Halloween Costume

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Halloween Costume

Post by Isgrimnur »

IndieWire
Sexy versions of pop culture costumes are a proud Halloween tradition going all the way back to the first sexy pilgrims. But the clothing provider Yandy.com acknowledged Friday that they crossed a line when offering up their twist on a 2018 pop culture favorite: the Sexy Handmaid. Or, in their non-copyright-infringing language, the “Brave Red Maiden,” costing just $64.95.
The costume attracted no shortage of criticism online, since it created a sexualized version of a costume that, in the world of “The Handmaid’s Tale,” represents the literal sexual enslavement of women by the government — not the most erotic of concepts. The response was perhaps best summed up by a retweet from Margaret Atwood, the author of the original novel:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh lord this new world.

Anyways hard to believe Halloween is here again. Seems just a couple months back it was here. Time moves too fast.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This year I'm going as a redneck.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 pm This year I'm going as a redneck.
I'm not giving you candy if you don't dress up.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When do kids trick-or-treat? Saturday the 27th, Wed. the 31st, or both?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:04 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 pm This year I'm going as a redneck.
I'm not giving you candy if you don't dress up.
r.

I look like an older fatter version of my avatar.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:56 am When do kids trick-or-treat? Saturday the 27th, Wed. the 31st, or both?
Why would you trick or treat in the 27th?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:56 am When do kids trick-or-treat? Saturday the 27th, Wed. the 31st, or both?
Why would you trick or treat in the 27th?
Probably because Halloween is a school night this year. But it doesn't matter, Halloween is more important than school!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The 27th is all parties. I think we have 3 and a sleepover.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You're going to a Halloween sleepover?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In Nevada, Halloween was a day off from school. It’s Statehood Day.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

coopasonic wrote:Probably because Halloween is a school night this year. But it doesn't matter, Halloween is more important than school!
I never understood the argument to move it for school because Halloween falls on a school night 71% of the time. Yet people around here always ask as if it's the exception rather than the rule.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:02 am
coopasonic wrote:Probably because Halloween is a school night this year. But it doesn't matter, Halloween is more important than school!
I never understood the argument to move it for school because Halloween falls on a school night 71% of the time. Yet people around here always ask as if it's the exception rather than the rule.
Parents of small children who want to take them around while it's still light out have trouble getting home from work on time. I'm going to assume that they will be out Saturday night with the main event being on Wednesday. Actually, this Sat. is supposed to be a washout here...so Wed. it is.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Literally no one trick or treats any night except the 31st around here.

No. One.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that different areas have different customs, but it's still strange to hear it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've never seen trick or treating in my neighborhood on any night other than the 31st. Not sure I've seen that in the greater Boston area either, for that matter.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Trick-or-treating is completely dead around here. When I was a kid in this general area, you'd be out all night and would end up with a grocery sack of candy. When the kids were little, we'd go to every house participating, be out for an hour and a half and get a half pumpkin bucket full. The last time they went trick or treating, we were out for 30 minutes and they got a half a dozen pieces from the four houses that were actually involved. It doesn't seem to have picked up in the four years or so since the kids stopped going.

The kids never understood why trick-or-treating was actually supposed to be fun. It didn't help when it went from something you did on Halloween night after dark to something you did for three nights straight while it was still light.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
raydude

Post by raydude »

I live in a townhome subdivision with tons of families and Halloween trick or treating has become something of a major event. We have mini parks every few blocks and the neighbors of those parks decorate them, dress up, and man the parks as a mini-theme park. One of them is Peter pan themed, with a wooden ship and kids dressed up as lost boys and adults as different Neverland characters. Another park is zombie themed, with the appropriate zombies roaming in the middle. Kids and adults just walk around the park edges and take in the costumes and displays. And there's always someone handing out candy.

In fact, every house seems to want to give away candy and people even come in from outside the neighborhood because they know the candy flows like water here.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A lot of the suburban communities around here officially schedule trick-or-treating on the nearest Saturday. Chicago itself doesn't do that - it's too big to coordinate that, I guess. Weekend trick-or-treating would certainly make things easier logistically, as we're trying to figure out how to give the kids a decent shot at gathering some loot while still planning dinner and getting everyone to bed a reasonable hour.

But at least this frees us up to go Spooky Science at the Museum of Science and Industry on Saturday. The kids always love going to the "rocket museum", as they call it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am You're going to a Halloween sleepover?
I wish. Dropping the kiddo off at one, putting in some time, and then moving on. The final party includes a chili cook-off and it's in walking distance (no driving!) so I'm hoping to be drunky and farty by midnight.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our subdivision has a 3 hour window from 4-7 on Halloween. Some people have reported as many as 300 kids; l don't think we had nearly that many last year but we did run out of candy bought for this purpose and needed to break out the emergency gummies to tide us over. This year I'll likely overbuy (especially if the current forecast of rainy plays out); but any surplus can follow my MiL back to the Philippines at the end of November.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

raydude wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:02 pm I live in a townhome subdivision with tons of families and Halloween trick or treating has become something of a major event. We have mini parks every few blocks and the neighbors of those parks decorate them, dress up, and man the parks as a mini-theme park. One of them is Peter pan themed, with a wooden ship and kids dressed up as lost boys and adults as different Neverland characters. Another park is zombie themed, with the appropriate zombies roaming in the middle. Kids and adults just walk around the park edges and take in the costumes and displays. And there's always someone handing out candy.

In fact, every house seems to want to give away candy and people even come in from outside the neighborhood because they know the candy flows like water here.
Awesome. Sounds like a great community to be a part of.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Stuart and mother halloween costumes

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So cute! Trigger your neighbors, and take their candy! So much winning! :mrgreen:
Last edited by em2nought on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, one of them is happy at least. Hope it was worth the "likes."

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm Well, one of them is happy at least. Hope it was worth the "likes."
I think she's just "in character". :wink:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote:When do kids trick-or-treat? Saturday the 27th, Wed. the 31st, or both?
Need to budget time to put the mines out?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:10 pm
Kraken wrote:When do kids trick-or-treat? Saturday the 27th, Wed. the 31st, or both?
Need to keep my cats indoors, and make it our night out. Halloween is notoriously dangerous for black cats.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm hoping to be drunky and farty by midnight.
Horrifyingly awesome.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:48 pm
Need to keep my cats indoors, and make it our night out. Halloween is notoriously dangerous for black cats.
We had a beautiful long hair black cat. I brought Mrs Marple in every Halloween to be safe. Then about 5 years ago it was 2 weeks before Halloween and I was already thinking about bringing her in when she didn't show up to eat. She never did. No idea what happened.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:48 pm
We had a beautiful long hair black cat. I brought Mrs Marple in every Halloween to be safe. Then about 5 years ago it was 2 weeks before Halloween and I was already thinking about bringing her in when she didn't show up to eat. She never did. No idea what happened.
I try to bring our guys in every night. Tiberius always cooperates. Every now and then Augustus decides that he's staying out. He lets me know when he's going to do that by coming to the door, then turning and walking away. I worry that one of these mornings he just won't reappear. But, what can you do? Imprison them forever? Gus gonna be Gus.

I do confine them when there's a storm coming, and on Halloween, and on the 4th. They don't like it but sometimes you just gotta say "because I'm the human, and I said so." Anyway, I'm keeping them in on both Saturday and Wednesday.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 pm Literally no one trick or treats any night except the 31st around here.

No. One.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that different areas have different customs, but it's still strange to hear it.
The Saturday Halloween Movement
Leave it to the calendar to put a major cramp in trick-or-treating.

Halloween falls on a Wednesday this year. Hump day, smack in the middle of the workweek. Hoping to help a child put the finishing touches on a Super Mario outfit? Better not get caught at the office. Planning to turn in early for school the next day? Better put down the Skittles.

A solution to this irksome scheduling has been suggested by the Halloween Industry Association, which represents companies whose interest in ensuring Americans can properly spook one another each year is hardly opaque. The group, which also calls itself the Halloween and Costume Association, is petitioning President Trump to move Halloween to the last Saturday of October.

It’s called the ‘‘Saturday Halloween Movement,’’ and it might just be the cause that can unite the country.

Who, after all, even knows why Halloween is observed on Oct. 31? The timing of the celebration reflects its origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when ghosts of the dead were believed to return and walk the earth at the end of the harvest and on the cusp of winter, as the History Channel explains.

The Halloween industry says there are now more pressing concerns.

‘‘It’s time for a Safer, Longer, Stress-Free Celebration!’’ the petition declares.

The petition marshals some grave statistics to prove its point. Each year, there are 3,800 Halloween-related injuries, the industry warns. Most parents don’t incorporate ‘‘high-visibility aids’’ into their outfits, the petition notes, and most children don’t carry flashlights. Seventy percent of parents leave their children all alone to trick-or-treat, according to the industry, while more than half of millennials say Halloween is their favorite holiday. Why, the Halloween Industry is asking, ‘‘cram it into 2 rushed evening weekday hours when it deserves a full day!?!’’

Nearly 6,000 signatories seem to agree.
It won't happen here today due to the weather...but Halloweekend is a thing. Or will be if the industry has its way.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I for one won't stand for the continued attacks on the pagan way of life. Samhain is October 31st and that's the way it needs to stay. The Souls of The Dead don't care about our calendar conveniences.

Next they'll be trying to convince us Baby Jesus wasn't born on December 25th just to give themselves a 3 day weekend every year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know at least a dozen people who would be saying exactly that. Then again, they might appreciate being able to do ritual outside without trick-or-treaters...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Saturday, downtown Aurora had trick-or-treating at the few participating businesses still there (no shit...there are entire blocks of vacant store fronts or not-kid-friendly smoke shops). Took the kids there anyway en route to a Halloween party. My princess refused to let her shoes touch pavement unless we were at a welcoming business (so I had to carry her) and despite saying otherwise my son really couldn't see well through his Spiderman cowl.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The kid went Kerbal this year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks more Motorcycle rider to me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:39 pm Looks more Motorcycle rider to me.
wrong kid...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And that kid looks like he's from Halo.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait wait its around here somewhere. Oh here it is ....... :roll:

:)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:15 am Wait wait its around here somewhere. Oh here it is ....... :roll:
?