Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm Look, it was never going to be a TV series, so of course you weren't going to get the benefit of that friendship over the course of 99 episodes or something. But for what time they had? It was fine and believable.
But they copied the most emotional scene in all of Star Trek in Into Darkness and totally relied on the old relationship. That's the problem. That friendship didn't exist within the confines of the screen.

Good Lord, is there anything else dear to us nerds I can get worked up over today? How about this? Silent Runnings was too heavy handed.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Psssstttt... This is a Star Wars thread. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:54 pm
Good Lord, is there anything else dear to us nerds I can get worked up over today? How about this? Silent Runnings was too heavy handed.
If you meant

then bite your tongue! That movie made a very young hepcat cry his eyes out!

But if you meant

...I got nothin'.

Also, just as a reminder, you're wrong about everything else.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just got back from RoS. Wasn't the same without my wife sitting beside me. I was uncomfortable being alone. Also for the first time ever in my life at a movie I spilled my popcorn. Dangit..embarrassing. Also when there was 45 min left I was about to burst but didn't go piss . So sat there with that hurting but I got to see it all..i think. haha.

Ok...color me surprised. Ive not read this thread at all since the movie came out to avoid spoilers so went in without fog from that. I liked it more than the other two completely. Loved it. It actually felt coherent and told a narrative story to me. Finally. Like the old ones. So 10/10 from me. And ya I did feel Id seen it before someplace wink wink. Still loved it. Was nice.

Favorite character.....well the little droid hacker was cute as could be but I loved the little new droid D-O. My fav easy.

The only thing I really didn't like was the final death at the end..boooo hisss. Why did they have to do that??

Ok Ill try to catch up on this thread today.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The thread really doesn't take off until we start discussing Cool Runnings. So you can skip everything before that.
He won. Period.
morlac

Post by morlac »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:07 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:59 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm I mean, they do eat the captured stormtroopers.
I WISH that was all they did with captured stormtroopers. They're like the Reavers from Firefly, for god's sake.
I'm just gonna skip over your fan fiction on this.
I don't like Ewok hair. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

morlac wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:07 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:59 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm I mean, they do eat the captured stormtroopers.
I WISH that was all they did with captured stormtroopers. They're like the Reavers from Firefly, for god's sake.
I'm just gonna skip over your fan fiction on this.
I don't like Ewok hair. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Speaking of storm troopers did you all notice just how crap their armor protects them and how bad they STILL suck at their jobs? 1 shot each. If I was the head Sith Id have their trainer shot. And their little armorer too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Mandalorian covers this in its final episode of season 1.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I came across something interesting, depending on how you look at it.
Spoiler:
In the opening crawl, a message from Palpatine is referred to, but never heard in the movie. But they put it in Fortnite as part of a cross-promotional campaign where you can actually hear it. Now, given the severe lack of exposition for Palpatine's return, I'd think it would be something important enough to actually include in the movie itself. It's decisions like these that baffle me at times.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wasn't totally impressed with the wording in that crawl..."rages" comes to mind. Its almost like Disney hired kids to do some writing.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am I came across something interesting, depending on how you look at it.
Spoiler:
In the opening crawl, a message from Palpatine is referred to, but never heard in the movie. But they put it in Fortnite as part of a cross-promotional campaign where you can actually hear it. Now, given the severe lack of exposition for Palpatine's return, I'd think it would be something important enough to actually include in the movie itself. It's decisions like these that baffle me at times.
That was also amusingly mentioned in the Rise of Skywalker pitch meeting video El Guapo linked earlier in the thread.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The crawl itself was pretty dumb. Why spoil what could have been the most interesting twist in the movie? Sure, it still wouldn’t have made sense, but at least it would’ve been surprising.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:21 am I wasn't totally impressed with the wording in that crawl..."rages" comes to mind. Its almost like Disney hired kids to do some writing.
Definitely agreed. At its most basic, in the OT, the crawls were to get us quickly up to speed on what the characters were up to and what was happening in the galaxy. I don't think they were ever meant to drop the bomb on major plot developments that could be developed via the movie itself. But with this trilogy, I noticed first with TLJ and Snoke's reveal, who I felt was woefully underdeveloped, and I noticed it with RoTS and our favourite hooded villain. But yeah, I definitely felt the crawl was cringeworthy.
Spoiler:
Another observation: Hux's death seemed rather sudden, and again, it just feels like they loved to kill off characters just when they were getting interesting in these movies. It reminded me a lot of what they had done with Captain Phasma when her actress had previously boasted about getting a bigger role in TLJ. Hux could have been a really fun foil to the Empire had they let him live longer, but it seemed like too quick a turnaround between him helping the resistance and getting shot. I know it's probably just the result of poor scripting, but it had the effect of making it feel very cold-hearted.

As for Palp's broadcast, having that occur within the first few moments in the actual movie would have solved so much of the issues with the beginning of the movie for me. It would have given Kylo's search and urgent rush for the transcorder make much more sense.

One thing I was disappointed about triology-wise is that with this 3rd movie, we still didn't really know what they were fighting for. I get that one could argue that with SW it doesn't really matter, but Luke and Vader both had clear motivations of their own. Here it only ever felt like they were fighting because they were told to fight out of pure obligation, but I didn't really feel like there were any causes or motivations, other than Palpatine speaking about Revenge. And Revenge for what, btw? The Empire's destruction? That seems rather weak, especially given that he pops back into the picture on a different generation.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Why did Kylo need help taking over the galaxy. I thought he had that done by the end of The Last Jedi.
morlac

Post by morlac »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am Why did Kylo need help taking over the galaxy. I thought he had that done by the end of The Last Jedi.
He wasn't. He was looking for a Sith Temple and it's secrets to gain more power.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:13 am The crawl itself was pretty dumb. Why spoil what could have been the most interesting twist in the movie? Sure, it still wouldn’t have made sense, but at least it would’ve been surprising.
The commercials and trailers spoiled that already.
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

morlac wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 am
McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am Why did Kylo need help taking over the galaxy. I thought he had that done by the end of The Last Jedi.
He wasn't. He was looking for a Sith Temple and it's secrets to gain more power.
Unless we're talking about different parts of the movie, Kylo was looking for a Sith Temple only so he could find Palps. He viewed him as the only threat to his power. But then didn't kill him because Palps was able to offer him more power with that giant fleet.

A lot of that was included in the crawl that you Negative Nancy's are hating on.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Kylo wasn't looking for help, but it was what he was offered. It seemed odd to tempt someone who has control of the galaxy with help.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 am Kylo wasn't looking for help, but it was what he was offered. It seemed odd to tempt someone who has control of the galaxy with help.
Well, it helps if you inexplicably and suddenly have a fleet that is 100x larger than the fleet that the Empire was able to put together when they controlled the whole galaxy.
Black Lives Matter.
morlac

Post by morlac »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am
Unless we're talking about different parts of the movie, Kylo was looking for a Sith Temple only so he could find Palps. He viewed him as the only threat to his power. But then didn't kill him because Palps was able to offer him more power with that giant fleet.

A lot of that was included in the crawl that you Negative Nancy's are hating on.
Yes, he was looking to gain more power...what I said...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It strikes me as odd that at no point did someone in the Sith ranks say to someone, "So....we can create hundreds of thousands of world destroying dreadnoughts in just a few short years, but we can't actually use them until a mid 20s woman raised as a metal scrap salvage professional kills our current, perfectly capable leader and then assumes command without any experience as an evil dictator or, for that matter, have even been an Alderman?"
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 am Kylo wasn't looking for help, but it was what he was offered. It seemed odd to tempt someone who has control of the galaxy with help.
I think you're overstating how strong the First Order was. Certainly they were the most dominant power in the galaxy, but I don't think the First Order had complete control yet. I don't read a lot of the supplemental books and comics though, so maybe I'm wrong.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

morlac wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:51 am
msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

Yes, he was looking to gain more power...what I said...
I don't want to get into a super nerdy semantics argument. I just don't think it's accurate to say he was searching for more power. He wanted to eliminate a threat to his power. That's different (to me at least).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:54 am
I think you're overstating how strong the First Order was. Certainly they were the most dominant power in the galaxy, but I don't think the First Order had complete control yet. I don't read a lot of the supplemental books and comics though, so maybe I'm wrong.
It's not something that was explained super clearly in the trilogy, but the general impression is that the Republic was crippled in TFA via the destruction of the Hosnian system with the Republic government and fleet. Then the Resistance was all but wiped out in TLJ (reduced to the contents of the Millenium Falcon). So the impression I got was that the First Order hadn't yet conquered the galaxy, but that there was essentially no one in any position to stop them.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am It's not something that was explained super clearly in the trilogy, but the general impression is that the Republic was crippled in TFA via the destruction of the Hosnian system with the Republic government and fleet. Then the Resistance was all but wiped out in TLJ (reduced to the contents of the Millenium Falcon). So the impression I got was that the First Order hadn't yet conquered the galaxy, but that there was essentially no one in any position to stop them.
What we've seen in the trilogy didn't give any indication that the First Order had trouble. They lost their Starkiller planet, but brought in huge ships we had never seen. We have no idea how large they are, but based on what we saw in RoS, they were present, or could be present, virtually anywhere.

The Rebels were done after TLJ. There were only a handful of rebels left and they had no structure. What was there to oppose the First Order?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:09 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am It's not something that was explained super clearly in the trilogy, but the general impression is that the Republic was crippled in TFA via the destruction of the Hosnian system with the Republic government and fleet. Then the Resistance was all but wiped out in TLJ (reduced to the contents of the Millenium Falcon). So the impression I got was that the First Order hadn't yet conquered the galaxy, but that there was essentially no one in any position to stop them.
What we've seen in the trilogy didn't give any indication that the First Order had trouble. They lost their Starkiller planet, but brought in huge ships we had never seen. We have no idea how large they are, but based on what we saw in RoS, they were present, or could be present, virtually anywhere.

The Rebels were done after TLJ. There were only a handful of rebels left and they had no structure. What was there to oppose the First Order?
To be clear, I essentially agree with you. The impression after TLJ was that the galaxy was open, the First Order just needed to walk through the door.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First Order Resurgence / Resurgent (seen both names)class SD vs Imperial I class SD size. I think those in RoS were upgraded Imperial II.

Enlarge Image

I had trouble with the plot armor fleet. That huge fleet and they have 1 1/2 nav beacons to leave with. Why was old Palpi so damn stupid all the time. Id have at least one on every ship and 100 scattered around the place well defended. You can build a giant fleet with giant guns but no GPS? At least if you cant do that then have them wait outside the maze.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Saw this over new years. I had fun, but, like the previous movie, it left a weird aftertaste. It was kind of all over the place with the camera flashing between fifty different scenes all over the galaxy, introducing random characters that I've never seen before but treating them as if they've been there all along, and various random plot devices that caused me to do a double take. Including that part in the beginning where Poe and the Falcon crew escape the TIE Fighters.
Spoiler:
WTF is hyper skipping or whatever? And how come the TIE Fighters were able to follow them through hyperspace? Goddammit JJ.
As a result of the movie's ADD, I don't really remember much in the way of specific details. But then again, the only reason I remember every little detail of the original trilogy is because I watched those movies over and over and I was a teenager with a much better memory.

I did like ghost Luke putting Rey in her place when she went emo.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
WTF is hyper skipping or whatever? And how come the TIE Fighters were able to follow them through hyperspace? Goddammit JJ.

I had that same thought. I figure it was just hyperspacing a sec or so without a nav computing where you ended up. How he didn't end up in a star or building or planet I have no idea. And the Ties coming along was totally stupid. No way that happens. The Falcon wasn't opening a jump point and they just got sucked in. Hated that part.
I think Ill lower my score to 9/10
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:49 am Why was old Palpi so damn stupid all the time. Id have at least one on every ship and 100 scattered around the place well defended. You can build a giant fleet with giant guns but no GPS? At least if you cant do that then have them wait outside the maze.
To be fair, Palpi was still wired to ethernet. The Sith didn't even have WiFi for him.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:16 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:49 am Why was old Palpi so damn stupid all the time. Id have at least one on every ship and 100 scattered around the place well defended. You can build a giant fleet with giant guns but no GPS? At least if you cant do that then have them wait outside the maze.
To be fair, Palpi was still wired to ethernet. The Sith didn't even have WiFi for him.
You reckon his bathroom breaks simply meant it all running down his legs? If he had legs. I guess those sith fans cleaned him up a lot. Cant imagine the rash.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm Saw this over new years. I had fun, but, like the previous movie, it left a weird aftertaste. It was kind of all over the place with the camera flashing between fifty different scenes all over the galaxy, introducing random characters that I've never seen before but treating them as if they've been there all along, and various random plot devices that caused me to do a double take. Including that part in the beginning where Poe and the Falcon crew escape the TIE Fighters.
Spoiler:
As a result of the movie's ADD, I don't really remember much in the way of specific details. But then again, the only reason I remember every little detail of the original trilogy is because I watched those movies over and over and I was a teenager with a much better memory.

I did like ghost Luke putting Rey in her place when she went emo.
Spoiler:
I just assumed that they had put hyperdrives on TIE fighters now. Seems a normal enough technological evolution that it didn't bother me too much (especially compared to other things). ALTHOUGH they made a huge deal of the fact in TLJ that you can't track ships through hyperspace except through some special tracker that they had on the capital ship in TLJ - are they now saying that basically every fighter in the First Order has a hyperspace tracker?
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
My assumption was that new TIE Fighters have hyperdrives AND the tech to track others in hyperspace. <shrug>
I thought Poe was just jumping without a nav droid or nav plan, but I'm not sure how he kept ending up on planets since 99.99999999(infinite 9s)% of space is just empty space. I just thought it was done for the action sequence and not for the story element.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even if the Ties had hyperdrives and could track them both the Falcon and the Ties arrived at the same time together and the Ties never had time to figure out where they went or where to jump to. I just kinda ignored it soon as it happened.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Ice Pirates has a better chase sequence...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:59 pm
Spoiler:
My assumption was that new TIE Fighters have hyperdrives AND the tech to track others in hyperspace. <shrug>
I thought Poe was just jumping without a nav droid or nav plan, but I'm not sure how he kept ending up on planets since 99.99999999(infinite 9s)% of space is just empty space. I just thought it was done for the action sequence and not for the story element.
Pfff, JJ Abrams would never make a decision to boost an action sequence at the expense of a story element.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of technology, doesn't anyone find it odd how the technology has more or less stayed the same? For the prequels, Lucas wanted the technology to feel like like it was part of a different era. In that sense, you would think it would have evolved since the end of ROTJ, but aside from a few improvements, everything has stayed the same.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Ice Pirates has a better chase sequence...
THE best. TIiiiiiiiime.
Speaking of technology, doesn't anyone find it odd how the technology has more or less stayed the same? For the prequels, Lucas wanted the technology to feel like like it was part of a different era. In that sense, you would think it would have evolved since the end of ROTJ, but aside from a few improvements, everything has stayed the same.
Ive said this for decades. Ive played the games and read the books. We go from horse and buggy to the moon in 70 years. Yet that far far away universe has the same tech for many many thousands of years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm okay with that. In the Star Wars universe technology had not made many noticeable leaps in 1,000 years or so judging by the books/games. The good thing about that is that movies set 500 years prior to A New Hope could still feel like Star Wars.