Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Post by pr0ner »

I didn't see a thread for this, but there's news to be had!

Colin Treverrow has been fired as writer and director, as Kathleen Kennedy continues to micromanage Star Wars.
Last edited by pr0ner on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Re: Star Wars Episode 9

Post by pr0ner »

And in disappointing news, JJ Abrams is returning to write and direct Episode 9.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

On the one hand, thus far the Disney regime seems to be bringing a basic level of storytelling competence that was missing during the Lucas prequel years.

On the other hand (thus far) they seem pretty resolutely opposed to treading new and interesting ground.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

At this point, I'm amazed we haven't heard of any massive reshoots or angst about Rian Johnson's Episode 8.

The writing was on the wall when they let Tony Gilroy supervise the reshoots of Rogue One rather than Gareth Edwards, and it's gotten bolder with the firings of Lord/Miller and Treverrow - do what Kathleen Kennedy says, exactly, or get shitcanned. This is why we got the "safe" choices of Ron Howard and JJ Abrams.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I do get the logic behind playing it super safe on Episode 7. It was the first Star Wars movie since the prequels, and if it shat the bed, that could kill (or at least substantially diminish the profitability of) the renewed Star Wars industry that Disney was building.

But with Episode 7 a success... they should at least be taking some risks and doing *some* interesting things, other than crank out by-the-number main films along with backstory films for everyone from Han Solo to Aunt Beru.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo wrote:backstory films for everyone from Han Solo to Aunt Beru.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you're going with an Aunt Beru movie, you have to give Bonnie Piesse first crack:

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I was thinking of that Aunt Beru article when I was posting. The joke resting on the fact that Disney seems intent on mining every existing character from the OT rather than do something even marginally novel.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Suck it Rian Johnson. The fans have Spoken.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm Teaser trailer.
I'm a sucker. Can't wait.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LANDO!!
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm Suck it Rian Johnson. The fans have Spoken.
What the real fans want is a meta steamy slash fiction where Rian & JJ turn out to be a couple.
As foreshadowed in the Last Jedi, the series will culminate in a sweaty shirtless wrestling match for a light saber.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's going to be pretty funny if each installment in the "main" film series is just undoing the main plot points of the previous movie.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm Suck it Rian Johnson. The fans have Spoken.
:roll:
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm Teaser trailer.
Liked that more than I expected to.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, we're definitely back in JJ Abrams territory. I look forward to being simultaneously entertained by his craft and disappointed by his commitment to re-living the past.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This will most likely be the first of the Episodes that I don't see in the theater.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 am Yeah, I was thinking of that Aunt Beru article when I was posting. The joke resting on the fact that Disney seems intent on mining every existing character from the OT rather than do something even marginally novel.
Although if you think about it, back when I was reading Star Wars books, about 50% of them were about random characters from the Mos Eisley cantina. Want a book about the dude covered in white hair with a coffee stirrer in his mouth? Yep. The guy that gets his arm chopped off by Obi-Wan? Gotcha covered. But at least the other 50% actually developed new characters and moved the timeline forward.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Who decides if something is canon or not? Do they have a committee or something?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No gilk, no ticket.

Also, Rian Johnson made a decent Star Wars film. He just didn't make a fan version of a Star Wars film. I liked it.

...and it had gilk.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:52 pm No gilk, no ticket.

Also, Rian Johnson made a decent Star Wars film. He just didn't make a fan version of a Star Wars film. I liked it.

...and it had gilk.
This is accurate.

Also about the gilk, though I think it's reasonable to think that they're holding back footage of the gilk from the trailer in order to heighten the impact.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 am Yeah, I was thinking of that Aunt Beru article when I was posting. The joke resting on the fact that Disney seems intent on mining every existing character from the OT rather than do something even marginally novel.
Although if you think about it, back when I was reading Star Wars books, about 50% of them were about random characters from the Mos Eisley cantina. Want a book about the dude covered in white hair with a coffee stirrer in his mouth? Yep. The guy that gets his arm chopped off by Obi-Wan? Gotcha covered. But at least the other 50% actually developed new characters and moved the timeline forward.
Yeah, I think there's reasonable evidence that that kind of thing is what a large chunk of people want, hence a lot of the pushback to TLJ.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:52 pm No gilk, no ticket.

...and it had gilk.
This fan liked Johnson's version.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You just felt vindicated after years of fan fiction featuring gilk.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'll try to remember to bring some of my home brewed version to the next Octocon.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Personally I'm excited for the next trilogy, with Abrams and Johnson alternating turns:

Episode X: Psych! Rey's not a Skywalker After All
Episode XI: Seriously, She Totally Is Though
Episode XII: J/K
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:I do get the logic behind playing it super safe on Episode 7. It was the first Star Wars movie since the prequels, and if it shat the bed, that could kill (or at least substantially diminish the profitability of) the renewed Star Wars industry that Disney was building.

But with Episode 7 a success... they should at least be taking some risks and doing *some* interesting things, other than crank out by-the-number main films along with backstory films for everyone from Han Solo to Aunt Beru.
Aunt Beru actually survived A New Hope. She was always prepared for the day Stormtroopers would stop by the moisture farm because she was actually a notorious Outer Rim crime lord in hiding. Now on Disney+ you can watch as she claws her way back to power.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:49 pm Who decides if something is canon or not? Do they have a committee or something?
I'm pretty sure there actually *was* a committee, or at least a group of editors who approved every Star Wars-branded book/comic/game for the direction of its official story content. I believe I even read an interview with one of these Lucas corporate editors back when Disney decanonized the whole Extended Universe.

Back then, Lucas had the last word on everything. I don't know if he retains any control now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scripts go through a rigorous inspection process:

1) How many action figures can we get out of the story?
2) What kind of accessories can we market for the action figures?
3) Will we be able to license any of the characters to theme parks?
4) Will we be able to license character costumes?
1285) Does the story make sense?
He won. Period.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm
El Guapo wrote:I do get the logic behind playing it super safe on Episode 7. It was the first Star Wars movie since the prequels, and if it shat the bed, that could kill (or at least substantially diminish the profitability of) the renewed Star Wars industry that Disney was building.

Aunt Beru actually survived A New Hope. She was always prepared for the day Stormtroopers would stop by the moisture farm because she was actually a notorious Outer Rim crime lord in hiding. Now on Disney+ you can watch as she claws her way back to power.
Those were actually the corpses of storm troopers she killed and stripped of armor. She even bashed their teeth in to confuse the dental records.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Going to be a weird movie visit to me. Wife was with me for the others. Going alone will be difficult and thats the easiest word I could think of. Dont know how Ill do it. But to not see the last one after the others....ugh. She would go if she was here and she'd want me to. Ill see it somehow I suppose. Sigh.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I can't believe nobody has ever attempted a documentary exploring the biology of various creatures in the show. For example, what species is Yoda? Are they all long-lived? Are all Hutts as massive as Jabba, and if so, how did they come to evolve as such? What are their mating habits like? Has a Wookie ever shaved his or her whole body and worn a business suit?

Except for animated teddy bears, why does it seems humans are the only species that gather in numbers, while all others are apparent loners?
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I liked The Last Jedi, my problem is not with individual films but the fact that nobody sat down and said, "We probably need to at least have a rough outline of the main plot points and story arcs for this entire trilogy." The Last Jedi was fine in and of itself. As the middle of a trilogy, it was a train wreck - something that took me some time to figure out.

So yes, I expect this film to be full of cheesy retconning by Abrams to right this ship.

Here's my prediction:
Spoiler:
We find out that the Emperor is still alive and well due to his ability to Force transfer himself between bodies. Snoke being the most recent vessel, whose plans to complete the corruption of Kylo were cut short due to his death in TLJ. This gives us a big bad, and resolves the whole Snoke debacle.

I have two thoughts on the "Rise of Skywalker" title. The most obvious (and most cheesy, so Abrams will probably do it) is that Rey is actually Luke's daughter and Kylo was lying to her in TLJ about her parentage. I'd prefer that Skywalker actually refer to Kylo, and the rise referring to his redemption from the Dark Side as he and Rey join forces to defeat the Emperor. This would also nicely mirror the original trilogy and Vader's redemption to overthrow the Emperor.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I don’t want to accuse them of actually having a plan for the stories, but it seems they went a fair bit out of their way to show Kylo struggling with good/evil for him to just be thoroughly evil and not have a redemption.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm I can't believe nobody has ever attempted a documentary exploring the biology of various creatures in the show. For example, what species is Yoda? Are they all long-lived? Are all Hutts as massive as Jabba, and if so, how did they come to evolve as such? What are their mating habits like? Has a Wookie ever shaved his or her whole body and worn a business suit?

Except for animated teddy bears, why does it seems humans are the only species that gather in numbers, while all others are apparent loners?

Because the others are more expensive to produce. :tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm I can't believe nobody has ever attempted a documentary exploring the biology of various creatures in the show. For example, what species is Yoda? Are they all long-lived? Are all Hutts as massive as Jabba, and if so, how did they come to evolve as such? What are their mating habits like? Has a Wookie ever shaved his or her whole body and worn a business suit?

Wookieepedia probably has 50,000 words on each of your questions.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Redfive wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 pm I don’t want to accuse them of actually having a plan for the stories, but it seems they went a fair bit out of their way to show Kylo struggling with good/evil for him to just be thoroughly evil and not have a redemption.
Prediction: Rey veers to the Dark Side and Kylo saves her from it sacrifices himself to save her from it.

Boom. Canon.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yeah, what if Rise of Skywalker refers to him? He’s a Solo I guess, but this is 2019.
Last edited by Redfive on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hyena wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Those were actually the corpses of storm troopers she killed and stripped of armor. She even bashed their teeth in to confuse the dental records.
She actually grafted Uncle Owen's teeth to one of the bodies because she's that good! And she was playing the long game with Luke, resulting in him taking out her competition, Jabba the Hutt.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?