Kidney Update- Successful Transplant! May 23

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Re: Kidney Update (Cross Posted from Facebook)

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am I pick bad eats? :ninja: I am a good cook though just a terrible shipper. And yes I said shipper...not stripper.
I have no idea how you are as a chef. I just know that some of the myriad "foodstuffs" you post here that you found at the store are, perhaps, questionable for a recovery diet. :)
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Thanks for the update. From everyone in the Moat_Family, we send best wishes and hope things go smoothly!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Yes, thank you for the update. The days must be a tangle of emotions. Keep on breathing through and accept you are loved.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am I pick bad eats? :ninja: I am a good cook though just a terrible shipper. And yes I said shipper...not stripper.
I have no idea how you are as a chef. I just know that some of the myriad "foodstuffs" you post here that you found at the store are, perhaps, questionable for a recovery diet. :)
Tomorrow I make my homemade banana pudding. You would be surprised just how good it is. And if you compare it to BP made with Jello brand vanilla pudding its like heaven itself :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm approved as a good candidate for kidney transplant. Woo-hoo! One final hurdle as they coordinate with my insurance and then I'll get my recipient ID. Once I have that, we can start the RNA and crossmatch testing with the potential donor. She's already started general health testing (mammo, pap, blood work, physical) and her GfR (the standard by which they measure kidneys) is 113, compared to my 16. Those are some quality, grade A, premium kidneys.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fantastic MHS! Thanks much for the update, continuing to keep you in my thoughts.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'll betcha she wishes she had your lungs, though........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Excellent news!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:clap:
MHS

Post by MHS »

stimpy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm I'll betcha she wishes she had your lungs, though........
:lol: She bikes 8 miles round-trip back and forth to work each day. I...do not. I'm guessing her lungs are way better than mine. But I'll settle for just getting her kidney. Muah-haha.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woohoo!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

MHS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm
stimpy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm I'll betcha she wishes she had your lungs, though........
:lol: She bikes 8 miles round-trip back and forth to work each day. I...do not. I'm guessing her lungs are way better than mine. But I'll settle for just getting her kidney. Muah-haha.
For now. One step (body part) at a time . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She seems a very active athletic person. Im curious what giving up a kidney does in the way of limiting her. Im guessing no alcohol and such but no idea what else.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm She seems a very active athletic person. Im curious what giving up a kidney does in the way of limiting her. Im guessing no alcohol and such but no idea what else.
From kidney.org
How does living donation affect the donor?
People can live normal lives with only one kidney. As long as the donor is evaluated thoroughly and cleared for donation, he or she can lead a normal life after the surgery. When the kidney is removed, the single normal kidney will increase in size to compensate for the loss of the donated kidney.

Physical exercise is healthy and good for you. However, it's important for someone with only one kidney to be careful and protect it from injury. Some doctors think it is best to avoid contact sports like football, boxing, hockey, soccer, martial arts, or wrestling. Wearing protective gear such as padded vests under clothing can help protect the kidney from injury during sports. This can help lessen the risk, but it won't take away the risk. Talk to your healthcare provider if you want to join in contact sports.

Donors are encouraged to have good long-term medical follow-up with their primary care doctors. A urine test, a blood pressure check and a blood test for kidney function (GFR) should be done every year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm She seems a very active athletic person. Im curious what giving up a kidney does in the way of limiting her. Im guessing no alcohol and such but no idea what else.
The only real long term issues are that they recommend giving up NSAID pain medications (Advil, Aleeve, etc.) and they aren’t fans of contact sports afterward. Alcohol isn’t an issue. The period of time immediately following transplant is MUCH harder on the donor though. I’ve had years (decades) to gradually acclimate to feeling like crap, so (apparently) I don’t realize just how bad I feel. The donor will go from 113 to probably about 70 gfr immediately. She’ll gradually go back up a bit as the remaining kidney learns to do the work of two, but she’ll never be as high as she was. Whereas I’ll go from 16% function to above 50%, which supposedly makes me feel like god compared to how I currently feel. Her biggest concern is that she loves Advil, but she’s prepared to make that sacrifice.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

She was told to expect her one-kidney function to drop by about 15%. Her GFR has her somewhere around an average 28-year old, so with a 15% reduction, that'd put her around an average 47-year old.

She's 42 FWIW.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alcohol is beneficial because it kills germs. Combine that with eating a lot of kidney beans, and you're all set. I thought everybody knew that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ah much better for her than I always figured. Did not know Advil and such was hard on kidneys.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm Alcohol is beneficial because it kills germs. Combine that with eating a lot of kidney beans, and you're all set. I thought everybody knew that.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 pm Ah much better for her than I always figured. Did not know Advil and such was hard on kidneys.
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/pa ... analgesics "Heavy or long-term use of some of these medicines, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, and higher dose aspirin, can cause chronic kidney disease known as chronic interstitial nephritis"

Painkillers can absolutely ruin your kidneys, especially if taken more than recommended.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Best of thoughts with you and the donor.

I'm glad you knew such a courageous and selfless person.

I can't think of anything more admirable a person could do.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Rip wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:37 pm Best of thoughts with you and the donor.

I'm glad you knew such a courageous and selfless person.

I can't think of anything more admirable a person could do.
Yup. People keep saying they're praying for me and I keep saying "Pray for the donor, she's the rock star. All I had to do was have shitty kidneys; no hard work or selflessness required on my part, just bad genetics."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Excellent news!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Great news, MHS! So happy to hear this.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

That is great news! It's a big box to check off on your "Things to do to get a kidney" list.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Couple more and you will need to start an annual "Donor Appreciation Day".

:D
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Holman

Post by Holman »

Great news!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Hey, MHS, I've been away from OO for a long time, and this is what I find when I come back to visit? ;)

Best wishes to you & your donor. It makes me smile to see that you have so much support from Meal and all your friends here.
Conform or be cast out!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

MHS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm I'm approved as a good candidate for kidney transplant. Woo-hoo! One final hurdle as they coordinate with my insurance and then I'll get my recipient ID. Once I have that, we can start the RNA and crossmatch testing with the potential donor. She's already started general health testing (mammo, pap, blood work, physical) and her GfR (the standard by which they measure kidneys) is 113, compared to my 16. Those are some quality, grade A, premium kidneys.
Good luck. I'm really pulling for you.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
MHS

Post by MHS »

Hrdina wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:00 am Hey, MHS, I've been away from OO for a long time, and this is what I find when I come back to visit? ;)

Best wishes to you & your donor. It makes me smile to see that you have so much support from Meal and all your friends here.
Just don't disappear again, who knows what will fail on whom next time. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hi MHS. Just wanted to check in and see how things are going with both you and your donor. Hope all is well and that you had a better holiday knowing your life will improve dramatically soon'ish :) Wishing you well in other words.

Dae
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:58 am Hi MHS. Just wanted to check in and see how things are going with both you and your donor. Hope all is well and that you had a better holiday knowing your life will improve dramatically soon'ish :) Wishing you well in other words.

Dae
Thanks for asking! I'm doing ok. My donor has started her testing but OMG, things move slowwwwwwly. She's had all of her basic physical fitness stuff but there was some insurance kerfuffle (nobody on her end knew how to bill the people on my end instead of billing her insurance) so things were at a standstill for a bit. She'll be flying to Colorado sometime in February for us to do the blood and tissue matching and then we can (hopefully) finally get the actual surgery on the calendar. Fortunately, I'm pretty stable and still have high enough function that I'm getting through my days ok. I'm not very exciting, pretty much all I do is work and sleep, but I'm still putting one foot in front of the other. :) I could also accept a cadaver kidney if one becomes available meanwhile, but live donation organs last much longer than cadaver organs, so since I'm not in immediate, life-threatening urgent need quite yet, I'd likely turn one down if they called me. But I still have to notify them every time I go out of town (haha, poor them, with my work travel schedule [I'm writing this from an airport]) and I have to do blood work every 4 weeks and FedEx it to them (it's weird driving around with vials of my own blood in the car with me but I could stage a hell of a crime scene) and I'm not technically allowed to drink at all since they want to be able to do surgery at any given time if a viable kidney comes up for grabs.I'm kind of ignoring that last part (not that I'm much of a drinker anyway) since I'm not really planning on emergency-type transplant, but it's been interesting to see the whole process and realize all the little things I'd never thought about.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bit of a setback yesterday. My potential donor came out earlier this week to do her full day of testing. In addition to another issue I won't get into because of potential HIPAA violations, her CT scan shows that each kidney has 2 renal veins, which could present a complication during surgery. They tend to err SUPER high on the side of caution (rightly so) with anything that could cause a complication; you don't want to take a perfectly healthy human being and mess them up. It doesn't mean she's a no, but they are going to review the CT scan more closely and that, plus the other issue I can't get into, might mean she's declined and I'm back to hoping for a cadaver kidney.

I guess the CT scan is the big boss of the process, something like 40% of potential donors who are declined are because there's something in the scan (multiple veins, renal artery is too short, kidneys are tucked under the ribs too much, etc.) that could present a complication they don't want to have to risk dealing with. Kind of makes me wonder why they run any of the other tests without checking that first, but of course, they couldn't bill me for the $20,000 or whatever for the full day costs if they did that. :icon-rolleyes:

Anyway, that's my update for now. Will keep everyone abreast as things move along.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Here is hoping that turns out to be just a small thing and that it doesn't derail this.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Good luck. I hope it comes out ok.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good luck, Shannon, not on FB anymore, so glad you are posting here as well.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sorry to read of your discouraging news MHS, and best wishes going forward.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

MHS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 pm Kind of makes me wonder why they run any of the other tests without checking that first, but of course, they couldn't bill me for the $20,000 or whatever for the full day costs if they did that. :icon-rolleyes:
Is there a gofundme campaign out there?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If I were a cadaver I wouldn't hesitate to give you a kidney. I hope they find one as willing, if it comes to that.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Moliere wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm
MHS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 pm Kind of makes me wonder why they run any of the other tests without checking that first, but of course, they couldn't bill me for the $20,000 or whatever for the full day costs if they did that. :icon-rolleyes:
Is there a gofundme campaign out there?
Not yet, thanks for asking. My insurance covers her and me, but of course the deductibles and co-pays add up. Right now, we are using money saved knowing this would happen eventually. I’ve met my out of pocket max for this year, new year rolls over May 1. If a transplant doesn’t happen by then (which it probably won’t), I may have to consider doing something else, because my savings all went to this year’s expenses.