MLB Regular Season 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Re: MLB Off Season 2017-2018

Post by Kelric »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am Arrieta to the Phillies. I don't understand this move at all on either side. The Phillies aren't going to contend and I'm sure Jake could have gotten a contract like he got on a team that will contend. Shrug...
With the way this FA market is going it doesn't seem like he would be getting those dollars elsewhere. His peripherals are sliding and most teams that are expecting to compete for the playoffs are trying to reset their luxury tax penalties. If he wants his money this was probably the best bet. And, other than money, what does it cost the Phillies? It costs them their 3rd rounder, but only four players have put up more than 6 career WAR from that spot - Zack Cozart, Jordy Mercer, DJ LeMaheiu and John Olerud. It is a move similar to Detroit signing Ivan Rodriguez in 2004 or the Nats signing Jayson Werth in 2011: We're ready to be respectable again and hope to be in the playoffs during this contract. Add Arrieta to Carlos Santana and they're ready to be taken seriously.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Food Fest
MLB FoodFest is a two-day, indoor festival in New York City that gives fans the opportunity to try dishes from all 30 ballparks.

APRIL 21 + 22
11 A.M. - 9 P.M.
415 5TH AVE, NEW YORK NY 10016
Because if any place needs to host this gastronomic circus, it's New York City, home of the average fan. At least food-only tickets are reasonable at $25, which includes water and soda. Three beer tickets push you to $40.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kelric wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:55 am Arrieta to the Phillies. I don't understand this move at all on either side. The Phillies aren't going to contend and I'm sure Jake could have gotten a contract like he got on a team that will contend. Shrug...
With the way this FA market is going it doesn't seem like he would be getting those dollars elsewhere. His peripherals are sliding and most teams that are expecting to compete for the playoffs are trying to reset their luxury tax penalties. If he wants his money this was probably the best bet. And, other than money, what does it cost the Phillies? It costs them their 3rd rounder, but only four players have put up more than 6 career WAR from that spot - Zack Cozart, Jordy Mercer, DJ LeMaheiu and John Olerud. It is a move similar to Detroit signing Ivan Rodriguez in 2004 or the Nats signing Jayson Werth in 2011: We're ready to be respectable again and hope to be in the playoffs during this contract. Add Arrieta to Carlos Santana and they're ready to be taken seriously.
Boras and Tommy Hunter convinced him to take the money. Can't blame him, he was almost out of baseball when he went to the Cubs.

No way a contending club matches that money. With bonuses he can get up to $30M in year 4 and 5, the option years.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 pm Food Fest
MLB FoodFest is a two-day, indoor festival in New York City that gives fans the opportunity to try dishes from all 30 ballparks.

APRIL 21 + 22
11 A.M. - 9 P.M.
415 5TH AVE, NEW YORK NY 10016
Because if any place needs to host this gastronomic circus, it's New York City, home of the average fan. At least food-only tickets are reasonable at $25, which includes water and soda. Three beer tickets push you to $40.
You'll need more than 3 beers to wash down that big bowl of Seattle grasshoppers.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm
Kelric wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 am
Boras and Tommy Hunter convinced him to take the money. Can't blame him, he was almost out of baseball when he went to the Cubs.

No way a contending club matches that money. With bonuses he can get up to $30M in year 4 and 5, the option years.
All things considered, this is a nice contract for Jake. If he maintains current levels (or even regains some of that 2015 form) and the Phillies are in the thick of pennant races after 3 years, I could easily see them picking up the option (assuming the bottom doesn't otherwise fall out of the market). If he continues his decline or if the Phillies rebuild is a bust, then he's still got $75M to console himself with before signing a much lower contract in 3 years.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

How about those Twins? If they don't make any more moves they'll be at a team record $126M payroll.... but that plummets to $39M guaranteed for 2019. With six guys entering their 2nd or 3rd years of arbitration and seven entering their first it will obviously rise, but they are well positioned moving forward.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

As long as the Giants still suck, it's all good :)

Can't wait for opening day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Damn Turner got his wrist broken, probably won't play until May. Sigh. The Dodgers say they aren't going to sign a temp replacement but we'll have to see how the team does without him.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to Marinara Mode.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Cobb to the Orioles, supposedly, and if he passes the notorious physical. That said, with Cashner looking ok in ST, I'm a little happier with Bundy, Gausman, Cashner and Cobb (and maybe Tillman rebounds), than I was at the start of the offseason. Sure, we aren't printing playoff tickets, but it should make things more competitive when I down at the ballpark attending games.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Two things, one of which is a little R&P related.

1) In the Omnibus spending bill that may pass by tomorrow, MLB has successfully lobbied Congress to exempt minor league players from federal labor law. Hooray?

2) Yu Darvish was filthy against the Rangers yesterday. Here's hoping I can see him pitch in person when the Cubs roll through DC this season.

Hodor.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The underpayment of MiLB players is ridiculous. If a franchise has 200 minor leaguers and pays them $28k a year (about twice the federal poverty level) they'd only be putting out $5.6M a year in salaries. Some MLB players who make around $5.6M right now - Kevin Gausman, Pedro Strop, and Scooter Gennett. One Scooter Gennett would make a world of difference in the lives of 200 other athletes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 pm Cobb to the Orioles, supposedly, and if he passes the notorious physical. That said, with Cashner looking ok in ST, I'm a little happier with Bundy, Gausman, Cashner and Cobb (and maybe Tillman rebounds), than I was at the start of the offseason. Sure, we aren't printing playoff tickets, but it should make things more competitive when I down at the ballpark attending games.
The Cobb signing may work out, but I can see why GM's would be reluctant to give an aging pitcher already coming off Tommy John a long term contract.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Congrats Lorini

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

naednek wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:26 am Congrats Lorini

Sorry about Bumgarner.

Although 2014 still kinda stings...

No, really. We're sorry.

mostly. :wink:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Uh what?? What happened with MadBum??

Thursday the MLB 2018 thread will be up, so excited for the upcoming season!!! Hope the Giants are competitive this year, it's no fun mowing down a rival, you want to be on the edge of your seat and for the games to really matter.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Madison Bumgarner Hand Injury After Hit by Line Drive Diagnosed as Fracture
According to Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic, Bumgarner will undergo surgery Saturday to have pins put in place in his knuckle. The pins will be removed in four to six weeks, and the pitcher said he believes he will pitch before the All-Star break.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well the Dodgers lost JT Turner to a hit by a pitch. More reason in my opinion to have the DH rule, stupid to lose your best pitcher that way.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lorini wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 am Well the Dodgers lost JT Turner to a hit by a pitch. More reason in my opinion to have the DH rule, stupid to lose your best pitcher that way.
Bumgarner wasn't batting when he was hit, so your DH argument fails here.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I found that out finally. He put his hand up to stop a pitch apparently, dumb idea?
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:31 am Yeah I found that out finally. He put his hand up to stop a pitch apparently, dumb idea?
natural reaction?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I do wonder if it were to happen again would he do the same thing. I bet not.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Food
Texas Rangers:
The Dilly Dog: This is dill pickle that is cored out and stuffed with our a jumbo hot dog, then it is battered and fried.
The Triple B: Bacon, Brisket and Bologna topped BBQ sauce.
Cheetos Jalapeno Bacon Dog: It's a hot dog wrapped in bacon covered with Cheetos Cheese sauce and topped with spicy jalapenos and crunchy Cheetos.

They also have a Home Plate chicken sandwich. Yes, it's billed as having fried chicken on it as big as home plate. A gigantic cinnamon roll and Rold Gold Waffle Cone ice cream round out the sweet tooth menu. Finally, Ham Fries. Yes, ham cut into sticks, battered and deep fried.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So, Opening day is this week. Didn't it always used to be the day of the NCAA basketball championship (or at least that Sunday for the Reds)? why almost a week earlier now?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Salvy Perez slipped last night carrying his luggage and has MCL tear. Out 4-6 weeks.
:grund:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Knees are kind of important for a catcher.
Jaymann

Re: MLB Regular Season 2018

Post by Jaymann »

At last it's on!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 pm At last it's on!
Finally. (And since I'm on spring break - I can see the afternoon opener easily!) :dance:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kelric wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 pm The underpayment of MiLB players is ridiculous. If a franchise has 200 minor leaguers and pays them $28k a year (about twice the federal poverty level) they'd only be putting out $5.6M a year in salaries. Some MLB players who make around $5.6M right now - Kevin Gausman, Pedro Strop, and Scooter Gennett. One Scooter Gennett would make a world of difference in the lives of 200 other athletes.
I don't think most minor leaguers are paid by MLB. Isn't it only the guys on the 40 man roster?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Research suggests that minimum minor league salaries set by the CBA is limited to covered MLBPA members, which is limited to 40-man rosters.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 am Research suggests that minimum minor league salaries set by the CBA is limited to covered MLBPA members, which is limited to 40-man rosters.
This article suggests MLB pays MiLB salaries. The CBA only covers MLBPA members, which does not include minor leaguers, but the big league franchises still pay them (I think).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, the ringers tend to be making millions while inn the juniors. It's on the interest of developing these chosen few that they support the entire minor league system. They've been doing this forever, I bet if they had a do-over they'd use college instead like football and basketball.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

That's just sad, I mean really, can't get one friggin run on opening day, against a pitcher not named MadBum.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Classic Giants win!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bah, the Angels blow a 4-0 lead in extra innings. Just wail til next year!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kelric wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:30 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 am Research suggests that minimum minor league salaries set by the CBA is limited to covered MLBPA members, which is limited to 40-man rosters.
This article suggests MLB pays MiLB salaries. The CBA only covers MLBPA members, which does not include minor leaguers, but the big league franchises still pay them (I think).
I'm guessing it depends on the minor league team. Some minor league teams are completely owned by the major league team. Other leagues are completely unaffiliated with MLB.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog