Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Star Wars Episode 9

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am I'm putting this theory floating around in heavy spoiler tags because it makes sense and jibes very closely with my own theory:
Spoiler:
I predicted the Emperor was somehow able to switch host bodies, but if this theory holds true, I was on the right track but not quite there.

The theory states that Darth Plageuis (the Emperor's master) is the real big bad. He uncovered the secret of transferring his life force to another host body, but the old host body has to be killed first. He inhabited the Emperor's body when the Emperor murdered him (something he had predicted and planned all along).

In a New Hope, the Emperor desperately wants Luke as the new host body, which is why he taunts Luke into killing him. His plans are thwarted, however, when Vader kills him.

We know Snoke was a seeker of ancient artifacts. The theory states that Snoke stumbled across the Emperor's corpse in the ruins of the second Death Star and became "infected" with Plageuis' spirit. Snoke is now the new Plagueis, but still needs a younger, fresher host body. Enter Kylo Ren.

Snoke grooms Kylo Ren and when the time is right sets up his own betrayal/death at his hands. Kylo is now Plagueis, and this is the secret Rey and company uncover in Rise of the Skywalker. This is also why Kylo is now suddenly keen on taking command of the First Order rather than tearing it all down.
Obviously this is all speculation, but if true I think it would be a satisfying explanation for some of the head-scratching character decisions in the last two films.
It's a cool idea, but it would mean that the Kylo we see was no longer Han and Leia's son, which would be a bummer.

But there definitely could be more done with the idea of eternal life a la Darth Plageuis. The light-side Force Ghost thing is a kind of mirror to it, after all.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am I would kill to see a horror film about possession set in the Star Wars universe. Hell, I'd kill to just see a horror film set in the Star Wars universe. That would be a great mash up.
This is what the Star Wars universe should be - get some talented film makers and get them to make new interesting takes on the universe - one horror-type movie, one character drama, one more comedic take, etc. At least Rogue One was an attempt to make more of a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, though it seems like that was constrained a bit by the studio.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am
YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am I'm putting this theory floating around in heavy spoiler tags because it makes sense and jibes very closely with my own theory:
Spoiler:
I predicted the Emperor was somehow able to switch host bodies, but if this theory holds true, I was on the right track but not quite there.

The theory states that Darth Plageuis (the Emperor's master) is the real big bad. He uncovered the secret of transferring his life force to another host body, but the old host body has to be killed first. He inhabited the Emperor's body when the Emperor murdered him (something he had predicted and planned all along).

In a New Hope, the Emperor desperately wants Luke as the new host body, which is why he taunts Luke into killing him. His plans are thwarted, however, when Vader kills him.

We know Snoke was a seeker of ancient artifacts. The theory states that Snoke stumbled across the Emperor's corpse in the ruins of the second Death Star and became "infected" with Plageuis' spirit. Snoke is now the new Plagueis, but still needs a younger, fresher host body. Enter Kylo Ren.

Snoke grooms Kylo Ren and when the time is right sets up his own betrayal/death at his hands. Kylo is now Plagueis, and this is the secret Rey and company uncover in Rise of the Skywalker. This is also why Kylo is now suddenly keen on taking command of the First Order rather than tearing it all down.
Obviously this is all speculation, but if true I think it would be a satisfying explanation for some of the head-scratching character decisions in the last two films.
It's a cool idea, but it would mean that the Kylo we see was no longer Han and Leia's son, which would be a bummer.

But there definitely could be more done with the idea of eternal life a la Darth Plageuis. The light-side Force Ghost thing is a kind of mirror to it, after all.
Well, he would be their son, up until partway through TLJ.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 am
Spoiler:
Who could you have transferred to in the Death Star? As far as we know, Luke was the only one shown to be in the area and get out.
Spoiler:
Plageuis has spent the past 30 years as an Ewok.
One thing I never understood was the Sith rule of two. If you know your student is going to kill you, why have a student?
Blame it on the midichlorians.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Spoiler:

I like the idea, but think it's way too complicated for a mainstream star wars movie. Nothing so far has been that clever.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We need a Star Wars rom-com starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

"Hang on for the most laugh-out-loud comedy in years. After three weeks, things are starting to get serious. She's trying to get him to meet her parents, while he'll do anything to keep her from finding out that he just blew up her parents' planet. Prepare to get forced choked up over this classic comedy about love and the Empire in You May Cry When Ready."
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

:clap:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The title really takes that post and kicks it up a notch.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 am Either you agree or you wanted him in TLJ or even TFA. There is no 'other than that'.
Well OK then. I'm just saying that while I agree there's been an amazing load of fanservice, to the point of leaning on them too heavily, if they had to use them, using most of them as cameos would have likely served the trilogy better.
Personally, I'm pretty sure if they used Lando in the place you describe --- I can't imagine everyone being OK with it. That would have, IMO, been an even more heavy handed use of an old character.
(not that any of us understand his role yet in the next one, of course)
See, I was actually disappointed in the missed opportunity, particularly since that one character didn't stick around. (He was killed, I think?) If he had, I'd have welcomed him as part of the new crew. There was already a parallel to Lando being created and one they didn't seize. So, at that point I wondered why they didn't use Lando in a short one-scene cameo and I wouldn't have used him in a full tag-along.

The other idea about TFA was more or less for some tradeoff, to instead introduce Lando first Han last as a mirror image of the OT.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think you are forgetting his use in the plot. It would have been pretty bad (character wise) for Lando to have taken that role.

He(DJ/ Benicio Del Toro) was basically a 'True Neutral' alignment character who ends up totally selling our heroes to the Empire, because that's exactly who he is/was.

While our Lando sold our heroes to the Empire because he had no other choice and was still considered a 'good guy'. I think it would have been very weird to use Lando as a "back-channel" type character again, and would have just been listed as 'another uninspired retreading' of the old work.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 pm I think you are forgetting his use in the plot. It would have been pretty bad (character wise) for Lando to have taken that role.

He(DJ/ Benicio Del Toro) was basically a 'True Neutral' alignment character who ends up totally selling our heroes to the Empire, because that's exactly who he is/was.

While our Lando sold our heroes to the Empire because he had no other choice and was still considered a 'good guy'. I think it would have been very weird to use Lando as a "back-channel" type character again, and would have just been listed as 'another uninspired retreading' of the old work.
Especially after he joined and became a general of The Rebellion after Cloud City.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, you're right. And come to think of it, I remembered being disappointed how quickly he ended up doing that. It would have been nice to have him stick around longer as a character in any case. Because at the very least the archetypes of the new characters are all too similar to the ones in the OT, it would have been nice to shuffle things around and have different opportunities and character types, such as a neutral Talon Karrde type of smuggler. That's one of the misgivings I have about this trilogy; most of the interesting side characters they've introduced mostly have been fodder.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Redfive wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 pm I think you are forgetting his use in the plot. It would have been pretty bad (character wise) for Lando to have taken that role.

Especially after he joined and became a general of The Rebellion after Cloud City.
As a side note, it always kind of bothered me how the rebellion seemed to hand out General status like candy. There have to be a ton of lieutenants in the rebellion who are perpetually pissed off when some flavor of the month swings through and is commanding them after a few days.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

It's not *too* surprising, given their pretty awful casualty rates (plot-important characters notwithstanding). You join the rebellion as a private at the right time, you can probably be a general by lunch.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Just like Captain Kirk in the Star Trek reboot.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not like you can just buy your way into an officer's commission.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Redfive wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm

As a side note, it always kind of bothered me how the rebellion seemed to hand out General status like candy. There have to be a ton of lieutenants in the rebellion who are perpetually pissed off when some flavor of the month swings through and is commanding them after a few days.
Dude owned a floating mining operation/city and had the ego to match. He probably promised the rebellion fuel and money once he got everything back up and running in exchange for having a rank. Ackbar is like, "Fine, but don't give him one of our fancy ships. Make him "lead" that attack run in his ratty old smuggler."
That's my purse! I don't know you!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The last time they were loose with the keys to ships one of their up and comers took one out on a "personal mission" and crashed it into a swamp. That same son of a bitch later dumped it into an ocean and left it there. The Rebellion was still paying that thing off!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am I would kill to see a horror film about possession set in the Star Wars universe. Hell, I'd kill to just see a horror film set in the Star Wars universe. That would be a great mash up.
if you are into movies of the mind...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00513HX06/re ... TF8&btkr=1
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Neat, thanks!
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

You are welcome! I enjoyed the book.. Star Wars and Zombies.. 2 of my favorite things!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wired
George Lucas Worked on the Story for The Rise of Skywalker

The Source: Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams

Probability of Accuracy: While J.J. may hedge his bets or mislead to protect story points, he's hardly going to outright lie about something like this.
Time to update the title, Pr0ner.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
hepcat

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by hepcat »

Still trying to make that astoundingly dangerous laser cross guard work there, aren't ya guys.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

For every movie the first order of business is figuring out how to make some crazy ass lightsaber design. Make the damn thing have a ten-foot long blade and be done with it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am Still trying to make that astoundingly dangerous laser cross guard work there, aren't ya guys.
God, I would *love* it if they set up some bad-ass looking Sith in a trailer and then had them die in the first five minutes from a stupid lightsaber mishap. Like, when the Sith lady swings the cross-guard into place, if she accidentally slashed her foot open and yelled "FUCK!" and fell down in agony. That would be so awesome.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:43 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am Still trying to make that astoundingly dangerous laser cross guard work there, aren't ya guys.
God, I would *love* it if they set up some bad-ass looking Sith in a trailer and then had them die in the first five minutes from a stupid lightsaber mishap. Like, when the Sith lady swings the cross-guard into place, if she accidentally slashed her foot open and yelled "FUCK!" and fell down in agony. That would be so awesome.
What are you watching? Sith lady and cross guard? That looks like Dark Side Rey snapping a dual lightsaber into the Light Saber double bladed bo stick thingie a certain Sith Lord used in a previous movie.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

morlac wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:43 am
What are you watching? Sith lady and cross guard? That looks like Dark Side Rey snapping a dual lightsaber into the Light Saber double bladed bo stick thingie a certain Sith Lord used in a previous movie.
Ok, I'm not super up to speed on sword / lightsaber technology. But yes, I'm referring to the winging the dual saber into the bo stick thingie, to be technical.

Also I didn't realize on first viewing that that was Rey. That's interesting.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL:

Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

PSA: Tickets should be going on sale tonight right after the trailer drops at halftime during the Patriots Jets game, probably somewhere around 9:30-10 eastern.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tickets are already on sale.

Jets/Pats are at the 2 minute warning.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:Tickets are already on sale.

Jets/Pats are at the 2 minute warning.
Yeah I turned back to that dumpster fire of a game. Just stick a fork in them and get to the damn trailer!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tickets acquired!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:40 pm Tickets acquired!
Me too. 8:05 Friday - the 7:00 show was almost sold out seconds after they went on sale.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

10;30 PM Thurs for me.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Got tickets for 7:00 Thursday (Dec 19th) for my family.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven’t been able to generate much excitement for this final chapter, but I’d be lying if I said that trailer didn’t give me chills.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill have to see this final one alone after all these years. Ill go a week or two after it opens and go during the day or cheap times. Maybe even wait until Jan. Not sure. Then Im done with the theater movies.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"