Food, meals, & recipes

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Food, meals, & recipes

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:38 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm It's not healthier for your body, but it is for the planet -- even taking into account all the processing, it requires a fraction of the land a cow needs and emits less carbon and methane. (I haven't had a Beyond yet, but the Impossible that I tried tasted just fine.)

I still haven't persuaded Wife to try one yet, as she avowedly doesn't like beef and can't bring herself to eat something that looks and tastes like it. She really likes her black bean burgers. I'm working on her because I know she'll change her mind if she gives it a chance....
What are the comparative emissions for a plant massacring facility? I bet it's greater than zero, maybe even greater than a gaggle of farting cows.
A new study has found that the Impossible Burger has a carbon footprint 89% smaller than a traditional beef burger. As stated in Adele Peters’ Fast Company Article, “the burger also uses 87% less water than beef, uses 96% less land, and cuts water contamination by 92%.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:38 pm What are the comparative emissions for a plant massacring facility? I bet it's greater than zero, maybe even greater than a gaggle of farting cows.
Actually, much much less.

It takes anywhere from 7 to 25 pounds of grass to create 1 pound of beef, according to some stats. That's much less efficient than chicken or pork.

https://www.drovers.com/article/summing ... rsus-grain
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:00 pm A search fails to reveal a previous posting of the recipe, so..

Dinner tonight was a favorite I make several times per year, Crawfish Monica with Bruschetta.

1 box rotini, cooked just shy of al dente.

1 bunch scallions, sliced.
1 stick of butter
16 oz half and half
1 package Louisiana crawfish tails (spend a couple bucks more and avoid the Chinese ones...because...CORONA VIRUS!)
1/2 cup Cajun spice mix. Mine is 4 parts paprika (not smoked), 3 parts garlic powder, 2 parts dried thyme, 1 part ground black pepper, 1 part ground cayenne pepper (if cooking for women, otherwise, indulge! 2 or 3 parts is not unheard of....you can use Tobasco squeezings if you got it, but I only had that once when gifted a couple of pounds by a friend who visited the factory).

Bruschetta - 2 Roma tomatoes, diced. 3 large cloves garlic, chopped. 8 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade. 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper. About 2 TBL EVOO. 1 crusty baguette (the take and bake work best), sliced into disks, drizzled with EVOO, sprinkled with garlic powder and baked until the crumb starts to brown.

Melt butter in high-walled frying pan. Add scallion and cook a few minutes until tender. Add half and half. Add spice mix. Add crawfish. If crawfish is frozen, cook on medium until it fully separates then reduce heat to low. Add pasta and toss thoroughly. Simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed by the pasta...there should not be much surplus sauce, just enough to keep it from drying out.

Serve with a box of your favorite wine. Bruschetta goes atop the baguette slices, but if there are left overs, I add the bruschetta to the leftover pasta. Sometimes I dice an additional tomato to be sure there are extras.

This recipe will feed 4-6, although if you're feeding six and using a full-size baguette, double the bruschetta recipe if you're not serving salad with it.
I like crawfish etouffee well enough. This is basically substituting pasta for rice. I have never bought crawfish before but I imagine it is like shrimp were it is all frozen immediately after catch so never buy the thawed out shit.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 pm
I like crawfish etouffee well enough. This is basically substituting pasta for rice. I have never bought crawfish before but I imagine it is like shrimp were it is all frozen immediately after catch so never buy the thawed out shit.
Most crawfish and rice dishes are roux based, and that's not the case with this recipe. Rice doesn't work with a Cajun cream sauce. Crawfish tail meat is readily available...Walmart carries both Louisiana and China produced crawfish, spend the extra few bucks on the Louisiana product.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I decided to make egg salad this week. I figured it would be enough for four meals at least.

I boiled a dozen eggs, and ended up throwing away at least a third of each of them because they wouldn't peel. There were a couple that I literally ended up with a yolk covered with the tiniest, thinnest layer of white, while the shells all ended up with most of the white. The eggs look like cratered asteroids.

They weren't brand new eggs (which tend to stick), they were cooked correctly, and I tried every trick in the book to peel them, but the shells would just not release from the whites. If I had to guess, I'd say it's either cheap eggs or hard water (we have incredibly hard water.)

That puts me at least two meals behind this week.

I despise cooking.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assume you did the "cool them off immediately in ice water" trick. I think that's supposed to help with that? I'm actually not sure. It's just how I learned.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:35 pm
They weren't brand new eggs (which tend to stick), they were cooked correctly, and I tried every trick in the book to peel them, but the shells would just not release from the whites.
i got yr solution right here:
It actually comes down to the eggs — not necessarily the method — that you're using. The older the egg, the easier they are to peel. For the best results, use eggs that are 7–10 days old. Harold McGee in On Food and Cooking, explains that "difficult peeling is characteristic of fresh eggs with a relatively low albumen pH, which somehow causes the albumen to adhere to the inner shell membrane more strongly than it coheres to itself." So if you only have a fresh dozen in your fridge, Harold McGee suggests adding a 1/2 tsp baking soda to the water which will raise the Ph levels and possibly make them easier to peel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't have a trick but... I never use fresh eggs. I start with cold water. I bring the cold water to a boil. I cut the heat and cover for 10 minutes. I dump the water and put the sauce pan in the fridge, usually over night at least. I never have a problem. Of course, now that I say that.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i recommend trying to make 'ramen eggs' ((Ajitsuke Tamago)) some time - you might never go back to boring American method again:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/ramen-egg/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was what I meant by "weren't brand new eggs." Or, in other terms, "uh-oh, these things expire soon. Better use them."

The problem is that when looking up solutions for the problem, I quickly found that everybody had a pet solution, and they were all different. Most of them were followed by a comment about how that solution doesn't work, and to try someone else's pet solution instead.

I really, truly don't enjoy cooking.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm fermenting some mushrooms for umami juice.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm I don't have a trick but... I never use fresh eggs. I start with cold water. I bring the cold water to a boil. I cut the heat and cover for 10 minutes. I dump the water and put the sauce pan in the fridge, usually over night at least. I never have a problem. Of course, now that I say that.
I salt the water first, then cool it after 10 minutes boil in cold water. Peels nicely.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk, maybe you ought to try balut...
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's exactly what I did. Old eggs, cold water, salt, boil, 10 minutes, cold water.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Water with salt. If I boil for 30 min no trouble. If I boil 10 min then let it sit 10 min like a lot of online places say then it peels like hell. Chunks missing. Also seems to depend on the brand of eggs I buy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If I was just going to mash the eggs up into an egg salad anyway, if they didn't peel nicely I'd probably just whack them in half with a knife and scoop out the egg with a spoon.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I just got done dry-brining numerous bone-in pork chops with a liberal dose of Killer Hogs BBQ Rub in preparation for a home-cooked feast I have planned for the weekend. I plan to slow cook 'em in a sous vide cooker for three hours or so, then finish 'em off with a good sear in a cast iron grill pan. Not terribly difficult or complex, and the pork chops were only $10 for around ten or so from Costco. But I'm hooked on Killer Hogs seasonings and am eagerly anticipating just how delectable that meal is going to be. Here's the recipe I'll be using, though I obviously won't be cooking them on the grill:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 am I like casseroles, but cooking for a vegetarian means I always have one hand tied behind my back. That recipe would just be sad without beef.
Morningstar Farms Chorizo Crumbles is what we drop into anything we want 'meaterized' - in particular pasta sauce to make it meaty. It's a little tiny bit spicy but has a good flavor we find works with a lot of things.

Spaghetti with Chorizo-infused Traditional Ragu sauce is a weekly staple for us. We cook up 3lbs of pasta and a 32oz jar of sauce with the 10oz of Chorizo mixed right into the sauce while it heats up - lasts like 8-10 hearty servings.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks, I'll try that someday. Wife likes Morningstar Farms black bean burger patties so it would probably fly with her.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm I just got done dry-brining numerous bone-in pork chops with a liberal dose of Killer Hogs BBQ Rub in preparation for a home-cooked feast I have planned for the weekend.
That rub looks really good - do they have others you recommend?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:55 pm i recommend trying to make 'ramen eggs' ((Ajitsuke Tamago)) some time - you might never go back to boring American method again:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/ramen-egg/
Seems to be the way Thai's cook their eggs, and they do taste good.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:43 pmThanks, I'll try that someday. Wife likes Morningstar Farms black bean burger patties so it would probably fly with her.
Those are pretty good.

This summer the family has really been into black bean burgers and Vegan Sausage done on the grill. We get that with four ears of corn. Shuck the corn, wrap in tinfoil with 1tbs of butter, grill for a while. Grill/toast the buns, too. Makes an awesome Saturday lunch.

The burgers need a little care as they try to disintegrate and stick to the metal.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gbasden wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm I just got done dry-brining numerous bone-in pork chops with a liberal dose of Killer Hogs BBQ Rub in preparation for a home-cooked feast I have planned for the weekend.
That rub looks really good - do they have others you recommend?
Yeah, the Killer Hogs BBQ Rub does a great job of providing fantastic colouring and strikes a really pleasant balance between sweet and savoury, though it is fairly mild in terms of salt content. So I find it tends to work best when combined with other seasonings, like those mentioned in the linked recipe. Speaking of which, Captain Rodney's Boucan Pepper Glaze is absolutely delicious stuff, too. I was given one of their gift sampler packs several months ago, which provides a superb variety of flavours to choose from (BTW, you can also save a decent chunk of change by buying directly from their site vs. going through Amazon).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Until the pandemic hit, I was eating really well, and I was on a probably 80% vegetarian diet. When everything hit the fan it just wasn't practical anymore, and I've never gone back. I've been thinking that it's about time for me get back to it, though.

It's such a pain around here to pull off a vegetarian diet, though. Problem 1: I'm allergic to beans. Problem 2: I have trouble eating grainy foods due to cancer damage to my mouth (lentils, quinoa.) Problem 3: There is very, very little vegetarian food available around here, save for a two-foot section of one shelf at Wal-Mart 30 miles away, and it costs significantly more than non-vegetarian food. Problem 4: Cooking isn't happening. Not only do I genuinely dislike cooking (which I may have mentioned...), meal time generally involves four people crowded into a kitchen the size of most people's bathrooms, all trying to prepare food at once using one stove, one microwave, and a section of counter space about 2'x2'. It doesn't take long to get tired of microwaved Morningstar Farms burgers and peanut butter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've finally started buying produce again. Right now I'm partial to making twice baked potatoes one at a time in a toaster oven.

Clean russet potato
lightly oil potato
Cook 60 minutes at 400. Longer if they are huge.
Cut in half
Scoop insides out without damaging skin
Mix insides with butter/margarine/milk, a shredded cheese, garlic salt.
Put the insides back in the skin
Top with broccoli or whatever floats your boat or nothing at all.
Cook 40 minutes at 350.

Easy peasy but it take an hour and half (that you don't have to monitor). The cost is about 60-90 cents per 1/2 pound potato. More if you use expensive cheese or other bits. One potato is not enough for a meal itself but two are. Sadly my toaster over isn't big enough to cook four halves of a potato at one time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I made something new tonight with dinner: Beer-Braised Potatoes

This is from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (Vegetarian volume I think).

2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into big pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cups beer (variety up to you)
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp or more skinned and grated raw horseradish (see *caveat below)
Whatever spices you like with cheese and potatoes (parsley, oregano, whatevs)

Toss the cheese and cornstarch together in a bowl to have it ready for later
Heat the oil on medium
Toss in the potato pieces and stir them around a lot to coat them with hot oil for 7 or 8 minutes
Toss in the onions (and salt and pepper) and stir it all together to heat and soften the onions
Pour in the beer (and maybe a little water) to not-quite-cover everything
Bring to a boil and then drop to a simmer
Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes offer little resistance
Mix in the cheese/cornstarch and horseradish and whatever spices you like

The magic happens when you add the cheese and cornstarch: what had looked like potatoes stewing in beer suddenly and immediately firms up into something gloriously thick and goopy. It only gets thicker as it cools, and it has the makings of a comfort food (though probably better in winter than summer).

If you want it to be more a potato side dish than a stew, just use less beer (or more potato).

We had it with broiled salmon and it was great, but it would probably be even better alongside steak.

*Caveat: I added *too much* fresh horseradish, and it produced a kind of slight metallic aftertaste (as horseradish does). Probably tone this down in favor of other spices.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My new favorite way to prepare steak is tagliata (courtesy of randomly watching an episode of Nigellissima a few days ago). It turned out to be very easy, as long as you can cook a steak to the doneness you prefer.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooh, that looks good. Thanks!
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I do 95% of the cooking in my house now, and rarely come across recipes that blow me away, but made a tortellini soup last night that was IMO amazing for the amount of work.

First time making it (both this recipe and tortellini soup), too, so I was kinda expecting mediocrity, but nay.

Subbed in a higher end, boutiquey chicken sausage for ‘Italian sausage’ but it held up well. I’d love to try it with real crumbled, browned Italian pork sausage (recipe called for that) but that would exclude half my family from eating it.

I suspect the secret to the excellent flavor may be the crushed fennel.

Happy to share recipe if anyone interested.