Northern CA fires - Oct 2017

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Northern CA fires - Oct 2017

Post by Pyperkub »

I have a bunch of friends and family who have had to be evacuated due to the Tubbs fire in Santa Rosa, and ashes were falling at our house this morning. Here's a map of the CA fires and evacuation zones.

Hoping any OO'ers with friends/family in the Santa Rosa/Sonoma/Napa area are ok.

Another good map (easier to read if you kill the smoke plumes).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Re: Northern CA fires - Oct 2017

Post by Jaymann »

Now there's a big fire in Anaheim Hills with evacuations. It's across the freeway from us but massive smoke happening.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Yeah, woke up this morning to seeing a close friend's "We're Safe" check-in for her and her family on Facebook. Sounds like had to evacuate in a hurry in the middle of the night, and they're now pretty sure their home is completely destroyed.

edit: wow, yup. Entirely rubble.
Last edited by wonderpug on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Had the opportunity to relocate to Cali back in the early 2000s and the ex (wife at the time) didn't go for a variety of reasons. Between the earthquakes, mud slides, wild fires, and droughts, y'all can keep the left coast. Prayers for those affected....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

DD* wrote:Had the opportunity to relocate to Cali back in the early 2000s and the ex (wife at the time) didn't go for a variety of reasons. Between the earthquakes, mud slides, wild fires, and droughts, y'all can keep the left coast. Prayers for those affected....
Not getting hurricanes and tornados is seeming like a pretty tolerable tradeoff right now for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gbasden wrote:
DD* wrote:Had the opportunity to relocate to Cali back in the early 2000s and the ex (wife at the time) didn't go for a variety of reasons. Between the earthquakes, mud slides, wild fires, and droughts, y'all can keep the left coast. Prayers for those affected....
Not getting hurricanes and tornados is seeming like a pretty tolerable tradeoff right now for me.
Do you know what's really nice? Having none of the above. 8-)
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Yes, but you have that hard rain. Hard, horizontal rain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Yes, but you have that hard rain. Hard, horizontal rain.
We haven't had much beyond a hard drizzle for about 2 months now. I haven't had to mow my lawn since late August! The 2" that we were 100% supposed to get last week turned into almost nothing; now we are being promised a soaking tonight. We'll see...I should charge the battery in my lawn mower just in case...
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I saw film of the fires around Napa and Sonoma last night and also footage of the fire in Anaheim. There was film from Disneyland looking east at a burnt orange sky that was kind of surreal. At least 11 dead in the northern fires.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Yes, but you have that hard rain. Hard, horizontal rain.
We haven't had much beyond a hard drizzle for about 2 months now. I haven't had to mow my lawn since late August! The 2" that we were 100% supposed to get last week turned into almost nothing; now we are being promised a soaking tonight. We'll see...I should charge the battery in my lawn mower just in case...

No, the other kind of hard, horizontal rain Chicago has been in the news so much for lately.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The winds stayed quiet last night (nowhere near the 50-80mph winds which drove the fires sunday night/monday morning), but they are supposed to pick up a bit tonight - but fortunately only to around 20-30mph.

Edit - gusts up to 45mph now forecast. Fingers crossed!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jeff V wrote:
gbasden wrote:
yes, but you live in Chicago...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

naednek wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
gbasden wrote:
yes, but you live in Chicago...
So, Jeff wins this argument!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Highway 12 through Napa is closed, and many offramps near Santa Rosa off 101 is closed. Sigalert.com shows the closures, and it's a mess up there.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well, I live in Central California, in the San Joaquin Valley, and today I can smell the smoke from the northern California fires. You can see it in the air as well.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

According to one of my friend who is an independent bus operator, the locals near Napa are calling for buses to "standby" nearby in case they need to evacuate a lot of people. I'd imagine with 50-60 per bus, they have 10-20 buses at least in the area "just in case".
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just last Friday, I bought my ticket to fly into SFO for the San Francisco - Napa Valley Ragnar Relay Race:
Whether you’re in it to Zin it, or just need a Riesling to run, Reebok Ragnar Napa Valley is the ultimate California weekend running adventure. Starting in the heart of San Francisco, teams of 12 (or 6), will run relay-style while experiencing the best parts of Northern California. The 200-ish mile course brings runners over the Golden Gate Bridge, through Sausalito's charming downtown, next to endless rows of grapevines and past world-famous wineries.
Looking at these fires, I'm pretty sure there's not a snowball's chance that race is going to happen.

Small concern compared to the horrible stuff all those people in Napa and the surrounding area are dealing with, but I'm bummed.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Even with neighborhoods burned down the mail still gets delivered.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Over 30 dead now, the most deaths in a fire in over 100 years in California.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've been told through back channels that they want tour buses standing by near Napa to evacuate more people... if needed, and they're paying up to $1000 a day just to have a bus sitting there... "just in case". There are no free buses around San Francisco right now.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow