NCAA basketball 2017 - 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: NCAA basketball 2017 - 2018

Post by ImLawBoy »

Oh, I'll take that as a steal, even if it wasn't what I was originally referring to! :mrgreen:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
PLW

Post by PLW »

Somehow, the Gamecocks beat Kentucky. Bizarre.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PLW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:38 pm Somehow, the Gamecocks beat Kentucky. Bizarre.
I flipped that on for a few minutes and saw Kentucky was up around 10 in the second half, and I switched over to watch an X-files on the dvr, while pausing the game. When I switched back, I was all, WTF? How did that happen? Then I remembered that a very inconsistent UCLA squad beat Kentucky. This doesn't appear to be one of Calipari's finest... and SCar did make the final four last year.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 pm
PLW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:38 pm Somehow, the Gamecocks beat Kentucky. Bizarre.
I flipped that on for a few minutes and saw Kentucky was up around 10 in the second half, and I switched over to watch an X-files on the dvr, while pausing the game. When I switched back, I was all, WTF? How did that happen? Then I remembered that a very inconsistent UCLA squad beat Kentucky. This doesn't appear to be one of Calipari's finest... and SCar did make the final four last year.
We are a shell of our Final Four team, though. We lost the glue...Sendarius Thornwell (as well as a couple other players that were better than the ones playing this year). No one apparently has really stepped up to the leadership plate in his absence, and it shows on court. We've been playing so bad to date that I had forgotten to even tune in to the Kentucky game.
PLW

Post by PLW »

It was a vintage Frank Martin win. All defense, rebounding, and free throws. Kentucky looked young and they couldn't handle the herky-jerky game that it became. They just lost concentration. We'll take it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah is terrible again, which means I won't pay any attention to basketball until the tourney starts.

See you all in March! :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Utah is terrible again, which means I won't pay any attention to basketball until the tourney starts.

Any chance you'll join us in Vegas for the pac-12 tourney?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 pm
Skinypupy wrote:Utah is terrible again, which means I won't pay any attention to basketball until the tourney starts.

Any chance you'll join us in Vegas for the pac-12 tourney?
Doubt it. I've got a big work event that week.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Feds' case is simmering in the background:
“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”...

...So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

Among the documents expected to be in the federal government’s protection are the bank records of Miller, who bankrolled middle man, Christian Dawkins, who is at the center of two of the cases.

“If the NCAA is going to get Andy Miller’s bank records, God bless them, I don’t know what they’re going to do,” said another source with direct knowledge of the situation, chuckling at the thought. “You are better off changing the rules. The crazy part of this business is none of the kids are free.”

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. There’s a lingering mushroom cloud over the sport’s upcoming showcase event that won’t go away. The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Huge game tonight skinypupy! Are you going?

In other news, Arizona could be hurting:
Star Arizona guard Allonzo Trier has been declared ineligible by the NCAA after testing positive for a banned substance.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I got offered tickets this afternoon, but had already promised Little B 8.11 that I'd take her to the daddy/daughter event at her school tonight. It was actually pretty cool, I got to meet Derrik Parra (2002 Olympic Gold and Silver medalist) and wear his medals.

Looks like I missed a hell of a game though...got home right as it ended. If you would have told me a month ago that this team would be third in the P12 and vying for a tourney berth, I'd have said you were insane. Larry K has done an amazing job this year with really no go-to stars on the team.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bank records in FBI probe list payments from agents to college players
Bank records and other expense reports that are part of a federal probe into college basketball list a wide range of impermissible payments from agents to at least two dozen players or their relatives, according to documents obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Yahoo said Friday that the documents obtained in discovery during the investigation link current players including Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Duke’s Wendell Carter and Alabama’s Collin Sexton to potential benefits that would be violations of NCAA rules. According to the report, players over the past several years and family members allegedly received cash, entertainment and travel expenses from former NBA agent Andy Miller and his agency ASM Sports.
Can we stop this nonsense and just start paying players out in the open?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:29 pm Bank records in FBI probe list payments from agents to college players
Bank records and other expense reports that are part of a federal probe into college basketball list a wide range of impermissible payments from agents to at least two dozen players or their relatives, according to documents obtained by Yahoo Sports.

Yahoo said Friday that the documents obtained in discovery during the investigation link current players including Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Duke’s Wendell Carter and Alabama’s Collin Sexton to potential benefits that would be violations of NCAA rules. According to the report, players over the past several years and family members allegedly received cash, entertainment and travel expenses from former NBA agent Andy Miller and his agency ASM Sports.
No. Only the top 1% are good enough to be paid, and the professionals who pay players don't want to. Give them another option, and let the rest go on. One of the reasons I love College sports is because the players aren't paid for perfomance.

There are 351 D1 basketball schools. 13 players per is ~4,500 players per year. The NBA drafts 62 per year, and most of those don't make it.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:29 pm Bank records in FBI probe list payments from agents to college players

Do you think if every player got some money (and they actually do now legally at most schools) that there wouldn't be people who would either offer more or players who would ask for more?

Players do get stipends now that in some cases are worth several thousand a semester over and above their room and board.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 am I got offered tickets this afternoon, but had already promised Little B 8.11 that I'd take her to the daddy/daughter event at her school tonight. It was actually pretty cool, I got to meet Derrik Parra (2002 Olympic Gold and Silver medalist) and wear his medals.

Looks like I missed a hell of a game though...got home right as it ended. If you would have told me a month ago that this team would be third in the P12 and vying for a tourney berth, I'd have said you were insane. Larry K has done an amazing job this year with really no go-to stars on the team.
UCLA played pretty well last night, but the failure to push the 7/8 point leads in the 1st half to double digits (missed shot, borderline charge call), when answered with a Utah 3 on the other end really made a difference. Then, when UCLA was trying to get back in it, they could never quite get over the hump, cutting it to 1 on multiple occasions, but never able to grab the lead.

Good game and congrats!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm Do you think if every player got some money (and they actually do now legally at most schools) that there wouldn't be people who would either offer more or players who would ask for more?

Players do get stipends now that in some cases are worth several thousand a semester over and above their room and board.
Players should be able to negotiate their own NCAA salary. Some will get paid. Some will get a free college education. Colleges are making millions off these athletes. This is a business. What do you think happens to these guys if they have a career ending injury in college? No more free college. No pro career.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm Do you think if every player got some money (and they actually do now legally at most schools) that there wouldn't be people who would either offer more or players who would ask for more?

Players should be able to negotiate their own NCAA salary. Some will get paid. Some will get a free college education. Colleges are making millions off these athletes. This is a business. What do you think happens to these guys if they have a career ending injury in college? No more free college. No pro career.
*Some* Colleges (a huge minority - though it is a larger percentage for football). Additionally, if you haven't noticed, most colleges' athletic departments (despite all of these "millions") are in the red (or barely breaking even), and dependent upon the University. Only a few Colleges actually make money from athletics, despite the men's football and basketball contracts.

Additionally, the Colleges make far more money from all of their students, in terms of alumni donations and endowments than they do from athletics (though the exposure from the athletics certainly helps there).

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

You could say the players are negotiating their own salaries already. Even Jay Billis, on ESPN this morning, went on about how players have been getting paid for decades, and he even admitted that the great UCLA teams were probably paid by a booster (Gilbert).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 pm

*Some* Colleges (a huge minority - though it is a larger percentage for football). Additionally, if you haven't noticed, most colleges' athletic departments (despite all of these "millions") are in the red (or barely breaking even), and dependent upon the University. Only a few Colleges actually make money from athletics, despite the men's football and basketball contracts.

Additionally, the Colleges make far more money from all of their students, in terms of alumni donations and endowments than they do from athletics (though the exposure from the athletics certainly helps there).
Athletics is for most schools a loss leader. Sure, some in the Power 5 make really good money but those funds usually end up being used for facilities for athletics and for supporting the non-revenue sports.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yahoo's report now names (some?) names:
An ASM balance sheet in the hands of federal investigators shows accounts through Dec. 31, 2015, with the subheading, “Loan to Players.” It listed several who were in high school or college as receiving four-figure and five-figure payments from ASM Sports. Among the largest listed loans:

Dennis Smith, who would go on to play at North Carolina State in 2016-17, received $43,500 according to the documents. Another document headed “Pina,” for ASM agent Stephen Pina, says Smith received a total of $73,500 in loans, and includes notes about “options to recoup the money” when Smith did not sign with ASM.
Isaiah Whitehead, at the time a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents. The “Pina” document says Whitehead received $37,657 and was “setting up payment plan.” Whitehead signed with ASM but later left the agency for Roc Nation.
Tim Quarterman, at the time a junior at LSU, received at least $16,000 according to the balance sheet.
Diamond Stone, at the time a freshman at Maryland, received $14,303 according to the documents.
A listing that refers to “BAM” for $12,000 is later identified in the documents as Edrice “Bam” Adebayo, who would go on to play at Kentucky in 2016-17. He did not sign with ASM. There’s a later reference to Adebayo that says he received $36,500. “Bad loan,” reads the document.
Markelle Fultz, who would go on to play at Washington and become the No. 1 pick in the 2017 draft, received $10,000 according to the documents. He did not sign with ASM...

...Several players, families of players or handlers received more than $1,000 in payments from ASM Sports before turning professional:

Current USC player Bennie Boatwright and/or his father, Bennie Sr. (According to documents, they received at least $2,000.)
Current USC player Chimezie Metu and/or adviser, Johnnie Parker. (According to documents, they received $2,000.)
Current Texas player Eric Davis. (According to documents, he received $1,500.)
Current South Carolina player Brian Bowen, who was ensnared in the initial federal investigation and started his career at Louisville last fall until the school withheld him from competition. His father, Brian Sr., also received money, according to the documents. (Dawkins’ expense reports also list more than $1,500 in plane tickets for Bowen, his father and his mother. He and his family received at least $7,000 in benefits, according to the documents.)
Former Utah star Kyle Kuzma received at least $9,500 while in school, according to the documents.
Former South Carolina player P.J. Dozier received at least $6,115 while in school, according to the documents.
Former Xavier player Edmond Sumner and/or his father, Ernest. Documents show they received at least $7,000 in advances while Edmond was in school.
Former Wichita State player Fred VanVleet. Documents show he received at least $1,000.
Former Clemson player Jaron Blossomgame received a payment by Venmo while in school for $1,100 according to the documents.
Apples Jones, the mother of former Kansas player Josh Jackson, received $2,700 according to documents.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It will be interesting watching some of these programs squirm over this.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm It will be interesting watching some of these programs squirm over this.
Especially as it is only one agency. I have no doubt that there are others... the question is whether the FBI ensnared them too.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FBI wiretaps caught Arizona coach Sean Miller talking about paying $100,000 to ensure Deandre Ayton goes to AZ.

Between the Trier suspension and now this, Arizona is having a really bad week.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 pm It will be interesting watching some of these programs squirm over this.
I'm very interested to see the fallout with Larry K. About a month ago, he told a story about how someone (didn't say who) wanted $50K to release Kuzma's transcripts to Utah. He said they went straight to the NCAA and told Kuz about it, and he was supposedly shocked. Kuzma then decided to take an unofficial visit to Utah (paying his own way) and signed on that trip.

At the time, I thought it was a cool story about how they were doing everything possible to run a clean program. Given what we now know, I have some very serious doubts. I highly doubt Coach K was actively involved in this loan payment from the agent, but I'm finding the rest of that story really hard to believe.

Interestingly, Larry told that story completely out of the blue on a radio interview. Wasn't prompted at all. The host was actually really shocked by it all (or he did a hell of a job acting like he was)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:FBI wiretaps caught Arizona coach Sean Miller talking about paying $100,000 to ensure Deandre Ayton goes to AZ.

Between the Trier suspension and now this, Arizona is having a really bad week.
Ouch! Buh-bye Sean Miller, hello heavy sanctions.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm guessing Arizona fires him immediately, but I wonder if the NCAA will immediately come down hard on the program as well. Maybe a post-season ban this year?

Hey, a guy can hope.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

With the rate at which the NCAA moves, I’d be surprised if Arizona has any penalties this year.

I also would be surprised if Coach K was in on these shenanigans, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his assistant coach Jeff Capel (who is in charge of recruiting) was. He already got fired from Oklahoma after some shady stuff went down. And Duke’s run of getting top 5 players has been ridiculous since Capel joined the team.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:With the rate at which the NCAA moves, I’d be surprised if Arizona has any penalties this year.

I also would be surprised if Coach K was in on these shenanigans, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his assistant coach Jeff Capel (who is in charge of recruiting) was. He already got fired from Oklahoma after some shady stuff went down. And Duke’s run of getting top 5 players has been ridiculous since Capel joined the team.
Sean Miller fired and a self imposed ban is the most likely outcome.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm

No. Only the top 1% are good enough to be paid, and the professionals who pay players don't want to. Give them another option, and let the rest go on. One of the reasons I love College sports is because the players aren't paid for perfomance.

There are 351 D1 basketball schools. 13 players per is ~4,500 players per year. The NBA drafts 62 per year, and most of those don't make it.
Only the top 1% are good enough to be paid 5 or 6 figures, but there are plenty who are good enough to get a grand thrown at them. I think the accusation with Miles Bridges at Michigan State was $400 (and he might actually be one of the ones who is worth 5 figures). The urge for many boosters to be BMOCs is strong, and it only takes a few hundred bucks here or there. Opening up players to above-the-board compensation would remove much of the incentive to take money illicitly.

While the libertarian/capitalist ideal, it probably wouldn't work in reality. The NCAA needs to keep some level of an even playing field that isn't workable in a truly free market of 350+ colleges in basketball.

The best solution I've seen so far is to allow the current system (scholarships plus stipends), but then allow student athletes to profit off of their images. They can do endorsement deals, sign autographs for money, etc. Heck, if the university wants to sell a jersey with a player name on it, just give the player a cut.

It'd also be nice if the NBA would drop their one year post high school requirement. Now that they have a functional developmental league, it should be easy enough.

I've also seen suggested that basketball should follow the recruiting rules of college hockey or baseball. Hockey is more of a draft and follow, I believe, where a team can draft a player out of HS and hold on to his rights (for maybe a limited number of years?) while the player maintains eligibility to play in college. Baseball can draft players out of high school and keep their rights until the next draft, when the deck gets reshuffled. For either scenario, the players are allowed to hire an agent without losing eligibility. It seems to work pretty well there. (I'm not sure that would work for football, which doesn't have a developmental or minor league (other than the NCAA, of course).)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 pm...It'd also be nice if the NBA would drop their one year post high school requirement. Now that they have a functional developmental league, it should be easy enough...
Honestly, it probably still isn't in the NBA's interest for 90+% of these kids who are taking payments for most of basketball playing lives. These kids still have way too much growing up to do for the most part for the NBA (or anyone) to want to risk the equivalent of a full-time salary on these kids (save for the top 3 or so).

The only way it is in the NBA's interest is if they want NCAA basketball to be better at developing players on the cheap (for them), but that is an indirect benefit.

Realistically, to really solve the problem, the NBA would have to extend the D (Gatorade) league down into the AAU programs and professionalize those into an under-18 minor league system which would feed into the D/G league. That's where the real slime of the sport gets involved and keeps their hooks in the kids hoping for a payoff down the road, and due to child labor laws, it would be practically impossible.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, it's the G⚡ League now:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I do think a good step would be to go the baseball/hockey route, but it requires the NBA to fix their problem, which there really isn't any direct financial incentive to do on the NBA's end.

The only way the NCAA can actually fix this without the NBA fixing anything is to make freshmen ineligible again and force the One and Done wannabe's to find some other avenue/league.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm Oh, it's the G⚡ League now:

I know, but I still call it the d-league. Just like I still use D1/D2 for ncaa football divisions.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 pm...It'd also be nice if the NBA would drop their one year post high school requirement. Now that they have a functional developmental league, it should be easy enough...
Honestly, it probably still isn't in the NBA's interest for 90+% of these kids who are taking payments for most of basketball playing lives. These kids still have way too much growing up to do for the most part for the NBA (or anyone) to want to risk the equivalent of a full-time salary on these kids (save for the top 3 or so).

The only way it is in the NBA's interest is if they want NCAA basketball to be better at developing players on the cheap (for them), but that is an indirect benefit.

Realistically, to really solve the problem, the NBA would have to extend the D (Gatorade) league down into the AAU programs and professionalize those into an under-18 minor league system which would feed into the D/G league. That's where the real slime of the sport gets involved and keeps their hooks in the kids hoping for a payoff down the road, and due to child labor laws, it would be practically impossible.
According to the talk radio sports guys the NBA is leaning more towards going back to a 21 year old age limit, or something along the old 3 year rule. There are alternatives for younger players to earn money if they don't want to go the school route. But I think the NBA would prefer a more mature experienced product to draft.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:59 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 pm

According to the talk radio sports guys the NBA is leaning more towards going back to a 21 year old age limit, or something along the old 3 year rule. There are alternatives for younger players to earn money if they don't want to go the school route. But I think the NBA would prefer a more mature experienced product to draft.
The thing is that the Players Association will 100% not go for that (and this is part of the CBA - collective bargaining agreement). Older into the league => lower paying rookie contracts for effectively better talent => older players for Free Agency/Max Deals => shorter careers with shorter duration in the max window => lower career earnings for all players, not just max players. Only way I see the 3 year option working is if they do go the baseball/hockey route and allow players to go pro straight out of high school first (so that those players can drive up salaries for all players when they hit FA/Max status).

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

March 1, 2018

Dear Arizona Wildcat Community:

We have decided that Sean Miller will remain the University of Arizona's Men's Basketball coach.

Media reports last Friday alleged that Coach Miller was caught on a wiretap discussing a payment with a representative of a sports agency regarding one of our student athletes. Since those reports broke, we have sought to learn everything that we can from Coach Miller about the allegations. As Coach Miller's employer, we acted to investigate these reports.

Earlier this week, we met with Coach Miller at length and asked him direct and pointed questions. He was eager to speak with us and answered every question we asked. At this time we have no reason to believe that Coach Miller violated NCAA rules or any laws regarding the allegation reported in the media. Additionally, he has a record of compliance with NCAA rules, and he has been cooperative with this process.

While some might be tempted to rush to judgment when there is intense public pressure, due process is the bedrock of fair treatment and acting with integrity. With that in mind, we will continue to pursue every avenue of inquiry available to us during an active federal investigation to fully understand the facts. We recognize that investigation is ongoing, and we will continue to be respectful and cooperative through its conclusion. Steptoe & Johnson continues its investigation into our athletics compliance, and we will carefully review and act on its conclusions. We anticipate this report will be thorough and based on facts.

We want to thank our student athletes for the strength they have exhibited during this challenging situation. We are confident that they will continue to respond with commitment, integrity and excellence. Deandre Ayton, who has been subjected to false, public reports that impugned his reputation, has our full support. We ask that the Wildcat Family rally behind these young men and our coaching staff tonight and throughout the rest of our season.

Thank you.

Robert Robbins
President

Dave Heeke
Director of Athletics
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If he's not innocent, it will come out, but the ESPN story about the 100k payment for Ayton has changed so much that this truly is the right thing to do. I still find it believable that there was a payment or discussion (because CBB recruiting *is* so ugly), but it could well have been someone else entirely, and there may not have been payment even, just discussion.

So far, it's really shoddy reporting by Mark Schlabach and ESPN.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A slight digression to on-the-court business, if you don't mind.

Michigan is back-to-back Big Ten tournament champions!

Commissioner Jim Delaney got a bug up his ass about playing the BTT at MSG this year (since NY is Big Ten territory because of Rutgers, which has been the 14th seed in the BTT every year since they joined the league). Of course, the Big East has it booked for next week, which is the traditional week for the BTT, so Jim had to book a week early, which meant compressing the Big Ten schedule to finish early (which upset a lot of coaches and players). Now there's an off week for everyone to get rusty/rested before the NCAAs.

Michigan started off with an OT scare against Iowa, but went on to blow out Nebraska, beat MSU by double digits for the second time this year (sweep, despite not playing them in Ann Arbor!), and then dominated Purdue in the title game yesterday. The final score was 75-66, with Purdue making it look closer than it was because Michigan continues to be frustratingly bad at shooting free throws. (I'm worried that might be our downfall in the NCAAs.)

Some are saying that this might get Michigan up to the 3 line in the tournament, but I'm thinking the overall weakness of the Big Ten will leave them as a four seed. I think ESPN was saying that Penn State has a 40% chance of making the field (however they calculate that), but if they don't, that's just four Big Ten teams (Michigan, MSU, Purdue, and OSU).

Go Blue!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Other conferences had their tournament this week too, but those conferences usually only get one or two bids and are underdogs no matter when they play; It will be interesting to see how the Big Ten does in the first weekend of the tournament with so much time off between games. My gut tells me you might see more upsets that first weekend for the Big Ten than you might otherwise expect.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

For someone who doesn't follow the sport is there any particular strategy for completing the tournament bracket? I was just going to select the favored team to win.