Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Harvey Weinstein... RIP career.

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote:Seth Meyers Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump and Systemic Sexism

tl;dw
First 5 minutes: anti-Trump rant
Next 3 minutes: mentioning Harvey Weinstein allegations
Final 2 minutes: anti-Trump rant
Which sexual predator has more power today?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote:Which sexual predator has more power today?
Power to launch nuclear missiles? Trump.
Power over a woman's livelihood and career? Harvey.

Why has no one taken Corey Feldman seriously when he talks about pedophilia in Hollywood? Why does Bill Clinton get a pass on his actions towards women?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Weinstein is currently unemployed, as he should be. I hope he suffers crushing lawsuits and whatever charges will stick.

Trump is currently ruining the greatest nation on Earth. I hope he is impeached and loses everything.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Trump is being talked about in part because when others are brought low for their horrible behavior it simply highlights that our current President and leader of the free world sexually assaulted women as well.

Oliver is right - this should be a non-partisan issue. I am happy to see careers get ruined and would be more than happy to see people go to jail if the evidence is there to support that. Men in power have to be held accountable for their actions toward women whether that is in the private or public spheres.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gbasden wrote:Trump is being talked about in part because when others are brought low for their horrible behavior it simply highlights that our current President and leader of the free world sexually assaulted women as well.

Oliver is right - this should be a non-partisan issue. I am happy to see careers get ruined and would be more than happy to see people go to jail if the evidence is there to support that. Men in power have to be held accountable for their actions toward women whether that is in the private or public spheres.
Ahem! Bill Clinton. Sorry, what were you saying? I'm coming down with a cold or something.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moliere wrote:
gbasden wrote:Trump is being talked about in part because when others are brought low for their horrible behavior it simply highlights that our current President and leader of the free world sexually assaulted women as well.

Ahem! Bill Clinton. Sorry, what were you saying? I'm coming down with a cold or something.
Did I say he shouldn't be called out as well? Where in anything I wrote does it say that I think Bill is a fine human being, above reproach? And he's certainly not the only other President to do this if we look back, and that should be vilified as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He’s certainly not unimpeachable.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:He’s certainly not unimpeachable.
Bam!

Next up, Steven Seagal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Moliere wrote:The next big revelation is when people come out and support the allegations made by Corey Feldman and others about how children are treated in Hollywood.
Even Terry fucking Crews was groped by an asshole Hollywood executive. :shock:
Having grown up in the industry I can tell you it is disgusting how long this has been going on and people looking the other way. Not just in "Hollywood" but from small indie stuff to local theater. It is an industry that is ripe with and facilitates predators of women, men and children. One of the main reasons I got out of it when I was 18.
morlac

Post by morlac »

GreenGoo wrote:
Moliere wrote:Hollywood has a long history, dating back to its origins, where studio heads, directors, and producers treated aspiring actors and actresses like prostitutes. There's no reason to think any of that has changed.
Eh? So even though society in general has moved to a less prejudiced, less sexist position, you feel that the movie industry has simply stood still over the decades?

How many Weinsteins are out there, in your opinion? All of them?

You have no idea. They are EVERYWHERE in the industry.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

An industry that openly celebrates Roman Polanski and Woody Allen as heroes and icons? Rife with shit bags? No way!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Harvey Weinstein expelled from Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Harvey Weinstein has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the academy's board of governors said in a statement Saturday.

The board met Saturday to discuss the sexual abuse allegations against Weinstein. The board said it voted "well in excess of the required two-thirds majority" to immediately expel Weinstein from the Academy.

"We do so not simply to separate ourselves from someone who does not merit the respect of his colleagues but also to send a message that the era of willful ignorance and shameful complicity in sexually predatory behavior and workplace harassment in our industry is over," the statement said.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Joining the illustrious ranks of Carmine Caridi:
'Godfather' actor Carmine Caridi, the only AMPAS member to be expelled for sharing screeners, reflects on his Oscar infamy ("I was doing a guy a favor, and he screwed me") and a career that might have been.
Starting in the late '80s, distributors began sending VHS (and later DVD and Blu-ray) copies of awards hopefuls to Academy members. But with piracy issues mounting, then-MPAA chief Jack Valenti, acting on behalf of the studios, imposed a ban on all screeners. A month after his September 2003 edict and facing great pressure, Valenti agreed to exempt Academy members if they signed an agreement not to share the videos.

In January 2004, Caridi was busted for violating that agreement, becoming the first and only Academy member ever to be expelled. Says the actor in his thick New York accent, "I was doing a guy a favor and he screwed me."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Moliere wrote:Harvey Weinstein expelled from Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Harvey Weinstein has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the academy's board of governors said in a statement Saturday.

The board met Saturday to discuss the sexual abuse allegations against Weinstein. The board said it voted "well in excess of the required two-thirds majority" to immediately expel Weinstein from the Academy.

"We do so not simply to separate ourselves from someone who does not merit the respect of his colleagues but also to send a message that the era of willful ignorance and shameful complicity in sexually predatory behavior and workplace harassment in our industry is over," the statement said.
Cosby, Allen and Gibson are still in though...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Weinstein hasn't been convicted of anything. They say they're doing it to send a signal about not allowing willful ignorance. How noble to send that message only after other it's getting lots of publicity.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tjg_marantz wrote:Cosby, Allen and Gibson are still in though...
and Roman Polanski...
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

@Courtney Love's advice in 2005: "If Harvey Weinstein invites you to a party at the Four Seasons, don't go."
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Did Mel Gibson do something I'm not aware of that warrants including his name with rapists?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am Did Mel Gibson do something I'm not aware of that warrants including his name with rapists?
He's a racist anti-Semite who also punched up at least one of his past girlfriends.
Spoiler:
Wikipedia:
In July 2010, Gibson had been recorded during a phone call with Oksana Grigorieva suggesting that if she got "raped by a pack of niggers," she would be to blame.[201][202][203][204] Gibson was barred from coming near Grigorieva or their daughter due to a domestic violence-related restraining order.[201] The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department launched a domestic violence investigation against Gibson,[131] later dropped when Gibson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor battery charge.[136]
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The assault is still in doubt as far as I can remember. And I fully believe he is anti Semitic (in thought much more than action), but that is not nearly as bad as being a rapist.

I know a lot of people who are racist, but don't act upon it. If you tell me that James Earl Jones is secretly racist and has been known to refer to whites as "crackers" to some of his friends, should he be vilified?

I have a grasp of Gibson's faults and they don't compare in the slightest to Weinstein and Cosby.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Wait, we're not talking about Debbie Gibson?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am The assault is still in doubt as far as I can remember. And I fully believe he is anti Semitic (in thought much more than action), but that is not nearly as bad as being a rapist.

I know a lot of people who are racist, but don't act upon it. If you tell me that James Earl Jones is secretly racist and has been known to refer to whites as "crackers" to some of his friends, should he be vilified?

I have a grasp of Gibson's faults and they don't compare in the slightest to Weinstein and Cosby.
I don't think it's a matter of his "faults" comparing, it's a matter of him being the kind of shit bag that shouldn't be honored by being in something like the Academy. If someone in there murdered 50 people, would Weinstein and Cosby suddenly be more palatable and acceptable because their "faults" aren't quite as bad as murder?

The point is, "Yay, you kicked this guy out because of the sudden and overwhelming backlash. But you haven't kicked out similarly shitty people...why?"

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, you seriously think that a hypothetical someone calling a few people "crackers" in conversations with friends is anything like the bile filled rants Gibson has gone off on? His is a fundamental, calculated, and hateful racism. Plus he's crazy. Like dangerous-crazy.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yes, I do. When has he ever acted on any racist feelings?
I think he is a hell of an actor/director and the list of people who praise him for his professionalism and kindness is very long.
Saying some racist crap while drunk is not ok. It is not at all something that makes him belong on a list with Weinstein and Cosby. I mean, goddamn. Let's not get crazy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am Yes, I do. When has he ever acted on any racist feelings?
I think he is a hell of an actor/director and the list of people who praise him for his professionalism and kindness is very long.
Saying some racist crap while drunk is not ok. It is not at all something that makes him belong on a list with Weinstein and Cosby. I mean, goddamn. Let's not get crazy.
No, not alone. But when you add in his abuse of women, and his threats of abuse, he's just another piece of crap.

And isn't it time to stop using skill in one's profession as a get-out-of jail free card? I don't care if he is the best actor of all time and he treats his PAs like gods. If he punches a woman or spews racist nonsense he's a piece of shit.

Maybe he's a fairly solid, unoffending Bristol #4 turd and Weinstein is a chunky, dysentery-ridden puddle of ass soup. They're both shit.

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:47 am

Maybe he's a fairly solid, unoffending Bristol #4 turd and Weinstein is a chunky, dysentery-ridden puddle of ass soup. They're both shit.
Bravo, sir. Bravo.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Moliere wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Cosby, Allen and Gibson are still in though...
and Roman Polanski...
Yeah not sure how I forgot that one. Thanks
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Oliver Stone accused of groping by former Playboy model
Oliver Stone has been accused of groping by a former Playboy model, hours after he declared Harvey Weinstein had been condemned by a “vigilante system”.

Carrie Stevens made the claims on Twitter in response to an article reporting Stone’s comments, which he later clarified. Stevens said: “When I heard about Harvey, I recalled Oliver walking past me & grabbing my boob as he walked out the front door of a party [in the 90s]. Two of a kind!” she wrote.
Oliver on FB:
I’ve been travelling for the last couple of days and wasn’t aware of all the women who came out to support the original story in the New York Times.
After looking at what has been reported in many publications over the last couple of days, I’m appalled and commend the courage of the women who’ve stepped forward to report sexual abuse or rape.
I’ll therefore recuse myself from the “Guantanamo” series as long as the Weinstein Company is involved.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am Yes, I do. When has he ever acted on any racist feelings?
If you what you're saying is talking shit isn't the same as doing shit, then I agree. If I'm around someone, and he's drunk or sober it doesn't matter, and he says something offensive then I won't like it. I might be angry with him, I might be disappointed in him, I might end the conversation and leave.

If he does something offensive, like grab my crotch, that is on a completely different level. There's nothing a person can say that is as bad as actually doing something to someone. A major reason that distinction is important to me is that I have no desire to be the thought police or support others who want to be thought police. You can think anything you like, no matter how vile. I'm happy with that. Just don't do anything vile. Your thoughts don't affect me, but your actions will if you aim them at me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Quentin Tarantino admits he kept Harvey Weinstein’s secret
“I knew enough to do more than I did,” Tarantino, who has been friends with Weinstein for decades, told the New York Times in an explosive interview published Thursday. “There was more to it than just the normal rumors, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”

He also called bullshit on the dozens of male executives, filmmakers and writers — including Weinstein’s own brother, Bob — who said they were shocked by the revelations.

“Everyone who was close to Harvey had heard of at least one of those incidents,” he told the paper. “It was impossible they didn’t.”
“I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard,” he added. “If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him.”

It’s the first time Tarantino — whose career was essentially launched and molded by Weinstein — has publicly acknowledged what he knew and when. Last week, he claimed he had been “stunned and heartbroken about the revelations that have come to light about my friend for 25 years” and asked for “a few more days to process my pain, emotions, anger and memory,” before commenting further.

He now says he knew, but not to the extent that’s been revealed in the two weeks since the story broke.

“What I did was marginalize the incidents,” he told the Times. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is there another thread discussing how NeoGAF is now shut down indefinitely due to Weinsteinian allegations against the guy that runs it?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 am
McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am The assault is still in doubt as far as I can remember. And I fully believe he is anti Semitic (in thought much more than action), but that is not nearly as bad as being a rapist.

I don't think it's a matter of his "faults" comparing, it's a matter of him being the kind of shit bag that shouldn't be honored by being in something like the Academy. If someone in there murdered 50 people, would Weinstein and Cosby suddenly be more palatable and acceptable because their "faults" aren't quite as bad as murder?

The point is, "Yay, you kicked this guy out because of the sudden and overwhelming backlash. But you haven't kicked out similarly shitty people...why?"
You might as well shut the whole academy down. by the time everyone is done finger pointing and mea culpa-ing, there won't be anyone left except maybe Haley Joel Osment and he will resign because he feels bad for imagining an actress when he masturbated.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Moliere wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pm Quentin Tarantino admits he kept Harvey Weinstein’s secret
“I knew enough to do more than I did,” Tarantino, who has been friends with Weinstein for decades, told the New York Times in an explosive interview published Thursday. “There was more to it than just the normal rumors, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”

He also called bullshit on the dozens of male executives, filmmakers and writers — including Weinstein’s own brother, Bob — who said they were shocked by the revelations.

“Everyone who was close to Harvey had heard of at least one of those incidents,” he told the paper. “It was impossible they didn’t.”
“I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard,” he added. “If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him.”

It’s the first time Tarantino — whose career was essentially launched and molded by Weinstein — has publicly acknowledged what he knew and when. Last week, he claimed he had been “stunned and heartbroken about the revelations that have come to light about my friend for 25 years” and asked for “a few more days to process my pain, emotions, anger and memory,” before commenting further.

He now says he knew, but not to the extent that’s been revealed in the two weeks since the story broke.

“What I did was marginalize the incidents,” he told the Times. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”
LOL. to noone's surprise. Someone who hides behind "ooohhh, I was doing it for the effect" racism should be booted as well.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A nonny mouse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 pm LOL. to noone's surprise. Someone who hides behind "ooohhh, I was doing it for the effect" racism should be booted as well.
People accusing Tarantino of racism need to talk to Samuel Jackson and Jamie Foxx.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A nonny mouse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:36 pm
You might as well shut the whole academy down. by the time everyone is done finger pointing and mea culpa-ing, there won't be anyone left except maybe Haley Joel Osment and he will resign because he feels bad for imagining an actress when he masturbated.
I don't think that would be the result but I wouldn't shed a tear for its passing if it we're. If that's what it takes, fine.

It's an antiquated organization anyway. Mutual masturbation doesn't require the same pretense it used to.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A nonny mouse wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:36 pm [You might as well shut the whole academy down. by the time everyone is done finger pointing and mea culpa-ing, there won't be anyone left except maybe Haley Joel Osment and he will resign because he feels bad for imagining an actress when he masturbated.
Just because something wrong eventually becomes the status quo doesn't mean that it's right.

For decades people have made jokes about the casting couch in Hollywood, so obviously it was a thing. That women are now saying enough is enough should be encouraging, not a sign that misogyny and sexism were the glue that held things together and thus will result in the destruction of everything if removed.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wait, Tarantino should be expelled because of his scripts' language? Seriously?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 pm Wait, Tarantino should be expelled because of his scripts' language? Seriously?
Who is saying that?

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
McNutt wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 pm Wait, Tarantino should be expelled because of his scripts' language? Seriously?
Who is saying that?
A nonny mouse did a few posts up, unless I totally misinterpreted it.