2017 Hurricane Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: 2017 Hurricane Season

Post by Lorini »

It's not like they could easily get out of Florida.
Black Lives Matter
Debris

Post by Debris »

Still have power and internet here north of Tampa. It looks like Irma will stay to our east so we should not get the torrential rains and winds the upper-east quadrant can bring. They are forecasting winds in the 80 mph range which is much better than the 115 mph range they were talking about this morning.

Everyone be safe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife says we still have power at the house, and the worst seems to have passed. We won't know the full extent of the damage until tomorrow, but it looks like more of our neighbor's fence was destroyed (they lost a good chunk of it during Hurricane Matthew last year), a palm tree fell down the street, another tree is about to fall across the street from us, and some neighbor's tree branches snapped.

My parents evacuated north of Orlando. Now Irma is curving towards them, and they have already lost power. They live 2 minutes from my house, so likely didn't lose any power at home.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Imgur is full of people in Tampa Bay. Literally in the bay, as all the water is gone. At least until the surge brings it all back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Wife just told me she can "hear things flying and banging around hardcore outside". Something is flying around my backyard apparantly. Hopefully it's my neighbors fence, and not mine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe it's a free trampoline.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Enough wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:I haven't seen a Jose track yet, is it looking like double jeopardy?
Jose is tracking north to open sea.
It's got a little loop action going on. It wouldn't be the first storm to do a loop before hitting the US.

Enlarge Image

I'm in place at the EOC now. A few days ago we were looking at a direct hit from Irma. Now we are outside the cone. Still, it's such a big storm that we will likely get Category 1 winds. The talk was that this place would be locked down starting tonight, so I'm prepared to be here through Monday morning. I'm really hoping they hold off on that though, so I can go home and get at least a little rest.
So this model result just came in:
https://twitter.com/splillo/status/906583162184224770
If that is correct, it looks like it will make land fall in Jersey.. It also looks like it grows a little before hitting...
That looks like fun...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OMG just think of all the fake tanning lotion it will wash into the ocean. Jersey'nites and Trump will be ruined.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Overall we made it through unscathed. Over 3/4's of homes in my county are without power, but we are the lucky few who still have power. My fence wasn't so lucky though.
And my neighbor's fence collapsed again. A portion of their fence fell into my yard during Hurricane Matthew last year. Irma continued the job last night.
Throughout the neighborhood trees are snapped and power lines are down. I was driving around a little and saw some structural damage. Mostly street signs and business signs that were knocked over. Nothing too bad from what I could see.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Heard from my parents in Jacksonville this morning. They had a rough night, and they woke up to water almost up to their front door.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I saw some intense video from Jacksonville. It's just incredible how the entire peninsula was slammed, from one end of the state to the other.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Daehawk wrote:OMG just think of all the fake tanning lotion it will wash into the ocean. Jersey'nites and Trump will be ruined.
Lumping Trump and Jersey together is going too far buddy! TOO FAR!!!! :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

In the face of all the troubles from Irma I realize that my issue is just silly. Still, I wish the power would quit flicking on and off every couple of minutes.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Octavious wrote:
Daehawk wrote:OMG just think of all the fake tanning lotion it will wash into the ocean. Jersey'nites and Trump will be ruined.
Lumping Trump and Jersey together is going too far buddy! TOO FAR!!!! :lol:
I don't know about that... it IS Jersey after all... ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looting in Florida has started. Scum of the Earth. The cops are already telling them its not worth it but if they want they can get arrested. Prison over a pair of sneakers is not worth it. Someone said your friends are making more money turning you idiots in than you are at looting :)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/11/hu ... hoice.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 7ad6d8ae37
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

One guy at a local shelter checked his home security camera from his phone and saw a guy walking around his property. Cops quickly arrested him.

To make it even dumber, state law is that there is no bale for people arrested for looting. So they sit in jail until the judge hears their case.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote:One guy at a local shelter checked his home security camera from his phone and saw a guy walking around his property. Cops quickly arrested him.

To make it even dumber, state law is that there is no bale for people arrested for looting. So they sit in jail until the judge hears their case.
So they just sit on the ground in a pile of hay?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote:
msteelers wrote:One guy at a local shelter checked his home security camera from his phone and saw a guy walking around his property. Cops quickly arrested him.

So they just sit on the ground in a pile of hay?
:oops:
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Lost a bunch of shingles in this one, after losing only three total in the last four. I suppose it was time. Although the official sustained wind at Orlando International was only 47 mph (yes, I know, gusts to 79 mph, but sustained is the "official" measure), it certainly felt more like Jean and Frances from 2004. First one I have been a bit nervous in since Charley.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Not surprisingly, my place in St. Louis got through Irma without any problems. However, it looks like there was a tornado that tore up a bunch of condos about 1/2 mile from my old place in St. Augustine. And some people I know there got flooded, although not as badly as with Matthew last year.

One the people who got flooded had bought his house one week before Matthew, so this is the second time his house has flooded in less than a year. It took about 6 months for his house to become livable after Matthew; hopefully the turnaround will be much faster this time, but man does that suck.
Black Lives Matter
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Aliasbuck wrote:Lost a bunch of shingles in this one, after losing only three total in the last four. I suppose it was time. Although the official sustained wind at Orlando International was only 47 mph (yes, I know, gusts to 79 mph, but sustained is the "official" measure), it certainly felt more like Jean and Frances from 2004. First one I have been a bit nervous in since Charley.
And the roof needs to be completely replaced, according to the Assessor. At least I don't have any leaks (or at least any that we can find). Now for the fun part of getting onto the schedule of the insurance-company recommended roofer. USAA insurance for the win, again.

(no roofies were harmed in making this post)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We aren't expecting much drama here, but Jose is already starting to scrape past New England with clouds and intermittent drizzle; boaters are already getting warnings about waves and currents and boat-related stuff like that. That's supposed to grow steadier throughout tomorrow, and turn into heavy rain and gusting winds Tuesday night into Wednesday, with potential for downpours, strong gusts, and localized flooding. The whole thing should clear out on Thursday.

It's a long way from disaster territory, fortunately. In keeping with our longstanding storm tradition, Wife and I will go out to dinner Tuesday night unless the weather looks genuinely perilous.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hurricane Maria is now cat 5, made landfall in Dominica and can potentially land a direct hit on Puerto Rico: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ba ... ia-n802431
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gilraen wrote:Hurricane Maria is now cat 5, made landfall in Dominica and can potentially land a direct hit on Puerto Rico: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ba ... ia-n802431
That would suck. The Caribbean is just getting hammered so far this year. I feel for them . . .
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Warning Notice from Miami-Dade County After Irma
Monday morning, Irma had passed and it was clear. At 9 a.m., Celso and his neighbors went outside to get to work.

Celso Perez: “We had a lot of trees down in the street and the streets were blocked. We were out here, us and our neighbors, cutting the branches down and trying to open up the streets.”

Later Monday afternoon, as Celso was clearing the tree branches, a car pulled up from Miami-Dade County…

Celso Perez: “And we thought he was here to help us or offer some type of assistance with the trees, maybe he was going to bring us ice or something.”

The code enforcement guy did give Celso something…

Celso Perez: “He said he would have to cite me for having my fence down.”

This warning was slapped on the part of the fence still standing. Celso is a very calm guy. His reaction?

Celso Perez: “I laughed. I thought he was kidding. ‘You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.’ ‘No, I’m not kidding. I have to cite you for this.’ I just laughed. OK, whatever; knock yourself out!”

Celso was told he got the warning was because the fence Irma knocked over made it easy to access his pool and he needed to fix that.

Celso Perez: “Which I could not do that day because all the stores were closed. It’s not like I can go to Home Depot and find some temporary barrier.”

Celso said the code enforcement officer told him he would write up a report and be back to check on him.

Celso Perez: “And if my fence had not been put back up when he came back, he would have to write me a fine or fine me for that.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

We should offer to host burning man this year in Florida. There's enough branches down to burn for months. The good people already have it all cut up and placed along the road everywhere, but I haven't even seen "one" city or county waste vehicle picking up any of it. Maybe they should offer people $25 for every 5 yard load they bring in themselves. I'm sure it will be quicker and cheaper than whatever isn't happening as of now.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Moliere wrote:Warning Notice from Miami-Dade County After Irma
Monday morning, Irma had passed and it was clear. At 9 a.m., Celso and his neighbors went outside to get to work.

Celso Perez: “We had a lot of trees down in the street and the streets were blocked. We were out here, us and our neighbors, cutting the branches down and trying to open up the streets.”

Later Monday afternoon, as Celso was clearing the tree branches, a car pulled up from Miami-Dade County…

Celso Perez: “And we thought he was here to help us or offer some type of assistance with the trees, maybe he was going to bring us ice or something.”

The code enforcement guy did give Celso something…

Celso Perez: “He said he would have to cite me for having my fence down.”

This warning was slapped on the part of the fence still standing. Celso is a very calm guy. His reaction?

Celso Perez: “I laughed. I thought he was kidding. ‘You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.’ ‘No, I’m not kidding. I have to cite you for this.’ I just laughed. OK, whatever; knock yourself out!”

Celso was told he got the warning was because the fence Irma knocked over made it easy to access his pool and he needed to fix that.

Celso Perez: “Which I could not do that day because all the stores were closed. It’s not like I can go to Home Depot and find some temporary barrier.”

Celso said the code enforcement officer told him he would write up a report and be back to check on him.

Celso Perez: “And if my fence had not been put back up when he came back, he would have to write me a fine or fine me for that.”
That is utter bullshit!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas
Storm weary hurricane evacuees are on the move again. The so-called ‘Mega-Shelter’ at Dallas’ Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is expected to be cleared by Wednesday.

According to the Red Cross, about 350 evacuees are still living there.
For now, Dallas is reopening its shelter at the Tommie Allen Rec Center for those who have no home waiting — and no hope of normalcy in Houston.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In another Fuck You to FL hurricane victims:

City Frustrates Good Samaritan Food Truck Operator
Jack Roundtree had barely set up his food truck in at the old Rich’s restaurant in Green Cove Springs. His customers, robbed of electricity by Hurricane Irma, were just lining up for lunches of hot barbecue, when two police cruisers pulled into the parking lot.

The officers told Roundtree to pack up and leave. City manager’s orders, they said. Roundtree didn’t have a permit, and he couldn’t get one if he wanted to.

Let me put the situation in context. Hurricane Irma had done her worst in the early morning hours of Tuesday. The city was a mess of downed trees and downed power cables. By Wednesday, many if not most city residents were still without power even though the sun was shining and the air was dry. There were few places serving food in Green Cove, but the demand was overwhelming. McDonald’s ran out at 2 p.m.

The utility boys from Troy, Alabama, were arriving on scene to put the city back online, and Roundtree was determined to do his part, too.
“Anybody in a utility vehicle we would feed for free. If they came in a utility vehicle, they were going to eat,” Roundtree said.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only the utility workers were eating for free, then he was attempting to run his business. The laws still apply. Now if he were donating food to all comers, that might have had a different outcome.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Couple more in the pipeline: Nate could reach cat 1 before it hits the Gulf Coast this weekend...and another cyclone is trying to pull itself together in the Caribbean. "In September, the highest amount of hurricane energy on record occurred, along with the most number of days with a major hurricane, according to Colorado State University meteorologist Phil Klotzbach."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Nate sending me home from vacation a day early. Gulf Shores has been beautiful all week, that will change late tomorrow.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter