Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Post by hentzau »

Enlarge Image

What: OctoCon XXI

When: Friday, October 20th, 10 AM to Midnight and Saturday, October 21st, 9 AM to Midnight

Where: United In Faith Church, 6525 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL

Who: OOers, spouses, friends, whoever!

Why?: Let's play some games!

The Facilities:

I have acquired the use of the fellowship hall and lounge of my church for us to use for a gaming day. Cost of using said room is whatever donation you care to make. (Note that this is NOT mandatory, just if you feel like donating, donate!)

The church is a converted printing plant, so the main fellowship hall is inside of the main plant space. It is large and roomy and doesn't look very church like (except for the statue of Jesus that will be staring out at the room the whole time. Hoping this might deter cheating.) We will have access to over a dozen 4X8 tables, and more could be grabbed if needed. It is totally handicap accessable. There is also a kitchen that is part of the hall, we should be able to use the refrigerator there for soda and snacks.

The lounge is right off of the fellowship hall, with couches and places to relax if you are not playing a game at the time. There is a 35" TV in there, so if someone so desired we could have video games running in there during the down times as well.

Food:

There are a number of restaurants in the area. Across the street is a Burger King, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts, and a chinese fast food restaurant. Down the street is a gyros/hot dog place, a typical Chicago corner greek restaurant, a bar, and another Chinese place (non-fast food). The new official favorite restaurant of OctoCon is now The Jolly Inn, right next door. It's a polish all you can eat buffet, and comes highly recommended by those that have eaten there.

There are two grocery stores right by the church; a large chain store, and a smaller Polish market, for your junk food needs. You can bring your own munchies and soda in with you.

We will do our usual Friday night pizza buy in...probably going up to about $7 a person (bring singles!!!). We'll get a bunch of Chicago style pizzas from Giordanos or Al's Pizza.

I would provide 3-4 dozen donuts and coffee for breakfast in the morning, on a first come first serve basis. Everyone would be responsible for their own lunch, but we have a wide selection. It seems like nobody stops playing for dinner, so we play that by ear too.

We always have a snack table, where everyone brings community munchies, as well as a few coolers of soda.

Alcohol:

No alcohol in the church for insurance reasons. Sorry. Regardless, there are a number of neighborhood-style bars and pubs around the church.

Lodging:

The closest motel is the LP Motel, 4605 N Harlem Ave, Harwood Heights. This motel is about 5 minutes from the church. Number for the motel is (708) 457-0600. No guarantees about quality, it looks pretty beat up and run down from the outside.

Another option is the Motel 6 at 9408 Lawrence Ave in Schiller Park. Disadvantage is that it is more like 15-20 minutes from the church. If I were coming here and didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel, that would be my first choice. Phone number is (847) 671-4282.

ThatSteveGuy and Kristie have stayed at the Aloft Hotel in nearby Rosemont and have recommended it highly.

Otherwise, lots of hotel choices all very close because we are near O'Hare. Just look at Google Maps or your other favorite hotel site.

Roll Call:

Confirmed:

Hentzau (and Friends)
Hepcat
Chaosraven
Lord Mortis
Bad Demographic (and Bob)
Zarathud
Archinerd

Tentative:

Ralph-Wiggum
Last edited by hentzau on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Octocon XXI - October 20-21 (tentative)

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Now that I'm in St. Louis, I might actually be able to attend this year. Hmmmm...
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This may be the first Octocon where I'm not sure I can be there all day Friday.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm in the parking lot now. Come on October 20th...
He won. Period.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

We're thinking of coming up for this. If so, we'll probably arrive Thursday in which case would any of you like to get together for dinner or bar hopping or just general hanging out?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Vacation time requested. As tempting as it is drive out on Thursday on play all day Friday, I don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe we try and get an earlier start on the road though. However, even then I still enjoy a few hours of decompressing after the drive.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Where?
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Sectoid wrote:Where?
In Chicago. We use my church fellowship hall and play board games until our eyes bleed.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

hentzau wrote:
Sectoid wrote:Where?
In Chicago. We use my church fellowship hall and play board games until our eyes bleed.
Which all too frequently coincides with JeffV arriving in bicycle pants.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shorts...bicycle shorts. Pants would have been a blessing. I'm still in therapy.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I used to live 10 miles away. Google says the bike route from where I live now is 50.7 miles, 4:15 travel time. I think you're safe.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not falling for that trap again!
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, there is the driving spandex that I do like to wear for long road trips. It's more of a thong though.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat will lend you his poodle skirt to cover up next time.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Well, I can't pass up even a slim chance to see JeffV in his shorts again. Count me in.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'll keep an eye on the thread, but too many variables to commit now.. One of which is travel there...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife work on Saturday night, trying to talk her into a plan where she and her mom take the kids to the children's prison down the street for awhile and then go to Seafood City for shopping and lunch before fetching me on their way back. Might get as much as 4 unencumbered hours if this plan works.
Bad Demographic wrote: of coming up for this. If so, we'll probably arrive Thursday in which case would any of you like to get together for dinner or bar hopping or just general hanging out?
If you get no better offer, you and Bob are certainly welcome to come over to our place for dinner. Warning though, we're a good one hour plus from Octocon Central, on the western fringes of civilization.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Re: Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Post by hentzau »

Got confirmation back from the church property committee today, we're good for these dates. Please note the earlier start time if you can make it on Friday!

Game on!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Glad to hear it, as I've already requested the time off.

I have a month and nine days to figure out an alternate route to get to the west side...

And if we get in early, I should know that Italian beef place you were recommending. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Couple of news tidbits...

The fellowship hall has finally gotten new chairs! These are larger, more comfortable chairs than the older folding chairs we have been using. However, they are not padded, which is kind of a blessing because the older chairs we have the padding was breaking down. I have not kept my ass planted in one of them for an extended period of time, but the seem to be an improvement over what we had.

Second...I think I'm going to be running a D&D game Friday night. A friend's high school daughter wanted to learn how to play D&D, and he asked if we had a game going. I told him that if I could get enough players, I would be happy to run a beginner game. So I'm planning on doing that Friday night. I currently have 2 players for it, have room for 5, so if you have wanted to try out 5E, I have some room...
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Don't know how to play 5E (was a 3 or 3.5 guy) but both chaosfaerie and I will be there and would like to be two of your heroes!
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Will you be preconning the characters?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope so. I've promised Hent 5 bucks if you get the halfling flower arranger who hates violence and only sings when communicating with others.
He won. Period.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

hepcat wrote:I hope so. I've promised Hent 5 bucks if you get the halfling flower arranger who hates violence and only sings when communicating with others.
For half, done and done.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

(as I demonstrate for chaosfaerie, she says she's getting flashes of Gallivant)
"Where are you off to?"

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:I hope so. I've promised Hent 5 bucks if you get the halfling flower arranger who hates violence and only sings when communicating with others.
Raven in fairie cosplay in five...

Also if you make him sing only, the table will tap out before he does. I've played Cosmic with him, so it is known.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

It is known, HepEesi.
"Where are you off to?"

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Vicious Mockery is surprisingly effective!

(In game and on the Forum)

This will be the one time I probably can't clear all day Friday, but I'm looking forward to getting there as early as I can slip away from the new job.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

"Where are you off to?"

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was about to ask what special occasion prompted that outfit...but then I realized it was probably just Tuesday.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yes, I was planning on using pre-gen characters. Creating characters is fun, but time consuming for 5 new players. I'd rather get right into the game with limited downtime up front. Most likely I'll just run the Lost Mines of Phandelver starter adventure, it's a lot of fun and gets players right into the action. And I've ran it like 3 times, so I don't really have much to prep for it.

And CR, we have a newbie gamer playing here. Please don't break her...
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Okay okay no chaps.

Sheesh.
"Where are you off to?"

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dear God, chaps...wear the chaps! I know what the alternative is!
He won. Period.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

What is the farthest anyone has travelled to come to the Chicago Octocon?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Mentally or physically?

Texas, I think, but Bad Demographic lives further away than that now. And not even Plaster Jesus can keep you sane should you accidentally take a bathroom break at the same time as Remus & Chaos.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:Mentally or physically?

Texas, I think, but Bad Demographic lives further away than that now. And not even Plaster Jesus can keep you sane should you accidentally take a bathroom break at the same time as Remus & Chaos.
Which one of you is going to guilt Remus in to making it out this year?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:Dear God, chaps...wear the chaps! I know what the alternative is!
Lycra. Not spandex.
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Shaving cream bikini.
"Where are you off to?"

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

CR, can I assume that you have your own dice for you and CF?