Water filter problem

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Water filter problem

Post by stessier »

We have a Frigidaire side-by-side fridge and changed the water filter on Friday. We use the recommended Frigidaire OEM filter. We flushed it with the recommended 1.5 gallons and there was still some type of white contamination that gave the water a milky appearance. We flushed an additional 6 gallons through the filter and while the milky appearance was much less, it was still present. We then noticed that we would get clear water for 1.75 cups, then there would be 0.5 cups of milky water, then it would be clear for the next 1.75 cups.

We thought it was just a bad filter, so we bought another one and the same trend repeated. When changing the filter, though, we noticed that it took 1.75 cups before we got the air blast (like the system was filling up the new filter). So we figure there is 1.75 cups in the lines from the filter to the dispenser and then the filter probably takes 0.5 cups. But what is the milky residue?? We've run about 12 gallons through the filter and it's still happening.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smutly

Re: Water filter problem

Post by Smutly »

A couple of things possible.

When you let the 'cloudy' water sit, does it clear up? It could be air bubbles (tiny) that are being entrained from the new filter itself. If so, it's safe to drink and problem should eventually go away. I'm surprised there's not a bleed valve on the filter to ensure that it's liquid full, but entrainment will work...it just takes time and makes owners nervous.

Is the substance oily / greasy? Maybe it's grease. If so, they're supposed to use a grease that is compatible with human consumption so again probably okay.

I would mention plain ole hardness (carbonates from hard water), but even if you had a lot of build-up downstream of the filter it would be short lived and obvious as chunks or particles.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smutly wrote:A couple of things possible.

When you let the 'cloudy' water sit, does it clear up? It could be air bubbles (tiny) that are being entrained from the new filter itself. If so, it's safe to drink and problem should eventually go away. I'm surprised there's not a bleed valve on the filter to ensure that it's liquid full, but entrainment will work...it just takes time and makes owners nervous.
I thought that might be it too. We poured one cup of the "clear" water and one of the "chalky". It's been 24 hours and the chalky one is still the same - maybe a very slight lightening. It doesn't appear as if there is anything settling out on the bottom of the glass either.

Is the substance oily / greasy? Maybe it's grease. If so, they're supposed to use a grease that is compatible with human consumption so again probably okay.

I would mention plain ole hardness (carbonates from hard water), but even if you had a lot of build-up downstream of the filter it would be short lived and obvious as chunks or particles.
I don't think it is grease - it's too finely dispersed for that. Can't say for sure though. I don't think it's hard water either - we would have noticed that from any of the other taps and don't have that issue.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Oh, and I drank one of the chalky glasses - it might have a slight taste, or it might all be in my head. Hard to say. Nothing dramatic though. And I'm still alive. :)
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

stessier wrote:I don't think it's hard water either - we would have noticed that from any of the other taps and don't have that issue.
The idea would be that during installation you 'upset' (bumped, bent, or otherwise somehow cracked the fouling carbonate that is on tubing / components and making it more likely to flake off. Did you notice any gunk around the filter where it attaches in the fridge? Some areas have little to no hardness and so this is rarely an issue, but some regions can't get around it and don't soften the water because there's no need to (unless you really like a sudsy bath). :D
Black Lives Matter*

stessier

Post by stessier »

Nothing was disturbed during installation. This is an internal filter where you just slide it in and it clicks in place. I could see the water pressure change when i installed it might have knoxcked something loose, but i dont really see floaters...whatever it is is too fine to be seen discretely with the naked eye.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Went back and re-evaluated the 24 hour cup - it has a fine white precipitate at the bottom of the glass. I couldn't see it before because I was only looking from the side - from the top down there is a definite white powder. Filter media?

Put another 3 gallons through the filter and it seems to be lessening in intensity although the frequency remains the same.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

White powder is...odd. Unless I am wrong, the filter media in your refrigerator is likely a carbon filter. Particulates being released by it would be black, not white. I would have guessed water pressure issues (and cloudiness was related to air bubbles, not particles), but Smutly seems to have run that down already.

It is possible that the water tank inside the refrigerator had a calcium build up (that's the white particles) and the new filter is allowing more water through, so that extra pressure is "flushing" the water tank inside the refrigerator and that scale is now coming out in the dispenser. That assumes you have excess calcium in your tap water, of course.

Do you use a dishwasher? Is it possible that there is soap residue in your drinking glasses and you *think* it's coming from the refrigerator water that is highly aerated (making it cloudy) because of the new filter? So the cloudy part is the aerated water and the white particles are soap residue?

You've done everything I would have thought of - repeated flushing, new filter, etc... so I guess the only thing left is to call a technician?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I'll be curious what you find out. We have a similar fridge and while I don't have issues with the water it dispenses, there is something with the ice. We don't use a ton so when it gets "old" I pop out the container and pitch them out on the lawn to melt. What I see left there is some white residue on the grass after they are gone... thinking calcium as well.
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

FWIW, the picture in this thread is pretty much exactly what I'm seeing.
Smoove_B wrote:Do you use a dishwasher? Is it possible that there is soap residue in your drinking glasses and you *think* it's coming from the refrigerator water that is highly aerated (making it cloudy) because of the new filter? So the cloudy part is the aerated water and the white particles are soap residue?
We do use a dishwasher, put I had put some of the water in my running water bottle without noticing (it was dark) and when I poured it out when I got home, it too was white and it had never been through the dishwasher.
You've done everything I would have thought of - repeated flushing, new filter, etc... so I guess the only thing left is to call a technician?
That sounds expensive. Ugh. :)

We have a lab at work with a mass spec and GC. Do you think it is worth taking in a sample? I don't know if either of those is appropriate for figuring out what it is.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

It's most likely calcium or magnesium carbonate. If you aren't getting it from your other taps then I suspect it will disappear over time. It's possible that the filter swap still broke some scale loose. If it looks like the photos you referenced, though, I would have expected it to disappear quickly so the mystery remains. :?:

The fact that you find other web sites referencing the same phenomenon puts me at ease because we've never heard of a mysterious national recall on refrigerator water filters causing sickness due to producing hazy water. Or....lawsuit!
:horse:
Black Lives Matter*

stessier

Post by stessier »

Smutly wrote:The fact that you find other web sites referencing the same phenomenon puts me at ease because we've never heard of a mysterious national recall on refrigerator water filters causing sickness due to producing hazy water. Or....lawsuit!
:horse:
So I will be the first. Hooray!!

;)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You'd think they would make an empty filter tube that you can put in place, and run water through the system at full pressure to clear out unwanted sediment before you install the actual new filter. Sounds like a good kickstarter.

I imagine if you tried to empty your hot water heater the prescribed once a year, via a filter, you'd never get the sediment out of it.
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife empties the water heater much more often than once a year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got a new water heater last year. I plan to flush it next year.

Was this white stuff in your water when you first got your fridge? If not it must be the filter. Perhaps try a different brand.

I found two answers....
The mystery of the white particles has been solved. I need to recap a little so you can see the problem, ME.
The fridge was new in 2003 and it has a green light that will change color when the filter needs changing. The light never changed and I guess I lost track of time, whoops.
When I found the white stuff, my first thought was bacteria and I ran bleach though the system. This only broke up the white stuff into smaller pieces. Then I thought it was plastic coming apart.
Last weekend, thinking that it must be minerals, I decided to try a last ditch effort to fix or break it. I removed the filter again and got some Lime-away. I pre tested the lime-away on the old filter element and there was no explosion, haha. I put about 3 oz into the filter and reinstalled it. I ran some through and about every 30 seconds burped the water switch to relieve any pressure build up. After about 20 minutes I ran about 5 gallons of water through the system to get clean water. (Tons of junk came out).
I now have perfect water with nothing in it; looking with very high magnification it is very very clear.
Lesson learned, change the filter often. Things to do, send Whirlpool an apology.
Another site says its the reservoir..
It seems that the molded plastic water reservoir is breaking down due to the chemicals used to treat the tap water coming in. Most manufacturers have gone to using a coil of tubes in place of the reservoir. You can read more about it below. This had me going for about 3 days! I hope this helps.
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/white-particles.shtml
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

stessier wrote:FWIW, the picture in this thread is pretty much exactly what I'm seeing.
Smoove_B wrote:Do you use a dishwasher? Is it possible that there is soap residue in your drinking glasses and you *think* it's coming from the refrigerator water that is highly aerated (making it cloudy) because of the new filter? So the cloudy part is the aerated water and the white particles are soap residue?
We do use a dishwasher, put I had put some of the water in my running water bottle without noticing (it was dark) and when I poured it out when I got home, it too was white and it had never been through the dishwasher.
That sounds expensive. Ugh. :)

We have a lab at work with a mass spec and GC. Do you think it is worth taking in a sample? I don't know if either of those is appropriate for figuring out what it is.
I don't know either, but you should do it anyway just to have a reason to play with the toys..
Also, did you accidentally plug in your fake filter you hide your cocaine in? You'd be surprised at how often that happens..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Punisher wrote: Also, did you accidentally plug in your fake filter you hide your cocaine in? You'd be surprised at how often that happens..
I was about to say nearly the same thing...
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not the pipe crack you were looking for?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon