Monte Cristo sandwich

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Monte Cristo sandwich

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Starting this so as not to derail the Trump investigation trainwreck thread.

Hepcat, I propose a Monte Cristo a month until we find a suitable Bennigans replacement. You can pick first. Here's a list to get started.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Re: Monte Cristo sandwich

Post by Holman »

My God! Stop! You'll kill yourselves!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Mmmm...Ann Sather's...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hands down my favorite sandwich.

The best I ever had was in a small town in Vermont. No cold cuts. They used sliced ham and turkey. It came with maple syrup to dip it in. Divine. Sadly that restaurant closed.

The worst was at a chain restaurant that thought they decided to skip the french toast and just batter and fry the entire sandwich. It was awful. Grease pooled. Yuck.

There is a new breakfast place nearby that does one. It's okay. It's a bit dry. And they don't provide any where near enough jam to correct that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

No problems with the Monte Cristo, but a Cuban sandwich done right? Best thing on this earth.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'll have to try making it one of these days: https://www.macheesmo.com/the-classic-m ... -sandwich/

There aren't many places around here that serve it...for that matter, there aren't enough good breakfast places around here, period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Pretty much just when I discovered that sandwich, Bennigan's goes and shuts down. I keep watching Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives and wanting to eat at all those places, there should be a Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives vacation package.
two months
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I grew up making these in the restaurant where I learned to cook but never knew their proper name because the menu called them a "Chomp" sandwich for some silly reason.

Ours had bacon, turkey, ham and swiss. Strawberry jam on the side...
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I much prefer raspberry jam. Otherwise it sounds yummy.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Actually offered at Disneyland finally.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hentzau wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm Mmmm...Ann Sather's...
Unfortunately it appears that they took it upon themselves to go open faced:
Monte Cristo Breakfast* $11.75
Two Pieces of Our Homemade French Toast Topped with a Slice of Ham and Scrambled Eggs with Swiss Cheese, Served with a Side of Imported Lingonberries
Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have never eaten a Monte Cristo sandwich. Not exactly sure how I'd remedy that as I can't seem to recall it being offered around these parts.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cafeteria at one of my former employers offered Monte Cristos once a month or so. I usually bought it despite coworkers calling it a calorific heart-attack-on-a-plate. I was still skinny back then.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For all my talk of the fabled Monte Cristo and its many deliciously dangerous delights, I've only ever eaten the Bennigans version. I fear that I may have started at the top of that deep fried pyramid of perfection. All other attempts would just disappoint and bring me closer to the abyss that is home to those who have experienced the Monte Cristo, only to then be deprived of it.

HOWEVER, never let it be said that I was a quitter (unless you know me personally, in which case I can't stop you as I really can't refute your vast amount of evidence to the contrary). So I will embark on this enticing, yet decidedly cardio unfriendly, experiment. I will look for one near the upcoming Octocon event this weekend. Perhaps I can begin my journey there? At the very least, I would have someone along to operate the defibrillator.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am
Monte Cristo Breakfast* $11.75
Two Pieces of Our Homemade French Toast Topped with a Slice of Ham and Scrambled Eggs with Swiss Cheese, Served with a Side of Imported Lingonberries
Enlarge Image
This is an abomination that must be cast out of our society.

p.s. Hmm... the chef at David Burke's Primehouse (it's on the list lawbeef linked to) is a close friend of a friend. Next time that friend visits, I may have him go with me so I can get another tour of the kitchen and watch them make it for me.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've already done some preliminary searching for you around OctoCon, hep. Options don't look good, I'm sorry to say.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've eaten it twice, both at Bennigan's. The first thing time I had it I thought it was fantastic. The second time, not so much and I could feel myself dying as I ate it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cheddar's (now with the pretentious Scratch Kitchen added) has served one for a while, but I try to avoid eating there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm Cheddar's (now with the pretentious Scratch Kitchen added) has served one for a while, but I try to avoid eating there.
I took some of my minions there last year for a holiday lunch after going there with my family a few weeks early. The minions actually requested it; prices were good and the food was fine. Not sure if there others in the Chicago area...this one is about a half-light year away from Octocon.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:03 pm I've eaten it twice, both at Bennigan's. The first thing time I had it I thought it was fantastic. The second time, not so much and I could feel myself dying as I ate it.
The French have a name for that. La petite mort.
Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm I took some of my minions there last year for a holiday lunch after going there with my family a few weeks early. The minions actually requested it; prices were good and the food was fine. Not sure if there others in the Chicago area...this one is about a half-light year away from Octocon.
Calling people you work with "minions" must endear you to them quickly. :P
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:34 pm I took some of my minions there last year for a holiday lunch after going there with my family a few weeks early. The minions actually requested it; prices were good and the food was fine. Not sure if there others in the Chicago area...this one is about a half-light year away from Octocon.
I used to call them slaves. They were promoted to minions. After all, they do my bidding, is that not the definition of minion?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Only to those with poor management skills. :wink:

<I tease because I'm assuming you only say this on a forum with friends and not in real life.>
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 pm
It actually goes over as amusing at my work location. I only have the one, however.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should look more closely at any foodstuffs your employee hands you. :ninja:

Except for the Monte Cristo! The deep frying kills all germs from spit and urine! It really is a Superfood.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

In the theoretical event that one would ever deign to offer me food, I would certainly wait until they have some first. Food tester would become one of their job responsibilities...I can edit their job descriptions in a heartbeat.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 am Actually offered at Disneyland finally.
Finally? They've had it in the Blue Bayou since I was a child. That's the first place I ever experienced one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sadly, hep, I suspect that our friendship is going to be jeopardized here...

Deep frying a Monte Cristo is a travesty. The only time I had one that way (which I am fairly certain was at a Bennigans), it was horrible. The grease pooled as it cooled. Utterly disgusting. Much like a Manhattan Clam Chowder </shudder>, such a monstrosity should not exist.

I will try to look past your horrible lapse in judgement...

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Into every generation a mutation must occur. Unfortunately you didn't get cool superpowers. Just messed up taste buds. I will call you "Tasty". It's sort of an ironic superhero name since you don't...you know...have taste.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm In the theoretical event that one would ever deign to offer me food, I would certainly wait until they have some first. Food tester would become one of their job responsibilities...I can edit their job descriptions in a heartbeat.
:lol:
He won. Period.