[Movie] Blade of the Immortal

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[Movie] Blade of the Immortal

Post by hepcat »

Japanese auteur Takashi Miike is in my top 5 list of favorite directors. Why? Because I have absolutely no idea what he'll do. He is without a doubt one of the very, very, very few filmmakers in existence who can change their style and tone on a dime with each movie he/she makes.

Miike has created at least two of the scariest films of all time, Audition and One Missed Call. And he made a short horror entry for the Masters of Horror series on Showtime that they refused to show after screening it once because it was so disturbing.

He also has made some incredibly sweet children's films like Yatterman and Ninja Kids.

In between those extremes he's made numerous satires skewering Japanese culture and its perceived obsession with sex and crime. As well as the award winning 13 Assassins that felt like a love letter to the films of Akira Kurosawa.

Now he's back with an adaptation of a Japanese Manga series called Blade of the Immortal.
Manji, a highly skilled samurai, becomes cursed with immortality after a legendary battle. Haunted by the brutal murder of his sister, Manji knows that only fighting evil will regain his soul. He promises to help a young girl named Rin avenge her parents, who were killed by a group of master swordsmen led by ruthless warrior Anotsu. The mission will change Manji in ways he could never imagine - the 100th film by master director Takashi Miike.

To say I'm anxious to see this film is an understatement!
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Re: [Movie] Blade of the Immortal

Post by MonkeyFinger »

8-)
-mf
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cool!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This trailer is better. The red band trailer has that annoying background rap music and less of Miike's sense of humor.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Miike is hit and miss for me, but that trailer looks awesome. Will definitely check this one out.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I kinda think Japan might be running out of swordsmen....
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote:Miike is hit and miss for me, but that trailer looks awesome. Will definitely check this one out.
Oh definitely. I feel the same way. He's not perfect by any means. But when he hits, he hits hard. I think my fascination with him comes from never knowing what he's going to do. He's completely unpredictable as a filmmaker. I still remember watching One Missed Call for the first time and getting to the end, only to find out this creepy, atmospheric horror film ended with ...a musical number. And it worked.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've only seem 13 Assassins and I liked that one very much.

Thanks for the heads up.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Watched Audition last night.
Might be the age of the movie, but aint very much scary there at all. Little weird? I guess. Scary? Nah.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote:Watched Audition last night.
Might be the age of the movie, but aint very much scary there at all. Little weird? I guess. Scary? Nah.
A majority of film goers (both civilians and critics) disagree with you.

The biggest impact of Audition comes from Miike brilliantly playing it as if it were an innocent romantic film for the first hour...then the bag scene occurs and you realize this is most definitely not going to be a feel good film. The rest of the film is a slow realization of the dread awaiting the male lead, and the discovery that the "monster" was created by others. Making her a sympathetic figure in spite of all the atrocities she commits.

Audition is a masterpiece of horror film making. It went places in 1999 that very, very few films had ever gone before. Since then it's been imitated quite a bit (it's widely considered to be one of the films that birthed the J Horror genre), but at the time it was ferociously original.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote:
stimpy wrote:Watched Audition last night.
A majority of film goers (both civilians and critics) disagree with you.
What you need to understand is.......THEY DONT DISAGREE WITH ME........I DISAGREE WITH THEM.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

okay, okay.

back on topic:

I just noticed the release date for BotI is November 3rd here in the U.S..
He won. Period.