Sears Roebuck old catalog/model help

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Sears Roebuck old catalog/model help

Post by Kelric »

I've got some metal kitchen cabinets and sink with model # 545-17100 on a Sears Roebuck sticker inside. I haven't had any luck tracking them down online to try and date them. Anyone have any ideas?
stessier

Re: Sears Roebuck old catalog/model help

Post by stessier »

Do you have an Ancestry.com login? (I don't.) This link will let you search catalogs from 1896-1993...not sure when your stuff was made, but it might help.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

stessier wrote:Do you have an Ancestry.com login? (I don't.) This link will let you search catalogs from 1896-1993...not sure when your stuff was made, but it might help.
My guess is the 50s, but I really don't know. I think a relative has a login, so I'll check on that. Thanks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do they look like this?

Enlarge Image

Sears made them in the 50s under the name Homart. A set like above can run $800. Of course there are sets without sinks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote:Do they look like this?

Enlarge Image

Sears made them in the 50s under the name Homart. A set like above can run $800. Of course there are sets without sinks.
Our cast-iron sink looks a lot like that (the sink, not the pedestal), but it's not from Sears and it's stamped 1948 on the bottom. It's been in continuous use for 70 years and it could use a re-glazing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That is *exactly* the set we had in our kitchen when we moved into our house. I'm guessing it was a 1950s installation.

We just redid the kitchen and took it out, and the wallpaper hidden behind it was straight out of Leave It To Beaver.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The sink is similar but the faucet is set on the same level as the counters, not up above. It has one drawer and one cabinet door on either side, with two cabinet doors in the middle.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Off topic, but Sears used to sell whole houses. It's pretty interesting to read the ads as it gives you a sense for what was important.

http://www.searsarchives.com/

Look on the bottom of the page and there are houses from 1908-1940. Clicking on a picture will frequently bring up the ad and floor plans. It's fascinating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote:Off topic, but Sears used to sell whole houses. It's pretty interesting to read the ads as it gives you a sense for what was important.

Look on the bottom of the page and there are houses from 1908-1940. Clicking on a picture will frequently bring up the ad and floor plans. It's fascinating.
Very cool!

They are really more like house kits. For the listed price Sears supplies all the hardware to build the house: everything from the wood, flooring, doors, and shingles to the bookcases, nails, and window sash weights; "price does not include cement, brick, or plaster."

Presumably the buyer is responsible for getting someone to dig the foundation and build the house. Hopefully they throw in the actual blueprints.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote:Off topic, but Sears used to sell whole houses. It's pretty interesting to read the ads as it gives you a sense for what was important.

FWIW, Menards sells whole houses today. They have one comparable to my house for $93,000 and they even own a bunch of plots in my 'hood so they can sell you the land to build them on.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting. 90% of my neighborhood seems to be in there. My house isn't, but it's not too different from some of the 1908-1914 models (although it is a good 30 years earlier.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sears houses were quite popular in the Midwest in their day. I remember my parents driving around and looking at them just as a curiosity. They looked like any other modest bungalow to me.

I don't think they were big in New England, but I imagine one could still find some.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kraken wrote:Sears houses were quite popular in the Midwest in their day. I remember my parents driving around and looking at them just as a curiosity. They looked like any other modest bungalow to me.

I don't think they were big in New England, but I imagine one could still find some.
I think the big building boom here was post-WW2. Most neighborhoods were pretty well established prior to that.