MoviePass

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: MoviePass

Post by Isgrimnur »

They will go down as the XFL of subscription theater viewing services.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 pm I think moviepass is done. Nothing available outside landmark theaters anywhere. And no word from them on Twitter for hours. Also, their support number is apparently not answering.
I still have AMC's available near me.. Although they did have an outage this weekend and I'm not sure if its fixed yet.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And... we're out. Our memberships renew in 5 days. Not worth the risk. The only two theaters near us both dropped off the app today. We've been thinking of switching to the AMC offering. This would seem to be the impetus that we needed.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Apparently they ran out of money last Friday and had to take out an emergency loan for $5 million to pay their ticket processor. Today it appears that they only have showtimes in their app for e-ticketing theaters, most check-ins don't work, and people who do manage to check in are having their MoviePass cards declined at the register.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

My next opportunity to check is Wednesday. My AMC's are still listed, but they all say no more screenings today..It will suck if they are done, but it was fun while it lasted..
I was thinking of doing the AMC thing, but means going for 2/month to 40/month for me and my wife, although 1.5 IMAX movies/month will pay for the card
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ours was still working this past weekend.....as long as you weren't going to see MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT, which we were. :grund:

We still have two weeks left before our next bill date so I'm going to hold out just a bit longer and see what happens.

We signed up figuring this thing would crash and burn at some point, however, so I'm not upset. We definitely utilized it enough to get our money's worth.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A few days ago they didn't have enough money to even pay for customer's movie tickets.

Oops, didn't see this.
gilraen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm Apparently they ran out of money last Friday and had to take out an emergency loan for $5 million to pay their ticket processor. Today it appears that they only have showtimes in their app for e-ticketing theaters, most check-ins don't work, and people who do manage to check in are having their MoviePass cards declined at the register.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 pm I think moviepass is done.
No kidding.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That 1-for-250 reverse split is really something.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 am A few days ago they didn't have enough money to even pay for customer's movie tickets.

Oops, didn't see this.
gilraen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm Apparently they ran out of money last Friday and had to take out an emergency loan for $5 million to pay their ticket processor. Today it appears that they only have showtimes in their app for e-ticketing theaters, most check-ins don't work, and people who do manage to check in are having their MoviePass cards declined at the register.
Who would lend them $5 million? Does he by chance go by the name of "Fat Tony?"
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Aaaannnnndddddd back online this morning. They're the little engine that could of unrealistic business plans.

But I give them at most one month before they close shop.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

New update on Moviepass.
The service, which lets subscribers see a movie a day in the theater, is raising the price of its standard plan from $10 to $14.95 per month. The change will take effect in the next 30 days.

And some major releases will be "limited in their availability" on the service for the first two weeks they're in theaters.

It's not clear how "limited" those films will be to MoviePass users. The company did say that big movies may be made available through promotions.
I'm out.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah out as well. Fun while it lasted.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My coworker signed up 10 days ago. I tried to tell him it was unlikely to be an ongoing concern. Ah well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly I'm almost relieved. There was a little bit of pressure I put on myself to see at least two movies a month to make up for the cost of the service...and even then I was only breaking even as I only go to matinees these days. Some months that's easy to do, but others? Whew.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:46 am New update on Moviepass.
The service, which lets subscribers see a movie a day in the theater, is raising the price of its standard plan from $10 to $14.95 per month. The change will take effect in the next 30 days.

And some major releases will be "limited in their availability" on the service for the first two weeks they're in theaters.

It's not clear how "limited" those films will be to MoviePass users. The company did say that big movies may be made available through promotions.
I'm out.
Yeah.. At that price it will cost me $30 for the wife and I. For $10 more I can do the AMC one and have IMAX/specials included, plus I can use it to preorder as well. I'll probably drop MP once that happens.. Still not sure about the AMC thing though..
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife and I were paying $20 for two memberships, which meant seeing just one movie a month was break-even. Pushing it to $30 means 2 movies or we're losing money.

While that's still a pretty easy quota for us to meet, the idea that the movies we want to see may not be available or there may be an upcharge adds way too many variables into the mix. I'm with hepcat - I don't need that stress. :P
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm My wife and I were paying $20 for two memberships, which meant seeing just one movie a month was break-even. Pushing it to $30 means 2 movies or we're losing money.

While that's still a pretty easy quota for us to meet, the idea that the movies we want to see may not be available or there may be an upcharge adds way too many variables into the mix. I'm with hepcat - I don't need that stress. :P
With the AMC deal, which is $20/month, 1 IMAX movie in 3D could cover the cost. That's one of the only reasons I'm even considering it..
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm My wife and I were paying $20 for two memberships, which meant seeing just one movie a month was break-even. Pushing it to $30 means 2 movies or we're losing money.

With the AMC deal, which is $20/month, 1 IMAX movie in 3D could cover the cost. That's one of the only reasons I'm even considering it..
I would be all over that, except the AMC theater in our area is trash. The good theater by us is a Regal.

And neither has an IMAX screen. I have to drive 45+ minutes to see a movie in IMAX, so that gets reserved for big action movies.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I would hate committing like that. $20/ month is $240/year. I'd take quality over quantity. For $240 I could see 3 movies/year with the kiddo in full 3D Imax THX super fly whatever with a few bucks to spare for food. Much better experience and I don't feel forced to see a movie every month.

As it is, I probably average one movie in the theater a year then buy everything else on disc or in the cloud.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's really good for single folks. My aunt, for instance, sees 2-3 movies a week. She's retired, single, kids are grown. That's her entertainment. So she makes out like a bandit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It doesn't work for me because when I see movies, I see 3-4 in a day, then wait a month and see another 3-4 in a day. Get in all the movies and minimize the days I don't spend with the family. I know I'm an outlier though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I've got the Cinemark movie club since that's the theater where we always go. It's $8.99 a month and includes one free movie ticket that rolls over if I don't use it. I can also purchase an additional ticket for $8.99 AND get 20% off concessions.

It's a great deal and I hope the demise of moviepass doesn't inspire them to change the terms.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am It doesn't work for me because when I see movies, I see 3-4 in a day, then wait a month and see another 3-4 in a day. Get in all the movies and minimize the days I don't spend with the family. I know I'm an outlier though.
AMC gives you 3 movies per week, but you are allowed to see them all in one day :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We have just been going on Tuesdays where it's 5 bucks a ticket. It's really busy sometimes, but not bad enough that I don't want to deal with it. With the 15 yearly Premium pass we have already gotten two 5 dollar vouchers. They went and saw the Hotel cartoon for 5 bucks total. (Minus the 800 for popcorn. ;) )
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I very wish I could find time to get to the movies often enough to justify one of these things. As it is, my wife and I make it to maybe one or two movies a year, and once or twice a year, I sneak out of work for a long lunch and go see a horror movie my wife won't watch.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:28 am
stessier wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am It doesn't work for me because when I see movies, I see 3-4 in a day, then wait a month and see another 3-4 in a day. Get in all the movies and minimize the days I don't spend with the family. I know I'm an outlier though.
AMC gives you 3 movies per week, but you are allowed to see them all in one day :)
Sadly, no AMC theaters (or at least good ones) around me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think I could find 3 movies a month I would want to watch let alone a week. MAYBE in the summer when a ton of crap comes out, but the outside of the summer you are going to see a lot of horrible horrible stuff. :mrgreen:

FYI having the yearly 15 dollar pass and going on Tuesdays has made the movies crazy affordable for us. Yesterday I had a 5 dollar credit and some other weird discounts from the premier pass. 2 adults and 1 child to see Teen Titans? $5.33 including tax. :lol: The movie stunk btw. I like the tv show. The movie was boring as hell. Which is odd considering the 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Last edited by Octavious on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AMC's version is perfect for summer, as it comes with a 3-month minimum. And most of those are good enough to warrant repeat viewings anyway.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AMC is the only theater anywhere near me, but it is still 30 miles away, which makes it an inconvenient way to spend time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
MoviePass will reduce the number of movies its subscribers can see by 90 percent, with subscribers in the $9.95 monthly fee tier seeing their movie allowance decrease from one per day to three per month. The change will be rolled out starting Aug. 15, the latest in a series of changes to the company’s customer experiences as it struggles to stay afloat.

The company said in a statement that the new limit, which is supposed to reduce the amount of cash MoviePass burns through, will only affect the 15 percent of its subscribers who see more than three movies per month using the service.

MoviePass also announced Monday morning that it has reversed its decision, announced less than a week ago, to hike its monthly subscription fee to $14.95 per month. The reversal comes after a customer outcry; the $9.95 monthly fee will remain in place.
Two law firms announced on Monday that they have begun seeking defendants for class action litigation against MoviePass parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics, claiming that the company overinflated MoviePass’s profitability when presenting information to investors, who then lost money.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Two law firms announced on Monday that they have begun seeking defendants for class action litigation against MoviePass parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics, claiming that the company overinflated MoviePass’s profitability when presenting information to investors, who then lost money.
These are largely meaningless. Every time a company's share price drops, the Wall Street equivalent ambulance chasers drop press releases looking for shareholders to do a class action.

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Just read that moviepass just restricted their offerings again. 3 movies a mo for 15.

Downgraded from a movie a day.

So I am even less intrested now, and I wasen't even considering their last offering.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's actually 3 movies a month for 9.95. They dropped the plan to go to 14.95 a month.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm hanging on to it .... tentatively....for now because we almost never go to more than 3 a month anyway. If we hit 1 a month we'll break even, and 2 a month we'll be ahead. So we're not underwater yet.

IF, however, they continue to blackout popular new releases, I'll have to reconsider. I primarily go to the movies to see new releases in the good theaters. Not 3 weeks after release when they've been relegated to the room in the back with a 42 inch screen and 10 seats.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its back with a new unlimited....errrr uncapped plan. It also states that those who use it too much could be blocked. So lets see..you pay for a year up front for a movie a day but if you see a movie a day they ban you?..nice.

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2019/03/movie ... -for-9-95/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm fine using AMC's A-list service. I have two close theaters, one with an IMAX screen.

If I wanted to use the local Cinemark, their Movie Club would warrant a look.

Who needs a third party any more?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm fine using AMC's A-list service. I have two close theaters, one with an IMAX screen.

Regal doesn’t have a pass, do they? They’re the only decent theater near me.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:33 am
Isgrimnur wrote:I'm fine using AMC's A-list service. I have two close theaters, one with an IMAX screen.

Regal doesn’t have a pass, do they? They’re the only decent theater near me.
Not that I am aware of.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

and as a member of Cinemark Move Club.. it's not barely worth it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter