MoviePass

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

MoviePass

Post by Punisher »

Surprised I couldn't find a thread on this..

I finally got my card about 2 weeks ago and activated it last week. already saw 2 movies and have ordered a card for my wife. haven't had one problem so far. My friend has one and he hasnt had a problem yet either.
I still haven't tried it with a theater with reserved seats yet, so i'm interested in how that works.
The way it works now if that you have to be with 100 feet or so of the theater, then you use the app to "buy" a ticket. It doesn't really buy one though, it just activates the debit card they give you temporarily for 30 minutes.
Then you take the card to the theater and go buy the movie..
since the movies were $15 each, the $10/month price already paid for itself.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Re: MoviePass

Post by Isgrimnur »

We bandied it about in Randomness.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well I think it deserves it's own thread so :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You do you. :)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I thought about signing up, but you have to get the card in order to find out what movie theaters in your area are participating. That seemed sketchy enough to me that I didn't do it.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

msteelers wrote:I thought about signing up, but you have to get the card in order to find out what movie theaters in your area are participating. That seemed sketchy enough to me that I didn't do it.
If the movie theater accepts MasterCard debit cards, they have to accept MoviePass - because that's what MoviePass is using. There's also a 3rd-party website: https://www.moviepasslocations.com/.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gilraen wrote:
msteelers wrote:I thought about signing up, but you have to get the card in order to find out what movie theaters in your area are participating. That seemed sketchy enough to me that I didn't do it.
If the movie theater accepts MasterCard debit cards, they have to accept MoviePass - because that's what MoviePass is using. There's also a 3rd-party website: https://www.moviepasslocations.com/.
Oh, hell yeah. I'm going to be going to movies I don't even want to see.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

What about 3d movies? Do you get to pay the difference in price between that and a 2D, or do you have to pay full price?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Their website says - 2D only, no 3D or IMAX. I'm assuming the phone app won't give you an option to select a 3D screening.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gilraen wrote:Their website says - 2D only, no 3D or IMAX. I'm assuming the phone app won't give you an option to select a 3D screening.
I haven't tried it yet,but there is a bypass to this... possibly... Get the normal ticket, then go to customer service and tell them you want to switch movies.. In theory, this should work since I've done it without moviepass.. just tell them someone else bought the ticket if they ask for the original card..
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

While I like the idea of MoviePass, I've found that I do most of my movie watching in theatres with reserved seating, and it's hard to get a decent seat for recent releases in theatres like that 30 minutes before showtime.
Hodor.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

One Of the theatresnear me is all reserved seating. When I try it I will let you know.
You can always plan early. Go tok theatre in morni my or day before, setup pass the go to kiosk and buy ticket.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm in a backwoods hillbilly version of America that doesn't have any nearby theaters with reserved seating.

Well, that's not entirely true anymore. A new theater opened up that has nice recliners and those are reserved seating. But it only has 6 screens and rarely shows the movie that we want to watch.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moviepass? Can we link the previous discussion in randomness?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

coopasonic wrote:It is a bit tricky to find...
Which is exactly what's wrong with that thread.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I used that link to read about Daehawk's tick problem in bed.

Damn you, sir.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

McNutt wrote:I used that link to read about Daehawk's tick problem in bed.

Damn you, sir.
So you basically got tick-trolled?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Signed up for it and went to see the movie using the MoviePass app for the first time today. Worked great, just used the card at the ticketing kiosk like I would a normal credit card, to "buy" the ticket and pick the reserved seats. Now, granted, we deliberately picked a movie that's been out for a while ("Kingsman"), since you can only buy tickets for the same-day showing. I want to see Thor: Ragnarok, but I can wait a few days, we can just go some time next week, during off-peak hours.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

FYI. You can try going first thing in the morning to buy tickets for later that day. Works well for no reserved seating since you can then just show up early at the theater. Did that today for Thor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got my card 3 weeks ago but haven't had time to go see a movie since. :doh: Hopefully I'll get to try it out next weekend.

For what it's worth, I have several friends using it and none have reported any issues at all.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't sign up due to money..seems its needed for most everything in life. But had planned to then saw it uses a smart phone app for it and I dont have a smart phone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My plan this entire time has been to use it until the company crashes and burns, because I've never seen how it could sustain itself. I have it for my wife and I and so far we're well ahead. We're been averaging 3 movies a month since we signed up.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MoviePass, which buys tickets from theaters and offers them to subscribers, is losing money. That's not a shocker, considering members pay just $7.95 a month to see a movie a day.
This model doesn't make any sense to me.

"The success point for MoviePass has always been growing a subscriber base that could be analyzed in data sets to highlight consumer trends to studios and industry partners," he said
Ok, so they want to sell subscriber data. But can't thaters just collect the same data? Seems like a tenuous edge.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Making enemies of the theater chains was pretty much the reddest of red flags.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Ok, so they want to sell subscriber data. But can't thaters just collect the same data? Seems like a tenuous edge.
From what I recall, a large part of their business model was also dependent on low-volume consumers subsidizing high-volume consumers. I'm sure internet providers can tell you how well that works out in the long run.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:Ok, so they want to sell subscriber data. But can't thaters just collect the same data? Seems like a tenuous edge.
From what I recall, a large part of their business model was also dependent on low-volume consumers subsidizing high-volume consumers. I'm sure internet providers can tell you how well that works out in the long run.
We were high-volume consumers in the beginning, but in the past few months, we have dropped to low-volume.. However, even if we only see 1 movie/month at our local theatre, they still lose $2-$6 per month (We pay $10 each/month and movies we see are in the $12-$16 range depending on the theater.)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Looks like AMC is getting in on the deal with their own Movie Pass deal.

AMC Stubs A-List

$20 to watch up to 3 movies a week. Seems like a great deal. Heck, I'd only have to hit up two movies a month and it would pay for itself. But I know realistically I won't get it because I can barely find time to get to the movies anyway.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I noticed recently that moviepass added the requirement that you have to send a picture of your movie ticket to them before you can watch any subsequent movie.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am Looks like AMC is getting in on the deal with their own Movie Pass deal.

AMC Stubs A-List

$20 to watch up to 3 movies a week. Seems like a great deal. Heck, I'd only have to hit up two movies a month and it would pay for itself. But I know realistically I won't get it because I can barely find time to get to the movies anyway.
in Dolby Cinema®, IMAX®, RealD® 3D, digital
Already better than MoviePass.
New AMC Stubs A-Listers have a 3-month minimum commitment.
Perfect for a summer season for the kids.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

whoa...they include imax and 3d showings? Nice. I know what I'm doing after moviepass goes belly up. :D
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am Looks like AMC is getting in on the deal with their own Movie Pass deal.

AMC Stubs A-List

That's a pretty good deal. If MoviePass goes belly up, this will be a good option :) I don't mind sending in a picture of the ticket (after they fixed their stupid app so the function actually works), but they are clearly struggling to curtail both legitimate use AND abuse of the system, like only allowing you to see a movie one time or only allowing you to login to your account from one device (if you use a different device, you are locked to it for 30 days).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unfortunately our only AMC theater is the oldest, shittiest theater in town, and 20 minutes away instead of 5. So not an option for me.

Right now my wife and I are seeing an average of 2-3 movies a month, which is enough go get us above the break even line. I wish I could take more advantage of it, but it's tough to get to the theater with kids and all of our extracurriculars.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's a good deal, but I don't even know if I could find 3 movies a month I want to watch, let alone a week. :P I'm also a picky sob. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I could easily find 3 movies a month to watch though probably not many more... I just don't know that I could find the time. Also I prefer cinemark and their reserved seating (the closest AMC has a couple screens with reserved seating... out of 24).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I saw this and it would only take one IMAX 3D movie a month to break even, so I am thinking about making the switch. The other MAJOR benefit over MoviePass is the ability to use it only and reserve tickets, even to premiers coming out weeks in the future. For MoviePass, I'd have to go to the theater to get the tickets. Plus we only go to AMC anyway.

As for waiting for the belly up thing, I'd say that if MP goes belly up, the AMC pass wont be far behind it. I suspect they are only doing this to compete with MP. One thing that may help is that AMC could track tickets to concession stand purchases and actually see if MP's theory is sound..That more butts in seats equals more profit at concession stands.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Customer attachment is a big thing these days. Subscription services that require a cancellation action work well for the gym industry. And AMC requires a 3-month commitment.

Cinemark has a Movie Club for $9 for one 2D showing. It will be interesting to see which way they go in response to AMC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cinemark has a Movie Club for $9 for one 2D showing.
9 bucks a month for 1 show? My normal price is $8...matinee is $5.80
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think moviepass is done. Nothing available outside landmark theaters anywhere. And no word from them on Twitter for hours. Also, their support number is apparently not answering.
He won. Period.