Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Harvey Weinstein... RIP career.

Post by GreenGoo »

Bye Franken. Too bad, you were a force for good. Shame you were Gropey McGrabbypants.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

John Fucking Hockenberry?! Another Tom Hanks-like figure. Wowzer.

Let me put a personal placeholder here for a running list of alleged "nice guys" suspected of sexual harassment:

John Fucking Hockenberry (!)
Charlie Rose
Mark Halperin
Garrison Keillor
John Lasseter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the pendulum needs to start swinging back towards inappropriate instead of immediately going to assault on some of these accusations.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

As someone who detests false labeling that can destroy careers and lives all too easily in today's massively interconnected landscape, I'd agree.

As someone who is kind of starting to understand this problem that women have faced for millenia, I'm kind of on board with letting this scythe reap a massive swath. There needs to be a reckoning that leaves a lasting impression, not just a viral movement that putts out after a couple months.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Pretty sure he goes out. A little late but I'd rather the Democrats take the lead on this than debase themselves to the Republican level.

Edit. And another.

Edit 2. Not sure which I'm missing.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s past time for him to go. I liked Franken, but he needs to go away for awhile.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Harold Ford, Jr. Another "nice guy". Yeesh.

Now I'm starting to suspect some Trumpian conspiracy (joking!) due to the Morning Joe connection, and the late unpleasantness between the Dumpster and Joe/Mika.

Mark Halpern
Harold Ford, Jr.
Is Willie Geist next?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

New lawsuit alleges director Bryan Singer raped a 17-year-old boy
Director Bryan Singer, who has directed X-Men films and was fired this week from his Queen biopic, has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old boy.

In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Washington state, Cesar Sanchez-Guzman says the incident happened in 2003 when he attended a party on a yacht in the Seattle area. Sanchez-Guzman was 17 at the time.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Kevin Spacey has got himself a royal pair of balls.

No really.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42284021
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

What all future males will have to look like in the USA for their safety and women's as well

Unless they look like these guys, then no problem (oops that last bit was political so I deleted it, sorry)
Enlarge Image
:wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

How about go away if you have nothing to contribute.
Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I like turtles.

Last edited by tjg_marantz on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who was it that tells us to quit replying to trolls?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Who was it that tells us to quit replying to trolls?
You're ok if I go back to that then? Because I've made an effort not to point it out when it's done. Glad to see it hasn't worked either.

Edited original as you're right.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's usually me, but then I realize I'm giving him attention. See, I'm doing it again.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Another woman on Death of a Salesman accuses Hoffman of repeatedly groping her.
The groping continued. After the shows at parties, whenever he had a picture taken with me, he would put his arm around my rib cage and then grab my breast just before they snapped the picture and then remove it. He was very skilled at dropping his hand just as the picture snapped to avoid it being recorded. But it was pre-digital. You didn't know what was there until they were developed. Only by luck do I have one such picture - where the camera caught him in the act. A picture I had taken with hopes of sending it to my family. A millisecond in time. There I am - big smile and my arm moving toward his with the intention to push it away. But caught as it is, it seems I'm complicit with the gesture. I was not. Not ever.
One night in Chicago, I felt his hand up under my slip on the inside of my thighs. I was completely surprised and tried to bat him away while watching the stage for my cues. After the show he was busy with the producer and director so I had no access to him to address it. It then happened almost every show. Six to eight shows a week. I couldn't speak to him in the moment because I was on a live mic. He kept it up and got more and more aggressive. One night he actually started to stick his fingers inside me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It was a different time back then, where sticking your fingers in an unwilling peer was the norm. Your modern morality doesn't apply back then.

I find Hoffman especially gross, given these stories about him. He's the very definition of a groper. I expect to hear stories of when he was on public transport and touching strangers in crowded situations. I'm surprised he's not wearing a trenchcoat.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hey, I'm gropin' here! I'm gropin' here!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I generally welcome other viewpoints as a thought exercise, but I fail to see the value in that.
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

em2nought wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm Hey, I'm gropin' here! I'm gropin' here!
I snickered.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm
em2nought wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm Hey, I'm gropin' here! I'm gropin' here!
I snickered.
One of his better posts.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Credit where credit is due. I chuckled.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm waiting for more allegations about Singer to drop. That's one of the worst kept "secrets" in Hollywood.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, chef!
[F]our women .... allege that Batali touched them inappropriately in a pattern of behavior that appears to span at least two decades. Three of the women worked for Batali in some capacity during their careers. One former employee alleges that over the course of two years, he repeatedly grabbed her from behind and held her tightly against his body. Another former employee alleges that he groped her and that, in a separate incident, he compelled her to straddle him; another alleges that he grabbed her breasts at a party, though she no longer worked for him at the time.
Batali was reprimanded for inappropriate behavior in the workplace as recently as two months ago. According to a spokesperson for Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group — the restaurant-management services company that provides support to around 24 restaurants owned by, among others, Batali and Joe Bastianich — in October 2017, a B&B restaurant employee officially reported inappropriate behavior by Batali to the company. It was the first formal complaint about Batali, who was reprimanded and required to undergo training, according to the company.

In a statement to Eater, Batali said that he is stepping away from the day-to-day operations of his businesses for an unspecified period of time. ABC, where Batali has co-hosted the daytime show The Chew since 2011, has also asked the chef to step away from the show “while we review the allegations that have just recently come to our attention,” a spokesperson said.

Batali did not deny all the allegations, saying that they “match up” with ways he has behaved.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

At least he owned up. His statement so far has been the most level headed.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

New Yorker fires reporter Ryan Lizza over alleged sexual misconduct
The New Yorker magazine said Monday it has cut ties with well-known political reporter Ryan Lizza for alleged sexual misconduct.

The magazine recently learned Lizza had "engaged in what we believe was improper sexual conduct," a spokeswoman said. After reviewing the matter, it cut ties with the reporter.

Lizza is also a contributor on CNN. A spokesperson for the cable news network said he will not appear on air while it looks into the matter.

Lizza called the New Yorker's decision a "terrible mistake" made without a full investigation.

"I am dismayed that The New Yorker has decided to characterize a respectful relationship with a woman I dated as somehow inappropriate," Lizza said in an emailed statement, adding that the magazine did not cite any company policy that was violated.

He apologized to "friends, workplace colleagues, and loved ones for any embarrassment this episode may cause."

A lawyer representing the woman making the allegations against Lizza, however, disputed his description of the relationship.

Douglas Wigdor, who has brought a string of sexual-harassment and discrimination cases against Fox News, said "in no way did Mr. Lizza's misconduct constitute a 'respectful relationship' as he has now tried to characterize it."

Wigdor said the woman wishes for her identity to remain confidential. She reported his actions in order to hold him accountable and "in the hope that by coming forward she would help other potential victims," he said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rumors are a major paper (either NYT or WaPo) has the potential goods on between 30 and 40 members of Congress and is working to substantiate the claims. We could have a lot more senators and congressmen resigning soon. If true, I think that's going to make it a lot harder for Trump's accusers to be continually ignored.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You might want to put that in R&P. It could turn nasty in this thread. :wink:
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 am You might want to put that in R&P. It could turn nasty in this thread. :wink:
Done!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've never seen Frida and I actually don't want to now. I'd love to see her do a nude scene because I'm a crude guy, but I don't want to see her doing that kind of scene when I now know what it took for her to do it. Damn, that's sad.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah that's pretty ugh
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

She won the Best Actress award for this role, it's sad that the memory that should be so great is so tainted by what happened.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Another way to look at it is that she was able to make her dream of a Frida movie happen despite incredible adversity, and she was resoundedly recognised for her brilliance in her craft.

Yes, Weinstein tainted things, but she accomplished her goals and the world recognised her skill in her chosen artform.

Dwelling on the negatives undermines what an amazing accomplishment she achieved. She is proud of her work and rightly so.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guy Smiley could not be reached for comment.

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Soon it's the guys that will be using #MeToo
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

McNutt wrote:Soon it's the guys that will be using #MeToo
They'll need another one since been are already using that one as victims.

Maybe #isuck
Home of the Akimbo AWPs