[PBS] Ken Burns'/Lynn Novick's The Vietnam War

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: [PBS] Ken Burns'/Lynn Novick's The Vietnam War

Post by dbt1949 »

Altho I was there I am not an expert on the Vietnam war. I know what happened in my little part of it but that's not exactly knowing everything about the whole country.
I have read a lot about it but here 15-20 years ago when I found out it was all a lie instigated by the LBJ administration it upset me so much I quit reading about it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:My alma mater has a Vietnam Center and Archive. They may still do a conference every three years. They also have an oral history project.
Texas Tech Vietnam Center and Archive, if anyone is curious.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Vietnam War’s John Musgrave on Fighting, Coming Home, and “Thank You for Your Service”
In writing my preview of Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s epic 10-part documentary The Vietnam War, which is now airing on PBS and streaming on the network’s app, I couldn’t stop thinking about one particular figure who reappears throughout the series: an eloquent, soft-spoken veteran named John Musgrave. In recent days and weeks, I have learned, other viewers and professional reviewers have found Musgrave equally captivating. Why? Take heed that some big spoilers lie ahead in the next paragraph, if you haven’t yet watched the full series.

It isn’t only that Musgrave is able to vividly summon the fear and pain he experienced as an 18-year-old Marine serving in Con Thien in 1967, but also that he underwent a profound evolution after suffering grievous wounds and then coming home to an America that was in no mood to honor its veterans. As the documentary advances, Musgrave, who grew up in a Missouri town where his father and his neighbors were revered for their World War II service, retreats into depression, considers suicide, and ultimately evolves into an anti-war activist and member of the organization Vietnam Veterans Against the War (V.V.A.W.). One of the series’ most dramatic moments comes in a later episode, when a bearded, long-haired protester first glimpsed in a still near the very top of Episode 1 is revealed to be the formerly clean-cut Musgrave: a transformed man.

For my V.F. article, I spoke by phone earlier this year with Musgrave, who now lives outside of Lawrence, Kansas, and has published volumes of poetry about his wartime experiences. Here are some previously unpublished excerpts from our conversation, about the documentary, his life, and the pride Musgrave still takes, despite everything, in having served as a Marine in Vietnam.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just finished part 9 and it's all pretty hard to absorb. Above and beyond the interviews, seeing how the Nixon administration targeted the media and tried to drum up fears during the protests of the late 60s and early 70s is....well, not wanting to go R&P, it's interesting. To have all the stuff I did now about dovetailed into all the previous material, it's easily one of the most powerful things I've watched. If this series doesn't win awards, I don't even know what to say.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was horrified by Nixon going through backchannels to torpedo the Hanoi peace talks before he took office. And the taped conversation between LBJ and Nixon about it and Nixon’s bald faced denials of involvement. LBJ couldn’t call him out on it because it would reveal intelligence sources.

The trail of blood goes back to Eisenhower and it was like watching a horror movie unfold with every stupid decision and I just wanted to yell at the television at times.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote:I was horrified by Nixon going through backchannels to torpedo the Hanoi peace talks before he took office. And the taped conversation between LBJ and Nixon about it and Nixon’s bald faced denials of involvement. LBJ couldn’t call him out on it because it would reveal intelligence sources.

The trail of blood goes back to Eisenhower and it was like watching a horror movie unfold with every stupid decision and I just wanted to yell at the television at times.
It seems that the point at which we could have disengaged and cut the cost (since by then the eventual result was foreordained) was 1965. McNamara has admitted as much in writing, and other experts and involved planners agree.

American history would have been very different. A 1968-1972 Johnson administration could have done great things, not the least of them being the prevention of Reagan's reactionary revolution.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: American history would have been very different. A 1968-1972 Johnson administration could have done great things, not the least of them being the prevention of Reagan's reactionary revolution.
If Vietnam had not de-funded the Great Society, Johnson might have backed NASA's plans for a moon base by 1980 and a Mars landing in '83, and we wouldn't be struggling to reinvent Apollo technology today. Congress would have probably dragged down funding enough to push those dates into the '90s, but we wouldn't have have taken the shuttle detour.

(edit) "would" to "wouldn't".
Last edited by Kraken on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mori

Post by mori »

$iljanus wrote:I was horrified by Nixon going through backchannels to torpedo the Hanoi peace talks before he took office. And the taped conversation between LBJ and Nixon about it and Nixon’s bald faced denials of involvement. LBJ couldn’t call him out on it because it would reveal intelligence sources.
And McGovern did the same damn thing in '72 but got exposed. The f'n politics. Damn all, just get elected even if you do not have the country's best interest at heart. The whole thing is so sickening.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Late to the party, and I haven't read the whole thread, but as a follow up everyone should watch Errol Morris' excellent Fog of War
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We were delayed in finishing the series: we managed to see the first six episodes during the first weeks when they were streamable, but then time ran out. Now that the series is out on DVD, we just watched through to the end.

Easily some of the most powerful television I've ever seen. I'm very glad I watched it with my family.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Now available on Netflix. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow