loss team with a RECENT loss like that in ahead of Bama.
Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 am Well, Alabama should be in with the OSU win but with humans involved on the committee I'm not sure.
I'll just re-post what I said earlier.
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 pm The argument for OSU is that they will have beaten two top ten teams (Penn State and Wisconsin), an absolute pummeling of another top 25 team (48-3 over Michigan State), and are a conference champion (and conference championships are something that the committee is supposed to take into account). The argument against OSU is losing big at home to Oklahoma and getting crushed at mediocre Iowa.

The argument for Alabama is only one loss to a strong (albeit 2-loss) Auburn team on the road. The argument against Alabama is lack of signature wins and no conference championship.

I don't think either team has a particularly strong playoff resume.
Auburn losing bad today does not help the Alabama case. They only have one loss, but it's to an uninspiring slate. I'm not impressed by OSU, either.

This should be an argument against an 8 team playoff. We don't even have four worthy teams this year.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just to tweak your argument a little, ImLawBoy, Ohio State beat two teams who'll finish top 10, but were top 4 when Ohio State played them.

Also, we wouldn't even be talking about Alabama for the playoff if they hadn't squeaked one out against Mississippi State.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msduncan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am Seriously though -- 35 point loss just three weeks ago to an unranked team. I know you guys have Bama fatigue but I'm not sure how you can justify putting in a 2 loss team with a RECENT loss like that in ahead of Bama.
A) Ohio State won their conference.

B) Alabama's loss is *more* recent.
Hodor.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I would give the nod to Ohio State.
RMC

Post by RMC »

My over rated OSU team might sneak into the playoffs.... Wow...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
PLW

Post by PLW »

Let's just give Clemson a BYE.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I think another issue the committee faces, one that plays against Alabama, is that if they snub OSU, then they will shut both the Big Ten and PAC champions, and thus two of the Power 5 conferences, completely out of the playoffs. OSU has the marquis wins that Alabama does not, as well as the conference championship. I think Bama is going to be left out. On the plus side, this supports a stronger argument for expanding the playoffs to 8 teams.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm really hoping it's OSU.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Alabama but it would set a really bad precedent.
Hodor.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:06 pm I'm really hoping it's OSU.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Alabama but it would set a really bad precedent.
The funny thing is that this precedent was already established when OSU got in last season. They then got thumped 31-0 by Clemson. That could play against both teams. They could say, lets not put another also ran in, look what happened last time we did! Or they could say, we don't trust OSU after last year. They certainly have an interesting decision ahead of them.