Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:58 amYeah but with him dead there's no trial. Sure they may still have evidence against others and they may pursue it. But with no trial with all the embarassing testimony and without Epstein trying to save his own ass, chances are much less.
If I'm to believe what has been reported, he seemed like the kind of guy that would have created a "Dead Man's Switch" release of information if something ever happened to him. Unless he wasn't really blackmailing people to amass his fortune and didn't live in constant fear that whatever operation he was running would be compromised by a weak link. I dunno. I can only hope everything comes to light and justice is still served....somehow.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Admitting I don’t know the legality of this, but for someone who is that high profile and that much of a risk, you’d like they would have video surveillance in his cell. For exactly a situation like this.

If nothing else, it would protect the police department.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I saw mention that there's still a civil case (and could be several) going forward for damages, so that could be where the evidence comes out.

It seems likely that Epstein's partner in crime (the woman who helped him recruit victims) is on the verge of being charged with sex trafficking as well.

It's futile to ask people to avoid conspiracy theories, but it's worth knowing that Epstein was actually *not* on suicide watch and that (and this could be decisive) child-rapists are the least popular members of any prison population. I imagine the guards didn't clock overtime making sure he couldn't hurt himself.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He tried to kill himself a few weeks ago, or so we are told. How was he not on suicide watch?

Surely it's obvious what kind of conspiracy theories a suicide would spawn, for that alone they should have had him on watch.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

When he tried suicide a few weeks ago and survived, the same conspiracy theories came out right away.

If it was actually a murder attempt then, Epstein has had plenty of time to tell his lawyers and other associates about it.

If someone believes that it's the kind of conspiracy that silences lawyers/etc too, how can they believe it's the kind that allowed the first attempt to fail and be reported?

Conspiracy is gratifying, but I'm going with "tortured soul knows he has lost absolutely everything, gives up."
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:20 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 amLots of terrible people are breathing a huge sigh of relief today.
He was never going to testify against anyone, that's for sure. Here's hoping there's no conspiracy and he actually did it knowing how much evidence they already had against him and everyone else he enabled.
I don't know about that. He was the main target and he was looking at a lot of time if convicted. Yeah he was a rich guy but who knows what might have happened at his trial? Maybe it goes badly for him and he makes a deal, which would include him ratting out a bunch of powerful people.

Now, if I was a powerful person involved in this would I be willing to gamble he keeps his mouth shut? Why would I want to do that? How hard can it be to arrange for an inmate to have the alone time and resources to commit suicide? Even if he didn't want to kill himself I bet if someone talked to him and explained the alternative, dying painfully at the hands of another while locked up, he might be convinced to do it. I find it suspicious that he apparently already tried suicide but wasn't being watched. A high profile prisoner like him and they aren't gonna watch his every move?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm When he tried suicide a few weeks ago and survived, the same conspiracy theories came out right away.

If it was actually a murder attempt then, Epstein has had plenty of time to tell his lawyers and other associates about it.

If someone believes that it's the kind of conspiracy that silences lawyers/etc too, how can they believe it's the kind that allowed the first attempt to fail and be reported?

Conspiracy is gratifying, but I'm going with "tortured soul knows he has lost absolutely everything, gives up."
Yeah, pretty much. It's not crazy to wonder whether there was foul play here. However, he could be pretty sure that he was going to spend the rest of his life in jail. He was going to have his deed aired in public (in front of friends, family, everyone he knows). He was going to go to jail as a billionaire child predator asshole.....the "he really wanted to kill himself" angle is pretty compelling.

However, this should still be an enormous scandal, especially since he was so high profile and had already made one attempt on his life.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I didn't buy the conspiracy theories about someone suiciding Epstein until Trump started accusing Clinton of playing a role in his death.

Given Trump's track record of accusing others of what he, himself, was guilty of, I'm starting to have second thoughts. :ninja:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Defiant wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:09 pm I didn't buy the conspiracy theories about someone suiciding Epstein until Trump started accusing Clinton of playing a role in his death.

Given Trump's track record of accusing others of what he, himself, was guilty of, I'm starting to have second thoughts. :ninja:
Uh, that wasn't Trump unless I'm missing something.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Whoops. My mistake.

Edit: Or not

Last edited by Defiant on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:15 pm Mr. Fed thread.

He is right but this shows how little "we" trust this system. Between his shady prosecution deal and this debacle and everything else going on the trust tank is running on empty. The public and especially his victims deserved the truth and again the shadows win again.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Defiant wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:09 pm I didn't buy the conspiracy theories about someone suiciding Epstein until Trump started accusing Clinton of playing a role in his death.

Uh, that wasn't Trump unless I'm missing something.
POTUS did retweet a straight-up "ClintonBodyCount" conspiracy post today.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This should really make a memorable episode of Blue Bloods! :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It would make a better Law and Order SVU episode with the rich perp dying in a cell and they end up going after the "fixer."
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm It would make a better Law and Order SVU episode with the rich perp dying in a cell and they end up going after the "fixer."
I'd pay money to see Andy Sipowicz questioning Epstein, maybe a one time NYPD Blue movie! :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:03 pmHe tried to kill himself a few weeks ago, or so we are told. How was he not on suicide watch?
I've worked in a jail before, for what little that matters here. Where I worked, suicide watch is a horrible experience for everyone involved where an inmate is jammed in a bare minimum cell with maybe a pad to sleep on and little else. There's nothing you can hang or strangle yourself with. Nothing you can cut yourself with. Nothing to drown or suffocate yourself with. A guard gets to sit in front of a bay of cameras and watch what's going on in the cells. It's probably the worst place in the prison for an inmate to be, naked and alone with absolutely nothing. The ideal place for someone who needs the most help, right? It's a temporary place, not long-term holding. As soon as they can, they have the inmate evaluated by a doctor and decide the next steps.

Once a doctor clears the suicide hold, the inmate is returned to their regular routine. There was no "in between" step for the inmates we guarded. You either were on watch or you were not, and thus treated like whatever your classification was, which usually meant nothing more than how much time you got out of your cell each day and how limited your interaction with inmates and guards was.

The guards aren't mental health workers and get paid to follow the rules. They're not going to go above and beyond for some convict and risk their asses just because they might be a risk to themselves. They'll just report suicidal behavior again if they see it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For us 'suicide watch' meant we had to do a walk-by with a visual confirmation every 30 minutes. If you wonder why that's sometimes not enough, it was one corrections officer to ~115 offenders, in one of the highest stress jobs in the country, on probably their third day of overtime.

Actual suicide risk (a step up from that) was the empty cell bit or direct medical observation. And I mean empty cell. Offenders have successfully hung themselves from floor drains with toilet paper (and I'm not kidding.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
After he was taken off suicide watch, Jeffrey Epstein was on "special observation status," which mandated guards check on him every half hour & that he have a cellmate.

In the hours before his death, he had no cellmate & wasn't getting the required check.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Last edited by Skinypupy on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:Domino
Let the chips fall where they may.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am
Skinypupy wrote:Domino
Let the chips fall where they may.
:doh:

Fixed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
More than a year after Danny Masterson was ousted from Netflix's "The Ranch" amid sexual assault allegations, the actor is reportedly being named in a new lawsuit.

HuffPost and The Hollywood Reporter report that four women who accused Masterson of raping or sexually assaulting them filed a lawsuit Wednesday against him and the Church of Scientology.

The suit accuses Masterson and the Church of Scientology of engaging in stalking, physical invasion of privacy and a conspiracy to obstruct justice, among other allegations, according to a complaint obtained by THR and HuffPost, which reported back in 2017 that a case from one of Masterson’s accusers did not move forward because the Church of Scientology intervened with more than 50 affidavits from Scientologists who denied the woman’s account.

Speaking through his attorney, Andrew Brettler, Masterson said in a statement shared with USA TODAY that the lawsuit "is beyond ridiculous."
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lots of acts of torture, murder, wonton neglect, and witholding medical care. I get the point but these don't disprove anything in Epstein's situation. In fact, most of the conspiracy theories involve some kind of intentional homicide, much like several of the examples. It almost reads like a list examples backing up how easy it would be to have him killed.

And I don't think it's impossible for him to have died in a correctional facility in the US because...he did.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 pm And I don't think it's impossible for him to have died in a correctional facility in the US because...he did.
Maybe :think:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This Epstein case sure does have some curious elements:
The day after he was taken off suicide watch, disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein spent at least two hours locked up alone with a young woman, in a private room reserved for inmates and their attorneys, according to an attorney who was visiting the prison that day.

As for Epstein’s companion, the visiting attorney noted that she didn’t seem to have any files with her. He speculated that she could have been a first-year associate, and that she was dressed casually. “It was slacks and a blouse. ... Could have been jeans or another kind of pants,” he said. “But, like, Sunday brunch attire.”

The visiting attorney said the treatment reminded him of Epstein’s lifestyle in Florida when he served 13 months on a prostitution charge in a much-criticized plea deal with federal prosecutors. Then, Epstein would leave jail and go to his office on a work release program for up to 12 hours a day, six days a week. “It sounded to me like a replay of the Florida thing where he got to go to the office … and sit around rather than sit in the cell,” he said.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeffrey Epstein once had three 12-year-old girls from poor families flown in from France as a sick birthday present for himself, according to newly unearthed court documents.

“It was a surprise birthday gift from one of his friends and they were from France. I did see them, I did meet them,” she said
She said they were a gift from Epstein’s acquaintance Jean-Luc Brunel, a model scout, according to the Daily Mail.

“He went on to tell me how Brunel bought them in Paris from their parents, offering them the usual sums of money, visas, and modeling career prospects,” she said, according to the news outlet.
Jean-luc Brunel needs to burn next.

“Laughing the whole way through, Jeffrey thought it was absolutely brilliant how easily money seduced all walks of life, nothing or no one that couldn’t be bought.”

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...as well as any parent that would sell their children to these people.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:43 am ...as well as any parent that would sell their children to these people.
If they knew what kind of people they were but they probably didn't. If some well known model scout comes to an impoverished family and promises the kid a "career in modeling"...

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NZ Herald
... believed to be sisters ...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The use of the word "bought" in the article causes me to be suspicious of the parents.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:06 am The use of the word "bought" in the article causes me to be suspicious of the parents.
If that is indeed the case, then them too. Hopefully they choked to death on the money. Figuratively or literally.

We may never know though.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The video game industry is having a #metoo week.
Over the past day, multiple high-profile men in the video game industry have been accused of sexual assault. Many of the accusations are years old — in some cases, more than a decade — and they all point to a toxic environment where developers not only have to live with a constant fear of abuse, but also the significant professional and personal repercussions of outing their abusers.
Prominent composer Jeremy Soule.

Alexis Kennedy, creator of Fallen London and Cultist Simulator (thread):

Co-founder of Oculus:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[CONTENT REVOKED]
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm [CONTENT REVOKED]
Really? What did Brendan Iribe, Nate Mitchell, Jack McCauley and Andrew Riesse do? Riesse died. I haven't heard much about the others.

Edit: Removed quote as requested.
Last edited by Hrothgar on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

whoops, i didn't know there were more. i spoke out of ignorance and i apologize. i retract my earlier comment.

(Palmer Luckey can still go hang, however.)
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm glad there's not a scandal I didn't know about. Based on his resume I had thought Jack McCauley was pretty cool. Designed USB, created the Guitar Hero guitars and drums, designed hardware for DDR, Silent Scope and more. He turned the Oculus prototype into shippable hardware.

Edit: added wikipedia link
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It really doesn't matter if they are cool or not. It's their sense of being entitled to harass women which is the problem. Or do more than just harass.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm Prominent composer Jeremy Soule.
Wow, that was quite the airing of grievances.