How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Not even in the ballpark for me. But then, I'm British, and this test seems more focused on American idiolects.
Entirely.
I found it interesting that even though it's focused on American idiolects, there were a surprising number of seemingly awfully British terms to choose (e.g. "fizzy drink", "car boot sale", "wood louse", "trainers", "lorry", "roundabout" etc). I've certainly never met any native-born Americans that would use those terms.

FWIW, it suggested my nearest cites were Honolulu, Jersey City, and New York. Which is odd, as one certainly would not imagine there were all that many Britishisms used in those particular locales.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That's a long quiz. I got Santa Rosa, Modesto, and Reno even though I'm from and in So Cal. Close enough I guess.

edit: Around here the drive thru that sells stuff, including alcohol, is called a 'dairy'. To buy alcohol though you have to exit the vehicle. So the procedure is to drive up, tell them what you want, put the car in park and get out, they get and hand you the alcohol, then you get back in your car. What that accomplishes I don't know, but that's the law for you.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Holman wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Not even in the ballpark for me. But then, I'm British, and this test seems more focused on American idiolects.
Entirely.
I found it interesting that even though it's focused on American idiolects, there were a surprising number of seemingly awfully British terms to choose (e.g. "fizzy drink", "car boot sale", "wood louse", "trainers", "lorry", "roundabout" etc). I've certainly never met any native-born Americans that would use those terms.

FWIW, it suggested my nearest cites were Honolulu, Jersey City, and New York. Which is odd, as one certainly would not imagine there were all that many Britishisms used in those particular locales.
Roundabout is quite common here both in name and use.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Rip wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Holman wrote:
Entirely.

Roundabout is quite common here both in name and use.
For us, we just call it a circle.. and I got:
NEWARK / PATERSON
YONKERS
NEW YORK

Since I grew up in Newark I'd say it's spot on!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

It gave me Augusta-Richmond (GA), Fresno (CA), and Arlington (VA).

I'm from a southern family, grew up in southern Cal, and live in the mid-Atlantic.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Blackhawk wrote:I often find myself dropping the 'g' in 'ing', which I hate and immediately correct. I mean, I find myself droppin' the 'g.' :doh:
Yeah-- that needs fixed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never heard it called anything but a roundabout! Of course, I've been on one all of three times, but still.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Granted, I stand corrected on "roundabout", but whereabouts in the US do people describe HGVs as "lorries"? That's always seemed like a decidedly British term to me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There were several questions that had more than one correct answer for my location. I tried to go with the most common one, but roundabout/traffic circle, sneakers/running shoes, pop/soft drink just to name a few are all in usage here.

Interestingly (I guess) is that I used to call all soft drinks "coke" when I was little but grew out of it.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Granted, I stand corrected on "roundabout", but whereabouts in the US do people describe HGVs as "lorries"? That's always seemed like a decidedly British term to me.
Nobody native to and raised in the US says "lorry" without affectation.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I've spent the last 11 years far from where I grew up, so I tried to answer based on how I was raised rather than things I say now. As a result, my closest match was Louisville...20 minutes from where I actually grew up in southern Indiana. The locations most opposite to my answers were in Massachusetts...30 minutes from where I currently live in CT
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

GreenGoo wrote:There were several questions that had more than one correct answer for my location. I tried to go with the most common one, but roundabout/traffic circle, sneakers/running shoes, pop/soft drink just to name a few are all in usage here.

Interestingly (I guess) is that I used to call all soft drinks "coke" when I was little but grew out of it.
I say "Coke or Pepsi, whatever you have" because of two things. One, if you want a cola around here, those are the two possible choices you will have the vast majority of the time. Two, if I say Pepsi, I guarantee it will be a place that only serves Coke. If I say Coke, it will turn out to be a Pepsi place. It's like we're talking quantum soda here, what kind they carry is only determined after I say which I prefer.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If I want a cola I just say "cola". It doesn't seem to help tho. They still ask if Coke or Pepsi is okay.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote:If I want a cola I just say "cola". It doesn't seem to help tho. They still ask if Coke or Pepsi is okay.
Insist on RC!
mori

Post by mori »

Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Francisco, and Oakland. I lived in Minnesota most of my life so that makes sense. Which brings up another question. Why is Minneapolis and St. Paul considered the same, and San Francisco and Oakland different? Are they so different they need separate listings? Never been to Oakland. I was just told never go across the bridge when I was in San Francisco.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It pegged me correctly in Salt Lake.

Seems like the "potato bug" (the small grey bug that curls up) answer is a pretty good indicator you're from Utah.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As a kid I heard that term used in California. But then again as a kid there were no native Californians. Everybody had moved there from somewhere else.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote:It pegged me correctly in Salt Lake.

Seems like the "potato bug" (the small grey bug that curls up) answer is a pretty good indicator you're from Utah.
MI too!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:

MI too!

We called them roleypoleys. We called the large orange ladybug looking things potato bugs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I grew up with roley-poleys in Fresno. I never heard the terms 'potato bug' or 'pill bug' until I got to Indiana.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Newark/Paterson
New York
Jersey City
Since I've lived no more than 20 minutes from NYC my entire life (lame, I know), pretty spot on. Although, my father always pronounced bottle as "bot el", like the British and I do the same.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:

MI too!

We called them roleypoleys. We called the large orange ladybug looking things potato bugs.
You ever make one roll up and then shoot it out of a BB gun?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:

MI too!

Can't say as I have.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:

MI too!

Can't say as I have.
We called them tickle bugs or pill bugs. Didn't know they are actually crustaceans until high school biology.
Model Mayhem # 641920
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote:I've never heard it called anything but a roundabout! Of course, I've been on one all of three times, but still.
The first time I heard it called a round about it was from my TomTom GPS.. Had no idea what it was talking about until we got closer...
My wife has the Yoda voice for her TomTom and it says something like "in the roundabout take the 2nd exit... round and round we go,,,round and round"
That always gives me a chuckle..
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote:There were several questions that had more than one correct answer for my location. I tried to go with the most common one, but roundabout/traffic circle, sneakers/running shoes, pop/soft drink just to name a few are all in usage here.

If one of us goes shopping we say pick up some soda. If we are eating out we say Diet Coke. We prefer Diet Pepsi, but the majority of places we go have Coke products. If they have Pepsi, they always double check to make sure Pepsi is good with us.. I can understand this as they both do have different tastes...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:

MI too!

We used to shoot them from slingshots and try to knock over plastic army men.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sectoid wrote:We called them tickle bugs or pill bugs. Didn't know they are actually crustaceans until high school biology.
They have Rolleypollies on Mars? :shock:
Punisher wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I've never heard it called anything but a roundabout! Of course, I've been on one all of three times, but still.
The first time I heard it called a round about it was from my TomTom GPS.. Had no idea what it was talking about until we got closer...
My wife has the Yoda voice for her TomTom and it says something like "in the roundabout take the 2nd exit... round and round we go,,,round and round"
That always gives me a chuckle..
We never had them here growing up. I think I was a teenager before I heard the term traffic circle and actually saw one in some other state. Shortly thereafter the concept was quickly associated with Roundabout because of the Yes song (and European Vacation). It way years later before I'd hear the word rotary, probably not too much before they started showing up here in well in to my 20s.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Behold the Magic Roundabout!
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Model Mayhem # 641920
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So they counter-rotate with the middle? That seems safe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Isgrimnur wrote:So they counter-rotate with the middle? That seems safe.
Yeah. This is also England so there's the whole "other side of the road" thing to wrap your mind around for us Yanks. If you look at the lower pic, there is a car with no idea what the hell is going on going through one of the roundabouts in the middle/bottom.
Model Mayhem # 641920
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I pronounce "Caramel" both ways just to be an ass. Same with "Neither".

Quiz pegged me as Rockford, Aurora and Detroit. That's probably pretty close to right because I don't have a Chicago accent.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Archinerd wrote:I pronounce "Caramel" both ways just to be an ass.
One of the strangest experiences I've ever had was stopping at a McDonalds somewhere in rural Alabama (en route to Florida for Spring Break) and ordering a caramel sundae. The cashier looked at me like I was completely insane. "You want a what? What on earth is a 'caramel sundae'? Are you messing with me here?" (she yells to the back) "Hey Joe, you ever heard of something called a 'caramel sundae'"? (Joe yells back, "A what?") "Look son, I don't have time for practical jokes today. Either order something real, or I'm going to ask you to leave." It was bizarre.

Weirdest thing was, it was listed right there on their damn menu. I can only assume that the way I was saying it didn't process with her at all, for whatever reason. I was so flustered, I just ended up walking out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote:I pronounce "Caramel" both ways just to be an ass.
As do I...must be a common method of expressing assholishness in our area.

When I got to the final punchline, I got a message:
Stupid website wrote:Sorry, an error has occurred. Keep this link to save your answers and view your map later.
So, I guess I broke it.
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote:How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

A detailed personal dialect map that shows the three cities most similar to your pattern. Give it a try.
"what do you call a drive thru liquor store?"

Uh...an incredibly bad idea?
We had them in Ann Arbor.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

gameoverman wrote:If I say Coke, it will turn out to be a Pepsi place. It's like we're talking quantum soda here, what kind they carry is only determined after I say which I prefer.
And you have no idea what we agents of the RandOm go through to make that happen
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaosraven wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote:How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk.

A detailed personal dialect map that shows the three cities most similar to your pattern. Give it a try.
"what do you call a drive thru liquor store?"

Uh...an incredibly bad idea?
We had them in Ann Arbor.
You had one that I was ever aware of. I also had one within walking distance of where I live now. It was crazy to me. Much like it's crazy to me to sell beer at gas stations. I think it's a culture I was raised in. Objectively, it's not open booze sales to drivers, but it still feels wrong.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ok, I did it again from home and got results. Aurora IL -- I'm just across Oswego from that city, maybe 5 miles away. Madison, WI - my favorite city in Cheeseheaddom, so I guess that makes sense. Rochester, NY? Been there once, don't remember interacting much with the natives though (was there to visit a friend from this area who now lives across Aurora from me in Naperville).
Black Lives Matter