Kidney Update- Successful Transplant! May 23

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Kidney Update (Cross Posted from Facebook)

Post by Zaxxon »

Best of luck. I am confident that you and your donor hero will both kick ass.

Also, I just learned that having three kidneys can be a thing!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Best of luck. I am confident that you and your donor hero will both kick ass.

Also, I just learned that having three kidneys can be a thing!
One of my nieces was born with three kidneys. She's had problems her whole life.

I'm trying to visualize how doctors wire in a third kidney... but then I remember how squeamish I am and I stop.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Good luck, MHS! Thinking of you and your donor.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Good luck!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Best wishes.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sorry to read your news. I wish you all the very best for the future.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Enough

Post by Enough »

Sending much strength and warm fuzzies your way! Best of luck with the procedure and let us know if you need anything at all. Don't be bashful, we've got your back.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enough wrote: let us know if you need anything at all. Don't be bashful, we've got your back.
NOT a kidney pun.

(bear with me, I approach everything serious, with humor)
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Best wishes, MHS.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Good luck! I hope all goes well!
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thank you for sharing here too (read on FB tonight). Like Enough wrote, please let us know how we can help.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sorry for your kidneys but hoping you find a donor soon, MHS!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

If there's one person that I have no doubt will pull through and come out stronger, it's you.

Best,
Joe
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Good luck MHS. I hope the insta-doner works out. That would be great.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Best of luck!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

G'luck w/ the donor. 3 kidneys sounds unusual but whatever works.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Kick kidney's ass!!
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Good luck!
Stupid & lazy
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MHS, good luck with all the paperwork and the evaluations. Same to your donor.

You deserve the hell out of that renal enhancement.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good luck, MHS!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A father's criminal history delays him from donating a kidney to his 2 year old son.

Not to hijack the thread, but there are a low of screwy rules and regulations around organ donations.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

It's fantastic that you have someone who is willing to give you a piece of themselves. I wish you and your donor the best of luck and hope for skill on the part of your surgeon. I hope everything goes well for everyone involved.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Just so we're clear, it's only the donor that needs to pass the psych eval, right? :wink:

I hope everything goes right the first time around and you aren't left waiting. Good luck, we're all counting on you! :romance-grouphug:
Black Lives Matter
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You are such a great person.
So is your donor and I hope it all goes smoothly.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
MHS

Post by MHS »

Update on kidney stuff: I met with the transplant evaluation team last Thursday. That was a fun all-day meeting where I met with everybody and their brother- the surgeon, the dietician, the social worker, the finance person, the nephrologist, etc., and then the lab for 17 vials of blood work. All to determine if I'm a good candidate for transplant since they can't start the donor matching process until they say I am. Neal was there, as was my potential donor, who flew all the way in from Maryland to be part of my support team. Fair to say she's taking this very seriously.

The good news is that, individually, they all said I am a good candidate. The bad news is that my renal ultrasound showed the potential start of an aortic aneurysm (common with people who have had high blood pressure for years, which I have because of the kidney disease) and so they have a couple of concerns and want to do a chest X-ray to see if my heart is enlarged (they can't do more detailed heart checks because I can't have any contrast dye- super bad for your kidneys) and a brain scan to see if I might have brain aneurysms. People with Polycystic Kidney Disease are 6 times more likely to have berry aneurysms so that on top of what they saw in my ultrasound has them concerned. Once I have those tests (scheduled for December 1), then they'll meet to determine my transplant eligibility and give a thumbs-up or down, and then my donor can start her own testing. I'll post an update.

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts. :wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At a loss of what to say here. I really am sitting here trying to figure out what to type. All I guess I can say is wow. Just wow. Still hope its all clear for the transplant and you and your donor do great and heal quick and life becomes so normal you get bored :) You are both a pair of amazing folk. To your hubby here and everyone else around you also I wish this is as easy as it can be on you too guys. All good vibes to you MHS.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 pm At a loss of what to say here. I really am sitting here trying to figure out what to type. All I guess I can say is wow. Just wow. Still hope its all clear for the transplant and you and your donor do great and heal quick and life becomes so normal you get bored :) You are both a pair of amazing folk. To your hubby here and everyone else around you also I wish this is as easy as it can be on you too guys. All good vibes to you MHS.
Thank you. I'm not stressing it. If I do have any aneurysms, they can do surgery on those, so I don't think it would be a death knell for getting a kidney, and if I don't have aneurysms, then I'll start the transplant process knowing that I am one healthy mofo aside from the whole renal thing since they have run every test under the sun. It's all good. I'm lucky to live in a time where the technology exists to make extending my projected life expectancy a relative given, which is a pretty amazing thing in and of itself.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Your attitude is impressive and heartening! I truly believe that has an effect on health outcomes in some cases, as well. All the best wishes, and thanks for updating us.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sorry that you have to endure all the poking and prodding and uncertainty. Hope that you come through the other side with a new kidney and can put most of this behind you. Try to focus on the outcome and not dwell too much on the process of getting there. One step at a time....
tgb

Post by tgb »

We're wishing you the best and are sure it will turn out fine.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

how's your donor doing?
MHS

Post by MHS »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm how's your donor doing?
She's good. I'm sure the waiting is stressful on her, but she seems good. She got the opportunity to ask some of her own questions during the all-day meeting and nothing she heard seemed to scare her off. She was way more prepared than I was (had already watched the videos they started the day off having us watch and prepared a list of questions that was much more thorough than the 2 I had on a crumpled post-it in the bottom of my purse.) She has already registered herself on the donor website from the info they gave her and is just waiting to plug in the recipient ID once I get one assigned. It still seems very weird to me that she's willing to do all this for (essentially) a stranger. I've known her only 2 years and our whole relationship consists of a handful of interactions through her attending my trainings in Maryland and us having dinners together when I go out there. She spent the weekend here with us after my appointment and it was the most time we've ever spent together. I'm thankful for her generosity but it's still weird and of course uncomfortable for me because I have all these complicated guilt and unworthy emotions I deal with....I don't know if I deserve a kidney? Shouldn't it go to someone better? So many people die waiting for an organ, it all seems too easy for me.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Man....my friends better step it up.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
MHS

Post by MHS »

stimpy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm Man....my friends better step it up.......
Right? I’m going to start using this in every day scenarios. “My friend Carmen gave me a kidney, you can’t even buy me lunch?”
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

MHS wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm Man....my friends better step it up.......
Right? I’m going to start using this in every day scenarios. “My friend Carmen gave me a kidney, you can’t even buy me lunch?”
:lol:

Best wishes through the ordeal.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This is awesome! Good luck, MHS. Thinking positive thoughts for you.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

(you could, potentially, have a very, very - very - good Christmas ... just sayin')
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

You are amazing.

You are as far from unworthy as they come. If you need anything, please let us know! I'm pretty sure we can even mail order you food if needed. If it comes to that, we'll try to make sure Daehawk gets greeting card duty and doesn't select any foodstuffs to be delivered. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I pick bad eats? :ninja: I am a good cook though just a terrible shipper. And yes I said shipper...not stripper.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am I pick bad eats? :ninja: I am a good cook though just a terrible shipper. And yes I said shipper...not stripper.
So... you're a good stripper? :?:

Not sure that's what she needs at this time. Better stick to the food and greeting cards. :P

MHS - I only now what little I've read on the forums over the years, but you seem like a good person who really enjoys life and people. Unless they are going to find some saint or the person who's going to cure cancer or something to give it to, who would be more deserving than a good person who will take advantage of the gift really live some more?