Apple Event 9/12/17

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: Apple Event 9/12/17

Post by RunningMn9 »

naednek wrote:Seems like the X is already behind the times in many areas compared to the Galaxy s8 and s8+. Glad I stuck with it.
Does the s8/s8+ come with access to the Apple App Store? No? Then no thanks. But I appreciate that you fought the urge to enter a thread that has no concern for you at all for at least a few hours. ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
naednek

Post by naednek »

RunningMn9 wrote:
naednek wrote:Seems like the X is already behind the times in many areas compared to the Galaxy s8 and s8+. Glad I stuck with it.
Does the s8/s8+ come with access to the Apple App Store? No? Then no thanks. But I appreciate that you fought the urge to enter a thread that has no concern for you at all for at least a few hours. ;)
I'm not sure what the apple store has anything to do with anything. But I do think it's wise to compare what's on the market and what's coming to the market.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The App Store, which is the primary motivating factor of most iOS users. A Galaxy S8 could provide handjobs on the hour and it wouldn't matter.

Not because anyone is a lemming, but because the commitment was made to the superior ecosystem, rather than fleeting comparisons of hardware spec sheets.

As noted above, there is certainly nothing revolutionary about the X (compared to modern Android devices), but that misses the point. It's not just about the hardware.

And yes, I know you think that Android apps are just as good. There are plenty of threads for that.
Make up bags of change
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Let's just discuss the new phones and keep the my phone is better than your phone for another day. Both systems have their merits and people choose one or the other for their own reasons. Neither is 'better' than the other.

I'm disappointed in the release date for the 10. I'm ready now (ready enough that I sold my phone last week). That said, I wish the 10 came without the extra expense of face ID. Unlocking your phone with it looks slower (having to swipe to open) and gestures aren't as reliable as a button. It's something that looks like it's nice but if it costs and extra $50 that's more than it's worth. I do love the screen to bezel ratio. That's really the only thing in the 10 that I want over the 8. I very rarely take a selfie and I can't see ever using the animoji's other than to entertain my kids. Plus, as Meal said, I think it's going to have some hiccups. The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of dual cameras on the regular 8. Several leak sites thought the 8 was going to get dual cameras like the 8+. I believe the AR stuff needed the dual cameras.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah the release date for the X is a problem. Gotta believe that's going to have a pretty sizable negative effect on the early numbers for 8/8+.

My son is buying himself an 8, so I will spend some time with that and see if that's the direction I want to go before buying a new pocket computer.
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote:I'm a huge fan of my 7+ over my 6s
Why? Wife and I still use our 1st gen 6, and I have not felt the need to upgrade yet (either from lack of features, or speed, or space), but then I don't really keep up with phone tech. When I feel my phone is sluggish, or can't run current apps that use well, that's usually when I start looking at pricing on whatever the current (or last) gen model is.

Would love to know what the real world niceties are on the 7 that make you say that (as opposed to a spec sheet).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

No problemo.

I think the big thing (ha!) is that I migrated to the toaster-sized phone. I had been extremely worried about the fit of the Plus in my pockets but (for me) it turned out to be a non issue. On top of that the 7+ came out with a pretty big differentiator in terms of photography, allowing for Portrait shots (with the software bokeh). Maybe not a big deal to some, but really great for moi.

Finally, I don't know know the spec sheets that closely, but the 7+ seems so much snappier and reliable compared to my 6S. It feels like (and the engineer in me hates speaking in these terms...) the 7+ is at some sort of sweet spot in terms of processor vs. software and the 6s was... not. MHS has been using my 6S without complaint — though she's not the type to whine about this sort of thing — after graduating from an SE (which had been a source of complaints).

The 7+ has been my favorite Apple device to date by a large margin. I do look forward to the iPhone X½ ("XS"?) for the form factor and especially the OLED benefits, but am not clamoring for them.

Additional things which make my comparison a bit orangey to appley is that I went to the full 256GB flash storage option, which enabled me the convenience of carrying my full music library without curating on-device playlists. Also, at the time I moved to the 7+ I eliminated my FOMO due to battery shortages, so I haven't been running with a battery case around my phone (somewhat mitigating the in-pocket form factor discrepancy between devices). The 7+ was purported to come with an additional +1 hour battery life vs. the 7 (or the 6S) and I've found that to be plenty (even with the constant bluetooth communication between iPhone and Apple Watch).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting, thanks! Sounds like a model for me to migrate to if one of ours dies in the short to mid term. When AT&T was still subsidizing our upgrades, I would get the latest/greatest (for both of us) as soon as we were eligible. Now that that is not an option, I foresee us skipping a few versions, and buying not the latest gen, but the one prior when we do upgrade (similar to my computer hardware philosophy in general - video cards, CPU, etc).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote:When AT&T was still subsidizing our upgrades, I would get the latest/greatest (for both of us) as soon as we were eligible. Now that that is not an option, I foresee us skipping a few versions,
FYI, unless something has changed the AT&T Next plan is the old subsidized phone model in all but name. They word it like you have to trade in your phone when you do your next upgrade, but that's only if you opt for the upgrade at the 18 month mark. If you wait until your phone is paid in full at the 24 month mark, it's yours to keep.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Subsidized as in cheaper. Now they're just 0%APR lease to own plans at full price.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm going to try and get the 8+ tonight. 64 gb is enough for me. Space grey and a leather case is what I'm hoping for. Now to try to stay up long enough to do it.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Subsidized as in cheaper. Now they're just 0%APR lease to own plans at full price.
That's what they were before, it's just that you never stopped paying for the phone. When Verizon switched to the new "unsubsidized" model, my bill was substantially lower since all phones were paid off already.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Verizon may have lowered their rates at that point. AT&T sure never did.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote:Verizon may have lowered their rates at that point. AT&T sure never did.
I've watched my bill decline as each of the phones I purchased was paid off? :?:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My last phone purchases were prior to the end of subsidies. I have never had a line item on my bill that represents a monthly charge for a phone.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Apple TV 4k (32GB) ordered.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Prices on the 7 dropped significantly from what they were earlier in the week. I think it's at least $200 cheaper than when I checked on Monday with my carrier (Verizon). However, the 8 isn't much cheaper to finance either. I have to believe the 7 will be like living in the future, upgrading from a 5, so that's likely my plan here. I barely use my 5 so the 7 is likely still way more than I need.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

So tired. Glad I'm not on the east coast.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:My last phone purchases were prior to the end of subsidies. I have never had a line item on my bill that represents a monthly charge for a phone.
I noticed towards the end of the era of subsidies that if you were on contract but hadn't upgraded your phone in two or more years, they started giving a $25 per month (per line) discount. When they scrapped those plans altogether, the bill went way down, as long as you weren't financing a phone.
Make up bags of change
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The Meal wrote:Apple TV 4k (32GB) ordered.
Can you sell me on Apple TV? I have a TiVo, a dedicated blu-ray player, and a PS4 hooked up to my TV, all three of which have access to streaming services. What does Apple TV bring to the table for me that those don't, aside from making it easier for me to display photos and videos from my phone on the TV (which would be really nice to be able to do).
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

wonderpug wrote:
Can you sell me on Apple TV? I have a TiVo, a dedicated blu-ray player, and a PS4 hooked up to my TV, all three of which have access to streaming services. What does Apple TV bring to the table for me that those don't, aside from making it easier for me to display photos and videos from my phone on the TV (which would be really nice to be able to do).
The only significant difference in streaming movie content for Apple TV is special features. I don't know why Amazon can't catch up on this score, but when you buy a movie on iTunes and watch it on AppleTV you get a menu within the movie that let's you select scenes, special features, etc. (just like on a disc). Amazon's service doesn't have a similar system, so if you want to watch special features you have to fast forward to the end of the selection and search for what you want. Totally sucks in comparison. I also own a lot of HD content on iTunes, so it's really nice it will automatically upgrade for free to 4K. If neither of those things seem like a big deal to you, I don't think there is a compelling reason to buy Apple TV.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

wonderpug wrote:
Can you sell me on Apple TV?
Probably not. My use case is one where we regularly stream things directly from our iPhones or iPads, so the ability to go straight into our TV (via AirPlay) is very convenient. Additionally we regularly have folks over to our home and like to play music in many rooms at the same time, and the Apple TV facilities that very well. Finally, this device will act as our dedicated HomeKit server (which can be accomplished in non Apple TV ways, but not very elegantly). We've got well over 30 connected devices in our home, so this is a pretty big deal.
wp wrote:I have a TiVo, a dedicated blu-ray player, and a PS4 hooked up to my TV, all three of which have access to streaming services. What does Apple TV bring to the table for me that those don't, aside from making it easier for me to display photos and videos from my phone on the TV (which would be really nice to be able to do).
We also have a PS4 connected to our Smart TV, which would work as a streaming playback device, but I get very irritated in using such a clunky system (I never remember what does what when using a gaming controller to operate movie playback). It takes five times longer to get the PS4 set up to run a movie compared to the Apple TV (which I enable with a voice command through an Alexa unit, a Harmony Hub, and the Yonomi iPhone app). (Our PS4 also operates as our blueray playback device, which is not something I particularly enjoy as well.) The SmartTV inherently allows for Netflix playback, Amazon Prime Movie playback, and many other streaming options (YouTube, Twitch, Hulu, etc.), but not all. We have a PokerGO subscription, for instance, which is generally intended for watching streaming content either on a desktop or on a mobile device. But since MHS and I enjoy watching this stuff together, neither of those device options is very appealing. There's probably a cheaper Amazon Firestick solution which would work, but combined with our other uses, the Apple TV makes a lot more sense. (The SmartTV's built-in browser does not run flash applications, which makes it pretty useless as a desktop equivalent for showing this sort of content.) PokerGo is not the only app which falls into this category. We'll watch 70+ NHL Gamecenter Live events over the next 8 months, and that falls into this category as well.

There's no question the Apple TV is an expensive convenience device. If someone is on the fence for owning one, there's probably many other cheaper ways to accomplish what it does. But if you're entrenched into the Apple device ownership, then the AirPlay features it provides (along with some QoS settings in your home router), make for a pretty damn seamless non-traditional (cord-cutting) TV experience.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I think the charge for my recent order was refunded. My bank account is about $1000 higher than it was yesterday and I don't see any charges from Apple. It had been charged when I pre-ordered. My order still says it will be here Friday. Does Apple put a hold on that money, refund it, and then charge when the pre-order ships? It's just kind of weird.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slowing down old phones
A new study is backing up long held suspicions that Apple slows down older models of its iPhones to encourage users to buy a new release.

The U.S. study analysed worldwide searches for 'iPhone slow' and found that the search term spiked significantly around the time of new iPhone launch.

It then compared those results with similar searches for the term 'Samsung Galaxy slow', and discovered the term was unaffected by new releases from Samsung.

The study, compiled by Harvard University PhD student Laura Trucco, follows claims that the Cupertino-based company is deliberately sabotaging its old products.
Of course, this is a similar methodology to Google Flu Trends, which Google killed due to bad results.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Correllation <> Causation. That article is a joke. The only thing the study could even hope to prove is that the searches went up. Even that is suspect as there is no methodology in the article. The article goes on and uses individual stories to 'support' it's argument. The article came out in 2014.

Apple supports it's phones far longer than any Android manufacturer. I have an iphone 5 that was released in 2012. It has been updated up until this year. The Note 2 which also came out in 2012? It got one version of Android so it was updated for a year. The Nexus 4? It did better. The last update for that was 2015. The iPhone 5? July of 2017. Almost 5 years. Android is absolutely pathetic in comparison. If you are going to troll at least put some effort into it.

Finally, I've already stated that we keep the my phone is better than your phone crap out of this thread. That goes for any phone thread. No one is going to be convinced that Android or iOS is better because someone goes into a thread about a specific phone and says that phone sucks because it doesn't have X. Get over it. Honestly, I think android vs ios should just be a thread in R&P the way some of you act about it. It is a phone. They're all awesome. Even the $200 Moto G is a fantastic phone. The note 8 is a phenomenal phone. The iphone 8 is too. Every phone choice is a good choice.

Now, getting this back on track.

I got my 8+ at 5:58 today. I dropped it at 6:10. I picked it up to see what looked like a crack. Thankfully, it was just a dog hair. For about 5 seconds I was really bummed. The glass back is more slippery than either the jet black or the matte black aluminum. Significantly much more so.

Wireless charging works with the Nokia charger I got back when the Lumia 920 was released. I'm sure it will work on the Samsung charger I have at work. The back is very pretty. It's very much gray. I'll rarely see it as I got a Nomad Leather case off Amazon (used) for $14. I love the Apple leather case but at $49, it's a bit pricey. The Nomad has two spots for credit cards. I also got a second nomad without the card slots for $7. I like the idea of not having to carry a wallet but the card slots make it very wobbly on a table. They also give it a bit of a rounded back that's nice for extra grip. If it's an issue I'll just swap out the one without the card slots.

The camera is really, really nice. The improvements they made in portrait mode on the plus are great. A lot of the reason I buy new phones is for camera improvements. I bought the Nokia 920 for the OIS and camera quality. I got my Note 4 for the same reasons. I got the GS 7 for the camera and water resistance. In all cases the first photo I took with them made me think the money was well spent. The same goes for the iPhone 8+. I took my first photo and I love it.

This was taken in my kitchen at night without much light. Studio mode.

It's not perfect and I could do a better job with an old SLR and portrait lens but it looks great for the amount of effort it took (almost none). I just wanted to capture the orange cheeto dust on my sons teeth and it did a great job for that. There is a nice bokeh, the colors are good, and the eyes really pop. There are some issues with the hair (besides the fact that it's a mess) but that's one of the only flaws.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just got my new iPhone 7 Plus and I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing it back for a refund. I've had the device 3 hours now and it refuses to stay connected to my WiFi. At first I thought maybe my horrific download speeds were forcing the phone to switch to data as part of data restore, but that option was disabled. After poking around some more it seems that there are other devices in the house that seemingly don't like each other - namely my wife's work laptop and my new iPhone. When she initiates a wireless connection, it kicks my iPhone off the LAN. When I manually reconnect to the network it knocks her laptop off the LAN. EDIT: Just tested with another device - a PC with a wireless card. Same exactly thing. You can't explain that.

5 year old iPhone? No problems. Brand new technology? Can't play nice with others. I'm actually surprised this is an issue for a device that's a year old (well, mostly) but if you Google "iPhone 7 drops WiFi" there's all kinds of alleged solutions offered (none I've tried worked).

It's a beautiful phone though.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Just a disclaimer that the iPhone 7 Plus is not brand new technology. ;)

The issue is almost certainly pilot error, but that doesn’t mean discovering how it’s pilot error isn’t more trouble than it’s worth. But taking it back for a refund (rather than replacement), that’s a total old man move. :)
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have never been more enraged at a device than I am right now. The random disconnects are intolerable and if it wasn't for the dozen or so other people online posting the exact same (unresolved) problem I probably would have folded this thing in half and tossed it into my fireplace. It makes absolutely no sense. Just drops the WiFi and refuses to acknowledge that I've entered a password. No, that's incorrect. No, that's incorrect. No, that's incorrect. Oh? That's correct. I have no idea how this could be pilot error as it's me literally entering a password to connect to Wifi. There's no configuring or port stretching, just me connecting...and then disconnecting.

This device has one week. If this continues, I will absolutely hike my pants up to my nipples and return this phone in person.

EDIT: Tomorrow I go to work and I'll be able to connect to their WiFi. I guess that will help rule out my home network vs the phone as the actual problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If there's anything I've learned about your home internet, Smoove, it's the your network is always the problem.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It probably is. The phone is probably confused and wondering why it's being asked to connect to a network that is clearly operating at speeds 25 years in the past.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm pretty sure it doesn't even recognize those speeds as a network. It probably thinks it is doing you a favor.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote:It probably is. The phone is probably confused and wondering why it's being asked to connect to a network that is clearly operating at speeds 25 years in the past.
Maybe try disabling Settings > Cellular > WiFi Assist? It "automatically uses cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was my first guess as to what was happening, but alas, it was never enabled. I've been connected now to the network for 12+ hours without an incident. However, there's been no new devices trying to get onto the network and no data transfer occurring by the phone. My original hypothesis was that during backup recovering it was overheating or giving up while trying to restore all my stuff via the WiFi (because it was probably wondering why the data transfer was so damn slow). And while that still may be true, I can repeatedly force the iPhone off the network by powering up a laptop and having it connect to the network. The only wireless device that it doesn't get booted for is the Roku box. All hail Roku!

I've been talking to RM9 offline and it really might be my router. Why this specific device (and only this device) has problems, who knows. It's not something I expected by upgrading from a phone that was manufactured in 2012.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote:Slowing down old phones
A new study is backing up long held suspicions that Apple slows down older models of its iPhones to encourage users to buy a new release.

The U.S. study analysed worldwide searches for 'iPhone slow' and found that the search term spiked significantly around the time of new iPhone launch.

It then compared those results with similar searches for the term 'Samsung Galaxy slow', and discovered the term was unaffected by new releases from Samsung.

The study, compiled by Harvard University PhD student Laura Trucco, follows claims that the Cupertino-based company is deliberately sabotaging its old products.
Of course, this is a similar methodology to Google Flu Trends, which Google killed due to bad results.
Apparently not (a bit more of a rigorous methodology). Color me surprised. I didn't expect there to be intentional slowings happening, but I thought there may have been more of an unintentional attrition going on (as more modern OS have more overhead carried through to address newer features not available in older products).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which is why I made the Google Flu comment. Not that it made a difference.
The Meal

Re: Will not read Jeff V's predictable response post

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:11 pm iPhone X ("ten" not "ecks") looks like a full bundle of items in which I don't want to be at the front of the line.
techpinions.com wrote:When it came to overall customer satisfaction, iPhone X owners in our study gave the product an overall 97% customer satisfaction. While that number is impressive, what really stands out when you do customer satisfaction studies is the percentage who say they are very satisfied with the product. Considering you add up the total number of very satisfied, and satisfied, to get your total customer satisfaction number a product can have a high number of satisfied responses and lower number of very satisfied responses and still achieve a high number. The higher the very satisfied responses, the better a product truly is. In our study, 85% of iPhone X owners said they were very satisfied with the product.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bloomberg
Apple Inc. supplier AMS AG shares tumbled after cautioning on negative operating margins, yet another semiconductor company to spark warnings from analysts of shaky demand for the iPhone X.

The poor short-term guidance given by Austrian-based AMS late Monday was heavily impacted by lower iPhone X volumes, Baader Helvea AG analyst Guenther Hollfelder said in a note.
Investors have been looking for clues regarding demand for the new iPhone X. Apple’s five largest device assemblers reported a sharp slowdown in monthly sales after peaking at the end of last year, suggesting demand for the high-end device may be fading.

Key suppliers such as Hai Precision Industry Co. and Pegatron Corp. reported a combined 8 percent rise in their total sales across the March quarter, but growth slowed sharply later in the period. Apple’s main chip supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. predicted current-quarter sales about $1 billion less than analysts had projected.

Shares in Apple, which is set to post quarterly results on May 1, have fallen just over 7 percent over the past three days. Analysts at Morgan Stanley cut their forecasts on Friday for iPhone shipments. The Philadelphia Semiconductor Index has also posted a 3-day loss of just under 7 percent.

AMS’s first quarter adjusted earnings came in at $77.3 million, below estimates of $82.9 million. Adjusted operating margin in the second quarter is expected to be around negative 20 to 25 percent, compared to a positive 17 percent in the first quarter.

“This is all Apple, specifically iPhone X,” said Neil Campling, senior analyst at Mirabaud Securities Ltd.