How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk

Post by Holman »

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

A detailed personal dialect map that shows the three cities most similar to your pattern. Give it a try.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gbasden

Re: How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk

Post by gbasden »

Shockingly enough, my dialect patterns are most similar to Irvine, Bakersfield and Fresno, and I grew up in Southern California. Spot on for me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gbasden wrote:Shockingly enough, my dialect patterns are most similar to Irvine, Bakersfield and Fresno, and I grew up in Southern California. Spot on for me.
Fresno is the armpit of CA, not part of SoCal. :wink:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Detroit, Baton Rouge, Jackson. Guessing the baguette did me in LOL.

As a Quebecer living in the prairies, I suppose Detroit splits it down the middle too.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Not even in the ballpark for me. But then, I'm British, and this test seems more focused on American idiolects.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Holman

Post by Holman »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Not even in the ballpark for me. But then, I'm British, and this test seems more focused on American idiolects.
Entirely.
wire

Post by wire »

I grew up in western Washington State but one side of my biological family were tar heels from backwoods North Carolina and the other side from Oklahoma and Ohio and my stepdad's side of the family being originally from Missouri so I heard different versions of words growing up. I also picked up different versions of words in the Army and being around guys from all over the place. After being stationed in Georgia I learned to just say coke instead of pop or soda. So taking this test didn't put me anywhere near the west coast (where I've lived almost my entire life minus the 4 years in Germany and Georgia) but smack dab in the Midwest.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote:How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

A detailed personal dialect map that shows the three cities most similar to your pattern. Give it a try.
"what do you call a drive thru liquor store?"

Uh...an incredibly bad idea?

Buffalo/Yonkers/(Newark/Patterson).

Which is about right if the cities have to be American.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sorry for the sidetrack question, but why is a drive thru liquor store a bad idea? Don't most people drive to a liquor store? Why is not having to get out of your car bad?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote:How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

"what do you call a drive thru liquor store?"

Uh...an incredibly bad idea?
A true Canuckian, like Zap Rowsdower, would surely approve.

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moliere wrote:
gbasden wrote:Shockingly enough, my dialect patterns are most similar to Irvine, Bakersfield and Fresno, and I grew up in Southern California. Spot on for me.
Fresno is the armpit of CA, not part of SoCal. :wink:
Oh, no arguments there. I think it has a limited number of cities in each geography, or I would be much more offended.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McNutt wrote:Sorry for the sidetrack question, but why is a drive thru liquor store a bad idea? Don't most people drive to a liquor store? Why is not having to get out of your car bad?
Well, I guess it depends where you live whether you have to drive to the store or not, but that's only part of it.

There are a couple of factors here:

1) I don't like the idea of making it super convenient to buy mind altering things. It should require effort. How much? I don't know. More than a drive-thru I guess.
2) I believe (based on nothing but personal opinion) that people are more likely to drink and then drive to get more drink if they know they don't have to get out, walk across the parking lot, interact with store staff, and generally be observed for longer than a few seconds that a drive-thru transaction takes.
3) How much freakin' booze are you (general you) buying that saving 10-15 minutes per booze trip makes any difference whatsoever in your life? Do you really buy booze more often than you buy groceries?

I guess I think there should be some gravitas to booze and buying it so that the nature of liquor (mind altering, impairing, potentially killing) is never far from a customer's mind. Making it easier seems to be a move in the other direction.

That said, I live in a province where the Federal government controls most of the sale of liquor and the provincial government has handed out a monopoly to a private entity for the sale of beer (there is some cross over between the two). It's not a business that a private citizen can get into even if they wanted to do so, which almost certainly colours my view.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: 1) I don't like the idea of making it super convenient to buy mind altering things. It should require effort. How much? I don't know. More than a drive-thru I guess.
2) I believe (based on nothing but personal opinion) that people are more likely to drink and then drive to get more drink if they know they don't have to get out, walk across the parking lot, interact with store staff, and generally be observed for longer than a few seconds that a drive-thru transaction takes.
3) How much freakin' booze are you buying that saving 10-15 minutes per booze trip makes any difference whatsoever in your life? Do you really buy booze more often than you buy groceries?
Don't get too worked up about it. People aren't hitting the drive-through and then guzzling booze before they get to the next stop light.

In some parts of the US, alcohol is so carefully regulated that you can't buy it with your regular groceries or sundries: you buy wine and liquor at one kind of specialty shop, you buy beer at another, and you can't buy either with your regular groceries. Beer shops are the only drive-through outfits I know.

In some places (such as Philadelphia, where I am), distribution laws make it more convenient and cheaper to buy beer by the case than by the six-pack, so buying beer means buying a large box to open when you get home. All the drive-through places I know sell it by the case. (I don't think drive-through six-pack sales are even legal here.)

A drive-through shop is trying to make itself more convenient than its competitors. But the "super-convenience" probably isn't enough to alter consumption beyond rates seen elsewhere.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In some parts. I grew up in Vegas. Walk into a grocery store, and it's beer and wine to the right, slot machines to the left.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

It definitely outed me as a Michigander. That sweet fizzy stuff is POP, not soda or coke.

P.S. it's called a "brew-thru".
There is no hug button. Sad!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I grew up in southern California but have lived all over the United States and my pronunciations show it.
I don't have an accent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Glendale, etc. Arizona. Which is weird because I have never lived there and hate going there.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

That was very accurate for me. It gave me Grand Rapids, MI., Detroit, MI., and Toledo, OH. I grew up very close to GR, I now live in the Detroit Metro area and I worked in Toledo for awhile, on and off.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bang on for Chattanooga. The other two were Birmingham and Jackson.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've taken the test twice, and I notice that there are a few different questions each time. Maybe 80% of questions were the same.

It placed me at Birmingham, AL and Jackson, MS, which is about perfect: I grew up mainly in Atlanta, but I lived in Birmingham for five important years and my parents are both from Hattiesburg.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spot on for me too, which leads me to believe it actually pings your location or maps your IP address or something like that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I even misclicked one question. The right answer was at the very bottom but I clicked none of the above right above it before I saw it.

If its not IP then my give away was what do you call soda in your area and here everything is Coke.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stimpy wrote:Spot on for me too, which leads me to believe it actually pings your location or maps your IP address or something like that.
It correctly pegged me as Alabama/Mississippi even though I now live in Philadelphia and have never logged on south of here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Birmingham, Jackson and Montgomery for me.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Birmingham, Jackson and Montgomery for me.
Birmingham, Montgomery and Greensboro for me.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

New York, Yonkers, Patterson

All because I call them "sneakers"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I remember a similar quiz a few years ago and it identified me as from Louisiana mainly because I say crawfish and po-boys.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, it placed me exactly 35 miles north of where I was born and raised. :o
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife did it. She has a few different words or ways of saying them than me even though she is also from the south. It marked her in the city her dad was from..Birmingham.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote:That was very accurate for me. It gave me Grand Rapids, MI., Detroit, MI., and Toledo, OH. I grew up very close to GR, I now live in the Detroit Metro area and I worked in Toledo for awhile, on and off.
I also grew up in GR, and I went to college in East Lansing, and I lived in upstate NY for several years after that. So it's interesting that it pegged me for Boston, Providence, and Worcester. I've only lived here for 31 years and they weren't my formative years. Guess I've been assimilated.

The two words it seized on were "bubbler" for a drinking fountain and "rotary" for a traffic circle.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the first city listed for me was Mpls/St. Paul, which just so happens to be where i grew up. and i still say 'baaay-gul'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: A true Canuckian, like Zap Rowsdower, would surely approve.

Enlarge Image
:lol:

Stealing this...
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting, two were pretty close (Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem, NC) and Montgomery, AL.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

rshetts2 wrote:That was very accurate for me. It gave me Grand Rapids, MI., Detroit, MI., and Toledo, OH. I grew up very close to GR, I now live in the Detroit Metro area and I worked in Toledo for awhile, on and off.
Very accurate for me as well with the exact same result.

I grew up in Toledo until grade 5, which is basically Detroit, and I've lived in GR ever since.

I bet you have wonderful diction! :wub:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I grew up in Fresno, Reno, and Terre Haute (western Indiana.) It placed my speech in Denver, Aurora, and Colorado Springs. I did live in Denver for eight months or so, but it wasn't enough to affect my speech. On a closer inspection of the heat map, one of the darkest spots is right in central California around Fresno, which makes more sense.

It's interesting to see where it places me, as I'm probably an anomaly it wasn't designed for. I've spent nearly half of my life in Indiana, but I make a real effort to be conscious of my speech and not pick up the local dialect. As a result, I tend to fall back on technical terms for things rather than local terms (I say "soft drink" most often, for instance.) Unfortunately, I do seem to have picked up the accent, which makes me nuts. I often find myself dropping the 'g' in 'ing', which I hate and immediately correct. I mean, I find myself droppin' the 'g.' :doh:

/addendum - I just did the math, and I've actually been in Indiana more than half of my life. 25 1/2 out of 44 years. How did I get stuck here?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote:I grew up in Fresno, Reno, and Terre Haute (western Indiana.) It placed my speech in Denver, Aurora, and Colorado Springs. I did live in Denver for eight months or so, but it wasn't enough to affect my speech. On a closer inspection of the heat map, one of the darkest spots is right in central California around Fresno, which makes more sense.

It's interesting to see where it places me, as I'm probably an anomaly it wasn't designed for. I've spent nearly half of my life in Indiana, but I make a real effort to be conscious of my speech and not pick up the local dialect. As a result, I tend to fall back on technical terms for things rather than local terms (I say "soft drink" most often, for instance.) Unfortunately, I do seem to have picked up the accent, which makes me nuts. I often find myself dropping the 'g' in 'ing', which I hate and immediately correct. I mean, I find myself droppin' the 'g.' :doh:

/addendum - I just did the math, and I've actually been in Indiana more than half of my life. 25 1/2 out of 44 years. How did I get stuck here?
They needed someone to replace me. I left in 1981 after 17 years of life there.

The only thing there I wish I had near me is a lot of Fazoli's.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I moved here in 1982. And 1984. And 1990. And 1996. And 2000.

But I'm literally on the opposite end of the state from where you were.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: It placed my speech in Denver, Aurora, and Colorado Springs.
Denver, Aurora, and for some reason, Fremont, CA.

I have never lived in or near any of these places.

I mostly grew up in Minot, ND which, if you can avoid the Norwegian influence, is about as close to a null dialect you can get despite what the movie Fargo might have you believe.

As for the whole soda/pop/coke thing, the only time it ever really comes up is in response to a waiter/waitress asking, "Can I get you something to drink?" to which my response is usually Coke or Pepsi products? If the answer is Pepsi then I'll just get a water.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Gave me Baltimore, which is accurate. Other two were Winston-Salem and Montgomery AL. Interesting quiz.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I assume there are only a few cities as outcome options, right? i.e. the results mean "here are the cities IN OUR LIMITED DATA SET, that most closely resemble your speech" (and maybe there are only like 20 options or something).

The heat map it shows at the end had a bright red swath from the cities listed as "my dialect" to where I live now - about 400 miles away. I took that to mean "these speech patterns are as prevalent in your city as the ones listed below, but these are our 'model" cities'" but I could be wrong.