[Movie]New Mutants

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tru1cy

[Movie]New Mutants

Post by tru1cy »

Interesting take on a superhero movie. Might be awesome if done right Has a real Legion vibe

Trailer
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
rshetts2

Re: [Movie]New Mutants

Post by rshetts2 »

I dont really get a Legion vibe from that. Yeah, they both involve what seems to be an asylum and yes Legion has some horror elements but it is so much more than straight up horror. New Mutants seems more straight up horror to me..... with mutants! So for me, while there are some common elements, the "vibe" is completely different. Not saying youre wrong, entertainment is subjective and people take away different things from what they watch.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I give them an A for originality. They certainly sold me a ticket.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Looks interesting.. definitely has more of a horror vibe to it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The guy at about 1:08 of the trailer made me thing "Walking Dead Daryl: The Early Years".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pm The guy at about 1:08 of the trailer made me thing "Walking Dead Daryl: The Early Years".
It made me think "Stranger Things: The Next Year."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

There is already a teaser trailer out for the sequel, "New Mutants: The Counseling".

It just shows Professor Xavier grumbling to himself as he gets on the phone to order a Psyche wing be built on the school.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As much as I love comic book movies and things that are X-Men related, I will probably take a pass on this one.
Hodor.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I remember buying the first New Mutants at the newsstand around 1982. I still have it. Loved the X-men, but never got into New Mutants.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
Filming took place in Boston from July to September 2017, primarily at Medfield State Hospital, with an April 2018 release in mind. This was then delayed for over a year, allowing for reshoots to make the film more frightening.
And I just watched The Witch, which features Anya Taylor-Joy, who is playing Illyana Rasputin / Magik in the film.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 pm I give them an A for originality. They certainly sold me a ticket.
As I try to avoid trailers as much as possible, can someone let me know if this keeps the stale X-Men trope of Mutant persecution? I basically stopped watching any of the X-Men movies due to how tiresome it got to me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Persecuted mutants? Definitely.

But it’s a horror film.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03 pm I give them an A for originality. They certainly sold me a ticket.
As I try to avoid trailers as much as possible, can someone let me know if this keeps the stale X-Men trope of Mutant persecution? I basically stopped watching any of the X-Men movies due to how tiresome it got to me.
That's like complaining about all the cars in a Fast and Furious movie. Marvel mutants have existed as a stand in for racism and xenophobia from the very moment of their inception.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 pm
That's like complaining about all the cars in a Fast and Furious movie. Marvel mutants have existed as a stand in for racism and xenophobia from the very moment of their inception.
Yeah, but it wasn't as if EVERY SINGLE STORY was infused with it to the point of beating one over the head with it repeatedly. Even the Dark Phoenix story was only tangentially related to discrimination.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBR
The Fox film was originally set to be released on April 13, 2018, but it was later pushed back to February 22, 2019. More recently, it was pushed back to August 2, 2019. As it stands, the film is still set for release in August, however, that can always change should any other issues arise—such as the need for more reshoots.

After all, reshoots were initially expected to begin in late 2018, but had been pushed to February of this year. It's unknown if they're completed, or if the schedule has been pushed yet again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ouch. I wonder what the problem is.

edit: hmmm...found this on another site. It seems they're adding more characters to make the film "scarier".
The situation is a bit more hectic for “The New Mutants.” The Josh Boone-directed film was originally set for release next month (April 13), but now it has been delayed twice. Fox originally moved the release to February 22, 2019, but with “Dark Phoenix” now moving to that month, “New Mutants” won’t premiere until August 2, 2019. Sources confirm to Collider the rumor that the film will undergo reshoots to introduce an entirely new character. The source says a recent test screening for the film went well, although Fox reportedly wants it to be even scarier.

Collider reports that at least 50 percent of “New Mutants” needs to be reshot. There could be as many as two new characters being added, and both are more than just a cameo. The new characters are fully integreated into the entire story, which is why the release date has been so dramatically pushed. The reshoots for “New Mutants” are expected to be way more extensive than your average blockbuster.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No one is saying, that I can find.

Comicbook.com
But we still don't know much about The New Mutants, which is currently slated for a theatrical premiere at the end of summer while rumors persist of another delay or possible streaming release. Even actress Anya Taylor-Joy seems confused about the movie's release.

The star spoke with The Upcoming during a press event for Glass last month and was asked what she could say about The New Mutants, and she seemed slightly stumped.

"It's coming your way at some point," Taylor-Joy said. "And my character is sassy as fuck and mental and Russian and crazy and I love her."

It seems like Taylor-Joy is in the same boat as the rest of us, wondering about the next X-Men spinoff movie. Rumors have recently come out that the film would be released on Hulu later this year, and producer Lauren Shuler Donner made it clear she wouldn't be happy with that decision.

“They worked hard on it,” Shuler Donner said during the Television Critics Association panel. “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu.”
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Wow, sounding more and more like a total clusterf- if you ask me. Seems like someone thought they had a cool idea to make a lower budget superhero "horror" movie and then it all went all over the place. It's not a bad idea on paper, but the reality is it's a conceptual disaster if you try to do too much and please everyone. Very few people aside from fans of the comics are familiar with these characters, so this needs to at minimum have some sort of origin content. The original core is not too difficult to deal with. The biggest problem is Magik, who is probably the most popular character in the team. Not including her would be a real disappointment for fans, but would arguably make for a better and easier movie to make. Her origin story is deserving of a movie/series in itself, and her powers are all over the place and confusing. Her teleporting stepping disks are her main power, but they bridge through Limbo, and once you introduce Limbo you have to contend with her Soulsword, magic spells, demon pets, and that she sometimes rules over all of this demon dimension. It's way too much sub-story and way too complicated to be relegated to a few minutes of intro. SO what do you do? Likely just ignore all of it and irritate all the fans anyway? It sounded like they wanted to include Warlock too, who is likewise both popular and way too complicated a character. And seriously, how do you make something a horror/scary tale when at least one of your characters is the ruler of a demonic dimension?

I was a huge New Mutants fan back in the day, and as much as I'd love to see them succeed, I really don't see this ending well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think if we want a superhero horror film we're going to have to wait for James Gunn's new film, Brightburn

Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Uproxx
A few months ago, director Josh Boone teased that The New Mutants will be “probably the hardest PG-13 movie ever made.” However, that statement feels like it might never be tested, given that the much delayed film is still listed for release on August 2, 2019, which seems increasingly unlikely to happen if promises of reshoots (to achieve more of a horror feel) are genuine. While promoting Game Of Thrones‘ final season in a new Rolling Stone profile, Maisie Williams (who plays Wolfsbane) revealed that these reshoots haven’t happened yet. Her response also shines more light on persistent whispers that this movie might actually be whisked away from theaters and onto the upcoming Disney+ streaming service, where a hard PG-13 wouldn’t fly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CinemaBlend, Apr 4:
Yesterday at CinemaCon, Disney presented its plans for the future, including some releases that were originally under Fox's control before the merger. The New Mutants was one of the movies presented, revealed to have a release date of August 2nd.
While the release date is an exciting update, The New Mutants still has to get reshoots in the can. Reshoots are pretty standard for superhero movies, and will give Josh Boone the chance to finish crafting his story, and allow for the editor's bay to do their magic. But August isn't that far all things considered, so the cast and crew is going to have to hustle to get the new footage in the can and included in the theatrical cut.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

They can save some budget and just steal footage of Maisie Williams from last Sunday's GoT episode for the conclusion 8-)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Also, Fox/Marvel’s New Mutants, which had been pushed several times on the release schedule after reshoots, moves off Aug. 2 this year to April 3, 2020. Coming away from Disney and Dolby’s CinemaCon presentations, it was clear New Mutants wasn’t headed to Hulu.
:|
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
After years of existing in a void of film purgatory, 20th Century Fox’s X-Men spinoff The New Mutants is finally gearing up to be released.

The newest trailer of the movie shows off some of the changes director Josh Boone has made.
The New Mutants will be released on April 2nd, 2020 (if it comes out at all).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought that would look horrible but it didn't. Didn't look interesting either though. All I got was been there done that. Nothing new. But Im also 50 years old and life feels that way.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Having not followed development on this at all or really paid much attention to this thread I had no idea they were going more horror orientated with this. To tell the truth that trailer made me way more interested in this because of it. I have grown tired of the typical super hero formula at this point.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

The horror angle is interesting but at this point it just seems like a throwaway. As much as I am a horror fan, I don't see anything like a series coming from this. I like my heroes kicking ass with their superior powers, not running around hiding and getting scared. The thought of Magik, queen of the demon realm Limbo, being chased around like a typical horror chick makes me cringe. She was raised by a demon/devil, I don't see a creepy clown scaring her lol. Maybe it would work once, if their powers are neutralized or they lose their memory or something, but not as a series.

Also wondering, did Disney get them along with the X-Men?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 pm Also wondering, did Disney get them along with the X-Men?
Yes.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ScreenRant
The New Mutants was recently screened for the cast of the long-delayed movie.
Director Josh Boone has released an image on Instagram of the cast of The New Mutants in a private screening room, along with the caption "Screening New Mutants for the cast! All mutants in attendance. #newmutants". This will doubtlessly come as very welcome news to all who have been eager to see The New Mutants finally hit theaters. Even after the movie planted its flag in its current release date, both the media and moviegoers around the world were still left wondering if another delay was on the horizon, but thankfully, that fear now seems to be no more.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 pm The New Mutants will be released on April 2nd, 2020 (if it comes out at all).
:doh: :lol:

Cheat Sheet
According to Mikey Sutton’s insider intel, The New Mutants will not receive a theatrical release amid the coronavirus pandemic; the movie will instead premiere on Disney+. Sutton stated:
…Disney is seriously considering dropping The New Mutants on Disney+, possibly by this summer. Please note that, as of this reporting, no final decision has been made yet. Obviously, the situation with the global pandemic has made it difficult to nail down any theatrical release plans or alternatives. But Disney has weighed their options regarding The New Mutants and they seem to be in agreement this is the best path for that particular movie going forward. It has a modest budget that so they won’t actually being leaving money on the table, and its presence on Disney+ could give the channel a much-needed jolt.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 pm The New Mutants will be released on April 2nd, 2020 (if it comes out at all).
:doh: :lol:

Cheat Sheet
According to Mikey Sutton’s insider intel, The New Mutants will not receive a theatrical release amid the coronavirus pandemic; the movie will instead premiere on Disney+. Sutton stated:
…Disney is seriously considering dropping The New Mutants on Disney+, possibly by this summer. Please note that, as of this reporting, no final decision has been made yet. Obviously, the situation with the global pandemic has made it difficult to nail down any theatrical release plans or alternatives. But Disney has weighed their options regarding The New Mutants and they seem to be in agreement this is the best path for that particular movie going forward. It has a modest budget that so they won’t actually being leaving money on the table, and its presence on Disney+ could give the channel a much-needed jolt.
Are you kidding me? The idea that Disney+ is in need of a "jolt" and that it would be The New Mutants to provide it are two ideas so idiotic that I must assume everything on that website is trash.

I'd rather see The New Mutants get tossed onto Hulu at this point. Or wherever the rest of the old X-Men films can be found.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Collider
The New Mutants, the last Fox X-Men adaptation before Disney took control of the studio, has missed more release dates than we can remember at this point (the first scheduled release date was way back in April 2018) but Disney swears that the movie is coming out in just two weeks and even has new IMAX artwork to prove it. “August 28.” It says it right there on the artwork (it’s not technically a poster). So you know it must be true.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

As skeptical as I was about this, I have to say the last trailer looked pretty cool. I love that they are going full "demon bear" and it doesn't look like they are de-powering Magik. It will be very interesting to see how they deal with any "origin story" type of content, or if they just more or less ignore it.

Of course the real thing I am skeptical about is if I can find an actual theater that will be showing it lol.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rittchard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm As skeptical as I was about this, I have to say the last trailer looked pretty cool. I love that they are going full "demon bear" and it doesn't look like they are de-powering Magik. It will be very interesting to see how they deal with any "origin story" type of content, or if they just more or less ignore it.

Of course the real thing I am skeptical about is if I can find an actual theater that will be showing it lol.
FWIW, Bill and Ted Face the Music is supposed to simultaneously release that day on VOD and in Theaters!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, if this is playing near me at a theater, I'm probably going. I'll adhere to social distancing and mask wearing, but the idea of going to a theater again...even in that capacity...just seems so appealing to me right now. I hope that doesn't make me a horrible person.

And it doesn't hurt that I actually DO want to see this movie. The trailers so far have all been good in my opinion.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 am Honestly, if this is playing near me at a theater, I'm probably going. I'll adhere to social distancing and mask wearing, but the idea of going to a theater again...even in that capacity...just seems so appealing to me right now. I hope that doesn't make me a horrible person.

And it doesn't hurt that I actually DO want to see this movie. The trailers so far have all been good in my opinion.
Going on 6 months of isolation, it's got to be getting tough on everyone. You take precautions for your health and those around you, It doesn't make you bad, it just makes you desperate (for lack of the right word). I'm this >< close to gaming F2F, which I would do with no mask, and I know of others doing already. If it weren't for a literal couple of out door socially distant F2F talks with my parents every month, I think I'd be much worse off than I am now and I'm more than a little stir crazy and I also believe myself to be more comfortable in isolation than most people.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can't imagine going to a movie theater right now, now matter how much I might be anticipating any particular movie. But, then again, I'm in a Covid hot spot where people are pretty laissez-faire about mask regulations.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am I can't imagine going to a movie theater right now, now matter how much I might be anticipating any particular movie. But, then again, I'm in a Covid hot spot where people are pretty laissez-faire about mask regulations.
Translation: "Yes hep, you're an awful human being. That you can look at yourself in the mirror each morning is a triumph of the will on unheard of levels of denial heretofore unseen in humans."
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:00 am I can't imagine going to a movie theater right now, now matter how much I might be anticipating any particular movie. But, then again, I'm in a Covid hot spot where people are pretty laissez-faire about mask regulations.
Translation: "Yes hep, you're an awful human being. That you can look at yourself in the mirror each morning without pants is a triumph of the will on unheard of levels of denial heretofore unseen in humans."
FTFY
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »